Bloody Bride Groom.

Discussions about the Bible, and any issues raised by Scripture.
1over137
Technical Admin
Christian: Yes
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided

Re: Bloody Bride Groom.

Post by 1over137 »

I just came across Isaiah 1 ESV
10 Hear the word of the Lord,
you rulers of Sodom!
Give ear to the teaching of our God,
you people of Gomorrah!
11 “What to me is the multitude of your sacrifices?
says the Lord;
I have had enough of burnt offerings of rams
and the fat of well-fed beasts;
I do not delight in the blood of bulls,
or of lambs, or of goats.
12 “When you come to appear before me,
who has required of you
this trampling of my courts?
13 Bring no more vain offerings;
incense is an abomination to me.
New moon and Sabbath and the calling of convocations—
I cannot endure iniquity and solemn assembly.
14 Your new moons and your appointed feasts
my soul hates;
they have become a burden to me;
I am weary of bearing them.
15 When you spread out your hands,
I will hide my eyes from you;
even though you make many prayers,
I will not listen;
your hands are full of blood.
16 Wash yourselves; make yourselves clean;
remove the evil of your deeds from before my eyes;
cease to do evil,
17 learn to do good;
seek justice,
correct oppression;
bring justice to the fatherless,
plead the widow's cause.
But examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
-- 1 Thessalonians 5:21

For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.
-- Philippians 1:6

#foreverinmyheart
Jac3510
Ultimate Member
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by Jac3510 »

Love that passage, Hana. It's one I preach pretty regularly. :)
Proinsias wrote:I don't think you are hearing me. Preference for ice cream is a moral issue
And that, brothers and sisters, is the kind of foolishness you get people who insist on denying biblical theism. A good illustration of any as the length people will go to avoid acknowledging basic truths.
Gman
Old School
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by Gman »

RickD wrote: Gman,
Those verses don't say anything about Paul sacrificing animals. You just read your beliefs into those verses.
Let's take Acts 21:26 first. Here's the context:
15 After these days we got ready and started on our way up to Jerusalem. 16 Some of the disciples from Caesarea also came with us, taking us to Mnason of Cyprus, a disciple of long standing with whom we were to lodge.

17 After we arrived in Jerusalem, the brethren received us gladly. 18 And the following day Paul went in with us to [c]James, and all the elders were present. 19 After he had greeted them, he began to relate one by one the things which God had done among the Gentiles through his ministry. 20 And when they heard it they began glorifying God; and they said to him, “You see, brother, how many [d]thousands there are among the Jews of those who have believed, and they are all zealous for the Law; 21 and they have been told about you, that you are teaching all the Jews who are among the Gentiles to forsake Moses, telling them not to circumcise their children nor to [e]walk according to the customs. 22 What, then, is to be done? They will certainly hear that you have come. 23 Therefore do this that we tell you. We have four men who [f]are under a vow; 24 take them and purify yourself along with them, and [g]pay their expenses so that they may shave their [h]heads; and all will know that there is nothing to the things which they have been told about you, but that you yourself also walk orderly, keeping the Law. 25 But concerning the Gentiles who have believed, we wrote, having decided that they should abstain from meat sacrificed to idols and from blood and from what is strangled and from fornication.” 26 Then Paul [j]took the men, and the next day, purifying himself along with them, went into the temple giving notice of the completion of the days of purification, until the sacrifice was offered for each one of them.

Paul took the four men to the temple to fulfill their vows. It doesn't say Paul sacrificed animals.

Unfortunately your claim is not true. Speaking of context.. Acts 21:26 clearly states: "Then Paul took the men, and the next day, purifying himself along with them, went into the temple giving notice of the completion of the days of purification, until the sacrifice was offered for each one of them." And he was doing this according to the Nazirite vow found in Acts 18:18. This vow is found in Numbers 6:13-21 and most certainly involves animal sacrifice. So Paul clearly went with these four men to fulfill this vow.

Again in Acts 21:24 it clearly states, "take them and purify yourself along with them, and pay their expenses so that they may shave their heads; and all will know that there is nothing to the things which they have been told about you, but that you yourself also walk orderly, keeping the Law."

As you will notice part of the Nazirite vow is to shave your head in accordance to Numbers 6:18. Why did Paul do this? As it clearly states, "and all will know that there is nothing to the things which they have been told about you, but that you yourself also walk orderly, keeping the Law." Paul was simply keeping the laws as commanded, but he was probably doing this sacrifice as a "memorial" to Christ not as a sin sacrifice.

RickD wrote:Of course not. Context is key here. If you are going to claim you or anyone else should obey the Sabbath because it's God's command which is never wrong, then you must stone homosexual offenders too. God commanded them to be stoned, right? And God's commands are never wrong, correct?

Again we have been over this many many times. Christ saved us from the PENALTY of the Law Romans 5:6-10, Galatians 3:13 but many of the commandments are still in effect. So no stoning... Also stoning does not apply outside the land or without the Sanhedrin's approval Deuteronomy 16:18-20, Deuteronomy 17:2, 8-13. Many of the other commandments are also not in effect because there is no temple.

