Questions for Theistic Evolutionists

Discussion about scientific issues as they relate to God and Christianity including archaeology, origins of life, the universe, intelligent design, evolution, etc.
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Re: Questions for Theistic Evolutionists

Post by PaulSacramento »

If we don't think that Genesis 6 refers to divine beings, then what transgression of the Angels are Peter and Jude referring to?
2 Pt.2:4-5: “For if God spared not the angels that sinned, but cast them down to Tartarus, and delivered them into chains of darkness, to be reserved unto judgment; And spared not the old world, but saved Noah the eighth person, a preacher of righteousness, bringing in the flood upon the world of the ungodly.”

Jude 6-7: “And the angels which kept not their first estate, but left their own habitation, he hath reserved in everlasting chains under darkness unto the judgment of the great day. Even as Sodom and Gomorrah, and the cities about them in like manner, giving themselves over to fornication, and going after strange flesh, are set forth for an example, suffering the vengeance of eternal fire.”
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

PaulS wrote:

So the sons of seth are who the writers of Job and Deuteronomy and Psalms are referring too?
I don't think so and the only issue people have with the Sons of God being divine beings in Genesis 6 is the supernatural element, which no bible believer should have issues with.
I'd have to reread the verses in Job, Deuteronomy, and Psalms. I'm not familiar with them off the top of my head.

If I recall correctly, Jac put up an argument against the fallen angels belief, on the basis that it's not natural for angels to have sex.

Nowhere in scripture is there anything that says angels have the power to create.

And my main argument against, was that fallen angels aren't called sons of God anywhere in scripture. At least not anywhere that I'm aware of.

I agree that besides people being called sons of God, angels are too. But not fallen angels.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

PaulSacramento wrote:If we don't think that Genesis 6 refers to divine beings, then what transgression of the Angels are Peter and Jude referring to?
2 Pt.2:4-5: “For if God spared not the angels that sinned, but cast them down to Tartarus, and delivered them into chains of darkness, to be reserved unto judgment; And spared not the old world, but saved Noah the eighth person, a preacher of righteousness, bringing in the flood upon the world of the ungodly.”

Jude 6-7: “And the angels which kept not their first estate, but left their own habitation, he hath reserved in everlasting chains under darkness unto the judgment of the great day. Even as Sodom and Gomorrah, and the cities about them in like manner, giving themselves over to fornication, and going after strange flesh, are set forth for an example, suffering the vengeance of eternal fire.”
I think it's referring to the sin that got Satan expelled from heaven.
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

-Edward R Murrow

Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

I'll say one thing about those rejecting God - at least for those fallen angels - KNOWLEDGE of God, His beauty, His love - wow, incredibly, it just wasn't enough. But I guess it's all, to that point, that they had ever known or experienced. And to rebel - how deluded could they have been? To think that they must have believed they might be able to succeed?
Audie
Ultimate Member
Christian: No
Sex: Female
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Post by Audie »

Philip wrote:I'll say one thing about those rejecting God - at least for those fallen angels - KNOWLEDGE of God, His beauty, His love - wow, incredibly, it just wasn't enough. But I guess it's all, to that point, that they had ever known or experienced. And to rebel - how deluded could they have been? To think that they must have believed they might be able to succeed?

Yeah , as a kid I read how the hebrews had this thing for golden calfs. Like they
weren't warned.

Next thing you know, they are at it again.

I'm saying nonono, dont, DO it!!

But... They make a golden calf

I mean, who does that anyway?

DUMB!
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Audie wrote:
Philip wrote:I'll say one thing about those rejecting God - at least for those fallen angels - KNOWLEDGE of God, His beauty, His love - wow, incredibly, it just wasn't enough. But I guess it's all, to that point, that they had ever known or experienced. And to rebel - how deluded could they have been? To think that they must have believed they might be able to succeed?

Yeah , as a kid I read how the hebrews had this thing for golden calfs. Like they
weren't warned.

DUMB!
Audie,

What's your golden calf?

-Edward R Murrow

Nessa
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by Nessa »

Audie wrote:

weren't warned.

DUMB!
I think it can be easy - too easy - to judge the israelites as dumb.

Say you were a Christian and you read the whole bible...

How good do you think you would be at not doing what God says not to do?

If you were anything like the rest of us Christians, then maybe not so good ;)
Audie
Ultimate Member

Post by Audie »

But a golden calf?
Audie
Ultimate Member

Post by Audie »

RickD wrote:
Audie wrote:

weren't warned.

DUMB!
Audie,

What's your golden calf?
Chanel
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Audie wrote:
RickD wrote:
Audie wrote:

weren't warned.

DUMB!
Audie,

What's your golden calf?
Chanel
Number 5?

-Edward R Murrow

Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

But a golden calf?
The ancient world universally worshiped objects made with their own hands - how deluded, that a god you made with your own hands has power (Romans 1:23 references this). But make no mistake, the Israelites were not unique in this. However, they had seen the power of God, trembled at it, saw Him lay utter waste to Egypt in miracle after miracle, and yet, how long was Moses out of camp before they were up to pagan practices, once again? In fact, the surrounding polytheistic peoples laughed at Israel, as did the Egyptians: "You mean, Israel has only ONE God???!!! Hahahahahahaha!!!" Except after that One God got through with their gods and land, they weren't laughing too much - to the point that many non-Israelites left with them in the Exodus from Egypt. As for idols then and now, the only difference is, today's idols that people are obsessed with, while they don't consider them to be gods, their idols nonetheless control them with so much of their time, efforts and money devoted to them - just like...a god.
Audie
Ultimate Member

Post by Audie »

RickD wrote:
Audie wrote:
RickD wrote:
Audie wrote:

weren't warned.

DUMB!
Audie,

What's your golden calf?
Chanel
Number 5?
I got a pair of their leather platform sandals the other day. Yeah yeah, "short people" jokes.
Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

Audie: I got a pair of their leather platform sandals the other day. Yeah yeah, "short people" jokes.
So, you're really coming UP in the world, eh?

Hey, since you're elevating your game, so to speak, here's a great idea for the vertically challenged! :D

So, ya got the elevator shoes, the high-rise hair - you could easily get to 5 foot 8 or so! Plus people would think you were very smart (no, not that you're Asian, silly :roll:) they'd also think you have a BIG brain under the mane!

Sexy, right?
hughfarey
Advanced Senior Member
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by hughfarey »

Audie wrote:I got a pair of their leather platform sandals the other day. Yeah yeah, "short people" jokes.
Almost as funny as Huge Fairy jokes, wouldn't you say?
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

hughfarey wrote:
Audie wrote:I got a pair of their leather platform sandals the other day. Yeah yeah, "short people" jokes.
Almost as funny as Huge Fairy jokes, wouldn't you say?
Almost, Mr. Fairy. ;) :poke:

http://youtu.be/uFmv22ghzQw

-Edward R Murrow