What does god prove?

Discussions on a ranges of philosophical issues including the nature of truth and reality, personal identity, mind-body theories, epistemology, justification of beliefs, argumentation and logic, philosophy of religion, free will and determinism, etc.
Newbie Member
Christian: Yes

What does god prove?

Post by 3.14 »

What does god existence prove? The whole purpose of him and his existence proves nothing other then itself. Who is this audience that he wants to prove his unlimited powers, controlling of good vs. evil, defining what good and evil is, giving humans free will, duality, etc. all these things prove nothing and to what audience? If we merely exist in his creation and if we were subtracted from the equation could all things truly exist if no one was there to witness and define them or put them into action? I don't understand what god is proving and why he needs to prove anything, yet alone to whom. Some may say that this is because he wills it, but the intention of this will proves nothing other then itself and yet again why does he will other then to prove something. To whom is he proving this to?
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Re: What does god prove?

Post by B. W. »

3.14 wrote:What does god existence prove? The whole purpose of him and his existence proves nothing other then itself. Who is this audience that he wants to prove his unlimited powers, controlling of good vs. evil, defining what good and evil is, giving humans free will, duality, etc. all these things prove nothing and to what audience? If we merely exist in his creation and if we were subtracted from the equation could all things truly exist if no one was there to witness and define them or put them into action? I don't understand what god is proving and why he needs to prove anything, yet alone to whom. Some may say that this is because he wills it, but the intention of this will proves nothing other then itself and yet again why does he will other then to prove something. To whom is he proving this to?

Exodus 3:14, "God said to Moses, "I AM WHO I AM..."

God existence gives life...
-
-
-
Science is man's invention - creation is God's
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Not my Circus....not my monkeys
Newbie Member

Post by 3.14 »

"I am who am" except who is asking him? if no one asked "who am" or who are you? how could he exist?
Newbie Member

Post by 3.14 »

if god gives life, did he give himself life and for what reason? his reason and will prove a statement or proof that no one ask or asked to be proven. his existence is beyond life and death and time but these concepts prove nothing if he created them. why does god prove if he knows the answer or outcome?
Last edited by 3.14 on Tue Sep 09, 2008 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BavarianWheels
Prestigious Senior Member
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by BavarianWheels »

3.14 wrote:if god gives life, did he give himself life and for what reason? his reason and will prove a statement or proof that no one ask or asked to be proven. he existance is beyond life and death and time but these concepts prove nothing if he created them. why does god prove if he knows the answer or outcome?
My take on this question, that has passed through my mind also, is this; Without God there is nothing. God created everything apart from Himself. We can assume this as Christians, and since God created man with the ability to think, reason, and choose, that it is for this reason He goes to great measure to "prove" Himself. Had He created puppets and/or robots that don't think/reason, I would side with you and ask the same question. God need not prove Himself to anyone except those that CHOOSE to be with Him.
Newbie Member

Post by 3.14 »

perhaps, but the statement of only proving himself to those who choose to believe only implies the same concept that he already knows the answer to. the given will of choice to humans was something that he created for no reason other then itself. the creation of choice was his doing but why does he need to prove it, if he already knows of it and created it. without humans, could he still prove these concepts? are we just a medium of proving his choice or will and yet no one ask him to prove anything.
Newbie Member

Post by 3.14 »

the concept of nothing only exists because it was created as the opposition of “god” or life. this duality of nothing vs. everything, good vs. evil, dark vs. light, are all concepts that were created by someone. god was the one who created these things but he wills them for what reason other then to prove an idea that he created and knows the answer to. What does god prove to himself that he already knows and why would he ask?
BavarianWheels

Post by BavarianWheels »

3.14 wrote:the concept of nothing only exists because it was created as the opposition of “god” or life. this duality of nothing vs. everything, good vs. evil, dark vs. light, are all concepts that were created by someone. god was the one who created these things but he wills them for what reason other then to prove an idea that he created and knows the answer to. What does god prove to himself that he already knows and why would he ask?
I guess you're not understanding. He's created beings that think for themselves. Intelligent. If they are to regard Him as "God Almighty" then He must prove Himself as such. While life can expire in it's entirety without God, He has chosen to give the gift of everlasting life to those that put their faith in Him/His Son. Must He? No. Not to a created being that can easily be "programmed" to believe as He wills. But He doesn't program us to do His will. It's not He that needs the answer.
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Post by B. W. »

3.14 wrote:perhaps, but the statement of only proving himself to those who choose to believe only implies the same concept that he already knows the answer to. the given will of choice to humans was something that he created for no reason other then itself. the creation of choice was his doing but why does he need to prove it, if he already knows of it and created it. without humans, could he still prove these concepts? are we just a medium of proving his choice or will and yet no one ask him to prove anything...

