Do YECs accept "ordinary days"?

Discussions on creation beliefs within Christianity, and topics related to creation.
Jac3510
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Re: Do YECs accept "ordinary days"?

Post by Jac3510 »

abelcainsbrother wrote:Abel, I'm not suggesting there is a contradiction. I'm making a more serious point. Ps 148:5 says the sun was created--bara. Gen 1:16 says the sun was made--asah. I'm not interested in some harmonization where you can try to preserve a distinction between the words. I've never claimed that the words are perfect synonyms. In fact I explicitly said the opposite. I said there was no difference in the meaning of the words in Gen 2:4. You asked how. I said because they have overlapping semantic ranges. Ps 148:5 demonstrates that. Again, you are free to try to claim words are being used in a technical sense in any given passage. There are rules for how you do that. I don't think you give them any thought, and I think you do so to your own detriment. Whenever you claim a word has a technical meaning, your position is immediately and necessarily weakened, if for no other reason than the fact that you have to give textual justification for your claim. That's just another reason, one of a great many, why I reject your interpretation of Gen 1 as unwarranted. But all of that is totally beside the point. I really hope that you can try to see the point I am making rather than reactively defending your own view. The only point I'm making is that bara and asah are synonyms in that they have a largely overlap semantic range, and Gen 2:4, they each bear a common meaning.

Jac,I'm not trying to be disrespectful but you said there is no difference between bara and asah and this is why I think there is disagreement.Now,I admit they are similar but I think you are wrong to believe there is no difference.

Here is why,Let's use Genesis 1:1 again.It uses the word bara when it says "In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth." Now if I asked you did God create the heavens and earth out of nothing? You would say yes based on John chapter 1 and yet eeverytime we see the word as ah or made God is building or working on something out of already existing materials orr things he had already created. And this is the difference in the words bars and as ah that I think must not be overlooked. This is not reading anything into the text or anything it is what we notice when we see the words bara and asah

Now keeping with this distinction we see the distinction in Genesis 2:4 where God both creates the heavens and earth but also made them too,and so the same thing applies to the earth,sun,moon,stars,etc like I said earlier.

I cannot control how you define bara and asah but yes if you believe three is no difference like you said above then you will read it like you do,but not if you notice the distinction as you read whenever the words bara and asah are used.

I think this is the real key and will greatly effect how we read Genesis.

Thanks for your explanation,you explain things so well.
So you are opting to claim that asah has a technical meaning rather than recognizing that word's common meaning. Fine. You can do that.You just have to show where your position is warranted and understand that you are severely weakening your position.

Beyond the fact that there's no warrant for Moses using asah in a technical sense, I think that there is good warrant for the claim that he is using it in the every day, normal sense of the word: God created (bara) the sea creatures (Gen 1:21). God made (asah) the land creatures (1:25). So you'd have me believe that God created the sea creatures ex nihilo but he fashioned the land animals out of preexisting material? REALLY? Or what about mankind? The text says that God created (bara) him (Gen 1:27). But the text also says that God made him (asah) only one verse earlier (Gen 1:26)!

The bottom line is that asah does not necessarily mean "to fashion out of preexisting material" and bara does not necessarily mean "to create out of nothing." The words are simply interchangeable. I'd encourage you to honestly consider whether or not you get this technical distinction between the two words from textual evidence (if so, where is it?) or if its being driven by a desire to see it to defend your gap theory. I'm afraid you're just reading the text in light of your theology, rather than letting the text inform your theology. . . .
Proinsias wrote:I don't think you are hearing me. Preference for ice cream is a moral issue
And that, brothers and sisters, is the kind of foolishness you get people who insist on denying biblical theism. A good illustration of any as the length people will go to avoid acknowledging basic truths.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

Jac3510 wrote:
abelcainsbrother wrote:Jac brought up asah of day 4 which sticks out to me.I see bara and asah when I read Genesis.But I'm wondering how Jac interprets Genesis 2:4 with both bara and asah in it.What is the difference?
There is no difference. The words are synonyms.
Here's an interesting link I found about creation day 4. And it talks about asah and bara.
And the link also gets into the made/had made issue.

Jac,

I find it difficult to believe that you actually think there's NO difference between the two.

