Free will and Omniscience

General discussions about Christianity including salvation, heaven and hell, Christian history and so on.
neo-x
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male

Re: Free will and Omniscience

Post by neo-x »

God predestines who will be saved, and we must choose Christ in order to be saved. Based on what is said above, God knows what everybody will choose.
The problem is, if God predestines who will be saved then what everybody will choose doesn't matter, Hana. Unless we say that God has predestined that everyone be saved and we get the choice to choose (as in we have the will to accept God's gift of grace), I don't see how the above two lines support each other because they actually contradict.
It would be a blessing if they missed the cairns and got lost on the way back. Or if
the Thing on the ice got them tonight.

I could only turn and stare in horror at the chief surgeon.
Death by starvation is a terrible thing, Goodsir, continued Stanley.
And with that we went below to the flame-flickering Darkness of the lower deck
and to a cold almost the equal of the Dante-esque Ninth Circle Arctic Night
without.

//johnadavid.wordpress.com
CeT-To
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by CeT-To »

God chose us to choose him, but will we?
But joy and happiness in you to all who seek you! Let them ceaselessly cry,"Great is Yahweh" who love your saving power. Psalm 40:16

I Praise you Yahweh, my Lord, my God!!!!!
1over137
Technical Admin
Sex: Female

Post by 1over137 »

neo-x wrote:
God predestines who will be saved, and we must choose Christ in order to be saved. Based on what is said above, God knows what everybody will choose.
The problem is, if God predestines who will be saved then what everybody will choose doesn't matter, Hana. Unless we say that God has predestined that everyone be saved and we get the choice to choose (as in we have the will to accept God's gift of grace), I don't see how the above two lines support each other because they actually contradict.
You say that what everybody will choose does not matter. It does not have to be the case. God created our world. And He somehow can be outside of our world and also outside of our time. So God can look into our past as well as our future. So, He may have looked to our future, see what everybody will choose and then say which people are 'predestined'.
But examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
-- 1 Thessalonians 5:21

For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.
-- Philippians 1:6

#foreverinmyheart
neo-x
Ultimate Member

Post by neo-x »

You say that what everybody will choose does not matter. It does not have to be the case. God created our world. And He somehow can be outside of our world and also outside of our time. So God can look into our past as well as our future. So, He may have looked to our future, see what everybody will choose and then say which people are 'predestined'.
I have no problem with this Hana, but when it comes with the idea that some people are saved and some are not and that the choice is not that open as it sounds, then I can't really digest that. Because if you agree with me then I rally don't think predestination is an issue neither is omniscience. this only becomes an issue when one is considered absolute and the other obsolete.
It would be a blessing if they missed the cairns and got lost on the way back. Or if

without.

1over137
Technical Admin

Post by 1over137 »

neo-x wrote: I have no problem with this Hana, but when it comes with the idea that some people are saved and some are not and that the choice is not that open as it sounds, then I can't really digest that. Because if you agree with me then I rally don't think predestination is an issue neither is omniscience. this only becomes an issue when one is considered absolute and the other obsolete.
People did choices in their future. (Or is this nonsense?) Some wanted to rebel and some wanted to obey. God knows who wanted to rebel and who wanted to obey. Chosen people are those who were obeying God. I believe that God's looking into the future and then back is not destroying course of events.
Now, we are free to do choices. We were free to do the choices in the future.

For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.

#foreverinmyheart
neo-x
Ultimate Member

Post by neo-x »

1over137 on Mon Nov 14, 2011 5:43 pm

neo-x wrote:
I have no problem with this Hana, but when it comes with the idea that some people are saved and some are not and that the choice is not that open as it sounds, then I can't really digest that. Because if you agree with me then I rally don't think predestination is an issue neither is omniscience. this only becomes an issue when one is considered absolute and the other obsolete.

