Can unbelievers be truly happy?

Discussions amongst Christians about life issues, walking with Christ, and general Christian topics that don't fit under any other area.
Mystical
Valued Member

Can unbelievers be truly happy?

Post by Mystical »

Can unbelievers be truly happy? I told one of my atheist friends that I believed that no one could be truly happy without Christ in their lives. He was insulted. :? Perhaps I should have used the word joy (constant regardless of circumstances) instead of happiness (dependent on circumstances). Anyways, I don't believe I should apologize because I am certain that I am right. Maybe I should explain it to him in a different way? Anyone have any thoughts?
BGoodForGoodSake
Ultimate Member
Christian: No

Re: Can unbelievers be truly happy?

Post by BGoodForGoodSake »

Mystical wrote:Can unbelievers be truly happy? I told one of my atheist friends that I believed that no one could be truly happy without Christ in their lives. He was insulted. :? Perhaps I should have used the word joy (constant regardless of circumstances) instead of happiness (dependent on circumstances). Anyways, I don't believe I should apologize because I am certain that I am right. Maybe I should explain it to him in a different way? Anyone have any thoughts?
I understand your friends objection. When my car was stolen and I lost my job, I was still happy.

Perhaps you should state it this way.
A person who walks the path of Christ rejoices in their suffering.

"Rejoice that you participate in the sufferings of Christ, so that you may be overjoyed when his glory is revealed." (1Pet.4:13).
"Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds" (Jam.1:2).
"I beat my body and make it my slave so that after I have preached to others, I myself will not be disqualified for the prize" (1Cor.9:27).
"For it has been granted to you on behalf of Christ not only to believe on him, but also to suffer for him" (Phil.1:29).

Joy and suffering is something which is not the sole posession of Christians. However a true believer will also rejoice in their suffering.
It is not length of life, but depth of life. -- Ralph Waldo Emerson
Fortigurn
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Fortigurn »

BGFGS, you're beginning to sound like a Christian. :shock:
Mystical
Valued Member

Post by Mystical »

That's kind of cool, BGood. I never thought of it that way. Maybe you have some joy in you, too. If so, where do you think it comes from?
BGoodForGoodSake
Ultimate Member

Mystical wrote:That's kind of cool, BGood. I never thought of it that way. Maybe you have some joy in you, too. If so, where do you think it comes from?
Don't know.
=)
SUGAAAAA
Established Member

Post by SUGAAAAA »

Before i was a believer, I guess I was alright with my life, I sort of got happiness from material/earthly things... But sometimes I would worry about life after death, if there really was a meaning in life, and that sort of stuff... I imagined if after death, if there was anything, or nothing at all, just an eternal blackness, or state of unconcienceness, It seemed sort of scary.

It was only recently that I've turned to religion, but knowing there's a God and a heaven, brings a form of hapiness in my life, more hope. basically, its removed my worry of death being the end. So I guess im more happier now.

As for unbelievers, well, I would say they could be happy, it depends on the person. But I believe having faith in a God brings a sort of "complete" hapiness (though im sure many would disagree).
Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something.
Mystical
Valued Member

Post by Mystical »

SUGAAAAA:

Maybe they think they are happy, but aren't really. I've heard it so often, "Wow, I didn't know what I was missing!" "I thought I was so happy. I just can't believe this."
Lady Bee
Acquainted Member

Post by Lady Bee »

I don't know if "happy" is the right word. Happiness is a transient emotion. I think what a Christian has is security.. in knowing that they are loved, and that they are not alone, and that they look forward to an eternity more wonderful than any words can express. Security and hope. I think those things are more valuable than any fleeting moments of happiness.
Byblos
Old School
Christian: Yes

Post by Byblos »

BGoodForGoodSake wrote:
Mystical wrote:That's kind of cool, BGood. I never thought of it that way. Maybe you have some joy in you, too. If so, where do you think it comes from?
Don't know.
=)
Yes you do :wink:
stjimmythepunk
Acquainted Member

Post by stjimmythepunk »

You can be happy. Hapiness is different for different people. For example for christians it is christ. For me it is my family and freinds that keep me going.
Believer
Advanced Senior Member

Post by Believer »

stjimmythepunk wrote:You can be happy. Hapiness is different for different people. For example for christians it is christ. For me it is my family and freinds that keep me going.
So happiness for a Christian doesn't come from family and friends? Only Christ?
stjimmythepunk
Acquainted Member

Post by stjimmythepunk »

Believer wrote:
stjimmythepunk wrote:You can be happy. Hapiness is different for different people. For example for christians it is christ. For me it is my family and freinds that keep me going.
So happiness for a Christian doesn't come from family and friends? Only Christ?
Sorry that may have sounded like that what I'm trying to say is that for you guys that is one of your sources of hapiness but isn't one of mine. Sorry about that.
BGoodForGoodSake
Ultimate Member

Byblos wrote:
BGoodForGoodSake wrote:
Don't know.
=)
Yes you do :wink:
That's between you and me.
=)