This is when you see Christ's grace when you see the penalties or stoning that He takes FOR us. But that doesn't mean that you keep on sinning either otherwise we crucify Christ over and over again with our penalties Hebrews 6:6.

RickD wrote:Yes. The OT sacrifices pointed forward to Christ, the ultimate sacrifice. Now that Christ has come, what is the point of still performing animal sacrifices?

And of course the proper context of OT sacrifices, is that they're done away with because of Christ's sacrifice. Which means that we as believers should not perform animal sacrifices anymore.

It would appear to be a memorial to Christ but not an actual "sin" sacrifice. And it appears that in the future these sacrifices are coming back Ezekiel 43:18-46; Mal 1:11; 3:3-4. But actually every time you bite into a hamburger you are already eating a dead animal that was killed for you. So in a sense that animals life was sacrificed for you and then you have the option of thanking God for it.

Gman wrote:
Again, be very careful with your words amigo.. The Bible records for us believers who were still honoring the Sabbath some 30 years after the death of Christ including the Apostle Paul.

Acts 13:13-14 From Paphos, Paul and his companions sailed to Perga in Pamphylia, where John left them to return to Jerusalem. 14 From Perga they went on to Pisidian Antioch. On the Sabbath they entered the synagogue and sat down.

Acts 13:42-44 As Paul and Barnabas were leaving the synagogue, the people invited them to speak further about these things on the next Sabbath. 43 When the congregation was dismissed, many of the Jews and devout converts to Judaism followed Paul and Barnabas, who talked with them and urged them to continue in the grace of God.

44 On the next Sabbath almost the whole city gathered to hear the word of the Lord.

Acts 15:21 For the law of Moses has been preached in every city from the earliest times and is read in the synagogues on every Sabbath.

Acts 16:13 On the Sabbath we went outside the city gate to the river, where we expected to find a place of prayer. We sat down and began to speak to the women who had gathered there.

Acts 17:2 As was his custom, Paul went into the synagogue, and on three Sabbath days he reasoned with them from the Scriptures,

Acts 18:4 Every Sabbath he reasoned in the synagogue, trying to persuade Jews and Greeks.

RickD wrote:Gman,

None of those verses show Paul was observing the sabbath. You are reading your beliefs into the text again. Those verses simply show that Paul and others went to the synagogues on the Sabbath, to preach the gospel. If someone wants to preach the gospel to as many Jews as possible, wouldn't the best place and time be at the synagogue on the Sabbath, where there are a lot of Jews to preach to?

No... Those verses clearly show that Paul honored the Sabbath and attended the services. Where in those verses did Paul ever teach against the sabbath?

Also Christ obeyed the sabbath also...

Luke 4:16 He (Christ) went to Nazareth, where he had been brought up, and on the Sabbath day he went into the synagogue, as was his custom. He stood up to read,

RickD wrote:Gman,

Context is key. Isaiah wasn't written to gentile believers. Isaiah ministered and wrote to the people of Jerusalem and Judah. So, those verses in Isaiah were written to Jews, not to gentile believers.

You are making a great effort to read your theology into scripture to try to back up your belief that gentile believers should follow the OT law.

G-d made the covenants only between the house of Israel and the house of Judah (Jeremiah 31:31-32, Hebrews 8:6-13). Where is the house of the gentiles?

Now study your Bible again or ice cream privileges will be revoked. y[-( ;)
Last edited by Gman on Tue Jun 10, 2014 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The heart cannot rejoice in what the mind rejects as false - Galileo

We learn from history that we do not learn from history - Georg Friedrich Wilhelm Hegel

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable, if anything is excellent or praiseworthy, think about such things. -Philippians 4:8
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Post by B. W. »

Gman wrote:G-d made the covenants only between the house of Israel and the house of Judah (Jeremiah 31:31-32, Hebrews 8:6-13). Where is the house of the gentiles?
Well I found this for you Gman

http://gentilesrestaurant.com/

Closest thing I could find - (House of)

Gentiles Restaurant
313 N. Geddes St.
Syracuse, NY 13204

Does this count?
-
-
-
:lol:
Science is man's invention - creation is God's
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Not my Circus....not my monkeys
Gman
Old School
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by Gman »

B. W. wrote:
Gman wrote:G-d made the covenants only between the house of Israel and the house of Judah (Jeremiah 31:31-32, Hebrews 8:6-13). Where is the house of the gentiles?
Well I found this for you Gman

http://gentilesrestaurant.com/

Closest thing I could find - (House of)

Gentiles Restaurant
313 N. Geddes St.
Syracuse, NY 13204

Does this count?
-
-
-
:lol:
What can I say? You got me... :P :lol:
The heart cannot rejoice in what the mind rejects as false - Galileo

We learn from history that we do not learn from history - Georg Friedrich Wilhelm Hegel

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable, if anything is excellent or praiseworthy, think about such things. -Philippians 4:8