Lying or Deceiving to Evangelize

Discussion for Christian perspectives on ethical issues such as abortion, euthanasia, sexuality, and so forth.
Mariolee
Recognized Member
Christian: Yes

Lying or Deceiving to Evangelize

Post by Mariolee »

Something has been bothering me about certain mission trips to evangelize, and it's more of a moral dilemma and would love to hear your guys' opinions on it. Well, the other day a friend of mine told me about how other countries will completely shut you down if you say you are going to evangelize.

Apparently his church went on a Tsunami Relief mission trip primarily to spread the word of Jesus by helping out, and he told me they were "trained" into what to say and how to say it. He told me that they would say that they are simply going on a Tsunami Relief trip, giving the passport-checkers or whatever the impression that they would do nothing else aside from that.

He justified this by saying, "Well, we weren't really lying!" But I thought it was really deceitful and manipulative of them, and yeah lots of people were saved, but just because one has good intentions doesn't mean one is allowed to use any means necessary to see them through, right?

I mean, if we compromise one of our core beliefs in order to spread the Word of God, is it morally acceptable? Aren't we being complete hypocrites, and is there honestly no other way? I don't believe God would ever put us in a position where we would have to sin in order to do what He commands or desires. I'm bringing this up because this isn't the first time I've heard of churches doing this, and I'd love to get a second opinion on this.
How do some people mess up a message about "love" and "forgiveness" so much?!
neo-x
Ultimate Member
Sex: Male

Re: Lying or Deceiving to Evangelize

Post by neo-x »

I don't know Mariolee.

I mean, I think we should tell the truth always. But there are certain places where I would happily lie.

don't mind the hard language, just for illustration.
e.g A sick psychopath enters your home at night, kills your father in front of you, cuz he is the only man in the house and he came to defend you. Now the guy asks you, "is there anyone else in the home?" you know your baby girl of 6 is sleeping in the farthest room at the end. would you tell him the truth? would you even think that this guy has the authority to over you? In principle, he doesn't but In the present circumstance he does and can kill your daughter. Do you think telling the truth is something you should do?

another one, you are hiding a jew family in your home. You are a German, living in Nazi Germany, the SS comes to investigate you, you think you can get away with it. You are confident. Would you straight tell them the truth, because the Govt. expects you to do so, but would you consider it the right thing to do?

my point, if people start oppressing you to the point where you can't object to a certain preference of theirs, that cancels out yours, would you still obey? Had Moses parents done that, what do you think would be the result? Moses mother basically cheated the Govt. didn't she, she hid her child from them for three months, do you think it was manipulative of her? Yet the bible says in Heb 11, it was with her faith that she hid Moses. Or didn't the prostitute, Rahab, in the book of Joshua, hid spies in her home in order to accommodate them, yet the Bible says it was her faith, that saved her.

So, no I wouldn't say we should lie to full fill our gains, but when the situation demands at a point where it is beyond justice, morals, ethics, liberty and freedom, then I do not think I am obliged. God is not blind, I may not have done the best thing, yeah but then, the best thing was a danger to many. If God still wants to punish me for that, I am all up for it. But it was God himself who gave me the sense to see the injustice around me. To tell, that the world will always hate me for being a Christian and believing in a God.

If I am not allowed to speak my faith, then that is a wrong thing to begin with, that is a block to my human and basic rights? If I then do it secretly, I shouldn't be held responsible, the early church went out like that, secretly convening together.

I am not saying we are permitted to sin, but if you can outsmart them, then do it.
It would be a blessing if they missed the cairns and got lost on the way back. Or if
the Thing on the ice got them tonight.

I could only turn and stare in horror at the chief surgeon.
Death by starvation is a terrible thing, Goodsir, continued Stanley.
And with that we went below to the flame-flickering Darkness of the lower deck
and to a cold almost the equal of the Dante-esque Ninth Circle Arctic Night
without.

//johnadavid.wordpress.com
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

I agree with neo on this. Especially the nazi illustration. This is the only problem I have:
He justified this by saying, "Well, we weren't really lying!"
Why would he have to tell you he wasn't lying. Couldn't he just have said that he felt his lying was justified in this case?
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Widge
Recognized Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by Widge »

RickD wrote:I agree with neo on this. Especially the nazi illustration. This is the only problem I have:
Why would he have to tell you he wasn't lying. Couldn't he just have said that he felt his lying was justified in this case?
People who lie to evangalize are insulting God. Same with churches who worship but ignore the poor and widow
neo-x
Ultimate Member

Post by neo-x »

RickD on Thu Nov 17, 2011 7:08 pm

I agree with neo on this. Especially the nazi illustration. This is the only problem I have:

Agreed.
It would be a blessing if they missed the cairns and got lost on the way back. Or if
the Thing on the ice got them tonight.

I could only turn and stare in horror at the chief surgeon.
Death by starvation is a terrible thing, Goodsir, continued Stanley.
And with that we went below to the flame-flickering Darkness of the lower deck
and to a cold almost the equal of the Dante-esque Ninth Circle Arctic Night
without.

//johnadavid.wordpress.com
Murray
Esteemed Senior Member
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by Murray »

Widge wrote:
People who lie to evangalize are insulting God. Same with churches who worship but ignore the poor and widow

can't say I've ever heard of a large church not helping the poor.....
in nomine patri et fili spiritu sancte