being liberal?

Are you a sincere seeker who has questions about Christianity, or a Christian with doubts about your faith? Post them here to receive a thoughtful response.
acrossandasong
Newbie Member
Christian: No

being liberal?

Post by acrossandasong »

my question is: How liberal should we allow ourselves to be...or better yet how much should we compromise with the unbelievers that seem to surround us. I am known to "preach" at people and so that makes me...intolerant i guess is the word. Give me some of your thoughts on the subject/ should we be passive aggressive or out spoken in disapproval of transgression?
B. W.
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes

Re: being liberal?

Post by B. W. »

acrossandasong wrote:my question is: How liberal should we allow ourselves to be...or better yet how much should we compromise with the unbelievers that seem to surround us. I am known to "preach" at people and so that makes me...intolerant i guess is the word. Give me some of your thoughts on the subject/ should we be passive aggressive or out spoken in disapproval of transgression?
Depends on what you mean by compromise with unbelievers: noninterventionist broadminded, moderate, laissez-faire?

The bible says that we are in the world but not be a part of it. You cannot isolate yourself from non-Christians and neither can a Christian hang out with them.

1Corinthinains 15:33:

(ALT) -Stop being led astray [fig., being deceived]: "Evil associations corrupt good habits [or, morals]" [i.e. a quote from the Grecian philosopher Menander].

(ASV) Be not deceived: Evil companionships corrupt good morals.

(CEV) Don't fool yourselves. Bad friends will destroy you.

(GNB) Do not be fooled. "Bad companions ruin good character."

We are to as Jesus says in Mat 5:13-16, “You are like salt for everyone on earth. But if salt no longer tastes like salt, how can it make food salty? All it is good for is to be thrown out and walked on.14You are like light for the whole world. A city built on top of a hill cannot be hidden, 15 and no one would light a lamp and put it under a clay pot. A lamp is placed on a lampstand, where it can give light to everyone in the house.16 Make your light shine, so that others will see the good that you do and will praise your Father in heaven.” CEV

I say, lead by example…

1 Peter2:12, “Continue to live such upright lives among the gentiles that, when they slander you as evildoers, they may see your good works and glorify God when he visits them in judgment. [ISV]”

There is a time and season for every purpose under heaven as Ecclesiastes 3 reveals. We need to be busy increasing in knowing the Lord and what he is really like and walking as best we can in that image.

Colossians 1:10 in the ALT version, “[in order for] you* to walk about [fig., conduct yourselves] in a manner worthy of the Lord to please [Him] in all [respects], bearing fruit [fig., being effective] in every good work and increasing in the full [or, true] knowledge of God…”

Colossians 1:10 in the CEV read, “Then you will live a life that honors the Lord, and you will always please him by doing good deeds. You will come to know God even better.”

John 6:29, “Jesus answered and said unto them, This is the work of God, that ye believe on him whom he hath sent.” KJV

John 14:12, “Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me, the works that I do shall he do also; and greater works than these shall he do; because I go unto my Father.' KJV

Or as Paul prayed...

Ephesians 3:9-21, in the KJV, “And to make all men see what is the fellowship of the mystery, which from the beginning of the world hath been hid in God, who created all things by Jesus Christ::10 To the intent that now unto the principalities and powers in heavenly places might be known by the church the manifold wisdom of God, 11 According to the eternal purpose which he purposed in Christ Jesus our Lord: 12 In whom we have boldness and access with confidence by the faith of him. 13 Wherefore I desire that ye faint not at my tribulations for you, which is your glory. 14 For this cause I bow my knees unto the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, 15 Of whom the whole family in heaven and earth is named, 16 That he would grant you, according to the riches of his glory, to be strengthened with might by his Spirit in the inner man; 17 That Christ may dwell in your hearts by faith; that ye, being rooted and grounded in love, 18 May be able to comprehend with all saints what is the breadth, and length, and depth, and height;19 And to know the love of Christ, which passeth knowledge, that ye might be filled with all the fullness of God. 20 Now unto him that is able to do exceeding abundantly above all that we ask or think, according to the power that worketh in us, 21 Unto him be glory in the church by Christ Jesus throughout all ages, world without end. Amen.”

That about sums it up as I see it… Hope this helps
-
-
-
acrossandasong
Newbie Member

Post by acrossandasong »

thanks your explanation helped. :wink:
Holland
Newbie Member

Hi acrossandasong

Post by Holland »

I completely understand your question. I visit several boards. Mostly Christian, but there are a couple that are not. One, that is not, has the title 'Religion and Ethics'......every 'religion' is most tolerated there, except Christianity.

I understand the anger from those who reject Jesus Christ and the Word of God, but what has peeked my interest is the number of people who say "I am a Christian, but reject so much of the Bible.

Even more surprising is watching people, I have posted with over the years on Christian forums, get upset with me when they visit this R&E board. They tell me I shouldn't use the Bible so much. And when I ask them why they compliment people who practice false religions, they get very angry and tell me I need to learn to love my neighbors and my enemies.

I've tried to tell them I do love them. If I did not, I would not care if they die and go to hell and suffer separation from God for eternity. This only seems to make them more angry.

Oh well, the parable of the sower and Matthew 24 comes more and more into focus for me lately.

Holland