Anyways, here's the link:
http://www.creationingenesis.com/TheFou ... iveDay.pdf
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Jac3510
Ultimate Member

Post by Jac3510 »

There is no difference in Gen 2:4. I never said there was no difference absolutely. To quote myself:
I wrote: I've never claimed that the words are perfect synonyms. In fact I explicitly said the opposite. I said there was no difference in the meaning of the words in Gen 2:4. You asked how. I said because they have overlapping semantic ranges.
I think it's also worth noting that the LXX translators agreed with me. They translated both bara and asah by the same Greek word (poieo, if you want to know). See here:
  • ἐν ἀρχῇ ἐποίησεν ὁ θεὸς τὸν οὐρανὸν καὶ τὴν γῆν (Gen 1:1)
    καὶ ἐποίησεν ὁ θεὸς τοὺς δύο φωστῆρας (Gen 1:16)
Even if you don't read Greek, you can see that this is the same word--transliterated "epoiesen" (pronounced eh-POY-ay-son). The first, of course, translates bara and the second translates asah. But hey, maybe they didn't know Hebrew as well as we do. ;)

edit:

And I read the link. There is some good stuff there. I've been saying for a while that theo's interpretation is defensible. He brings out some of the reasons why. He's wrong in the "had made" translation. Better to render asah something like "established" and you can still claim that the heavenly bodies were literally created at 1:1. I'm very sympathetic to that view, and it's actually not incompatible with everything else I've been saying. If you are interested in me responding to anything in the article in particular, though, I'd need you to point out where. It doesn't seem like it would be helpful for me to line by line and show what I agree with and what I disagree with and why. :|

edit2:

For the record, there is a sense in which I can see a distinction between bara and asah in Gen 2:4. While recognizing the significant overlap between the two words, I can imagine someone arguing that Moses was highlighting not only the creation of everything in bara but the bringing order out of chaos in asah. That's certainly a, if not the, major theme of Gen 1. I also think it's very important to properly understanding Gen 2 and ultimately the entire unit of Gen 1-11. BUT that's one of those views in which I can see it as possible and consistent with the evidence yet lacking any definitive evidence in its favor. Hebrew parallelism seems to much more strongly favor taking the words as real synonyms in this verse, and given their significant semantic overlap, I don't see any pressing evidence in favor of claiming a distinction.
Proinsias wrote:I don't think you are hearing me. Preference for ice cream is a moral issue
And that, brothers and sisters, is the kind of foolishness you get people who insist on denying biblical theism. A good illustration of any as the length people will go to avoid acknowledging basic truths.
abelcainsbrother
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Gap Theory

Post by abelcainsbrother »

I think this is an interesting discussion from different viewpoints and while we may not all agree I still think this is a good discussion to have and I have definitely learned some things I did'nt know about like the HGM however IMO I don't like the HGM because of its restrictiveness and we must ignore other parts of the bible in order to hold yo the HGM.To me all scripture is inspired by God and I do not believe the bible can be fully understood if we can't use other scripture from other parts of the bible.

The bible yo me is like a big jigsaw puzzle and to get the full picture we must put scripture together in both the old and new testament.I know not everybody is interested in bible prophecy but it is especially important to do this in order yo understand or get the fuller picture, and yet things like bible prophecy cannot be done or understood if we went by the HGM.

Going by the HGM will actually cause a person to not understand the big full picture and understanding of God's word and even when it comes to creation there are many other places in scripture in different books that should be put together in order to understand creation,yet I now realize that every time I've done it on here to make a point it was ignored by those who go by the HGM.
Hebrews 12:2-3 Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith;who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross,despising the shame,and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.

2nd Corinthians 4:4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not,lest the light of this glorious gospel of Christ,who is the image of God,should shine unto them.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

abelcainsbrother wrote:I think this is an interesting discussion from different viewpoints and while we may not all agree I still think this is a good discussion to have and I have definitely learned some things I did'nt know about like the HGM however IMO I don't like the HGM because of its restrictiveness and we must ignore other parts of the bible in order to hold yo the HGM.To me all scripture is inspired by God and I do not believe the bible can be fully understood if we can't use other scripture from other parts of the bible.

The bible yo me is like a big jigsaw puzzle and to get the full picture we must put scripture together in both the old and new testament.I know not everybody is interested in bible prophecy but it is especially important to do this in order yo understand or get the fuller picture, and yet things like bible prophecy cannot be done or understood if we went by the HGM.

