Answering an atheist

Whether you are new or just lurking, take a moment to introduce yourself or discuss something general.
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Re: Answering an atheist

Post by PaulSacramento »

Audie wrote:Earlier I said-

"The particular all loving god that Christians visualize is of course indistinguishable
from one that does not exist at all."

How does one distinguish a god who does not intervene no matter what awful thing
is happening from one that does not exist at all?

That is a real question.
Ok, let me see if I can tackle this:
The Christian notion of God does NOT require Him to "intervene" to BE God.
God IS existence, the very fact that there IS ANYTHING AT ALL, that ANYTHING exists, means that God exists.

It's a tricky concept to get your mind around at frist BUT when you realize that God is the creator AND sustainer of all it means that nothing could exist without God.

With me so far?
Duggie70
Acquainted Member
Christian: No

Post by Duggie70 »

PaulSacramento wrote:God IS existence, the very fact that there IS ANYTHING AT ALL, that ANYTHING exists, means that God exists.
May I rephrase this to understand correctly?

Existence exists. Therefore God exists.

The fact that you are reading this means that God exists. Atoms exist therefore God exists.

Have I understood this faithfully?
Byblos
Old School

Post by Byblos »

Duggie70 wrote:
PaulSacramento wrote:God IS existence, the very fact that there IS ANYTHING AT ALL, that ANYTHING exists, means that God exists.
May I rephrase this to understand correctly?

Existence exists. Therefore God exists.

The fact that you are reading this means that God exists. Atoms exist therefore God exists.

Have I understood this faithfully?
It's rather the other way around, God exists (or is existence or in more philosophical jargon is pure actuality) therefore physical reality exists (which is a mix of potentiality and actuality). Without a pure actuality devoid of any potential nothing can exist.
Let us proclaim the mystery of our faith: Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again.

Lord I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

Byblos wrote:

"The particular all loving god that Christians visualize is of course indistinguishable

How does one distinguish a god who does not intervene no matter what awful thing

That is a real question.
Nothing more I wish for than to have a constructive conversation with you on the subject. Whatever you think (or I think) transpired between us in the past I can put aside and am willing to even apologize for my part in it. All in an effort to move forward. If you agree and are up for it let me know.

P.S. In case Audie doesn't see this post because she may have me on 'ignore', if I could ask a mod to convey this message to her in private and let me know (also in private) what her decision is.
Byblos,

I quoted you, so in case Audie has you on IG, she can still see what you said.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Audie
Ultimate Member
Sex: Female
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Post by Audie »

RickD wrote:
Byblos wrote:

That is a real question.
Nothing more I wish for than to have a constructive conversation with you on the subject. Whatever you think (or I think) transpired between us in the past I can put aside and am willing to even apologize for my part in it. All in an effort to move forward. If you agree and are up for it let me know.

P.S. In case Audie doesn't see this post because she may have me on 'ignore', if I could ask a mod to convey this message to her in private and let me know (also in private) what her decision is.
Byblos,

I quoted you, so in case Audie has you on IG, she can still see what you said.
I saw it earlier, thought I'd given it a thanks. It is there now. Again: thanks byb.
Audie
Ultimate Member

Post by Audie »

Byblos wrote:

That is a real question.

Any time byb. I'm sorry too. Excitable kind, me.
Audie
Ultimate Member

Post by Audie »

PaulSacramento wrote:

That is a real question.
God IS existence, the very fact that there IS ANYTHING AT ALL, that ANYTHING exists, means that God exists.

It's a tricky concept to get your mind around at frist BUT when you realize that God is the creator AND sustainer of all it means that nothing could exist without God.

With me so far?
Never thought that intervening was a necessity for a god, quite the opposite. I think guided evolution, say, has to be one of the lamest ideas ever.

I dont think "God is existence" is tricky as a concept. I just dont agree.

If you are detecting a god by this method it is indirectly at best. I consider it illusory.

