The age of the earth

Discussion about scientific issues as they relate to God and Christianity including archaeology, origins of life, the universe, intelligent design, evolution, etc.
FFC
Prestigious Senior Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by FFC »

Right, but the point is that the 7th day, if we are to enter God's rest, must still be going on, however long it has been since the conclusion of the 6th day. That would make it rather longer than 24 hours?
I agree, August, the spiritual rest has always been there, but the physical rest (although I'm not sure why God needs to rest, except to presume that "that rest" meant stopping from His work)after creation could just be one literal day, right? Obviously God has been working in in our lives and our universe since He finished creation. I guess I'm not quite following your logic. It's not you It's me. :wink:
"Faith sees the invisible, believes the unbelievable, and receives the impossible." - Corrie Ten Boom

Act 9:6
And he trembling and astonished said, Lord, what wilt thou have me to do?
August
Old School
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by August »

FFC wrote:
Right, but the point is that the 7th day, if we are to enter God's rest, must still be going on, however long it has been since the conclusion of the 6th day. That would make it rather longer than 24 hours?
I agree, August, the spiritual rest has always been there, but the physical rest (although I'm not sure why God needs to rest, except to presume that "that rest" meant stopping from His work)after creation could just be one literal day, right? Obviously God has been working in in our lives and our universe since He finished creation. I guess I'm not quite following your logic. It's not you It's me. :wink:
Ok, let's try to follow through it a bit. I don't think God needs to "rest", in the same sense that we do. I would equate that rest with a sense of accomplishment and a state of satisfaction for a job well done, hence the fact that God saw His creation was good. That kind of rest can very well apply to us in the eternal hereafter, we have been justified and sanctified, have run the good race and can now "rest" with the knowledge that we have achieved what God intended us to.

I think your dilemma is then still that if you assume that God rested "physically" only for one literal day after creation, does that mean He is still creating? That clearly is not what Scripture states though, there is no mention of creation after the 6th day. I would therefore argue that God is still resting, regardless of whether it is a spiritual or physical rest. Also, part of creation was spiritual, where man received a soul.

The conclusion, as I see it, is still that you cannot interpret the "days" in Genesis 1 as literal days, and still be consistent with the fact that God is still in His state of rest today, where we shall join Him.
Acts 17:24-25 (NIV)
"The God who made the world and everything in it is the Lord of heaven and earth and does not live in temples built by hands. [25] And he is not served by human hands, as if he needed anything, because he himself gives all men life and breath and everything else."

//www.omnipotentgrace.org
//christianskepticism.blogspot.com
Byblos
Old School

Post by Byblos »

FFC wrote:
I think what August is driving at is that if the 7th day is not a literal day then why must we assume the first 6 days were? It's either they all were or they weren't. If the 7th day is still not over, what does that say about the rest of the days?
Let us proclaim the mystery of our faith: Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again.

Lord I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.
August
Old School
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by August »

Byblos wrote:
FFC wrote:
I think what August is driving at is that if the 7th day is not a literal day then why must we assume the first 6 days were? It's either they all were or they weren't. If the 7th day is still not over, what does that say about the rest of the days?
Right, and to support the fact that the other days were probably not literal days either, we have to account for all the activities that had to take place on the 6th day, for example. Creation of all the animals, creation of man, the observation and naming of all the created animals, the search for a helper for Adam among them, the creation of the helper, the healing of the flesh that the material for making the helper was taken from and the joining of Adam and Eve. That is quite a bit of work for a 12 hour day, especially the observation and naming of all the thousands of species.
Acts 17:24-25 (NIV)
"The God who made the world and everything in it is the Lord of heaven and earth and does not live in temples built by hands. [25] And he is not served by human hands, as if he needed anything, because he himself gives all men life and breath and everything else."

