Tithing

Discussions on ecclesiology such as the nature, constitution and functions of the church.
led
Recognized Member
Christian: No

Tithing

Post by led »

I know how I feel about this, but I was just wondering what you all thought.

Is tithing for today or is it OT?
"To escape the error of salvation by works we have fallen into the opposite error of salvation without obedience.” //klinkenberg.tripod.com/lifeinkorea
Canuckster1127
Old School
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Re: Tithing

Post by Canuckster1127 »

led wrote:I know how I feel about this, but I was just wondering what you all thought.

I think it is a timeless principal and is for today. I think the question is framed in a leading manner. I don't see tithing as a legalistic obligation. I see it as an expression of my entire life and frankly, God owns all the material wealth that I may be blessed to be a steward over. Tithing in that context is just a discipline to reinvest God's resources back into God's work.

Easier said than done. But that is how I see it.
Dogmatism is the comfortable intellectual framework of self-righteousness. Self-righteousness is more decadent than the worst sexual sin. ~ Dan Allender
FFC
Prestigious Senior Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by FFC »

led wrote:
I know how I feel about this, but I was just wondering what you all thought.

I think it is a timeless principal and is for today. I think the question is framed in a leading manner. I don't see tithing as a legalistic obligation. I see it as an expression of my entire life and frankly, God owns all the material wealth that I may be blessed to be a steward over. Tithing in that context is just a discipline to reinvest God's resources back into God's work.

Easier said than done. But that is how I see it.
I agree. It is an old testiment law and required much more than the tithing of money. Giving should be out of a greatful heart for all that God has given us and does for us and should not stop at ten percent.
led
Recognized Member

Post by led »

Canuckster1127 wrote: I think it is a timeless principal and is for today. I think the question is framed in a leading manner. I don't see tithing as a legalistic obligation. I see it as an expression of my entire life and frankly, God owns all the material wealth that I may be blessed to be a steward over. Tithing in that context is just a discipline to reinvest God's resources back into God's work. Easier said than done. But that is how I see it.
Well said. It's something that we shouldn't feel we have to do, but get to do with a cheerful heart.
"To escape the error of salvation by works we have fallen into the opposite error of salvation without obedience.” //klinkenberg.tripod.com/lifeinkorea
fondstatue
Newbie Member

tithing

Post by fondstatue »

tithes is command of god to us to pay a tenth is binding even new testament tithes were payed
Canuckster1127
Old School
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Re: tithing

Post by Canuckster1127 »

fondstatue wrote:tithes is command of god to us to pay a tenth is binding even new testament tithes were payed
Do you have a New Testament passage where tithing is commanded?

What do you believe the Bible teaches the consequences of not tithing is, with particular attention to the New Testament?

What do you believe in terms of Christian's relationship to the Law following Christ's resurrection? What laws should be kept, on what basis?
Dogmatism is the comfortable intellectual framework of self-righteousness. Self-righteousness is more decadent than the worst sexual sin. ~ Dan Allender
bizzt

Post by bizzt »

I thought I would Resurrect this thread :)

Any new Thoughts?
puritan lad
Esteemed Senior Member
Creation Position: Undecided

Re: tithing

Post by puritan lad »

Canuckster1127 wrote:Do you have a New Testament passage where tithing is commanded?
While I object to the idea that a New Testament commandment is required, nonetheless see Matthew 23:23

Question: Do you have a New Testament passage that forbids beastiality? Why is it wrong?
Canuckster1127 wrote:What do you believe the Bible teaches the consequences of not tithing is, with particular attention to the New Testament?
If it was a sin in the Old Testament, it is a sin in the New Testament (Psalm 119:160)
Canuckster1127 wrote:What do you believe in terms of Christian's relationship to the Law following Christ's resurrection? What laws should be kept, on what basis?
Every stroke and letter of God's moral law is to be kept, til heaven and earth pass away (Matthew 5:17-18).

See Gospel and Law
Dispensationalism and the Law
"To suppose that whatever God requireth of us that we have power of ourselves to do, is to make the cross and grace of Jesus Christ of none effect." - JOHN OWEN

//covenant-theology.blogspot.com
//christianskepticism.blogspot.com/
puritan lad
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by puritan lad »

FFC wrote:I agree. It is an old testiment law and required much more than the tithing of money. Giving should be out of a greatful heart for all that God has given us and does for us and should not stop at ten percent.
FFC's quote here illustrates what can happen when God's clearly established laws are replaced by "giving out of a grateful heart". Notice FFC's conclusion that our giving "should not stop at ten percent". I'm all for giving more if needs in a ministry arise. While I understand and agree with the Spirit of this quote, we can see here how easily such a view can lead to legalism. I have said before that God's law is the solution to, rather than the cause of, legalism. I think David Chilton illustrates thsi problem the best:

"It is commonly held that we are no longer under any obligation to tithe in this "dispensation." There is not a shred of evidence to support such a position: the law of the tithe has never been revoked. And, it should be noted, while the modern abandonment of tithing has a superficial appearance of freedom, it has actually been replaced with a tyrannical legalism. Listen to any radio or television preacher—or perhaps your own pastor—appealing for funds. If he rejects the tithe, what is the basis for his plea? LOVE. He does not, of course, define love as the Bible defines it—keeping God's commandments (Romans 13:10; I John 5:3)—but rather according to the perceived "needs" of his own ministry. God's simple requirement is that we give ten percent of our income; once we have paid His tax, we know that no more is demanded. The modern preacher, on the other hand, defines your love for God in terms of how much you give. ("How much do you love God? Only ten percent? Only twenty? Only thirty? Shame on you! You should love God lots more than that! If you really, completely love Him, you'll sign over your next paycheck to me and drop it in the plate. And don't worry about taking care of your family. How selfish of you. God will take care of them. After all, He's taking care of me, isn't He?")

