The Sabbath

Discussions on a ranges of philosophical issues including the nature of truth and reality, personal identity, mind-body theories, epistemology, justification of beliefs, argumentation and logic, philosophy of religion, free will and determinism, etc.
Jbuza
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Jbuza »

gone
Last edited by Jbuza on Tue Aug 08, 2006 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
R7-12
Established Member

Post by R7-12 »

Jbuza

I asked,
So now I would ask, how is this forgiveness you seek possible? In other words, how is it when you or I repent that we can be forgiven for sins which, when committed, put us in debt according to the law?
How is our debt to the law incurred by sin, paid?
Your response,
I thought this was where we would be heading.
Yes, It seems evident to me that's why you're trying to get around the question the long way. It's not a complicated question, perhaps you just didn't understand it.

The answer is, Christ's sacrifice - his shed blood pays our debt when we repent, making forgiveness possible.

Your answer was,
I believe that when I was guilty before the Law I had a different relationship with God.
Every time you break one of God's commandments in His law you have committed sin and are guilty before the law (1 John 3:4). This will separate you from God unless you repent.

but if you show partiality, you commit sin, and are convicted by the law as transgressors. 10 For whoever shall keep the whole law, and yet stumble in one point, he is guilty of all (James 2:9-10, NKJV).
I believe that I have been adopted and sin is anything that breaks my fellowship with God.
Those who walk as Abraham walked are sons by faith. Abraham believed God and was justified by his obedience to God (Rom. 4:12, James 2:21).

and if children, then heirs—heirs of God and joint heirs with Christ, if indeed we suffer with Him, that we may also be glorified together (Rom. 8:17, NKJV).

For you are all sons of God through faith in Christ Jesus. 27For as many of you as were baptized into Christ have put on Christ. 28There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither slave nor free, there is neither male nor female; for you are all one in Christ Jesus. 29And if you are Christ's, then you are Abraham's seed, and heirs according to the promise (Gal. 3:26-29, NKJV).

Only you can break your fellowship with God and that through sin (Rom. 8:35-39).
I believe that Jesus Christ will do what he said and present me clean and without blame before the law, but what I do against my father in heaven still has an impact on our relationship.

First, it is not before the law that one is presented clean but before God. You cannot be presented clean and blameless before God if there are sins for which you have not repented.

Therefore do not let sin reign in your mortal body, that you should obey it in its lusts. 13And do not present your members as instruments of unrighteousness to sin, but present yourselves to God as being alive from the dead, and your members as instruments of righteousness to God (Rom. 6:12-13, NKJV).
My flesh and the Sin in it that is under the law is dead, and will pass away.
One's sin is only dead as far as you have repented from it and turned from doing it. If you continue in sin, for example you don't want to keep the Sabbath, the seventh day of the week holy and separate from the other days as a day of worship and rest from all you labour and work, how can that sin be removed? It remains as long as you continue in it and are unrepentant.
My life is new and is spiritual, and God expects his sons to be righteous.
What is righteousness?
How does one “be righteous?”
I don't believe that we ask God to forgive us a debt to the law because Jesus already did that.
Christ has paid every debt you repent of.

For anyone who lacks these things is nearsighted and blind, and is forgetful of thecleansing of past sins (2 Peter 1:9, NRSV).

That's why we are to repent daily. The sins you commit today are not already forgiven, they have been paid for but that price remains owing if you don't repent of the sin.

Assuredly, I say to you, all sins will be forgiven the sons of men, and whatever blasphemies they may utter; (Mark 3:28, NKJV).

Judge not, and you shall not be judged. Condemn not, and you shall not be condemned. Forgive, and you will be forgiven (Luke 6:37, NKJV).

Anyone who speaks a word against the Son of Man, it will be forgiven him; but whoever speaks against the Holy Spirit, it will not be forgiven him, either in this age or in the age to come (Matt. 12:32, NKJV).