//www.omnipotentgrace.org
//christianskepticism.blogspot.com
Jbuza
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Jbuza »

gone
Last edited by Jbuza on Tue Aug 08, 2006 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FFC
Prestigious Senior Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by FFC »

August wrote:
Byblos wrote:
FFC wrote:
Right, and to support the fact that the other days were probably not literal days either, we have to account for all the activities that had to take place on the 6th day, for example. Creation of all the animals, creation of man, the observation and naming of all the created animals, the search for a helper for Adam among them, the creation of the helper, the healing of the flesh that the material for making the helper was taken from and the joining of Adam and Eve. That is quite a bit of work for a 12 hour day, especially the observation and naming of all the thousands of species.
Ok, I see where you are coming from, but I could argue this:

1. there are two rests:
A. The literal rest on the 7th day when creation was completed. This rest could be a picture of the 2nd one...
B. The rest that we find in Christ by faith when we believe in Him for salvation.

2. There would certainly be a lot of work to be done on the 6th day for anyone other than an omnipotent God. However, you bring up a good point about Adam naming the animals. That would certainly take some time for him. On the other hand I've been told that Adam was created with a highly functioning brain and was walking in perfect fellowship with God at the time. think how much you could accomplish with that in your favor. :wink:

Having said that, please know that my mind is not made up either way. I'm just trying to learn where you are coming from and let you know where I am right now. I do appreciate the time you have taken with me.

Thanks!
"Faith sees the invisible, believes the unbelievable, and receives the impossible." - Corrie Ten Boom

Act 9:6
And he trembling and astonished said, Lord, what wilt thou have me to do?
BGoodForGoodSake
Ultimate Member
Christian: No

Post by BGoodForGoodSake »

Jbuza wrote:
No, lava deposits will erode, they cannot accumulate because exposed deposits would erode away. Don't you think? . . . . But I am sure you'll admit that even mighty lava flows can and do erode.
Lava deposits certainly do accumulate, and they certainly do erode. Many Island chains demonstrate that Lava accumulates.
Your position was that if the Earth were much older that there would be far more lava deposits. It would seem that erosion counteracts the formation of lava flows thus a resultant rough equilibrium, would you disagree? So there is no reason to assume an older earth would be covered by lava.

You don't notice how absurd your argument is when in one sentence you propose an old Earth would be covered in lava and in another it would be covered in topsoil? Obviously your focusing only one one aspect of geological processes.
Jbuza wrote:
You keep saying that things don't occur at constant rates yet you keep using constant rates to try to disprove the other side, strange indeed.
I am not trying to prove or disprove anything, I simply suggested that given the huge factor of difference between the two models with respect to time perhaps we might expect to find some observable differences between the two models. I proposed some possible indicators. I keep saying that there is no a priori reason to assume things occur at constant rate.
No one is assuming that processes occur at a constant rate. The only thing assumed is that the physics of the past is the same as today. Ever look at a the theory explaining the formation of the Hawaiin islands? It does not propose uniform lava flow. Your posible indicators are all false.
Jbuza wrote:I guess you feel it is a flaw to think that there would by observable differences in a 10,000 year old earth and a 4,700,000,000 year old one.
No, however the proposals you brought up are flawed. Which is why I went through each example.