Going by the HGM will actually cause a person to not understand the big full picture and understanding of God's word and even when it comes to creation there are many other places in scripture in different books that should be put together in order to understand creation,yet I now realize that every time I've done it on here to make a point it was ignored by those who go by the HGM.
ACB,

Take a look at this post by Kurieuo. It explains different levels of strictness of the HGM. And included, is your issue about using scripture to interpret scripture.
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

-Edward R Murrow

abelcainsbrother
Ultimate Member

Jac3510 wrote:
abelcainsbrother wrote:Abel, I'm not suggesting there is a contradiction. I'm making a more serious point. Ps 148:5 says the sun was created--bara. Gen 1:16 says the sun was made--asah. I'm not interested in some harmonization where you can try to preserve a distinction between the words. I've never claimed that the words are perfect synonyms. In fact I explicitly said the opposite. I said there was no difference in the meaning of the words in Gen 2:4. You asked how. I said because they have overlapping semantic ranges. Ps 148:5 demonstrates that. Again, you are free to try to claim words are being used in a technical sense in any given passage. There are rules for how you do that. I don't think you give them any thought, and I think you do so to your own detriment. Whenever you claim a word has a technical meaning, your position is immediately and necessarily weakened, if for no other reason than the fact that you have to give textual justification for your claim. That's just another reason, one of a great many, why I reject your interpretation of Gen 1 as unwarranted. But all of that is totally beside the point. I really hope that you can try to see the point I am making rather than reactively defending your own view. The only point I'm making is that bara and asah are synonyms in that they have a largely overlap semantic range, and Gen 2:4, they each bear a common meaning.

Jac,I'm not trying to be disrespectful but you said there is no difference between bara and asah and this is why I think there is disagreement.Now,I admit they are similar but I think you are wrong to believe there is no difference.

Here is why,Let's use Genesis 1:1 again.It uses the word bara when it says "In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth." Now if I asked you did God create the heavens and earth out of nothing? You would say yes based on John chapter 1 and yet eeverytime we see the word as ah or made God is building or working on something out of already existing materials orr things he had already created. And this is the difference in the words bars and as ah that I think must not be overlooked. This is not reading anything into the text or anything it is what we notice when we see the words bara and asah

Now keeping with this distinction we see the distinction in Genesis 2:4 where God both creates the heavens and earth but also made them too,and so the same thing applies to the earth,sun,moon,stars,etc like I said earlier.

I cannot control how you define bara and asah but yes if you believe three is no difference like you said above then you will read it like you do,but not if you notice the distinction as you read whenever the words bara and asah are used.

I think this is the real key and will greatly effect how we read Genesis.

Thanks for your explanation,you explain things so well.
So you are opting to claim that asah has a technical meaning rather than recognizing that word's common meaning. Fine. You can do that.You just have to show where your position is warranted and understand that you are severely weakening your position.

Beyond the fact that there's no warrant for Moses using asah in a technical sense, I think that there is good warrant for the claim that he is using it in the every day, normal sense of the word: God created (bara) the sea creatures (Gen 1:21). God made (asah) the land creatures (1:25). So you'd have me believe that God created the sea creatures ex nihilo but he fashioned the land animals out of preexisting material? REALLY? Or what about mankind? The text says that God created (bara) him (Gen 1:27). But the text also says that God made him (asah) only one verse earlier (Gen 1:26)!

The bottom line is that asah does not necessarily mean "to fashion out of preexisting material" and bara does not necessarily mean "to create out of nothing." The words are simply interchangeable. I'd encourage you to honestly consider whether or not you get this technical distinction between the two words from textual evidence (if so, where is it?) or if its being driven by a desire to see it to defend your gap theory. I'm afraid you're just reading the text in light of your theology, rather than letting the text inform your theology. . . .

I'm glad you brought up day 5 and 6 when we finally see the word bara or create again since Genesis 1:1 and although I made the point that bara in Genesis 1:1 is God creating the heavens and earth out of nothing,you could also say when you see barait was the first time it was created like whales,but it is important to still notice the words bara and as ah in day 5 and 6 as the distinction is still there and is in context because certain things God created it was the first time he created it,but when he made creatures it was after theit kind or after his kind,which means they had already been created before,do not overlook away and " after their kind" or " after his kind" but ask yourself,what this means.

