Bible not from god?

General discussions about Christianity including salvation, heaven and hell, Christian history and so on.
Murray
Esteemed Senior Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided

Bible not from god?

Post by Murray »

Last edited by Murray on Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
in nomine patri et fili spiritu sancte
MarcusOfLycia

Re: Bible not from god?

Post by MarcusOfLycia »

I don't know any Christians who don't believe the Bible wasn't written by people and influenced it with their own writing style.
-- Josh

“When you see a man with a great deal of religion displayed in his shop window, you may depend upon it, he keeps a very small stock of it within” C.H. Spurgeon

1st Corinthians 1:17- "For Christ did not send me to baptize, but to preach the gospel””not with words of human wisdom, lest the cross of Christ be emptied of its power"
Murray
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Murray »

^

I believe the main point of issue on this is books like genesis and exodus when god spoke directly to his chosen prophets and they, if I under stand correctly, wrote his words word for word. Now they found that the style of writing differs in parts of genesis and exodus which could lead one to believe they were not directly from god.
in nomine patri et fili spiritu sancte
Telstra Robs
Established Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by Telstra Robs »

The topics contained in the first five books written by Moses differ, why is it that people must be expected to use the same writing style in different topics? Deuteronomy covers law, Genesis creation, ancient history etc. Exodus modern history and events still happening as Moses is writing.

The Bible itself is not the divine word of God in the sense that God wrote it word for word, rather the inspired word of God from men of God who wrote down what happened in regards to God, with the direction of God (e.g. some of the prophetic books such as Jeremiah are written in first person from the perspective of Jeremiah, which would mean that Jeremiah being inspired by God and not God Himself wrote the book). This does not mean that it is false, however.
DannyM
Ultimate Member

Post by DannyM »

Telstra Robs wrote:The topics contained in the first five books written by Moses differ, why is it that people must be expected to use the same writing style in different topics? Deuteronomy covers law, Genesis creation, ancient history etc. Exodus modern history and events still happening as Moses is writing.

Surely an excellent point!
credo ut intelligam

dei gratia
Canuckster1127
Old School
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by Canuckster1127 »

Murray wrote:^

I believe the main point of issue on this is books like genesis and exodus when god spoke directly to his chosen prophets and they, if I under stand correctly, wrote his words word for word. Now they found that the style of writing differs in parts of genesis and exodus which could lead one to believe they were not directly from god.
What you're describing is sometimes referred to as verbal dictation. That's one view. It's not the only one. I personally don't subscribe to it.
Dogmatism is the comfortable intellectual framework of self-righteousness. Self-righteousness is more decadent than the worst sexual sin. ~ Dan Allender
Gman
Old School

Post by Gman »

Murray wrote:Check out this article that claims the bible, through study, seems to be more of human origon than divine. Kind of a big dent in my faitth, was hopeing you guys could clear this ilk up for me.

http://news.yahoo.com/israeli-algorithm ... 28454.html
Nothing new here... Man has been saying this kind of junk for years.

There is actually a mechanics to scripture and I can tell you from experience it wasn't man made..
The heart cannot rejoice in what the mind rejects as false - Galileo

We learn from history that we do not learn from history - Georg Friedrich Wilhelm Hegel

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable, if anything is excellent or praiseworthy, think about such things. -Philippians 4:8
Jonouchi Katsuya
Established Member
Christian: No
Sex: Female

Post by Jonouchi Katsuya »

If the bible was perfect... I don't think God would have killed people... or anyone, or anything or even decreed that anyone would kill anything. I think it is only man who has such bloodlust... and that God would be above such dirty actions. (yes this is heavily tainted with strong personal belief)
Hi I am a Buddhist and I seek enlightenment. I do not know everything. I do not pretend to know everything. I desire strongly to discuss the Bible as you see it. Please correct me when I get something wrong.
Mariolee
Recognized Member

Post by Mariolee »

To the article:
OK. It's not a big surprise that the books of the Bible were written by different people, but to assume they had different secret agendas just because they weren't who we thought they might've been is absurd. I haven't believed that the Bible is the inerrant Word of God in a long time. By that I mean that God personally gave the authors word by word what to write, as there are so many different versions of the BIble out there with totally different wording. It would've been pointless.