Just some food for thought. If we hold to God's commandments, we won't fall prey to guilt manipulating, money-changing hirelings, of which there are many.
"To suppose that whatever God requireth of us that we have power of ourselves to do, is to make the cross and grace of Jesus Christ of none effect." - JOHN OWEN

FFC
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by FFC »

puritan lad wrote:
FFC wrote:I agree. It is an old testiment law and required much more than the tithing of money. Giving should be out of a greatful heart for all that God has given us and does for us and should not stop at ten percent.
FFC's quote here illustrates what can happen when God's clearly established laws are replaced by "giving out of a grateful heart". Notice FFC's conclusion that our giving "should not stop at ten percent". I'm all for giving more if needs in a ministry arise. While I understand and agree with the Spirit of this quote, we can see here how easily such a view can lead to legalism. I have said before that God's law is the solution to, rather than the cause of, legalism. I think David Chilton illustrates thsi problem the best:

"It is commonly held that we are no longer under any obligation to tithe in this "dispensation." There is not a shred of evidence to support such a position: the law of the tithe has never been revoked. And, it should be noted, while the modern abandonment of tithing has a superficial appearance of freedom, it has actually been replaced with a tyrannical legalism. Listen to any radio or television preacher—or perhaps your own pastor—appealing for funds. If he rejects the tithe, what is the basis for his plea? LOVE. He does not, of course, define love as the Bible defines it—keeping God's commandments (Romans 13:10; I John 5:3)—but rather according to the perceived "needs" of his own ministry. God's simple requirement is that we give ten percent of our income; once we have paid His tax, we know that no more is demanded. The modern preacher, on the other hand, defines your love for God in terms of how much you give. ("How much do you love God? Only ten percent? Only twenty? Only thirty? Shame on you! You should love God lots more than that! If you really, completely love Him, you'll sign over your next paycheck to me and drop it in the plate. And don't worry about taking care of your family. How selfish of you. God will take care of them. After all, He's taking care of me, isn't He?")

Just some food for thought. If we hold to God's commandments, we won't fall prey to guilt manipulating, money-changing hirelings, of which there are many.
Oh come on, PL. What I quoted was anything but legalistic and you know it. Let's see what Paul says:

2Cr 9:7 Every man according as he purposeth in his heart, [so let him give]; not grudgingly, or of necessity: for God loveth a cheerful giver.
"Faith sees the invisible, believes the unbelievable, and receives the impossible." - Corrie Ten Boom

Act 9:6
And he trembling and astonished said, Lord, what wilt thou have me to do?
puritan lad
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by puritan lad »

I didn't say that it was legalistic. I said it leads to legalism. The rejection of God's law always does. Once people reject God's Law, they will always replace it with their own.

The Bible requirement is 10%. After that, we are required to take care of our families (including savings and retirement), and then give whatever we feel like charitably.

andyredeemed
Recognized Member

tithing

Post by andyredeemed »

Paul says that you should give as your conscience leads you, and also that "nothing is forbidden, but not everything is beneficial", I suppose the converse is true, that nothing is compulsory, but some things are more righteous than others. if you begrudge God your money, you might as well keep it: God doesn't actually need your money so much as He needs you to not be ruled by it to the point of serving it more than you serve Him.
bizzt

Post by bizzt »

Hello Andy and Welcome :)
spirit1st
Newbie Member

Post by spirit1st »

Gal 5:4 Christ is become of no effect unto you, whosoever of you are justified by the law; ye are fallen from grace.
spirit1st
Newbie Member

Post by spirit1st »

Gal 3:24 Wherefore the law was our schoolmaster to bring us unto Christ, that we might be justified by faith.
2Th 1:11 Wherefore also we pray always for you, that our God would count you worthy of this calling, and fulfill all the good pleasure of his goodness, and the work of faith with power:

Rom 8:2 For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus hath made me free from the law of sin and death.
Rom 4:14 For if they which are of the law be heirs, faith is made void, and the promise made of none effect:
Rom 4:15 Because the law worketh wrath: for where no law is, there is no transgression.
Rom 4:16 Therefore it is of faith, that it might be by grace; to the end the promise might be sure to all the seed; not to that only which is of the law, but to that also which is of the faith of Abraham; who is the father of us all,

Gal 2:21 I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain.
Tit 3:9 But avoid foolish questions, and genealogies, and contentions, and strivings about the law; for they are unprofitable and vain.

Rom 13:10 Love worketh no ill to his neighbor: therefore love is the fulfilling of the law.

Rom 6:14 For sin shall not have dominion over you: for ye are not under the law, but under grace.

2Co 9:7 Every man according as he purposeth in his heart, so let him give; not grudgingly, or of necessity: for God loveth a cheerful giver.

Gal 5:14 For all the law is fulfilled in one word, even in this; Thou shalt love thy neighbor as thyself.