Christian and Buddhism

Are you a sincere seeker who has questions about Christianity, or a Christian with doubts about your faith? Post them here to receive a thoughtful response.
zstep14
Familiar Member

Christian and Buddhism

Post by zstep14 »

Can a Christian, like myself, practice certain aspects of Buddhism, which in opinion, would not go against anything the Bible teaches?

Thank you. God bless.
Canuckster1127
Old School
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Re: Christian and Buddhism

Post by Canuckster1127 »

zstep14 wrote:Can a Christian, like myself, practice certain aspects of Buddhism, which in opinion, would not go against anything the Bible teaches?

Thank you. God bless.
Like what specifically?
Dogmatism is the comfortable intellectual framework of self-righteousness. Self-righteousness is more decadent than the worst sexual sin. ~ Dan Allender
zstep14
Familiar Member

Post by zstep14 »

The mindfulness meditations, and other peaceful aspects of it.
Canuckster1127
Old School

Post by Canuckster1127 »

zstep14 wrote:The mindfulness meditations, and other peaceful aspects of it.
I don't know that I can answer that for you.

My initial reaction is to ask if there are not elements within Christianity that don't address those elements? There are some strong meditations throughout Christian History by the mystics and meditation is certainly not unique to Buddhism.

I'm not a big fan of legalism so I won't suggest what is right in this situation except to mention that not everything that is permissable is necessarily expedient. Pray and ask God to show you what is right and see how He leads if you are careful and open to Him.
Dogmatism is the comfortable intellectual framework of self-righteousness. Self-righteousness is more decadent than the worst sexual sin. ~ Dan Allender
FFC
Prestigious Senior Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by FFC »

Meditating on God's word is beneficial and brings peace. Why bring buddhism into it at all? Christ is certainly our all in all.

Colossians 3
1 If ye then be risen with Christ, seek those things which are above, where Christ sitteth on the right hand of God.
2 Set your affection on things above, not on things on the earth.

From what I have read and heard Eastern meditation involves emptying your mind of all thoughts which in turn brings a kind of peace and serenity and takes you to a higher spiritual plane.

Jesus promises us peace that is directly from Him:

14:27 Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid.
August
Old School
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by August »

zstep14 wrote:Can a Christian, like myself, practice certain aspects of Buddhism, which in opinion, would not go against anything the Bible teaches?

Thank you. God bless.
Does it glorify God?
Acts 17:24-25 (NIV)
"The God who made the world and everything in it is the Lord of heaven and earth and does not live in temples built by hands. [25] And he is not served by human hands, as if he needed anything, because he himself gives all men life and breath and everything else."

//www.omnipotentgrace.org
//christianskepticism.blogspot.com
zstep14
Familiar Member

Post by zstep14 »

"Does it glorify God?"

Yes, I think so. I get in touch with the natural world, which is obviously God's wonderful creation. It absolutely glorifies God.
Canuckster1127
Old School

Post by Canuckster1127 »

zstep14 wrote:"Does it glorify God?"

Yes, I think so. I get in touch with the natural world, which is obviously God's wonderful creation. It absolutely glorifies God.
Well then, there's your answer.

I'd challenge you however to consider continuing to evaluate this and determining what is most beneficial for you.

There are no spiritual vacuums. When you seek to empty yourself of everything to achieve peace with the world around you there is a subtle underlying tenent of pantheism that treats the creation itself as God which is contrary to the Word of God and to be carefully avoided.

It is a fine line. There are great Christian Mystics who focus the attention through the creation back to God Himself that I think are good.

I'd be wary of outside philosophy systems that call for a clearing of conscious awareness that you do not inadvertantly open yourself to influences that may be subtle but are negative nonetheless.
August
Old School

Post by August »

zstep14 wrote:"Does it glorify God?"

There is a Biblical mention of meditation. It is form the Hebrew word "hagah", meaning "to murmur (in pleasure or anger); by implication to ponder :- imagine, meditate, mourn, mutter, roar, נsore, speak, study, talk, utter."

It is always used in the context that we should be quiet, and ponder the things of God, that would be the type of meditation that glorifies God. There is no mention of the type of meditation that you seem to want to undertake.

Psalm 119:148 (NIV)
My eyes stay open through the watches of the night,
that I may meditate on your promises.

Psalm 143:5 (NIV)
I remember the days of long ago;
I meditate on all your works
and consider what your hands have done.
"The God who made the world and everything in it is the Lord of heaven and earth and does not live in temples built by hands. [25] And he is not served by human hands, as if he needed anything, because he himself gives all men life and breath and everything else."

zstep14
Familiar Member

Post by zstep14 »

There's the mindfulness/awareness meditations, and there are meditations to counterract anger if thats what you mean.
August
Old School

Post by August »

zstep14 wrote:There's the mindfulness/awareness meditations, and there are meditations to counterract anger if thats what you mean.
I am curious as to why you would choose to do that instead of spending the time in prayer, for example?

zstep14
Familiar Member

Post by zstep14 »

I do both. I'm not saying that prayer doesn't counterract those things either. Buddhism is more of a philosophy than it is a religion. I don't think of it as mixing two faiths.
bluesman
Established Member
Christian: No

Yoga

Post by bluesman »

I think practices such as Yoga for example are quite the benefit for both body and mind. The fact that you keep the balance with prayer etc, make this a good practice.

I would stay away from the statues of Budda though :lol:

Michael
Gman
Old School

Post by Gman »

Howdy,

Maybe this might help. Buddism teaches that God is within and not outside us (as a supernatural being). Christianity teaches that God can be inside us (with the Holy Spirit) and outside us as well. I know this because I took a college course on Buddism once. I couldn't take a Christianity course at this public school..

So with Buddism there is an inner focus within yourself. This can be good because it allows you to focus within yourself to view your bad motives but it can be also bad because it is devoid of God. Christianity its really an exception here because we have to answer to a higher authority outside of ourself.

As for as coming closer to God, there are times when we need to take an inner focus on ourself, i.e. see our motives. Please see Galations 6:3-5 or Lam: 3:40. Once we confess our bad motives or sins, we can then pray to God with hopefully the best (God fearing) motive.

I really don't see anything wrong with meditation since it allows this inner focus to be brought out which also allows you to see outside of yourself too. The big problem here is the denial of a diety. Buddism definatley makes this claim unfortunatley, a HUGE mistake. So handle with care...

I might add here even after trying to understand our hearts, we will never understand it fully. Please see Jer: 17:9-10.

Hope this helps,

G -
Last edited by Gman on Thu Jun 01, 2006 9:41 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Gman
Old School

Post by Gman »

I think I want to add here that sometimes we as Christians (I know I do) thinks that God puts his seal of approval on everything we do... How wrong can that be?? Many people think that since they are Christian that they can walk on water on that God blesses their every step. We never talk about wrong motives... In some ways other cultures have progressed beyond us in our thinking. And Chrisitianity gets a black eye because we can't confess that we are WRONG.. Behaving like children.

Such a pity..

G -