Brian "Head" Welch

Whether you are new or just lurking, take a moment to introduce yourself or discuss something general.
ratgibson
Familiar Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male

Brian "Head" Welch

Post by ratgibson »

Just curious as to anyones opinion of him now that he has found Christ and is making music for the Lord. Ive been a fan of Korn for about 10 years now although not so much anymore because of my new faith in Jesus. However I must say Brians new record "Save Me From Myself" is better than anything Korn did as a whole since "Issues" around 1999-2000

I was really worried Jesus would have made him soft (I was an athiest when he converted and shocked at his choice) but to tell the truth I think it did nothing but help. The record is quite amazing and brutally honest in ways Jon Davis should have been expressing. Brians trademark guitar sound and style are all over it which was always a major reason I dug KoRn. I am quite pleased. His book is pretty rad too.

Thoughts on him? This might be a board for the older crowd, Im still new here and havent met or talked to really any of you short of my post in Questions for Christians.
Eyes speak louder than words.
BavarianWheels
Prestigious Senior Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: Brian "Head" Welch

Post by BavarianWheels »

I had read about this and it interested me in hearing his new music...although I've never heard any of their old stuff so I don't know if I would like it. I do like classic rock such as Van Halen, Aerosmith, Quiet Riot...but I don't think the sound is the same...

It is quite encouraging that these things still happen to people within the public eye.
cslewislover
Ultimate Member
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by cslewislover »

I never listened to Korn, so I went to YouTube to try and find that song. I finally did, but his L.O.V.E. one is the easiest one to find. Not into that music (LOVE was better, it seemed to me). I did look up the lyrics, though, and yeah, sounds good (no subtlety, though, lol). I like the LOVE lyrics more, however. That's really great. I love seeing God work in the cultural sphere like that - I wonder how many of his fans will come to Christ because of him?

There's a printed interview about him and his conversion here: http://www.christianitytoday.com/music/ ... -0807.html

This reminds me of Alice Cooper, of course. I wondered how he has influenced people, so I started trying to find that out. Apparently not too much, lol, and some argue that he's not a Christian, even though he professes to be. Apparently, Welch is being more evangelical (lol), but, what Alice has to say in the article below is pretty interesting.

Alice Cooper is a Christian
http://thedailycultist.wordpress.com/20 ... christian/

Alice Cooper says he loves God but doesn't want to become a 'celebrity' believer.

The father of shock rock whose music and stage antics have outraged parents for more than 30 years told how the fear of hell turned him to God.

Alice Cooper, who sang about necrophilia and chopped up baby dolls during his concerts, said that although he continues to record and tour with a theatrical horror-style show, “My life is dedicated to follow Christ.”

Although he became a Christian in the 1980s, apart from brief comments in some interviews the 54-year-old singer has always been guarded about his faith ? until now. But in a frank interview with a Christian music magazine, he spoke at length publicly for the first time about his love for God and reluctance to become a “Christian celebrity.”

A chart-topper with the teen anthem “School's Out.” Cooper, who legally changed his name from Vince Furnier, has been credited with paving the way for the likes of today's outrageous performers such as Marilyn Manson.

But he maintains that his act was never political or religious and always had “a sense of humor.” He told HM: The Hard Music Magazine that he was always insulted whenever he was accused of being satanic. Raised in a Christian home, he still believed in God, although he was not committed.

That changed when alcoholism threatened his marriage. He and his wife, Sheryl, attended a church with a “hellfire pastor.” Cooper said he became a Christian “initially more out of the fear of God, rather than the love of God … I did not want to go to hell.” Interviewed for HM's March/April issue, Cooper views his faith as “an ongoing thing.”

“Being a Christian is something you just progress in. You learn. You go to your Bible studies. You pray,” he said.

He has avoided “celebrity Christianity,” because “it's really easy to focus on Alice Cooper and not on Christ. I'm a rock singer. I'm nothing more than that. I'm not a philosopher. I consider myself low on
the totem pole of knowledgeable Christians. So, don't look for answers from me.”

Yet he has been able to speak to others in the music scene about his faith.

“I've had a couple of people that were friends of mine that I've talked to that have vocally said they have [accepted Christ]. I have talked to some big stars about this, some really horrific characters … and you'd be surprised. The ones that you would think are the furthest gone are the ones that are more apt to listen.”

