Homosexuality is a sin!

Discussion for Christian perspectives on ethical issues such as abortion, euthanasia, sexuality, and so forth.
PetriFB
Familiar Member
Christian: No

Homosexuality is a sin!

Post by PetriFB »

Do you struggle with homosexuality? Have you been seeking ways to change from being a homosexual to a heterosexual, or have you resigned yourself to it? Perhaps you have thought of switching but it seems impossible for you?

In the following study we are going to concern ourselves with some of the most common questions, which appear in this area. At first we will look into the background of homosexuality and finally, what the Bible says about it. Perhaps you have your own opinions concerning this issue, in any case it would be beneficial for you to read the whole text:

http://koti.phnet.fi/elohim/Releasing_f ... osexuality
Goodbrother
Acquainted Member

Post by Goodbrother »

As an ordained minister of 45 years and a Doctor of Divinity I can quite frankly tell you there is no place in the Bible that says anything about homosexuality or it being a sin. A lot of so-called-Christians or wanna-be-Christains use homosexuals as scapegoats because they themselves have committed so many sins they use some other excuse or segment of society to cover up their own sins and make up things by saying it is in the Bible when it is not. A lot of Christians quote the verse "man shall not lie with mankind as womankind" does not have anything to do with sex. That verse means gossipers. It merely means man should not gossip about others like wmen do because women tend to spread rumors and lies more so than men and God does not like gossipers and especially men who gossip like women. When our Bible went from Greek to English the translation made it seem something other than it was. :!:
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Post by Kurieuo »

Makes you wonder why there are those pro-gay in Canada who want Leviticus 20:13 banned.

Kurieuo
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)
IRQ Conflict
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by IRQ Conflict »

:shock: Oh! now I get it, those Angels that went to lots house were gonna be assaulted by gossip!

I guess instead of blinding them, the Angels should have put zippers on thier lips...thanx for the heads up there doc! :roll:

Oh, by the by, ALL have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God. (yes I mean me).
Judah
Advanced Senior Member
Sex: Female

Post by Judah »

Goodbrother wrote:As an ordained minister of 45 years and a Doctor of Divinity I can quite frankly tell you there is no place in the Bible that says anything about homosexuality or it being a sin. A lot of so-called-Christians or wanna-be-Christains use homosexuals as scapegoats because they themselves have committed so many sins they use some other excuse or segment of society to cover up their own sins and make up things by saying it is in the Bible when it is not. A lot of Christians quote the verse "man shall not lie with mankind as womankind" does not have anything to do with sex. That verse means gossipers. It merely means man should not gossip about others like wmen do because women tend to spread rumors and lies more so than men and God does not like gossipers and especially men who gossip like women. When our Bible went from Greek to English the translation made it seem something other than it was. :!:
As someone who is claiming to have a Doctor of Divinity degree, would you mind putting up your argument, please, for your proposal that Leviticus 20:13 has nothing at all to do with sex but only to do with gossiping. I would like to try and understand how such a verse should appear so out of context in the middle of a passage of eleven verses all explicitly referring to sexual relationships (Leviticus 20:10-21).

Also, why do you think it is (as Kurieuo has commented) that pro-gay people would like that verse to be banned? If it is only to do with gossip, then surely it can be explained away without being an issue for them?

I am genuinely interested in any objective and rational information you can supply on this matter.

However, with all due respects, your post here and on another similar thread reads as though you have quite some emotional investment in the subject. You sound quite heated and I am curious as to why that is so.
Jac3510
Ultimate Member

Post by Jac3510 »

I'm just enjoying the fact that our minister-friend seems to think the OT was written in Greek . . . :lol:

edit: or maybe we should give him the benefit of the doubt and grant that he knows about the LXX. But then, we have the problem of thinking that our English versions come from it rather than the Masoretic texts . . . ;)

fakeedit: I should play around with this to get invis. text. Maybe later. Hopefully, Good was just referring to the Hebrew/Greek -> English process in general, but if he is going to make such a claim, he most definitely obligated to provide a thorough exegesis of the passage in question.