...the concept of nothing only exists because it was created as the opposition of “god” or life. this duality of nothing vs. everything, good vs. evil, dark vs. light, are all concepts that were created by someone. god was the one who created these things but he wills them for what reason other then to prove an idea that he created and knows the answer to. What does god prove to himself that he already knows and why would he ask?
You have to start someplace...

If here and now exist then it is good evidence that God chose the medium to reveal himself. You and I are here and now - why can't you accept this?
-
-
-
Science is man's invention - creation is God's
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Not my Circus....not my monkeys
Newbie Member

Post by 3.14 »

"I guess you're not understanding. He's created beings that think for themselves. Intelligent. If they are to regard Him as "God Almighty" then He must prove Himself as such. While life can expire in it's entirety without God, He has chosen to give the gift of everlasting life to those that put their faith in Him/His Son. Must He? No. Not to a created being that can easily be "programmed" to believe as He wills. But He doesn't program us to do His will. It's not He that needs the answer."

exactly, he does not need the answer, and if this is so then why do we exist?

no, life cannot end in entirely without god because he created life and death; he wills when it ends and when it begins. life came into existence through his doing and will end through his doing as well.

i understand your point of humans not being robots and given the ability to choose but this free will and choice was created by god and he already knows the answer to it and why it exists and why he willed it. Perhaps we are unknowingly playing in his answer that has been given and stated. there cannot be free will if one created the concept of free will. why does god prove these things that he already knows the answer to and if he did already know the answer then why do we exist? he is the alpha and omega, and theoretically everything is already planned and answers given. if you believe that god created time as well, everything has already happened and god already knows the answer.

my point is if he knows the answers to all that he wills, what does he prove and why does he need to prove these things?
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member
Sex: It's Complicated
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by Furstentum Liechtenstein »

3.14 wrote:then why do we exist?
The only legitimate purpose of your existence is to glorify God.

Any other purpose is sinful.

I am a sinner.

Goodnight.

FL
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +
BavarianWheels

Post by BavarianWheels »

3.14 wrote:my point is if he knows the answers to all that he wills, what does he prove and why does he need to prove these things?
Exactly, God knows everyone's eventual answer. This, however, does not remove our God-given intelligence or free will. He still allows us to choose. We need the choice (proof)...without it we are dead.
Metacrock
Familiar Member
Christian: No

Post by Metacrock »

3.14 wrote:"I am who am" except who is asking him? if no one asked "who am" or who are you? how could he exist?

but we do exist and we are asking. you are cease existing to make God go away? :sleep:
FFC
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by FFC »

Metacrock wrote:
3.14 wrote:"I am who am" except who is asking him? if no one asked "who am" or who are you? how could he exist?

but we do exist and we are asking. you are cease existing to make God go away? :sleep:
If a tree falls in the forrest and noone is there to hear it does it make a sound? y:O2

I don't understand this whole thread. I never thought God had to prove anything to anyone to confirm his existence. Where does that thought process come from? y:-?
"Faith sees the invisible, believes the unbelievable, and receives the impossible." - Corrie Ten Boom

Act 9:6
And he trembling and astonished said, Lord, what wilt thou have me to do?
cslewislover
Ultimate Member
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by cslewislover »

3.14 wrote:there cannot be free will if one created the concept of free will.

my point is if he knows the answers to all that he wills, what does he prove and why does he need to prove these things?
I don't see why your first statement quoted here is true. To me that doesn't make sense. Just because something is created, doesn't mean it can't work (in fact, it's normally the opposite).

Why are you stuck on God needing to prove something? Like FFC said, Why is this an issue? Why are you trying to second guess God? God created us to love, both ourselves and Him. If the universe was only set up to establish proofs, what a cold place it would be.
"I believe in Christianity as I believe the sun has risen, not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else." C.S. Lewis