If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness (1 John 1:9, NKJV).
I know that we differ here, but I do not believe it is about the law, but about seeking a real and close relationship with a Holy God.
Most people have a view of the law that is askew. Look at it this way, God has rules of conduct that determine what is righteous living and what is sinful. If we wish to fellowship with God we must come to Him cleansed and holy. His rules tell us what is clean and what is holy and what is not. Therefore to seek a real and close relationship with a Holy God, we must become holy according to His rules — not our own.

The law is there for our benefit. It teaches us what we need to know about right living and what God requires of us as sons. It reveals to us what is sin and it shows how to love God and how to love our fellowman.
If I am begrudging my neighbor or some need I see, so that I can save up money for that new Browning A BOLT II .270 WSM that I want, I am resisting the Spirit and I am not doing what I know is good to do.
Right. That's called covetousness in the law. It is a fleshly desire. When we succumb to the pulls of the flesh like coveting something that is not ours, we place those carnal desires before the command to serve the one true God. In doing so, we break the first three and potentially all four precepts in the First and Great commandment.
This is going to effect my relationship with God, and I must go to him and seek a right relationship so that we have nothing between us.
Exactly. That right relationship is sought through prayer, repentance, correction, obedience and faith.

So do you agree that when we go to God in repentance and confess our sins, that our forgiveness is made possible by Christ's sacrifice, that is, through his shed blood which was given once for all, our debt to the law is paid upon repentance?

R7-12
Jbuza
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Jbuza »

gone
Last edited by Jbuza on Tue Aug 08, 2006 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
R7-12
Established Member

Post by R7-12 »

Jbuza,

I said,
The answer is, Christ's sacrifice - his shed blood pays our debt when we repent, making forgiveness possible.
Your response,
I do not agree with this. I believe that when I identify with Jesus' sacrifice, and have faith that he will present me before God guiltless before the Law because he said he would, that all of my sins will be forgiven. I do not believe that I must sacrifice Jesus every time I sin. Once was enough.
The issue is not sacrificing Christ every time one sins and I didn't say that's what happens. Christ's sacrifice is sufficient to cover all sin. However, it appears from your comments that you disagree with my statement where I said Christ's blood pays our debt when we repent. Is this right?

Also, please provide the Scripture(s) from where you get this idea,
I believe that when I identify with Jesus' sacrifice, and have faith that he will present me before God guiltless before the Law because he said he would, that all of my sins will be forgiven.
R7-12
Jbuza
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Jbuza »

gone
Last edited by Jbuza on Tue Aug 08, 2006 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
R7-12
Established Member

Post by R7-12 »

I said,
The issue is not sacrificing Christ every time one sins and I didn't say that's what happens. Christ's sacrifice is sufficient to cover all sin. However, it appears from your comments that you disagree with my statement where I said Christ's blood pays our debt when we repent. Is this right?
Your reply,
No that is not right I can agree that Christ's blood paid my debt when I repented of my sin and sacrificed the flesh with him. The problem is that you want to take it further than that. Jesus paid the debt, it is paid, the gift isn't provisional, in my opinion. The debt is paid, and the confession is to God.
Sorry John, I'm not certain I get what you mean here. What I think you're saying is that any future sins you commit are already forgiven because the debt for them has been paid so you don't have to repent. If this isn't what you're trying to say maybe you could explain further.

R7-12
Jbuza
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Jbuza »

gone
Last edited by Jbuza on Tue Aug 08, 2006 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
R7-12
Established Member

Post by R7-12 »

John,

I wrote,
What I think you're saying is that any future sins you commit are already forgiven because the debt has been paid for them so you don't have to repent.
Your reply,
That is what I mean as far as salvation goes.
The law of sin still requires one's life for having broken the law and that's why we ask to be forgiven by the blood of Christ so that we may be justified and receive life.

The Bible teaches that we are required to repent everytime we sin. To repent means to turn and walk the other way. When we err it is our responsibility to turn around. If we commit sin we confess to God and thus turn from our sin and walk the other way. We are to identify the sins we commit daily and confess them to God and ask to be forgiven.