Because once we realize what is being said by Moses especially in the KJV but it really does not matter because the Hebrew does not change,only the translation does,but once we see the words " after their kind" or " after his kind" and God telling Adam and Eve to replenish the earth,you have no problem when God tells Noah and his family to replenish the earth,yet do when it comes to Adam and Eve.It is the same Hebrew word,so should we tralate it fill when it comes to Noah and his family? Or would replenish be a better translatyion? I say replenish,so why not when it comes to Adam and Eve? Replenish the earth.

And if it comes down to a translation we prefer? Then I don't think it is a desire to really understand what Moses was saying.

I'm not a KJV onlyist however whether we agree or not with the way it was translated we still should respect them translators and not just dismiss it and they translated it like they did for a reason and I think it proves the gap theory was known about and understood way back then and these newer translations reflect mainly YEC and makes it more difficult to see what bible translators of the past believed based on their translation.

Now I can use most any of the newer translations but I can still see a difference.

If we have God created certain life for the first time,but God making certain life after their kind or after his kind and the God telling Adam and Eve to replenish the earth,then what is it telling us?That certain life was new kinds of life,but certain life had already been created before and this is why God tells Adam and Eve to replenish the earth.Why is it not God had created certain life already on the earth before and created new kinds of life too?
Hebrews 12:2-3 Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith;who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross,despising the shame,and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.

2nd Corinthians 4:4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not,lest the light of this glorious gospel of Christ,who is the image of God,should shine unto them.
abelcainsbrother
Ultimate Member

Bara means to create in the sense to make something out of nothing like bring into existence and something new,asah also means making something out of pre existing material or work on something that had already been created.
âśâh
Phonetic: aw-saw'
BDB Definition:
to do, fashion, accomplish, make
(Qal)
to do, work, make, produce
to do
to work
to deal (with)
to act, act with effect, effect
to make
to make
to produce
to prepare
to make (an offering)
to attend to, put in order
to observe, celebrate
to acquire (property)
to appoint, ordain, institute
to bring about
to use
to spend, pass
(Niphal)
to be done
to be made
to be produced
to be offered
to be observed
to be used
(Pual) to be made
(Piel) to press, squeeze
baw-raw'
BDB Definition:
to create, shape, form
(Qal) to shape, fashion, create (always with God as subject)
of heaven and earth
of individual man
of new conditions and circumstances
of transformations
(Niphal) to be created
of heaven and earth
of birth
of something new
of miracles
(Piel)
to cut down
to cut out
to be fat
(Hiphil) to make yourselves fat
Origin: a primitive root
TWOT entry: 278
Part(s) of speech: Verb
Strong's Definition: A primitive root; (absolutely) to create ; (qualified) to cut down (a wood), select, feed (as formative processes): - choose

abelcainsbrother
Ultimate Member

RickD wrote:
abelcainsbrother wrote:I think this is an interesting discussion from different viewpoints and while we may not all agree I still think this is a good discussion to have and I have definitely learned some things I did'nt know about like the HGM however IMO I don't like the HGM because of its restrictiveness and we must ignore other parts of the bible in order to hold yo the HGM.To me all scripture is inspired by God and I do not believe the bible can be fully understood if we can't use other scripture from other parts of the bible.

ACB,

I did read it and Kurieuo did a good job breaking down the HGM and the levels of strictness and I agree with the issues he brought up about it.I'm glad he explained it like he did and even about yom and how it can mean long periods of time and he used Genesis 2:4 too to make his point and I had overlooked it was in their too.Still I can definitely see how a case can be made that the 6 days of creation can be long periods of time instead of just normal days,I believe Moses already reveals the heavens and earth are old and not young and if so,then do we really need to stretch out the days too? I'm not sure but I can see how a case can be made that they can.I'm maybe open to the possibility we can have an old heavens and earth and stretch out the days to be long periods of time based on what all God did on certain days,this is a good point.