Many of your arguments for what an old earth should show were of your own flawed understanding. They were not based on what scientist have actually concluded. You haven't brought up realistic posibilities. Such as a young earth would probably contain naturally occuring technetium.
Jbuza wrote:
You really think trees grow continuously in one area for 4 billion years. And how come angiosperms don't occur until the Cretaceous. Did the flood cause oaks and other flowering trees to only be buried with certain animals? What kind of flood was this? Are you really thinking this through? The sahara desert was not always a desert, it was once a tropical jungle. Why are you making rediculous assumptions? Climates change, think ice ages, or do you have an alternate explanation for mammoths frozen in ice and dinosaurs in the frozen antarctic?
I guess you are not really interested in the original premise of the thread, but want to put me on the defense arguing all kinds of things of your choosing. Fine.
I'm sorry?!? You stated that if trees grew continuously in one place for 4 billion years we should expect a difference.
Jbuza wrote:Perhaps there would be a difference apparent in the crust of the earth indicating whether there truly has been 4,000,000,000 years of trees growing
Do you remember saying that?
This would assume constant weather, and science stating that trees existed for 4 billion years among a whole host of issues which I brought up above. They certainly do relate to your statement, read your quote and my responce again. A 4 billion year uninterupted growth assumes constant weather, thus the Sahara comment. Again your proposals are assuming outlandish scenarios.
Jbuza wrote:...no I am not thinking it through, but responding to what you are trying to make my argument into. One that I never proposed here. I never made any claims or assumptions about the Sahara always being a desert. IT seems to me that you are making ridiculous statements about arguments I am not posing.
No empirical support? Are you really examining the evidence? Here's a simple example. Lets take Lake Suigetsu as an example. Every spring single celled algae bloom in the lake and settle down creating a thin white layer. The rest of the year sediments are dark. This results in black and white bands of sediment. Each layer of algae deposits is relatively alike in thickness measuring 1.2 mm each. 45,000 paired layers have been counted. What is your explanation?
The white layers are not only the result of algea, but from pollen and large particles that wash into the lake or are turned up from the shore during storms.
Then why the uniform thicknesses? And why don't storms and pollen create layers today?
Jbuza wrote:The darker bands are from clays that suspend in the water longer. What is the evidence that shows that sedimentation only takes place twice a years in these layers? Demonstrate please sinking rates of pollen, algea, and clay. Alternating periods of calm dry weather, and heavy storms can introduce new particulate into the system many times in a single season.
Sure this experiment has been conducted. First we lay a bottle on the lake bed, then we wait several years, when we return we count the layers. You can conduct this experiment yourself. There is nothing new to this observation, in lakes throughout the world organic material tends to settle in greater quantities in the fall as lower temperatures cause a dieoff.
Jbuza wrote:AS to Hawaii.

There is evidence to suggest that the chain could have formed rapidly. “At the present rate it would take approximately 220,000 years to build the present volcano. However, evidence on the volcano indicate that it has not always produced flows at the present slow and relatively steady rate. Large and thick deposits of ash and pumice are present from older eruptions, reported in 1790 and again in 1924. Along the cliffs of the Hilina fault system are exposed 9 ash layers indicative of such eruptions, estimated to be thousands of years old (ref. http://geopubs.wr.usgs.gov/fact-sheet/fs132-98/).
Well of course there are period of higher activity, but that is not in dispute. Read your source more carefully, you can see that there are more details from which one can make analysis than the cursory ones you seem to have made. Note that several of the layers are dated to tens of thousands of years old.
At least nine layers of volcanic ash, the oldest of which are tens of thousands of years old, are exposed along cliffs in the Hilina fault system
From your source.
Jbuza wrote:Volcanic eruptions have been known to lay down 700 feet of ash in a single eruptions, and that within recorded history. There is no reason to assume a slow birth to the islands. Wishful thinking and narrative are the building blocks of scientific investigation. I am postulating differing hypothesis your wanting finished reports just isn't going to happen without more effort than I am willing to put into this conversation.
However the data collected on the hawaiin islands just don't show the pattern you proposed. That is that the earlier islands formed very quickly and then volcanic formation dies down towards the present. It shows a, from geological timescale, a gradual formation of the island along the chain.
Jbuza wrote:It would be exceedingly difficult to measure the erosion of the islands without knowing there original heights.
It is quite clear that the original island had to be at least cover the base of the seamounts which lie submerged just below the ocean. And if the mountains formed at the same time one would expect coral growth and other organic deposits to be uniform if not at least random. What we do see is a progressive increase of this as we go further from the hotspot.
Jbuza wrote:IT is impossible to determine the amount of substance removed from the islands without first knowing the original amount of substance.
Again the seamounts are still there for one to estimate the original size of the island.
Jbuza wrote:But you can certainly claim it to try and lend evidence to your hypothesis. Lots of empty claims, are you sore that I don't make more empty claims, so that you can feel good about the ones from your theory?
We can look at the different types of volcanic material which make up the island. Analysis of the different types of rocks allows one to estimate the original size of the island. See here Stages of eruption.

Sorry that is all the time I have right now. I have not addressed the argon-argon issue. Suffice it to say that I don't believe it to be uniform throughout the earth.[/quote]Then why the inverse relationship between distance from Hawaii and apparent date, do you have an explanation for this?
It is not length of life, but depth of life. -- Ralph Waldo Emerson
Jbuza
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Jbuza »

gone
Last edited by Jbuza on Tue Aug 08, 2006 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BGoodForGoodSake
Ultimate Member

Jbuza wrote:How about we take one thing at a time.

