Dinosaurs

Discussion about scientific issues as they relate to God and Christianity including archaeology, origins of life, the universe, intelligent design, evolution, etc.
jeannie
Newbie Member

Dinosaurs

Post by jeannie »

Hello :)

I would like to know about dinosaurs. Besides the verse that says great creatures roam the earth,are there any other verses that talk about them? I only know about the crocodile thingy described in Job called the Leviathon or something to that extent. If any one knows more verses about dinosaurs (e.g when did they die, was it during the flood? what about the loch ness monster?) and what the Bible says about them, I would gladly like to know and find out more. Thanks :)
zoegirl
Old School
Christian: Yes
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: Dinosaurs

Post by zoegirl »

jeannie wrote:Hello :)

I would like to know about dinosaurs. Besides the verse that says great creatures roam the earth,are there any other verses that talk about them? I only know about the crocodile thingy described in Job called the Leviathon or something to that extent. If any one knows more verses about dinosaurs (e.g when did they die, was it during the flood? what about the loch ness monster?) and what the Bible says about them, I would gladly like to know and find out more. Thanks :)
THis certainly depends upon whether you support the idea that the universe is old or young. If you are a young earth creationist, then you would probably say that the flood was the cause (I know of no other YEC theory to dinosaur extinction, but i long ago drifted from YEC, so maybe there is a new idea)

If you are an Old earth creationist, then you would most likely support the idea that they died according to the timescale of most scientists.

I have heard that those creatures mentioned in the bible could be a whale, hippopotamus, crocodile....not sure.

Loch ness monster...doubt it's a dinosaur, but....

Anyway, not much help but at least it will give you some ideas to start wth.

Zoegirl
jeannie
Newbie Member

Post by jeannie »

Thanks Zoegirl for your imput.. Yes i believe that the earth is not millions of years old. still trying to find verses on dinosaurs. (:
Enigma7457
Valued Member
Christian: No

Post by Enigma7457 »

About the Leviathan and the Behemoth. I do not believe they were dinosaurs or hippos or any other animals. There is a chapter in the Book of Enoch (NOT IN THE BIBLE, SO READ WITH CAUTIOUN) that talks about them. Now, whether or not the book of enoch should be trusted is debatable, but whoever wrote Job (which, to my understanding, is the only place that either of these two monsters shows up) would have had access to the book of Enoch and known about the two 'monsters' (which is what they are called in that book).

Now, i don't know what it means, but the Behemoth and the Leviathan are not described as dinosaurs or any other animal. Not sure how much help this is on the dinosaur problem at hand, but there's my two cents.

PS-If anyone is curious, i can PM the text from Enoch (or the whole book).
jeannie
Newbie Member

Post by jeannie »

Dear Enigma,
I believe that the whole Bible we have now is the inspired Word of God, so if the animals described in job does not sound like any known existing animal, i would still conclude that they were real. after some reading, i realized that job is not the only book which contains the animal called leviathan. Psalm 104:26 also mentions it. but thanks for your two cents :)
BGoodForGoodSake
Ultimate Member

Post by BGoodForGoodSake »

an ape wrote:Enigma, you don't believe there were dinosaurs or hippos?

Just curious,

An Ape
I believe he said he does not believe they were dinosaurs or hippos.
Enigma7457 wrote:About the Leviathan and the Behemoth. I do not believe they were dinosaurs or hippos or any other animals
:D :D
It is not length of life, but depth of life. -- Ralph Waldo Emerson
Enigma7457
Valued Member

Post by Enigma7457 »

Thanks BGood, you hit the mark
justme
Newbie Member

Post by justme »

jeannie wrote:Hello :)

Well, some think this is talking of a mammoth, I think.