But I'm against uniformitarianism and see more catastrophism when I look at the evidence and the only reason to have it is because of life evolving,they always make sure at least some life survives through the extinction events and I know this is true because of " snow ball earth" when it was first proposed it was a completely frozen earth and based on Genesis 1:2 we Gap theorists watched and scientists because of evolution brought up evolution and would have rejected it if they could not show life survived it,so they weakened it for the sake of evolution and moved it so far out in time that when it happened hardly no life had evolved yet.
Also considering the science of today I'm not so sure I should accept the bbt because it is based on evolution and that is a problem for me,even though I can understand how it can fit into Genesis 1 and they make it fit well,but so can theistic evolutionists making revolution fit into Genesis. We all can't be right even though we each all have parts of the truth.

Also I have actually seen how the others with the exception of progressive creationism,but I have already seen how day age,YEC,theistic evolution and intelligent design have done against evolution but I have not seen how the gap theory or progressive creationism will do to evolution and I wish to see it someday and the sooner the church learns the truth we can.

Take a look at this post by Kurieuo. It explains different levels of strictness of the HGM. And included, is your issue about using scripture to interpret scripture.

RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Jac wrote:
Let me address some of the points you brought up. If I missed something important, let me know:

1. You claim that we can translate "God made [the sun]" as "God had made the sun." I disagree. If by "can" you mean that it is within the acceptable rules of grammar considered apart from context, then sure. But by that criteria, we can translate John 1:1 "The Word was a god." Now, if you want to talk about the translation of verbs and how that relates to this particular verse, we can. And perhaps after I make my case, you'll still disagree. But suffice it to say here that I do not think that we can translate the phrase as you suggest, and the fact that no one that I'm aware of has ever translated it that way should tell you something. Don't go ACB on me here and claim all those Hebrew scholars are wrong . . . (how is THAT for a rhetorical debate tactic! ;))
Ok. So we disagree about made/had made. Either way, I don't think it makes much of a difference anyways. At least regarding the 4th creation day.
Genesis 1:14-19
14 Then God said, “Let there be lights in the [t]expanse of the heavens to separate the day from the night, and let them be for signs and for seasons and for days and years; 15 and let them be for lights in the [v]expanse of the heavens to give light on the earth”; and it was so. 16 God made the two [w]great lights, the greater [x]light [y]to govern the day, and the lesser [z]light [aa]to govern the night; He made the stars also. 17 God placed them in the [ab]expanse of the heavens to give light on the earth, 18 and [ac]to govern the day and the night, and to separate the light from the darkness; and God saw that it was good. 19 There was evening and there was morning, a fourth day.

You interpret this text to mean that the sun, moon and stars were created on day 4. I think it is showing how the already existing sun, moon, and stars, became visible to someone on the earth's surface. Verses 14-16 explain how the sun, moon and stars that God already created, became visible(verses 17-18) to govern the day and night. And to separate the light from darkness.

Jac wrote:
2. We had this little exchange:

The simple fact is that the sun comes after the creation of light. That is completely impossible to get away from. That's been my point the entire time.

And I disagree. It's not a simple fact. It's your interpretation. The sun existed on the first day. The sun is the source of light.

Jac wrote:
I overstated my case. What I should have said is that the simple fact is that the text depicts the sun coming into existence after the creation of light. THAT is what you can't get away from. And to demonstrate that is what was in my mind, look at my language later in the same post:

That which does not exist cannot produce that which does exist;
Evening/morning is depicted as existing before the sun, which is to say, evening/morning are depicted as having existed at one point in which the sun did not)
Therefore, the evening/morning cycle is not produced by the sun;
Side note: so produces the evening/morning cycle? Answer: the light, created on day 1

Ok. Looks like we're at an impasse here too. The light on day one comes from the already existing sun, moon, stars, etc.

Jac wrote:
Now, if you are going to argue that even though light is depicted as coming first and the sun depicted as coming later that, despite the actual language of the text, that the text really wants us to understand that the sun was already in existence, then fine. You can make that argument. But, of course, you have to make that argument from the text. You don't get to appeal to things like the rotation of the earth to do it. And just offering a conclusion--a counter reading of the text--by claiming that we can interpret the fourth day to teach that "[the sun] just became visible" isn't sufficient. I don't need an interpretation. I need warrant for that interpretation.

Again, we disagree. No need to press it. It's a common YEC/OEC disagreement.

Jac wrote:
3. Then you said:

You are the one practicing eisogesis, by saying that there was light other than the sun which existed on day 1. The text does not say that the light was something other than the sun. You just assume it was, because you wrongly believe the sun didn't exist until the 4th day.