You seem to be interested in the Hawaiian Islands, so perhaps we could just start with this one thing, I up to this point have really just tried to claim that the two models are vastley different, and that there should be some huge differences in a YE and an OE. That's pretty much it.

Perhaps you could state your point about the Hawaiian Islands. What is your point with respect to how they might appear had they formed rapidly in the past 10,000 years as opposed to slow formation over millions of years? OR vice versa.

Perhaps you could choose the most interesting aspect of the ISland chain and we could examine it from both models together. I have little desire to confront 10 or 12 claims within a single post, especially when there has been no clear demonstration of the evidence. By and large in this thread I have seen conclusions. I don't care about conclusions, I can make my own.

You have mentioned a couple times about varying degrees of erosion throughout the ISland chain, perhaps we could examine that.

How can we demonstrate that their is significant differences of erosion and that it is linear throughout that chain?

Been searching havbe found little evidence and a host of claims.

Thought this was somewhat interesting.
//www.asa3.org/archive/ASA/200310/0133.html
Ok lets catalog a list of observations.

:arrow: The seafloor is moving westward at an average of 8cm per year currently.

:arrow: The Seamounts, Darwins Points and Atolls show evidence of erosion as shown by the exposure of the different layers of volcanic rock.

:arrow: These Atolls, Seamounts and Islands form a single line all thw way to Kamchatka located on the eastern coast of Asia.

:arrow: On the islands which are currently active we can see these layers intact.
USGS

:arrow: Signs of erosion increase as we head westward.
GEOLOGY OF THE HAWAIIAN ISLANDS
Stearns, Harold T

:arrow: Formations show greater subsistence (sinkage) as we head away from the hotspot. We measure this by finding coral growth and finding it's distance to the water level. Western islands have deeper limestone deposits.

:arrow: Only the eastern most islands in the chain have active volcanoes.

:arrow: The K-Ar ratio shows decreasing levels of Potassium inversely proportional to the distance from the Hawaiin hotspot.

Do you have an issue with any of these?
If so please state your case and we will continue from there.

For the time being, here's a graph plotting the age of the islands obtained through K-Ar dating against the distance from the hotspot.

It's a straight line.
Jbuza
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Jbuza »

gone
Last edited by Jbuza on Tue Aug 08, 2006 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jbuza
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Jbuza »

gone
Last edited by Jbuza on Tue Aug 08, 2006 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BGoodForGoodSake
Ultimate Member

Jbuza wrote:IT is easy to get a strait line when all the outliers are discarded. There are known problems with the potassium argon "clock"
Nothing was discarded
Jbuza wrote:1) The range of this method is sometimes greatly exagerated by claimingmeaningful dates as young as 50,000 years. This is only .004% of the half-life. Contrast this to a minimal 3% (39 million years) expected error in experimental analysis.
This doesn't apply in this case. Use your head Jbuza, don't just post other peoples thoughts.
Jbuza wrote:2) The argon - calcium branching percentage is uncertain. The observed split is between 11 and 12.6% argon, but a value of 8% has been assumed in dating applications to correlate with uranium dates. This discrepency is often attributed to argon gas leakage.
If we applied the same for every sample then what is the problem?
Jbuza wrote:3) Argon diffuses from mineral to mineral with great ease, diffusing from deep down into the earth's crust towards the surface and eventually into the atmosphere. This has to confuse the dating process, such as surface rocks accumulating argon and appearing older.
Hmm are you saying that the leakage of Argon just happens to create an illusion of linear increase in age as we sample farther west?
Jbuza wrote:4) Many rocks inherit argon-40 from the parent magma. For instance, Kilauea volcano, off the island of Hawaii, dates lava eruptions from less than 200 years ago to be 22 million years old. Note: This criticism is also applied to ages associated with sea-floor spreading.
This is rather ingenius, obviously the scientists don't use these special cases to do the dating.
Jbuza wrote:5) Potassium is found to be very mobile under leaching conditions. (Running distilled water over an iron meteorite for 4 and 1/2 hours removed 80% of the potassium.) This also increases the apparent age.
So the increase in apparent age as we head westward is a result of this process?

