Apologetics not evidenceof anything?

Discussion about scientific issues as they relate to God and Christianity including archaeology, origins of life, the universe, intelligent design, evolution, etc.
dorkmaster
Recognized Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Apologetics not evidenceof anything?

Post by dorkmaster »

In a debate with an atheist, i linked tgis site to him. He immediately dismissed apologetics entirely. It seemed to me like tge only thing he would accept is a literal interpretation of the bible. How can you dismiss apologetics, tgen claim a default victory?
SnowDrops
Established Member
Christian: No
Creation Position: Undecided

Re: Apologetics not evidenceof anything?

Post by SnowDrops »

If apologetics aren't evidence, then neither are the "atheist apologetics". Sure, they don't call them that, but essentially they are. In which case almost all people alive today should be agnostics, since we don't really know what is true.
Have him explain though why they don't count. Right now it just sounds like an ad hominem attack. Or he simply has no idea what to say. Or perhaps he is commiting the logical fallacy of "the source wants to prove this, so arguments they give aren't true".

Here's a list of logical fallacies: http://www.nizkor.org/features/fallacies/
The first step to learning is to admit that you don't know.
MarcusOfLycia

Post by MarcusOfLycia »

Well, that's a non-starter for any sort of discussion. Its kind of like saying:

"Oh, you have reasons to believe what you believe? Those reasons don't count. Okay. Now, lets have a debate."
-- Josh

“When you see a man with a great deal of religion displayed in his shop window, you may depend upon it, he keeps a very small stock of it within” C.H. Spurgeon

1st Corinthians 1:17- "For Christ did not send me to baptize, but to preach the gospel””not with words of human wisdom, lest the cross of Christ be emptied of its power"
jlay
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by jlay »

Or, "We can have a debate about whether God exists, but you can't reference the Bible."
-“The Bible treated allegorically becomes putty in the hands of the exegete.” John Walvoord

"I'm not saying scientists don't overstate their results. They do. And it's understandable, too...If you spend years working toward a certain goal and make no progress, of course you are going to spin your results in a positive light." Ivellious
KravMagaSelfDefense
Recognized Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by KravMagaSelfDefense »

dorkmaster wrote:In a debate with an atheist, i linked tgis site to him. He immediately dismissed apologetics entirely. It seemed to me like tge only thing he would accept is a literal interpretation of the bible. How can you dismiss apologetics, tgen claim a default victory?
Yeah I agree with everyone else here, he doesn't sound like the kind of person you can have a rational conversation with. plus you said you "linked" the website to him, if he's a cyber-atheist then it's probably even worse, being anonymous brings out the worst in people I find. The entire point of a debate is exchanging views, if the exchange is only one-sided, with him refusing to listen to your arguments, then there's no debate at all. The truth is that you can only "dismiss apologetics then claim default victory" in your mind, your very deluded mind, because that's no victory at all, if anything it's a loss because you have revealed that you're too desperate and convicted by the evidence to even look at it... that's what it sounds like to me. Don't sweat it, I know how you feel, you just want to correct him but he won't listen, it's quite frustrating but you have to realize that with someone like that you just have to walk away. Take care! :)
Maybe the atheist cannot find God for the same reason a thief cannot find a policeman. ~Author Unknown
A man can no more diminish God's glory by refusing to worship Him than a lunatic can put out the sun by scribbling the word, 'darkness' on the walls of his cell. ~ C.S. Lewis, The Problem of Pain
Atheism turns out to be too simple. If the whole universe has no meaning, we should never have found out that it has no meaning. - C.S. Lewis.