Understanding the Trinity

General discussions about Christianity including salvation, heaven and hell, Christian history and so on.
crochet1949
Esteemed Senior Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Re: Understanding the Trinity

Post by crochet1949 »

Kurieuo wrote:Of course, the Holy Spirit impregnated Mary -- that makes Him male. ;)
  • Matthew 1:18 Now the birth of Jesus Christ was as follows: when His mother Mary had been betrothed to Joseph, before they came together she was found to be with child by the Holy Spirit.

Hmmm -- guess I never thought about the maleness of the Holy Spirit as in impregnating her. At least not in the sense that a "human male' would be impregnating a woman. But I Do agree that the Holy Spirit is designated as a He.
Philip
Site Owner
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by Philip »

As God created "man in Our image, " and as He created mankind as both male a female, and with unique attributes for both, I'd say that indicates that God has a range of BOTH of what we consider both masculine and feminine traits, with key of these being prominent and generally different per one's assigned gender.
jenna
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Gap Theory

Post by jenna »

Kurieuo wrote:Of course, the Holy Spirit impregnated Mary -- that makes Him male. ;)
  • Matthew 1:18 Now the birth of Jesus Christ was as follows: when His mother Mary had been betrothed to Joseph, before they came together she was found to be with child by the Holy Spirit.
so then God the Father is not really His Father? the HS is? y:-?
some things are better left unsaid, which i generally realize after i have said them
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

jenna wrote:
None of the persons of the Trinity are called the "father" of Jesus in relation to his temporal birth.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
abelcainsbrother
Ultimate Member

Post by abelcainsbrother »

If Jesus is God and he is John 20:28, Acts 20:28 then why would'nt the Holy Spirit be God also? Why leave off the Holy Spirit and separate it?
Hebrews 12:2-3 Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith;who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross,despising the shame,and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.

2nd Corinthians 4:4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not,lest the light of this glorious gospel of Christ,who is the image of God,should shine unto them.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

abelcainsbrother wrote:If Jesus is God and he is John 20:28, Acts 20:28 then why would'nt the Holy Spirit be God also? Why leave off the Holy Spirit and separate it?
ACB,

Trying to get Jenna to understand the Trinity before arguing against it, is like trying to get you to understand evolution, before your arguing against it.

:pillows:
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

-Edward R Murrow

abelcainsbrother
Ultimate Member

RickD wrote:
abelcainsbrother wrote:If Jesus is God and he is John 20:28, Acts 20:28 then why would'nt the Holy Spirit be God also? Why leave off the Holy Spirit and separate it?
ACB,

Trying to get Jenna to understand the Trinity before arguing against it, is like trying to get you to understand evolution, before your arguing against it.

But I do understand evolution which is why noone has refuted me.Their only answer is I don't understand it,etc.You just believe what they say.
Hebrews 12:2-3 Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith;who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross,despising the shame,and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.

2nd Corinthians 4:4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not,lest the light of this glorious gospel of Christ,who is the image of God,should shine unto them.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

abelcainsbrother wrote:
RickD wrote:
ACB,

But I do understand evolution which is why noone has refuted me.Their only answer is I don't understand it,etc.You just believe what they say.

You've given no evidence to refute!

-Edward R Murrow

crochet1949
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by crochet1949 »

jenna wrote:

It Would mean that Jesus has both a divine and human nature. And THAT was necessary so that His shed blood Would take away our sinfulness and He Could be resurrected from the dead. Because If Jesus were simply another baby being born --he would only have a human nature-- his eventual death would simply be another death/ everyone would Still be dying in their sinfulness. BUT the Fact Is that Jesus was born To Show us the Father (because He WAS the Father, in the flesh).

And Jesus Christ Needed to ascend back up to the Father, so that the Holy Spirit Could come to mankind to indwell each believer at the moment of their salvation.
crochet1949
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by crochet1949 »

RickD wrote:
jenna wrote:
None of the persons of the Trinity are called the "father" of Jesus in relation to his temporal birth.
You're right -- Joseph was Jesus earthly, temporal father.
crochet1949
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by crochet1949 »

The Holy Spirit IS part of the Godhead -- with His own special purpose.

Yes, "I and My Father Are One" -- The Holy Spirit is the part that comes to indwell each believer. As a believer, the Holy Spirit IS indwelling me -- right now -- but I Still pray to my Heavenly Father. And I'm Only able to do That BECAUSE Jesus Christ died on the cross, shed His blood and rose again bodily from the dead -- the cross being the 'bridge' between me and God.
crochet1949
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by crochet1949 »

RickD wrote:
ACB,

That is NOT arguing Against the trinity / Godhead. It Does explain how it all works together.
abelcainsbrother
Ultimate Member

RickD wrote:
abelcainsbrother wrote:
RickD wrote:
ACB,

Then you don't know about evolution what it teaches and the evidence used to back it up then. If you did? It would click and you'd know I'm right based on what the evidence shows.

RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

abelcainsbrother wrote:
RickD wrote:
abelcainsbrother wrote:
RickD wrote:
ACB,

Then you don't know about evolution what it teaches and the evidence used to back it up then. If you did? It would click and you'd know I'm right based on what the evidence shows.

-Edward R Murrow

crochet1949
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by crochet1949 »

RickD wrote:
abelcainsbrother wrote:
RickD wrote:
ACB,

Understanding evolution --- 'evolution' refers to the development Of. So -- how did the earth 'develop' ? Or Did it 'develop' -- 'develop' would indicate that something had a starting point and 'grew' / matured in some way. So -- what Caused the starting point to exist? This is meant to be rhetorical. And what about the beginning of people / animals.