Saying Hello

Whether you are new or just lurking, take a moment to introduce yourself or discuss something general.
Canuckster1127
Old School
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Saying Hello

Post by Canuckster1127 »

I am beginning to participate in this community.

I am a 43 year old male who lives in Northern Virginia and contracts for the US government. I'm originally Canadian. This is a career change for me as I've served as a pastor, district worker and church administrator in the past. I'm ordained with the Christian and Missionary Alliance.

I'm a pretty staunch Old Earth Creationist and have at times paid a price for that conviction. I believe in being charitable and understanding but my experience with YEC'rs has led me at times to have to struggle with that because of the damage I see being done to the name of Christ in our nation and the ignorance and rudeness that is displayed. There's plenty of that to go around in other positions too, but being human, that's my observation.

I am something of a freelance writer and am growing in the capacity. I currently have about 100 book reviews up on Amazon.com and I also have written poetry that has won some legitimate (not the poetry.com type) poetry contests.

I'm deeply interested in apologetics, creationism, philosophy and hermeneutics.

Looking forward to getting to know others and being a part here.

Bart

"Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time, and annoys the pig."
August
Old School
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by August »

Welcome Bart, we sure share some of the same interests.
Acts 17:24-25 (NIV)
"The God who made the world and everything in it is the Lord of heaven and earth and does not live in temples built by hands. [25] And he is not served by human hands, as if he needed anything, because he himself gives all men life and breath and everything else."

//www.omnipotentgrace.org
//christianskepticism.blogspot.com
IRQ Conflict
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by IRQ Conflict »

Welcome Bart 8)

I am a YEC, but my goal is not to offend, simply defend the Word of God. I am sorry you had such bad experiences.
Hellfire

1Ti 6:20 O Timothy, keep that which is committed to thy trust, avoiding profane and vain babblings, and oppositions of science falsely so called:
1Ti 6:21 Which some professing have erred concerning the faith. Grace be with thee. Amen.

"I have never let my schooling interfere with my education." - Mark Twain
Canuckster1127
Old School

Thanks

Post by Canuckster1127 »

I used to be YEC when I was younger. I think it's not a real consistent position but it's not a cardinal area of belief despite how important it is and the areas it touches on.

My issue was I was in the Southern Baptist Denomination and pretty much completely discounted in my gifts and ministry and had to leave because of the "shake-down" that occured in the 80's.

It's kinda hard to turn off. I know OEC's can be just as dogmatic in some regards but I don't see the zealousness that leads to careers and lives being ruined.
IRQ Conflict
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by IRQ Conflict »

Therein lies the problem brother, man looks to man, who then argues with man, who then gets angry with man, and man oh man!

See a pattern there? ;)
Hellfire

1Ti 6:20 O Timothy, keep that which is committed to thy trust, avoiding profane and vain babblings, and oppositions of science falsely so called:
1Ti 6:21 Which some professing have erred concerning the faith. Grace be with thee. Amen.

"I have never let my schooling interfere with my education." - Mark Twain
Byblos
Old School

Re: Saying Hello

Post by Byblos »

Welcome to the board.

I also am an OEC in principal but I find the issue somewhat insignificant, really. Looking forward to your posts.

God bless.
Canuckster1127
Old School

It really is insignificant ultimately

Post by Canuckster1127 »

Yes, it is pretty insignificant ultimately. It's not cardinal. My beef is that the YEC crowd has attempted to make it so. I think they've hit their high-water mark and they ultimately have overplayed their hand.

But then that's the human in me talking. ;)