I didn't want to have to be all serious with that, but eh . . .
Proinsias wrote:I don't think you are hearing me. Preference for ice cream is a moral issue
And that, brothers and sisters, is the kind of foolishness you get people who insist on denying biblical theism. A good illustration of any as the length people will go to avoid acknowledging basic truths.
Goodbrother
Acquainted Member

To Judah

Post by Goodbrother »

I have never posted on any other sites. This is in fact the first time I have ever posted on any site. I have decided to take an issue on the misunderstanding of our Bible. It went from Hebrew to Greek to English and along the way words were changed. In fact there are so many versions of the Bible now that everyone of them use different words and meanings to suit the mind of different people. Lie means to tell an untruth. Sex on the other hand means to have intercourse with some one.
Where does it say having sex or intercourse with another? If your Bible is in English, where does it say it? And why are you so upset with the subject of homosexuality? Why aren't you as upset on the subject of fornication, adultery, slothness, gluttony, thievery and murder? Why are you and others like you overlooking all of the other serious sins and attacking a minority group who is not even mentioned in the Bible, except in your own minds? Are you so much in to your own wicked ways that you reach out to attack others to cover up your own sins? God will forgive you of your sins if you will only ask him to.
Kurieuo
Honored Member

Re: To Judah

Post by Kurieuo »

Goodbrother wrote:It went from Hebrew to Greek to English and along the way words were changed.
For someone who is supposedly well versed and studied, I am suprised by your misinformation about the language the Bible was written in. I can tell you now the Bible didn't go from Hebrew to Greek to English. Rather the Bible is essentially written in Hebrew (OT) and Greek (NT). I mean no disrespect, but I think you need to keep to topics you have more knowledge on to avoid looking more foolish.

Kurieuo
Goodbrother
Acquainted Member

Not the follish one

Post by Goodbrother »

I have been around this old earth for over eighty years and went to Bible college for six years. I traveled in the Middle East. Spoke to many authorities on the Bible around the world. The Bible was originally written in Hebrew, then it went to Greek and in the sixteenth century the first written Bible was printed in German, but the translation went from Greek to English, then German. I have been to Israel several times. Have visited the places Jesus taught and have spoken to Bible historian in the Middle East including Greece and all agree that the Bible went from Hebrew to Greek. The English translated it from Greek to English.
The Dead Sea Scrolls were written in Hebrew even. It is you my friend who has little knowledge of where the Bible came from or who understands it.
Jay_7
Established Member

Re: Not the follish one

Post by Jay_7 »

Goodbrother wrote:I have been around this old earth for over eighty years and went to Bible college for six years. I traveled in the Middle East. Spoke to many authorities on the Bible around the world. The Bible was originally written in Hebrew, then it went to Greek and in the sixteenth century the first written Bible was printed in German, but the translation went from Greek to English, then German. I have been to Israel several times. Have visited the places Jesus taught and have spoken to Bible historian in the Middle East including Greece and all agree that the Bible went from Hebrew to Greek. The English translated it from Greek to English.
The Dead Sea Scrolls were written in Hebrew even. It is you my friend who has little knowledge of where the Bible came from or who understands it.
Whatever. But your interpretation of lieing in bed with another of the same sex is wrong.
Jac3510
Ultimate Member

Post by Jac3510 »

Holy cow . . .

You provide me with an exegesis of the Hebrew text of Lev. 20:13. Give me the word studies, and provide contexts. Use the Hebrew texts, please. Peer-reviewed articles would be helpful as well.