And this I just disagree with you on, and very strongly. The text says there was light. Three days later, the text says there was the sun. It is not eisogesis to say that if there is no sun, then it cannot produce the light. Nor is it eisogesis to say that the light was there without the sun, because that is exactly what the text depicts.

Light first.
Sun later.

It's eisogesis to say that there was some light source that God created, that He just removed, and put back each day, to make evening/morning cycles. Instead of understanding the simplest interpretation that makes sense,the sun existed on day one, and the sun was the source of light, which was responsible for the evening/morning cycles that make up an ordinary day, you need to make up some story about God creating some special light that He removes and puts back every day, to make a day. It's no better than the typical "appearance of age" arguments used by YECs, to try to get around the universe looks old, because it is old.

Jac wrote:
4. Then you said:

I can say that ordinary days didn't exist if there was no sun, for the same reason we can't use the earth spinning on its axis as an argument.

You've contradicted yourself here. The second part is right. We cannot talk about the earth spinning on its axis. As you point out, that's modern science. Moses wouldn't have known about it. In just the same way, you canNOT say "that ordinary days didn't exist if there was no sun." That statement assumes that the sun defines the day based on the rotation of the earth. And what I am telling you--and if you respond to nothing else, please just respond to this--is that the definition of a morning/evening is the presence or absense of the light. Look at these two statements side by side:

The definition of a morning/evening is the presence or absense of the light
The definition of a morning/evening is the rising or setting of the sun

Jac, we are talking about ordinary days as Moses would have understood the term. Morning/evening is the presence or absence of light BECAUSE the sun is rising or setting. Again, as Moses would have seen it, the light becomes present BECAUSE the sun is rising. The light fades away BECAUSE the sun is setting. Moses saw that every day of his life(weather permitting).

Jac wrote:
Now, MODERN SCIENCE tells us, due to the rotation of the earth, that these sentences mean the same thing. But exclude modern science. Imagine a world in which light exists apart from the sun, that the sun is certainly a light giving body such that when it is there, night is not, but that it comes with the light, governing and marking it--it does not determine the light. That shouldn't be a hard picture to imagine. Maybe it is easy for me because I have a five year old daughter. She thinks the sun wakes up first thing in the morning. Do you see that? Morning comes. It starts to get light outside. And the sun comes up! The, then sun gets tired. It starts to get dark. And that tells the sun that it is bedtime.

Do you see that difference? If so, you should be able to see that those two statements are NOT the same thing.

From Moses' point of view, the two sentences mean the same thing. From Moses pov, the absence and presence of light, is cause by the setting and rising of the sun. You cannot get away from that fact!

Jac wrote:
5. Finally, you want to talk about the meaning of boqer and ereb. I grant that part of their meaning is "sunrise" and "sunset" respectively, that is, that those ideas are within those words' semantic range. But that is not the same thing as saying that evening (ereb) means a sunset. What it means is just that: the evening. You can, of course, use the word to refer to the sunset, to the time of the day in which the sun sets. But there is no 1:1 correspondence there. That's just not how definitions work.

You asked me to show you from scripture, proof to back up what I'm saying. So I showed you that scripturally, boqer and ereb CAN mean sunrise and sunset. Now, if you want to say that they don't always mean sunrise and sunset, I agree.

Jac wrote:
Given all that, I won't retract my claim of dishonesty. I'm not, in that, leveling a charge of malice, because I'm not sure tha the dishonesty is intentional. Moses would certainly know an ordinary day if the sun didn't exist. He'd look for an evening/morning cycle based on the light that God created on day 1. To claim that Moses couldn't know such because the light necessarily presumes the sun is correct scientifically, but we aren't reading science into the text. So the argument is dishonest because it claims not to rely on science but then smuggles it in through the backdoor

And I'd just disagree. It's just ridiculous to think that Moses didn't know that the light becomes present, and absent BECAUSE the sun is rising and setting. He saw it everyday. Even a five year old can make the connection.

Jac,

I know you wanted an argument from scripture. And frankly, I can understand why you want to stick to scripture alone. Because half the argument that proves YEC wrong, IMHO, comes from how we look at God's creation. You can say that the sun didn't exist on day one from your interpretation of scripture, and I'd disagree. But when you start looking at how we see creation, the notion that the sun didn't exist until day 4, becomes ridiculous.