A perfect sacrifice sufficient to pay for all the sins ever committed has been offered to God in Christ. When someone first comes to God in sincere repentance and confesses their sins to Him, they ask that Christ's blood be accepted on their behalf for payment for their transgressions.

The payment for the debt we incur for breaking the law has already been paid for by the blood of Christ's sacrifice, however, if we do not ask that we be forgiven in his blood when we commit sin, those sins will be accounted to us.

This same sacrifice covers our sins throughout our lives but we appeal to God in confession for forgiveness based on Christ's blood. Thus the blood of Christ has an ongoing application with respect to sin.

If we don't repent and turn from sin how can we be forgiven?

If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us. 9 If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. 10If we say that we have not sinned, we make Him a liar, and His word is not in us (1 John 1:8-10, NKJV).

Everyone will be judged according to their ways. If we sin we repent and turn from that way so that we will not continue in sin and perish.

Therefore I will judge you, O house of Israel, every one according to his ways,” says the Lord GOD. “Repent, and turn from all your transgressions, so that iniquity will not be your ruin (Eze. 18:30, NKJV).

… unless you repent you will all likewise perish (Luke 13:3, NKJV).

Everyone has sinned and will continue to make mistakes from time to time requiring forgiveness which follows repentance.

1 “To the angel of the church of Ephesus write, …
3 “and you have persevered and have patience, and have labored for My name's sake and have not become weary. 4 “Nevertheless I have this against you, that you have left your first love. 5 “Remember therefore from where you have fallen; repent and do the first works, or else I will come to you quickly and remove your lampstand from its place—unless you repent
(Rev. 2:1, 3-5,NKJV).

18 “And to the angel of the church in Thyatira write, …
21 “And I gave her time to repent of her sexual immorality, and she did not repent. 22 “Indeed I will cast her into a sickbed, and those who commit adultery with her into great tribulation, unless they repent of their deeds
(Rev. 2:18, 21-22, NKJV).

1 “And to the angel of the church in Sardis write, …
3 Remember therefore how you have received and heard; hold fast and repent. Therefore if you will not watch, I will come upon you as a thief, and you will not know what hour I will come upon you
(Rev. 3:1, 3, NKJV).

14 “And to the angel of the church of the Laodiceans write, …
19 As many as I love, I rebuke and chasten. Therefore be zealous and repent
(Rev. 3:14, 19, NKJV).

Not one of us is good. Only the one true God is good and the law emanates from His very nature. The commandments are essentially good.

So He said to him, “Why do you call Me good? No one is good but One, that is, God. But if you want to enter into life, keep the commandments.” (Matt. 19:17, NKJV).

When we submit to the law of God we come to understand its function and relevance and when we look at what it tells us we realize our sinful actions and are thus drawn to repentance for breaking the law of God.

Or do you despise the riches of His goodness, forbearance, and longsuffering, not knowing that the goodness of God leads you to repentance? (Rom. 2:4, NKJV).

Now I rejoice, not that you were made sorry, but that your sorrow led to repentance. For you were made sorry in a godly manner, that you might suffer loss from us in nothing. 10For godly sorrow produces repentance leading to salvation, not to be regretted; but the sorrow of the world produces death (2 Cor. 7:9-10, NKJV).

Those who practice lawbreaking and don't repent and turn will receive death because that is the judgment God renders to those who disobey Him according to His law. The judgment of God is according to truth and His law is truth.

who, knowing the righteous judgment of God, that those who practice such things are deserving of death, not only do the same but also approve of those who practice them (Rom. 1:32, NKJV). Therefore you are inexcusable, O man, whoever you are who judge, for in whatever you judge another you condemn yourself; for you who judge practice the same things. 2But we know that the judgment of God is according to truth against those who practice such things. 3And do you think this, O man, you who judge those practicing such things, and doing the same, that you will escape the judgment of God? 4Or do you despise the riches of His goodness, forbearance, and longsuffering, not knowing that the goodness of God leads you to repentance? (Romans 2:1-4, NKJV).

For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ, that each one may receive the things done in the body, according to what he has done, whether good or bad (2 Cor. 5:10, NKJV).