People did choices in their future. (Or is this nonsense?) Some wanted to rebel and some wanted to obey. God knows who wanted to rebel and who wanted to obey. Chosen people are those who were obeying God. I believe that God's looking into the future and then back is not destroying course of events.
Now, we are free to do choices. We were free to do the choices in the future.
Okay, I have nothing against this idea. (nothing is nonsense, it is a great disscussion :esmile: ) but the very idea of God knowing future events, to me, makes the future concrete, this thread initially is full of my posts on this point and I certainly will not like to repeat that. Perhaps you can read my initial posts.

my question

Those who are obeying now will not be consistent forever, if they choose(sin is a choice) to disobey later, since I assume that you would agree with me that people can be disobedient and certainly can walk away from God and back into their worldly lives, then aren't those who are chosen now, will not remain chosen? and if so then what is the point of choosing ahead like this if this can change? I mean this makes predestination almost a joke. What is predestination, if it gets changed later? :scratch:

you see my point?

without.

1over137
Technical Admin

Post by 1over137 »

neo-x wrote: Those who are obeying now will not be consistent forever, if they choose(sin is a choice) to disobey later, since I assume that you would agree with me that people can be disobedient and certainly can walk away from God and back into their worldly lives, then aren't those who are chosen now, will not remain chosen? and if so then what is the point of choosing ahead like this if this can change? I mean this makes predestination almost a joke. What is predestination, if it gets changed later? :scratch:
you see my point?
So, you think on those people who once where believers (obeying) and then they decided to not believe (not obey). I do not see a problem here since God chooses after the person's death (death in the future). If the person died in the future as a nonbeliever then the person is not chosen. If the person died as a believer then the person is chosen. So predestination does not get changed.

#foreverinmyheart
CeT-To

Post by CeT-To »

1over137 wrote:
neo-x wrote:
Hmm this doesn't make sense, once God created something God entered into a temporal state. It doesn't make sense at all to say that God is outside time and he looks into our past and future because if that was true then Jesus is still there at the cross somewhat 2000 years ago still existing in the past yet also existing in the future in heaven with God right now, yet that's a contradiction. The fact is that the past does not exist any more and the future is potentiality - God knows but he isn't outside time and doesn't need to be, certainly he knew as well when he was in the timeless state the end from the beginning just as much as he does now.

You get what i'm saying ?

God bless
But joy and happiness in you to all who seek you! Let them ceaselessly cry,"Great is Yahweh" who love your saving power. Psalm 40:16

1over137
Technical Admin

Post by 1over137 »

I rather will not speculate any further.

#foreverinmyheart
DannyM
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by DannyM »

1over137 wrote:He is saying we should cease discussion because it is of no value (not because it is difficult).
Thank you.
For me this thread was of some value and it haven;t ruined me at all.
Of course it is of value.
credo ut intelligam

dei gratia
DannyM
Ultimate Member

Post by DannyM »

CeT-To wrote:Hmm this doesn't make sense, once God created something God entered into a temporal state. It doesn't make sense at all to say that God is outside time and he looks into our past and future because if that was true then Jesus is still there at the cross somewhat 2000 years ago still existing in the past yet also existing in the future in heaven with God right now, yet that's a contradiction. The fact is that the past does not exist any more and the future is potentiality - God knows but he isn't outside time and doesn't need to be, certainly he knew as well when he was in the timeless state the end from the beginning just as much as he does now.
God is certainly outside of time in the sense that He is not constrained by time. I agree that the past is not occuring as we speak, any more than the future is occuring as we speak.
credo ut intelligam

dei gratia
DannyM
Ultimate Member

Post by DannyM »

Brother neo!

Crikey, when you come back you come back in force! I've put your post in a word doc, and will get on it tomorrow night. I just want to float about tonight, taking it easy ;)

God bless, Bro
credo ut intelligam

dei gratia
neo-x
Ultimate Member

Post by neo-x »

Brother neo!

Crikey, when you come back you come back in force! I've put your post in a word doc, and will get on it tomorrow night. I just want to float about tonight, taking it easy

God bless, Bro
It's all cool bro ;) , always a pleasure talking to you.

God bless you too.

without.

CeT-To

Post by CeT-To »

DannyM wrote:God is certainly outside of time in the sense that He is not constrained by time. I agree that the past is not occuring as we speak, any more than the future is occuring as we speak.
Maybe you could explain what you mean by that, Danny. In what sense would he be constrained by time? Time doesn't necessarily mean erosion, i think that it might apply to our universe as such but there are no physical or entropy laws outside the universe. But yeah explain :P
Last edited by CeT-To on Tue Nov 15, 2011 2:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

domokunrox
Valued Member

Post by domokunrox »