Job 40:15 Behold now behemoth, which I made with thee; he eateth grass as an ox. 16 Lo now, his strength is in his loins, and his force is in the navel of his belly. 17 He moveth his tail like a cedar: the sinews of his stones are wrapped together. 18 His bones are as strong pieces of brass; his bones are like bars of iron. 19 He is the chief of the ways of God: he that made him can make his sword to approach unto him. 20 Surely the mountains bring him forth food, where all the beasts of the field play. 21 He lieth under the shady trees, in the covert of the reed, and fens. 22 The shady trees cover him with their shadow; the willows of the brook compass him about. 23 Behold, he drinketh up a river, and hasteth not: he trusteth that he can draw up Jordan into his mouth. 24 He taketh it with his eyes: his nose pierceth through snares.

Then there is this, about a dragon.

Isa 27:1 - In that day the LORD with his sore and great and strong sword shall punish leviathan the piercing serpent, even leviathan that crooked serpent; and he shall slay the dragon that is in the sea.

--- From the hebrew-- 'aynnt'

dragon, serpent, sea monster

1. dragon or dinosaur
2. sea or river monster
3. serpent, venomous snake

Sounds like some sort of sea dinosaur to me.

I think it is a good question, as to whether they went extinct at the flood or not. My opinion is that most were already extinct before the flood.
jenna
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Gap Theory

Post by jenna »

ok, as far as leviathan goes, my bible's side notes say that "the identity of leviathan, basically a transliteration of the Hebrew word for "sea monster" or "sea serpent", is disputed. The traditional view is that it is the crocodile. As in the case of the behemoth, the description of leviathan begins as a grand poetic description of a well-known formidable beast. But by the time the description is complete, it has become a fire-breathing dragon, a powerful symbol of chaos and destruction. Ultimately, its image is a portrait of chaos at the beginning of creation and of Satan at the end of the ages." This is all man's ideas, of course. My personal idea is that it may be Satan, since he is referred to as "that great dragon". Also, just on a side note the bible also mentions unicorns! (don't know exact verse, but it's in there somewhere) :D
some things are better left unsaid, which i generally realize after i have said them
frankbaginski
Valued Member

Post by frankbaginski »

In the book of Job two large animals are described, one on land and one in the sea. The best fit description for the land based animal is the Brontosaurus or something real close. In the model of earths history that I follow the ice age would have been occuring during Job's time. This means that the dinosuars would have been on the move. It looks like they were hunted for food during Job's day. According to the model that I believe in the dinosuars went extinct during the ice age around 2900 BC. The fossil evidence comes in two waves (pun intended), the first is the global flood which occured around 3550 BC. The second catastrophe which was the dividing of the single continent caused giant tsunamis which buried the other layers of bones.

Fossils are extremely hard to make. I will cover this in much more detail on the Young Earth Old universe thread.
Himantolophus
Established Member
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by Himantolophus »

I'm sure by now everyone knows my stance on this :lol:

I'm just going to say that it's all a matter of interpretation on what you think the two Job "monsters" are. The description given of Leviathan and Behemoth are very vague and can be made to fit alot of animals.
Typhoon
Acquainted Member
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Post by Typhoon »

Quick question... do you guys think that God made dinosaurs then? That people lived with dinosaurs? The garden of Eden was at the time of dinosaurs? Just asking?
zoegirl
Old School
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by zoegirl »

Typhoon wrote:Quick question... do you guys think that God made dinosaurs then? That people lived with dinosaurs? The garden of Eden was at the time of dinosaurs? Just asking?
Personally, I believe that God created dinosaurs along with the entire universe. I do not believe that people and dinosaurs lived at the same time, nor was the garden at the same time as the dinosaurs. Most here, if they support OEC, also support this view. Check out the main web page http://www.godandscience.org
Typhoon
Acquainted Member
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Post by Typhoon »

Personally, I believe that God created dinosaurs along with the entire universe. I do not believe that people and dinosaurs lived at the same time, nor was the garden at the same time as the dinosaurs. Most here, if they support OEC, also support this view. Check out the main web page http://www.godandscience.org
Thanks, new to all this what is OEC? I apologise for my ignorance!
jenna
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Gap Theory

Post by jenna »

Old Earth Creationists. Yec is young earth creationists. :ewink:
some things are better left unsaid, which i generally realize after i have said them