Songs on Cooper's more recent recordings have hinted at his change of heart. He sees his stage persona now as “the prophet of doom,” telling people: “'Be careful! Satan is not a myth. Don't sit around pretending like Satan is just a joke.' I think my job is to warn about Satan.”

He no longer performs some of his older repertoire. Any song promoting promiscuous sex and drinking “gets the axe,” he said. “I'm very careful about what the lyrics are. I tried to write songs that
were equally as good, only with a better message.”

Cooper told HM he answers his critics: “'I was one thing at one time, and I'm something new. I'm a new creature now. Don't judge Alice by what he used to be. Praise God for what I am now.'”

From worldnetdaily.com
"I believe in Christianity as I believe the sun has risen, not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else." C.S. Lewis
BavarianWheels

Post by BavarianWheels »

link above quoting AC wrote:“celebrity Christianity,” because “it's really easy to focus on Alice Cooper and not on Christ. I'm a rock singer. I'm nothing more than that. I'm not a philosopher. I consider myself low on the totem pole of knowledgeable Christians. So, don't look for answers from me.”
I find this statement of great insight. It seems so subtle as to say his walk with Christ is a daily struggle, but a worthwhile struggle. As it is with all of us! Comes across as a genuine statement.
Swamper
Valued Member

Post by Swamper »

I like a few Korn songs, but I haven't heard any of Head's solo music. I've read some of his book though, and it's pretty good in my opinion. I'm glad that he's found Jesus and is using his talents to glorify him. It seems there are actually more Christian rock stars than you'd think...Dave Mustaine of the classic metal band Megadeth is a Christian as well, and while he still makes music, he no longer plays some of his older anti-religious songs.
God's in his Heaven, all's right with the world.
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member
Sex: It's Complicated
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by Furstentum Liechtenstein »

I saw Alice Cooper's interview while he was recently in Montreal. I was very surprised to find out that he is a Chirstian - a born again Christian, no less - and the son of a pastor. During the interview, he recited Bible verses from memory...many of them.

I have never been a fan of his, but Alice Cooper did impress me and gave me a respect for the man, if not for his music.

FL
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +
ratgibson
Familiar Member

Post by ratgibson »

Alice Cooper a born again? thats awesome, i always admired him but I have a newfound respect for the man. Theres a movement being started called I Am Second that seems to be a compilation of "celebrity christians" organizing to spread the word of God. in this respect its cool that people so many kids idolize or look up to are saying like Alice did that they are just performers but pretty low on the totem pole and that God is first.
Eyes speak louder than words.
FFC
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by FFC »

Humility. What a concept. y:-?
"Faith sees the invisible, believes the unbelievable, and receives the impossible." - Corrie Ten Boom

Act 9:6
And he trembling and astonished said, Lord, what wilt thou have me to do?
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Post by Kurieuo »

ratgibson wrote:Just curious as to anyones opinion of him now that he has found Christ and is making music for the Lord. Ive been a fan of Korn for about 10 years now although not so much anymore because of my new faith in Jesus. However I must say Brians new record "Save Me From Myself" is better than anything Korn did as a whole since "Issues" around 1999-2000

I was really worried Jesus would have made him soft (I was an athiest when he converted and shocked at his choice) but to tell the truth I think it did nothing but help. The record is quite amazing and brutally honest in ways Jon Davis should have been expressing. Brians trademark guitar sound and style are all over it which was always a major reason I dug KoRn. I am quite pleased. His book is pretty rad too.

Thoughts on him? This might be a board for the older crowd, Im still new here and havent met or talked to really any of you short of my post in Questions for Christians.
Old news. Old news I missed though.

Music has never really been the same for me since I had a horrible experience listening to my music collection on a very long train trip many years ago - NIN, Korn, Tool, FNM. I think my music tastes have largely changed now, since many Christian artists just couldn't produce heavy metal/grunge of the same caliber. Many Korn fans would have hated Brian leaving, but it is worse the other way around. I had to leave behind all my music collection because it just made me feel sick when listening to it for sustained periods. I would ignore the lyrics I didn't like, but then it just came to a crunch where I could not any longer listen to such bands.

Ahh... anyway, going to listen to some Head... see if I still have some taste for this type of music. ;)