And will He not render to each man according to his deeds? (Prov. 24:12d).

who “will render to each one according to his deeds” : 7eternal life to those who by patient continuance in doing good seek for glory, honor, and immortality; 8but to those who are self-seeking and do not obey the truth, but obey unrighteousness—indignation and wrath, 9tribulation and anguish, on every soul of man who does evil, of the Jew first and also of the Greek; (Rom. 2:6-9, NKJV).

You said,
But if we continue in sin we will be punished, because what father who loves his son doesn't punish him for his wrong.
We will all be corrected — that's a fact. Our heavenly Father will discipline and correct His children. And yes, if we continue in sin we will suffer punishment. But again I ask, “What is sin?” - Sin is the transgression of the law (1 John 3:4). Therefore to stop continuing in sin we must begin to obey the law. That is the logical Biblical conclusion to the matter. If we continue sinning we also continue breaking the law. We stop sinning by keeping the law. Does this make sense?

“Not everyone who says to Me, 'Lord, Lord,' shall enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of My Father in heaven. 22“Many will say to Me in that day, 'Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in Your name, cast out demons in Your name, and done many wonders in Your name?' 23“And then I will declare to them, 'I never knew you; depart from Me, you who practice lawlessness! ' (Matt. 7:21-23, NKJV).

The Bible says breaking the law is unrighteousness (lawlessness) and keeping the law is righteousness.

You have loved righteousness and hated lawlessness; Therefore God, Your God, has anointed You With the oil of gladness more than Your companions.” (Heb. 1:9, NKJV).

Righteousness is doing what is right it is to be right. God's commandments show us how to do what is right.

'Then it will be righteousness for us, if we are careful to observe all these commandments before the LORD our God, as He has commanded us.' (Deut. 6:25, NKJV).

My tongue shall speak of Your word, For all Your commandments are righteousness (Matt. 119:172, NKJV).

Oh, that you had heeded My commandments! Then your peace would have been like a river, And your righteousness like the waves of the sea (Isaiah 48:18, NKJV).

Listen to Me, you who know righteousness, You people in whose heart is My law (Isaiah 51:7a, NKJV. Compare Jer. 31:31-33).

The Law of God is truth and we are all called to live by truth and worship God in spirit and in truth,

Your righteousness is an everlasting righteousness, And Your law is truth (Psalm 119:142, NKJV).

The Scriptures above demonstrate that the law and commandments of God are truth, they are righteousness, and we must obey God's law and commandments. They also show that when we break any one of the commandments in the law we must repent of our sin and turn our conduct around and walk in line with God's law.

If you disagree, I would hope that you illustrate why each text cited above does not mean what it says.

That's only reasonable isn't it?

R7-12
Jbuza
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Jbuza »

Acts

15:4 When they arrived in Jerusalem, they were received by the church and the apostles and the elders, and they reported all the things God had done with them. 15:5 But some from the religious party of the Pharisees who had believed stood up and said, “It is necessary to circumcise the Gentiles and to order them to observe the law of Moses.”
15:6 Both the apostles and the elders met together to deliberate about this matter. 15:7 After there had been much debate, Peter stood up and said to them, “Brothers, you know that some time ago God chose me to preach to the Gentiles so they would hear the message of the gospel and believe. 15:8 And God, who knows the heart, has testified to them by giving them the Holy Spirit just as he did to us, 15:9 and he made no distinction between them and us, cleansing their hearts by faith. 15:10 So now why are you putting God to the test by placing on the neck of the disciples a yoke that neither our ancestors nor we have been able to bear? 15:11 On the contrary, we believe that we are saved through the grace of the Lord Jesus, in the same way as they are.”
15:12 The whole group kept quiet and listened to Barnabas and Paul while they explained all the miraculous signs and wonders God had done among the Gentiles through them. 15:13 After they stopped speaking, James replied, “Brothers, listen to me. 15:14 Simeon has explained how God first concerned himself to select from among the Gentiles a people for his name. 15:15 The words of the prophets agree with this, as it is written,
15:16 'After this I will return,
and I will rebuild the fallen tent of David;
I will rebuild its ruins and restore it, 15:28 For it seemed best to the Holy Spirit and to us not to place any greater burden on you than these necessary rules: 15:29 that you abstain from meat that has been sacrificed to idols and from blood and from what has been strangled and from sexual immorality. If you keep yourselves from doing these things, you will do well.