God bless
Proinsias wrote:I don't think you are hearing me. Preference for ice cream is a moral issue
And that, brothers and sisters, is the kind of foolishness you get people who insist on denying biblical theism. A good illustration of any as the length people will go to avoid acknowledging basic truths.
Judah
Advanced Senior Member
Sex: Female

Re: To Judah

Post by Judah »

Goodbrother wrote:I have never posted on any other sites. This is in fact the first time I have ever posted on any site. I have decided to take an issue on the misunderstanding of our Bible. It went from Hebrew to Greek to English and along the way words were changed. In fact there are so many versions of the Bible now that everyone of them use different words and meanings to suit the mind of different people. Lie means to tell an untruth. Sex on the other hand means to have intercourse with some one.
Where does it say having sex or intercourse with another? If your Bible is in English, where does it say it? And why are you so upset with the subject of homosexuality? Why aren't you as upset on the subject of fornication, adultery, slothness, gluttony, thievery and murder? Why are you and others like you overlooking all of the other serious sins and attacking a minority group who is not even mentioned in the Bible, except in your own minds? Are you so much in to your own wicked ways that you reach out to attack others to cover up your own sins? God will forgive you of your sins if you will only ask him to.
Sir, I am interested in the exegesis of Leviticus 20:13 just as Jac has asked, and in accordance with my previous post.
Your age, travels, discussion with others and length of attendance at college do not provide that. Were I to write what you have done so as an answer to the question in an examination paper, it would be given no marks at all. It tells me nothing about that particular verse.

I do not attack minority groups. You don't even know me so how can you level such an accusation?
I am not one bit "upset" over homosexuality. Sexual immorality is denounced as a sin along with many many others. This thread relates specifically to homosexuality, not to all the other sins.
No one is overlooking the sins that you mention. The myriad other sins are simply not so relevant to this thread, but they are every bit as serious in that they interfere with a restored relationship with God if not confessed, repented and forgiven.
Asking for your exegesis of the verse is not attacking others, and there is no hiding from anything.

Please, I am interested in honest intelligent objective answers to the question - not in wild unfounded accusations concerning others you do not know.
Cougar
Recognized Member

Post by Cougar »

I am wondering why other peoples' affairs, meaning homosexuality in this case, are anyone else's business? Why do people who are not homosexual care if anyone else is? Are homosexuals doing you harm? How can someone else's homosexuality affect you in any way?

What happened to people minding their own business and allowing people to be who they are?
Kurieuo
Honored Member

Post by Kurieuo »

I believe practicing homosexuality is morally wrong for it goes against God's design for male and female to be united together. It seems apparent to me you virtue extreme political correctness in that you believe one should accept someones actions and beliefs as long as they don't hurt anyone. Given this, why can't you mind your own business and accept Christians with their belief that homosexuality is morally wrong rather than harassing them over such beliefs? Surely if homosexuals are still respected as people created in God's image there is nothing wrong with this?

For example, despite my belief homosexuality is immoral, I've still worked on a project with a very politically correct person who was gay, and I can say he was someone I could still admire as a person in other ways. One's sexuality isn't the be-all/end-all of a person, and I think the sooner BOTH sides realise this the better.

Kurieuo
IRQ Conflict

Post by IRQ Conflict »

Cougar wrote:I am wondering why other peoples' affairs, meaning homosexuality in this case, are anyone else's business? Why do people who are not homosexual care if anyone else is? Are homosexuals doing you harm? How can someone else's homosexuality affect you in any way?

What happened to people minding their own business and allowing people to be who they are?
Cougar, you act as though there are two people engaged in the unlawful act of a homosexual relationship behind closed doors!

Homosexuals are a skilled, highly orginized part of today's society. Pushing thier beliefs on our children through schools and pushing for spousal benifits, adopting children to teach them how to get a ticket to the highway to hell!

Not hurting anyone? Hahaha, ya, ok.. :roll:
Hellfire

1Ti 6:20 O Timothy, keep that which is committed to thy trust, avoiding profane and vain babblings, and oppositions of science falsely so called:
1Ti 6:21 Which some professing have erred concerning the faith. Grace be with thee. Amen.

"I have never let my schooling interfere with my education." - Mark Twain