So let me ask you Jbuza why is the data so linear if all of this background noise, water filtration, and leakage should have scrambled any meaningful data?

Also what about all the other observations, do you have no problems with them?

:arrow: The seafloor is moving westward at an average of 8cm per year currently.

:arrow: The Seamounts, Darwins Points and Atolls show evidence of erosion as shown by the exposure of the different layers of volcanic rock.

:arrow: These Atolls, Seamounts and Islands form a single line all thw way to Kamchatka located on the eastern coast of Asia.

:arrow: On the islands which are currently active we can see these layers intact.
USGS

:arrow: Signs of erosion increase as we head westward.
GEOLOGY OF THE HAWAIIAN ISLANDS
Stearns, Harold T

:arrow: Formations show greater subsistence (sinkage) as we head away from the hotspot. We measure this by finding coral growth and finding it's distance to the water level. Western islands have deeper limestone deposits.

:arrow: Only the eastern most islands in the chain have active volcanoes.

:arrow: The K-Ar ratio shows decreasing levels of Potassium inversely proportional to the distance from the Hawaiin hotspot.
TABLED
Due to Jbuza's belief that random leakages, water filtration, and solar radiation have lead to an apparent but illusory linear relationship between isotopic ratios and distance to the hotspot.
Jbuza
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Jbuza »

gone
Last edited by Jbuza on Tue Aug 08, 2006 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Canuckster1127
Old School
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by Canuckster1127 »

Jbuza wrote:There is no linear realtionship, but I give you full points for the pretty chart, did you use your head, or just take it from someone else? When 200 year old lave flows show an age in the millions of years that is a pretty substantial outlier.

Thanks for being so kind.

Also you need to show the original size of the islands in the chain and erosion rates if you want to be able to use that to age the islands.

What other factors may have been involved during the time when these islands were being born. Evidnce clearly shows that volcanism has decreased and indicates there could have been a period in history when volcanism was happening at a much much higher rate.

Also it has been proposed that this island chain may have been in the process of forming during and after the flood. This could account for varying degrees of erosion.
Jbuza,

I have yet to see any material from you dealing with the technical side of this that isn't cut and pasted from someone else.

I suspect Bgood is dealing with your material rather more directly than you are with his.

I suspect that is because Bgood has a far greater understanding of this material than you do. That doesn't necessarily make him right, but it does say something that in that context, he is the one being kind and patient and systematically demonstrating the evidence and what it means.

Is the problem that the article you posted doesn't directly address his points and you can't without someone else's expertise?

That's fine if that is the case. I frankly don't have the same level of technical expertise in this area the Bgood is demonstrating and there are many elements of my understanding that I base upon other's explanations and training.

I would just think there would be some level of humility or courtesy in that context without some of the tone that I'm seeing here.

In the same sentence you use the word "evidence" in relationship to the decrease of vulcanism and then immediately follow it up with a contingency phrase of "could."

Evidence equates with "did", not simply offering alternatives and then not presenting the evidence itself.

Who has proposed the Hawaiin Islands forming as a result of the flood? Obviously they are volcanic. The flood if understood in terms of the popular young earth position was 4,000 years ago. What accounts for the activity since then? Someone suggesting that something "could" is not particularly convincing, particularly when there is not some corresponding material to show "how" it "could."

I think Bgood is being very polite and addressing your questions and points, which are primarily drawn from an article you've posted of someone elses material. Do you have the expertise and understanding of what you are posting to even deal with what Bgood is telling you?

Is this about understanding what is being proposed or is it simply contrarianism that seeks to obfuscate that which you have disagreed with before hand?

You claim old earth positions do this, and perhaps there are cases of that. However, I see far more demonstrated awareness and demonstrated understanding of the data and the means of correlation coming from Bgood, and frankly, a lot more respect in terms of simple civility coming from Bgood than I do from you.

Why is that?

Bart
Dogmatism is the comfortable intellectual framework of self-righteousness. Self-righteousness is more decadent than the worst sexual sin. ~ Dan Allender
Jbuza
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Jbuza »

gone
Last edited by Jbuza on Tue Aug 08, 2006 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.