15:17 so that the rest of humanity may seek the Lord,
namely, all the Gentiles I have called to be my own,' says the Lord, who makes these things 15:18 known from long ago.
15:19 “Therefore I conclude that we should not cause extra difficulty for those among the Gentiles who are turning to God, 15:20 but that we should write them a letter telling them to abstain from things defiled by idols and from sexual immorality and from what has been strangled and from blood.

Romans

3:19 Now we know that whatever the law says, it says to those who are under the law
4:13 For the promise to Abraham or to his descendants that he would inherit the world was not fulfilled through the law, but through the righteousness that comes by faith. 4:14 For if they become heirs by the law, faith is empty and the promise is nullified. 4:15 For the law brings wrath, because where there is no law there is no transgression either. 4:16 For this reason it is by faith so that it may be by grace, with the result that the promise may be certain to all the descendants — not only to those who are under the law, but also to those who have the faith of Abraham, who is the father of us all
7:4 So, my brothers and sisters, you also died to the law through the body of Christ, so that you could be joined to another, to the one who was raised from the dead, to bear fruit to God. 7:5 For when we were in the flesh, the sinful desires, aroused by the law, were active in the members of our body to bear fruit for death. 7:6 But now we have been released from the law, because we have died to what controlled us, so that we may serve in the new life of the Spirit and not under the old written code.
9:30 What shall we say then? — that the Gentiles who did not pursue righteousness obtained it, that is, a righteousness that is by faith, 9:31 but Israel even though pursuing a law of righteousness did not attain it. 9:32 Why not? Because they pursued it not by faith but (as if it were possible) by works. They stumbled over the stumbling stone, 9:33 just as it is written,
10:4 For Christ is the end of the law, with the result that there is righteousness for everyone who believes.
13:10 Love does no wrong to a neighbor. Therefore love is the fulfillment of the law.

1 Corinthians

1:20 Where is the wise man? Where is the expert in the Mosaic law? Where is the debater of this age? Has God not made the wisdom of the world foolish? 1:21 For since in the wisdom of God the world by its wisdom did not know God, God was pleased to save those who believe by the foolishness of preaching.
: To the Jews I became like a Jew to gain the Jews. To those under the law I became like one under the law (though I myself am not under the law) to gain those under the law. 9:21 To those free from the law I became like one free from the law (though I am not free from God's law but under the law of Christ) to gain those free from the law.
10:23 “Everything is lawful,” but not everything is beneficial. “Everything is lawful,” but not everything builds others up. 10:24 Do not seek your own good, but the good of the other person. 10:25 Eat anything that is sold in the marketplace without questions of conscience, 10:26 for the earth and its abundance are the Lord's. 10:27 If an unbeliever invites you to dinner and you want to go, eat whatever is served without asking questions of conscience.

Galatians

3:10 For all who rely on doing the works of the law are under a curse, because it is written, “Cursed is everyone who does not keep on doing everything written in the book of the law.” 3:11 Now it is clear no one is justified before God by the law, because the righteous one will live by faith. 3:12 But the law is not based on faith, but the one who does the works of the law will live by them. 3:13 Christ redeemed us from the curse of the law by becoming a curse for us

3:19 Why then was the law given? It was added because of transgressions, until the arrival of the descendant to whom the promise had been made. It was administered through angels by an intermediary. 3:20 Now an intermediary is not for one party alone, but God is one. 3:21 Is the law therefore opposed to the promises of God? Absolutely not! For if a law had been given that was able to give life, then righteousness would certainly have come by the law. 3:22 But the scripture imprisoned everything and everyone under sin so that the promise could be given — because of the faithfulness of Jesus Christ — to those who believe. 3:23 Now before faith came we were held in custody under the law, being kept as prisoners until the coming faith would be revealed. 3:24 Thus the law had become our guardian until Christ, so that we could be declared righteous by faith. 3:25 But now that faith has come, we are no longer under a guardian