Just look at day 3, which you say happened before the sun existed:
9 Then God said, “Let the waters below the heavens be gathered into one place, and let the dry land appear”; and it was so. 10 God called the dry land earth, and the gathering of the waters He called seas; and God saw that it was good. 11 Then God said, “Let the earth sprout [j]vegetation, [k]plants yielding seed, and fruit trees on the earth bearing fruit after [l]their kind [m]with seed in them”; and it was so. 12 The earth brought forth [n]vegetation, [o]plants yielding seed after [p]their kind, and trees bearing fruit [q]with seed in them, after [r]their kind; and God saw that it was good. 13 There was evening and there was morning, a third day.

So, not only did God have to remove and put back this "light" for the evening/morning cycle to happen without the sun, but on the third day, the waters were gathered into seas. And that means that God had to sustain the earth's temperature without the sun. And vegetation sprouted. The earth brought forth seed plants, and fruit trees, which grew WITHOUT THE SUN.

So, we can believe and have a basis for the belief from the HGM, that the sun existed on the first day. This sun was created by God, as the source of light that Moses knew was the reason for the evening/morning cycle. This sun existed on the 3rd creation day, however long that day was. And the sun was an integral part of all the plants growing. The same way that the sun is an integral part of how plant life is sustained today.

Or, you can believe there was no sun until day 4. The light for the evening and morning cycles was removed and put back by God. And the temperature of earth's atmosphere was sustained by God without the sun, so that the water on the earth didn't freeze. And God, without the sun, had the earth sprout, grow and sustain plant life WITHOUT photosynthesis, and the warmth of the sun.

So, we have 2 different beliefs. Each is compatible with a HGM interpretation of scripture. But only one of the two makes sense with what we see everyday in our lives.

And obviously it goes without saying, that God could have removed and put back some kind of light. And God could have sustained the earth's temperature so the water didn't freeze. And God could have made another way to have plants sprout, grow, and live without the sun.

But which makes more sense? Seems pretty obvious.

-Edward R Murrow

Jac3510
Ultimate Member

Post by Jac3510 »

Rick, I'm not going to respond to your post. The reason is that I find myself restating the same case over and over again and you aren't interacting with my positon as I hold to it. This notion you've invented of "some special light that [God] removes and puts back every day" sounds stupid because it is stupid. That's not what I have ever said, it's not what I'm saying, it's not what I hold. You can try to say that's what my words mean all you want. I am informing you that you have misinterpreted my words for the ten millionth time, and I don't know how many times to restate my case in different words. You're just not seeing it, and that's fine. You don't have to. But I can assure that our failure to communicate on this has colored everything else, so there's not reason to respond to it any further. You aren't even critiquing my position, so what's the point? Meh.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Jac3510 wrote:Rick, I'm not going to respond to your post. The reason is that I find myself restating the same case over and over again and you aren't interacting with my positon as I hold to it. This notion you've invented of "some special light that [God] removes and puts back every day" sounds stupid because it is stupid. That's not what I have ever said, it's not what I'm saying, it's not what I hold. You can try to say that's what my words mean all you want. I am informing you that you have misinterpreted my words for the ten millionth time, and I don't know how many times to restate my case in different words. You're just not seeing it, and that's fine. You don't have to. But I can assure that our failure to communicate on this has colored everything else, so there's not reason to respond to it any further. You aren't even critiquing my position, so what's the point? Meh.
Ok Jac.

If you haven't given up on responding to me, show me where my error is with what you're saying.

I see your argument as follows:

An ordinary day as Moses would have known it, was defined as an evening/ morning cycle.
And an evening/morning cycle is defined by the absence/presence of light, without the sun.
That absence/presence of light is because of either a light God created, or God Himself is the light.
In order for there to be an absence/presence of light, God has to remove the light(if the light is a creation), or God has to remove His presence(if His presence is the light).
And then to be a presence after the evening cycle, God puts the light back, or His presence returns.
Where have I gone wrong?