Given that the figuring is correct tho-
How would you detect the distinction between a loving compassionate aspect to this god, when the behaviour seems identical to that of one that does not exist at all?
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

How would you detect the distinction between a loving compassionate aspect to this god, when the behaviour seems identical to that of one that does not exist at all?
First off you must understand that God's view and understanding of compassion and love is NOT like ours, for obvious reasons.
As for how we can distinguish between a loving and compassionate God and one that simply IS ?
Christianity solves and answers that question: Jesus Christ.
Audie
Ultimate Member

Post by Audie »

PaulSacramento wrote:
First off you must understand that God's view and understanding of compassion and love is NOT like ours, for obvious reasons.
Seriously, as much as the Christian message is beamed about, a person has to actively try to shut it out, if one is to avoid understanding it.

Not saying this just to be tendentious or provocative, but the supposed behaviour of said God as described in the bible is violent and disproportionate. Kill someone for glancing about; kill babies
for having been born first.

So yeah unacceptable by human standards.

I of course do not accept that there is a god, still less than anyone can provide information about
what such a being can or cannot do, likes, dislikes etc.

As for how we can distinguish between a loving and compassionate God and one that simply IS ?
Actually, you have that backwards from what I said. How do you distinguish a loving god who does nothing, from one who is not there at all?
Christianity solves and answers that question: Jesus Christ

He isnt doing anything either.
Hortator
Advanced Senior Member

Post by Hortator »

Audie wrote: Not saying this just to be tendentious or provocative, but the supposed behaviour of said God as described in the bible is violent and disproportionate. Kill someone for glancing about; kill babies
I may be able to help you with God's character, but first, which verses are these you are citing?
Audie
Ultimate Member

Post by Audie »

Hortator wrote:
Audie wrote: Not saying this just to be tendentious or provocative, but the supposed behaviour of said God as described in the bible is violent and disproportionate. Kill someone for glancing about; kill babies
I may be able to help you with God's character, but first, which verses are these you are citing?
Lots wife v Destruction of Sodom; Pharoah v Moses
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

He isnt doing anything either.
This is, of course, where you are so very wrong.
See, IF you think that it is, for some reason, God's "job" to fix our messes and take care of us ( and by take care I mean make it so that we don't have any problems and suffering) then NO, God is not doing that and never will because that would NOT be God.
See, a God that dominates and controls and dictates is, logically, one that is INFERIOR to a God that allows for free will and choice and rejecting and love and hate and so forth.
So, by the very nature of being GOD, God can't do what is inferior ( which would be dictating and controlling and overriding free will, etc).
See, you THINK he is not doing anything because he is not doing what YOU THINK He should.
That is NOT the same as not doing anything.
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

Audie wrote:
Hortator wrote:

I thought you didn't believe the bible...
Audie
Ultimate Member

Post by Audie »

PaulSacramento wrote:
Audie wrote:
Hortator wrote:

I thought you didn't believe the bible...
I read it as a historical novel. You didnt read my post, for content: the supposed behaviour of said God

As for "believe it" what does that even mean? Serious question.
abelcainsbrother
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Gap Theory

Post by abelcainsbrother »

Audie wrote:
PaulSacramento wrote:

That is a real question.

With me so far?
Never thought that intervening was a necessity for a god, quite the opposite. I think guided evolution, say, has to be one of the lamest ideas ever.

I dont think "God is existence" is tricky as a concept. I just dont agree.

If you are detecting a god by this method it is indirectly at best. I consider it illusory.

Given that the figuring is correct tho-
I don't see how you could think like you do,I mean I reject evolution and I have legit reasons why I reject it,however If I did accept evolution? There is noway I could think evolution could get started by nothing,it requires a creator to get it started,and just because science does'nt know how it got started? Does'nt mean we should step out of reality and wait on an answer that has not come forth for 150 years and waiting still.

Here read this Genesis 1:1 "In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth."
Hebrews 12:2-3 Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith;who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross,despising the shame,and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.

2nd Corinthians 4:4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not,lest the light of this glorious gospel of Christ,who is the image of God,should shine unto them.