4:1 Now I mean that the heir, as long as he is a minor, is no different from a slave, though he is the owner of everything. 4:2 But he is under guardians and managers until the date set by his father. 4:3 So also we, when we were minors, were enslaved under the basic forces of the world. 4:4 But when the appropriate time had come, God sent out his Son, born of a woman, born under the law, 4:5 to redeem those who were under the law, so that we may be adopted as sons with full rights. 4:6 And because you are sons, God sent the Spirit of his Son into our hearts, who calls “Abba! Father!” 4:7 So you are no longer a slave but a son, and if you are a son, then you are also an heir through God. 4:8 Formerly when you did not know God, you were enslaved to beings that by nature are not gods at all. 4:9 But now that you have come to know God (or rather to be known by God), how can you turn back again to the weak and worthless basic forces? Do you want to be enslaved to them all over again? 4:10 You are observing religious days and months and seasons and years. 4:11 I fear for you that my work for you may have been in vain. 4:12 I beg you, brothers and sisters, become like me, because I have become like you. You have done me no wrong!

4:21 Tell me, you who want to be under the law, do you not understand the law?

5:1 For freedom Christ has set us free. Stand firm, then, and do not be subject again to the yoke of slavery. 5:2 Listen! I, Paul, tell you that if you let yourselves be circumcised, Christ will be of no benefit to you at all! 5:3 And I testify again to every man who lets himself be circumcised that he is obligated to obey the whole law. 5:4 You who are trying to be declared righteous by the law have been alienated from Christ; you have fallen away from grace! 5:5 For through the Spirit, by faith, we wait expectantly for the hope of righteousness. 5:6 For in Christ Jesus neither circumcision nor uncircumcision carries any weight — the only thing that matters is faith working through love.

5:13 For you were called to freedom, brothers and sisters; only do not use your freedom as an opportunity to indulge your flesh, but through love serve one another. 5:14 For the whole law can be summed up in a single commandment, namely, “You must love your neighbor as yourself.”

6:12 Those who want to make a good showing in external matters are trying to force you to be circumcised. They do so only to avoid being persecuted for the cross of Christ. 6:13 For those who are circumcised do not obey the law themselves, but they want you to be circumcised so that they can boast about your flesh.

Ephesians

2:14 For he is our peace, the one who made both groups into one and who destroyed the middle wall of partition, the hostility, 2:15 when he nullified in his flesh the law of commandments in decrees.

Philippians

I lived according to the law as a Pharisee. 3:6 In my zeal for God I persecuted the church. According to the righteousness stipulated in the law I was blameless. 3:7 But these assets I have come to regard as liabilities because of Christ. 3:8 More than that, I now regard all things as liabilities compared to the far greater value of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord, for whom I have suffered the loss of all things — indeed, I regard them as dung! — that I may gain Christ, 3:9 and be found in him, not because I have my own righteousness derived from the law, but because I have the righteousness that comes by way of Christ's faithfulness — a righteousness from God that is in fact based on Christ's faithfulness.

Colossians

2:14 He has destroyed what was against us, a certificate of indebtedness expressed in decrees opposed to us. He has taken it away by nailing it to the cross.

1 Timothy

1:6 Some have strayed from these and turned away to empty discussion. 1:7 They want to be teachers of the law, but they do not understand what they are saying or the things they insist on so confidently.
1:8 But we know that the law is good if someone uses it legitimately, 1:9 realizing that law is not intended for a righteous person, but for lawless and rebellious people, for the ungodly and sinners, for the unholy and profane, for those who kill their fathers or mothers, for murderers, 1:10 sexually immoral people, practicing homosexuals, kidnappers, liars, perjurers — in fact, for any who live contrary to sound teaching.