-Edward R Murrow

Jac3510
Ultimate Member

Post by Jac3510 »

I've not given up on responding to you Rick. I said I wasn't going to respond to that post because it didn't represent my position. As to your question, you went wrong here:
  • That absence/presence of light is because of either a light God created, or God Himself is the light.
    In order for there to be an absence/presence of light, God has to remove the light(if the light is a creation), or God has to remove His presence(if His presence is the light).
Ignore the struck out material. That's in a different universe from what I'm saying. Anyway, I'm not saying God created "a" light, as if there was some placeholder light source. I'm saying He created light. I'm not saying God has to remove the light for there to be evening anymore than I would say God has to remove the ocean for there to be lowtide in the tide cycle. You're making it sound like three days of special creation of light. I've repeatedly said that the first three days are exactly the same as the last three days, including the nature of the light. The first three days are just like today, including the nature of the light.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Jac3510 wrote:I've not given up on responding to you Rick. I said I wasn't going to respond to that post because it didn't represent my position. As to your question, you went wrong here:
  • That absence/presence of light is because of either a light God created, or God Himself is the light.
Ignore the struck out material. That's in a different universe from what I'm saying. Anyway, I'm not saying God created "a" light, as if there was some placeholder light source. I'm saying He created light. I'm not saying God has to remove the light for there to be evening anymore than I would say God has to remove the ocean for there to be lowtide in the tide cycle. You're making it sound like three days of special creation of light. I've repeatedly said that the first three days are exactly the same as the last three days, including the nature of the light. The first three days are just like today, including the nature of the light.
Ok. I can see why you think I'm not representing your position. But even explaining it the way you just did, I still don't see how it effects what I'm saying. We are talking about an ordinary day as Moses would understand it. Even with what you just said, Moses would still need to see days with evening/morning cycles. The evening, when the light disappears until it's no longer visible. Or darkness. Then the morning, when light begins to become visible again, until it's light. If you want to compare it to the ocean tide, it still doesn't change the fact that the light is visible, then it's not.
It just seems like a lot of rigmarole, just to say the sun didn't exist.

And I'm not sure how you can say the first three days are just like today, regarding an ordinary day.

-Edward R Murrow

Jac3510
Ultimate Member

Post by Jac3510 »

Because the source of the light is a scientific question, not a theological question. We know the source of the morning/evening cyle is the rotation of the earth on its axis and which side of the earth faces the sun. Fine. Totally unrelated to the interpretation of Genesis 1 or what Moses meant when he wrote. I mean, if he was writing about the tide, would you insist that he had some knowledge of the moon's gravitational effect on the earth's waters? Of course not.

Genesis 1 depicts the sun as coming with the light. The sun rises in the morning. It's not that the sunrise determines the morning. It's that the morning comes, and so the sun rises. That's why I gave the example of my five year old. You really have to do the very hard work of breaking out of a 21st century mindset and letting yourself read the text the way a fifteenth century BC Jew born and raised in Egypt would have read it. That is the essence of the HGM. And that's why the first three days are the same as the one we are in now. I thoroughly expect that Moses and my daughter would have the same overall view of the relationship between the morning, light, and sunrise. It's the same thing. An ordinary day is an evening/morning/evening cycle. The sun comes up in the morning. It goes down in the evening. It comes back up the next morning. That's it. That's the way it was on the first day. That's the way it is today.

Again, is theo's position defensible? Absolutely! My whole complaint has nothing to do with theo's position. It is that K's original critique is fundamentally flawed. It is incorrect to say that YEC's who hold the sun as coming into existence on the fourth day are either inconsistent with the HGM or else do not believe in ordinary days. That's a wrong claim. I've demonstrated that following the HGM, YEC does give us an ordinary day. I grant that AiG's "placeholder lightsource" is a ridiculous interpretation insofar as it deviates from the HGM. It is just pure eisogesis (although I don't grant that it leads to some sort of "supernatural" day). But that means that K's critique--and yours, I suggest--ought to be at the eisogesis involving a placemaker lightsource until the sun is created, not the argument that has been put forward.
Last edited by Jac3510 on Sun Aug 02, 2015 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

K,

Getting back to your OP.

I can't see how YECs believe in an ordinary day.

There's nothing ordinary about a day without the sun. The sun is the source of light on the earth. The sun is what causes evenings and mornings. Sunrises and sunsets.

YECs make a point of interpreting the bible by a simple reading. Then they go out of the way to make complicated, the whole issue of light on at least the first 3 days, as something other than sunlight.

-Edward R Murrow