I do believe, however, that God gave them an idea to write about. God told them to write about this idea, or this topic, or people need to realize this, etc.
Jonouchi Katsuya wrote:If the bible was perfect... I don't think God would have killed people... or anyone, or anything or even decreed that anyone would kill anything. I think it is only man who has such bloodlust... and that God would be above such dirty actions. (yes this is heavily tainted with strong personal belief)
How does that and how would that make the Bible perfect? I suggest you look around the main site more:
http://www.godandscience.org/apologetics/notkill.html
http://www.godandscience.org/apologetics/killergod.html
http://www.godandscience.org/apologetics/hell.html

You used a lot of "I thinks" in there, which are generated from your opinion. To look at something you don't agree with, you can't be "heavily tainted with strong personal belief" while analyzing it. That's unfair. You have to try your best to be unbiased.

One more thing I want to point out is if man had such a strong bloodlust, why would they fabricate the Ten Commandments, which clearly states "Thou Shalt Not Murder"?
How do some people mess up a message about "love" and "forgiveness" so much?!
jlay
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by jlay »

The scripture proves it is divine in origin. A study of Daniels weeks prophecy demonstrates the divine inspiration of scripture.

No where is it claimed that God grabbed a heavenly quill and penned the words. It says, "but holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost. (2 Peter 1:21) And, All scripture is given by inspiration of God. (2 Tim. 3:16)

Men, who make these arguments don't even understand what truth claims are being presented by the Christian faith. Or, they are arguing against those who have a distorted view of how God originated the scriptures.
-“The Bible treated allegorically becomes putty in the hands of the exegete.” John Walvoord

"I'm not saying scientists don't overstate their results. They do. And it's understandable, too...If you spend years working toward a certain goal and make no progress, of course you are going to spin your results in a positive light." Ivellious
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

Scripture being of divine ORIGIN is something that must be take on faith, there is no evidence of that.
We have evidence that man wrote it and man copied it and edited it and so forth.
Does that distract from what the Bible is?
That would depend on what a person THINKS the bible to be.
DannyM
Ultimate Member

Post by DannyM »

PaulSacramento wrote:Scripture being of divine ORIGIN is something that must be take on faith, there is no evidence of that.
We have evidence that man wrote it and man copied it and edited it and so forth.
what?
credo ut intelligam

dei gratia
Mariolee
Recognized Member

Post by Mariolee »

DannyM wrote:
PaulSacramento wrote:Scripture being of divine ORIGIN is something that must be take on faith, there is no evidence of that.
what?
He's saying that he personally believes that man wrote it from the divine inspiration of God, but that the man had put in his own personal writing styles and edits into it, but the divine original idea is still the same.

He's also saying that this shouldn't break your faith unless you used to think that the Bible was given by God word for word.

At least, I think that's what he's saying. He worded it oddly.
How do some people mess up a message about "love" and "forgiveness" so much?!
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

Mariolee wrote:
DannyM wrote:
what?
He's saying that he personally believes that man wrote it from the divine inspiration of God, but that the man had put in his own personal writing styles and edits into it, but the divine original idea is still the same.

He's also saying that this shouldn't break your faith unless you used to think that the Bible was given by God word for word.

At least, I think that's what he's saying. He worded it oddly.

I didn't realize it sounded so odd.
Sorry about that.
But yes, you are correct, that is what I was TRYING to say.

We can't use passages WITHIN the bible that say it is "divine" and "god breathed" as "proof" or "evidence" that the bible is such.
The bible is a LOT of things:
It is a book written by men inspired by God's spirit, it is a book of parables, songs, the history of a people and their struggles, a book the points the way to God, a book of so much richness and beauty and also much pain and hurt.
It is MANY things.
What it is NOT is the Living Word of God, Christ and ONLY Christ is that.
DannyM
Ultimate Member

Post by DannyM »

Just trying to follow this, Paul
PaulSacramento wrote:We can't use passages WITHIN the bible that say it is "divine" and "god breathed" as "proof" or "evidence" that the bible is such
Why not?
The bible is a LOT of things:
It is a book written by men inspired by God's spirit, it is a book of parables, songs, the history of a people and their struggles, a book the points the way to God, a book of so much richness and beauty and also much pain and hurt

It is MANY things
Absolutely
What it is NOT is the Living Word of God, Christ and ONLY Christ is that.
Of course it’s not the “living word of God”

But in the bible we have God speak and describe some of his wonderful attributes
credo ut intelligam

dei gratia