Hebrews (written to Jewish Christians)
(This is edited down a lot, but I urge you to go read it)
7:11 So if perfection had in fact been possible through the Levitical priesthood — for on that basis the people received the law — what further need would there have been for another priest to arise, said to be in the order of Melchizedek and not in Aaron's order? 7:12 For when the priesthood changes, a change in the law must come as well. 7:18 On the one hand a former command is set aside because it is weak and useless, 7:19 for the law made nothing perfect. On the other hand a better hope is introduced, through which we draw near to God. 7:20 And since this was not done without a sworn affirmation — for the others have become priests without a sworn affirmation, 7:21 but Jesus did so with a sworn affirmation by the one who said to him, “The Lord has sworn and will not change his mind, 'You are a priest forever'” — 7:22 accordingly Jesus has become the guarantee of a better covenant. 7:24 but he holds his priesthood permanently since he lives forever. 7:25 So he is able to save completely those who come to God through him, because he always lives to intercede for them.
8:6 But now Jesus has obtained a superior ministry, since the covenant that he mediates is also better and is enacted on better promises.
8:13 When he speaks of a new covenant, he makes the first obsolete. Now what is growing obsolete and aging is about to disappear.
9:15 And so he is the mediator of a new covenant, so that those who are called may receive the eternal inheritance he has promised, since he died to set them free from the violations committed under the first covenant. . . But now he has appeared once for all at the consummation of the ages to put away sin by his sacrifice. 9:27 And just as people are appointed to die once, and then to face judgment, 9:28 so also, after Christ was offered once to bear the sins of many, to those who eagerly await him he will appear a second time, not to bear sin but to bring salvation.

James (written to Jewish Christians)

1:25 But the one who peers into the perfect law of liberty and fixes his attention there, and does not become a forgetful listener but one who lives it out — he will be blessed in what he does. 1:26 If someone thinks he is religious yet does not bridle his tongue, and so deceives his heart, his religion is futile. 1:27 Pure and undefiled religion before God the Father is this: to care for orphans and widows in their misfortune and to keep oneself unstained by the world.

2:8 But if you fulfill the royal law as expressed in this scripture, “You shall love your neighbor as yourself,” you are doing well. 2:9 But if you show prejudice, you are committing sin and are convicted by the law as violators. 2:10 For the one who obeys the whole law but fails in one point has become guilty of all of it. 2:11 For he who said, “Do not commit adultery,” also said, “Do not murder.” Now if you do not commit adultery but do commit murder, you have become a violator of the law. 2:12 Speak and act as those who will be judged by a law that gives freedom. 2:13 For judgment is merciless for the one who has shown no mercy. But mercy triumphs over judgment.

4:11 Do not speak against one another, brothers and sisters. He who speaks against a fellow believer or judges a fellow believer speaks against the law and judges the law. But if you judge the law, you are not a doer of the law but its judge. 4:12 But there is only one who is lawgiver and judge — the one who is able to save and destroy. On the other hand, who are you to judge your neighbor?
4:13 Come now, you who say, “Today or tomorrow we will go into this or that town and spend a year there and do business and make a profit.” 4:14 You do not know about tomorrow. What is your life like? For you are a puff of smoke that appears for a short time and then vanishes. 4:15 You ought to say instead, “If the Lord is willing, then we will live and do this or that.” 4:16 But as it is, you boast in your arrogance. All such boasting is evil. 4:17 So whoever knows what is good to do and does not do it is guilty of sin.

1 John

2:3 Now by this we know that we have come to know God: if we keep his commandments. 2:4 The one who says “I have come to know God” and yet does not keep his commandments is a liar, and the truth is not in such a person. 2:5 But whoever obeys his word, truly in this person the love of God has been perfected. By this we know that we are in him. 2:6 The one who says he resides in God ought himself to walk just as Jesus walked.

3:4 Everyone who practices sin also practices lawlessness; indeed, sin is lawlessness. 3:5 And you know that Jesus was revealed to take away sins, and in him there is no sin. 3:6 Everyone who resides in him does not sin; everyone who sins has neither seen him nor known him. 3:7 Little children, let no one deceive you: The one who practices righteousness is righteous, just as Jesus is righteous. 3:8 The one who practices sin is of the devil, because the devil has been sinning from the beginning. For this purpose the Son of God was revealed: to destroy the works of the devil. 3:9 Everyone who has been fathered by God does not practice sin, because God's seed resides in him, and thus he is not able to sin, because he has been fathered by God. 3:10 By this the children of God and the children of the devil are revealed: Everyone who does not practice righteousness — the one who does not love his fellow Christian — is not of God.

5:1 Everyone who believes that Jesus is the Christ has been fathered by God, and everyone who loves the father loves the child fathered by him. 5:2 By this we know that we love the children of God: whenever we love God and obey his commandments. 5:3 For this is the love of God: that we keep his commandments. And his commandments do not weigh us down, 5:4 because everyone who has been fathered by God conquers the world.
Last edited by Jbuza on Tue Aug 08, 2006 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jbuza
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Jbuza »

gone
Last edited by Jbuza on Tue Aug 08, 2006 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yeshua's follower
Familiar Member

Post by Yeshua's follower »

Over the last couple of days I have been reading through what you guys have to say on this topic. Your discussion on the topic of the "law" has been very encouraging to me. I first started looking into this topic about three years ago when the youth pastor at our church started obeying Sabath, Holy days, wearing tassels, ect. I had the exact response that Jbuza had. I didn't understand why my youth pastor was doing these things. I had thought that all of the O.T. laws were nailed to the cross. I thought that Paul was telling us not to obey the laws of God anymore. I was determined to prove my youth pastor wrong. But as began to look into it, I actually proved myself wrong in my studying. That it was our sin that was placed on the cross, not the law. That Paul even still obeyed the law's of God. I realized that I was taking a lot of verses out of context to prove that the law was no more. So I just wanted to let you guys know how encouraging this discussion has been for me, because I have asked and been asked a lot of questions that you guys are talking about. I hope that it is okay if I could jump in here with you guys and ask questions and start discussing this with you. I am only out to find the truth. So if you find error in anything I say, please let me know.

May Lord Yeshua bless you both
Yeshua's follower
Familiar Member

Post by Yeshua's follower »

Don't let my post above interupt your discussion.
Jbuza
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Jbuza »

gone
Last edited by Jbuza on Tue Aug 08, 2006 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
R7-12
Established Member

Post by R7-12 »

Greetings Yeshua's follower,

You said,
Over the last couple of days I have been reading through what you guys have to say on this topic. Your discussion on the topic of the "law" has been very encouraging to me. I first started looking into this topic about three years ago when the youth pastor at our church started obeying Sabath, Holy days, wearing tassels, ect. I had the exact response that Jbuza had. I didn't understand why my youth pastor was doing these things. I had thought that all of the O.T. laws were nailed to the cross. I thought that Paul was telling us not to obey the laws of God anymore. I was determined to prove my youth pastor wrong. But as began to look into it, I actually proved myself wrong in my studying. That it was our sin that was placed on the cross, not the law. That Paul even still obeyed the law's of God. I realized that I was taking a lot of verses out of context to prove that the law was no more. So I just wanted to let you guys know how encouraging this discussion has been for me, because I have asked and been asked a lot of questions that you guys are talking about. I hope that it is okay if I could jump in here with you guys and ask questions and start discussing this with you. I am only out to find the truth. So if you find error in anything I say, please let me know.
I'm sorry I have not responded to you until now - I only just realized you had posted here.

Your brief story indicates that your are one of the rare people who will actually allow the written word to take precedence over what you have been taught or believed to be true.

That takes genuine honesty and guts and personal sacrifice.

I'm glad you decided to jump into our discussion. It sounds as though you may still have questions on this subject. Please feel free to join and post anytime.

R7-12
Jbuza
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Jbuza »

gone
Last edited by Jbuza on Tue Aug 08, 2006 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.