Are we still required to follow Mosaic law?

Discussions about the Bible, and any issues raised by Scripture.
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Re: Are we still required to follow Mosaic law?

Post by PaulSacramento »

Starhunter wrote:
PaulSacramento wrote:If Christians are required to follow that Law then it would have been EXPLICITLY stated in the NT ( It is NOT) ANY they would have had to follow ALL the Laws.
So, there are 612 Laws and while many are ceremonial, MOST are NOT.
To those Christians that believe we most follow the Laws of the OT I ask this:
Are you following all of them? if not then WHO decides which ones to follow?
Sorry Paul, but the 612 laws were not the ten that God wrote with His own finger, which Christ often referred to.
They are by- laws all under the principle of the ten. But the 600 odd by- laws would not have been written if some of the crowd were not so thick. As Jesus said, Moses gave you the divorce law because you couldn't work out your marriages, but in the beginning it was not so with Adam and Eve. So marriage and the Sabbath were already in the garden.
The law given on Mt Sinai was from a perfect world - heaven, and a copy of them lie in the ark to this day, both in the heavenly sanctuary and on earth in the ark Moses made.

Once we have established what Christ said about the ten, then we can move on safely to what Paul said without getting wrong ideas.

In regards to which ones we follow, all of the ten God wrote, but please tell me which commandment of the ten is repulsive and wrong? Which particular commandment is worthless?
SO you don't believe the other Laws to be given By God?
neo-x
Ultimate Member

Post by neo-x »

Starhunter wrote:Neo X ,

Can you see Christ as the embodiment of the law, the spiritual essence of God's character? Or do you just see a law that simply was a mistake?
God does not make mistakes does He?
I don't see Christ as embodiment of the law...He is God, law is not God, nor these two entities are interchangeable. Christ is not law in flesh, Christ is God, he is all there is. The law was an imperfect shadow for the real substance which is Christ. A taskmaster until the son arrived. Essence of God is not = the law given to Israel. These are far deeper theological issues concerning what is God, or His essence etc. so lets not dive into that.

The law wasn't a mistake it was just what was provided as a temp until God's appointed time for Christ to redeem mankind was to come. Its not how I see it, its how the scriptures tell it.

P.S The law was never perfect to begin with, it was never intended by God to be perfect either, or else it could have saved us. It's inability to save us is not a mistake, it is a consequence of its purpose.
It would be a blessing if they missed the cairns and got lost on the way back. Or if
the Thing on the ice got them tonight.

I could only turn and stare in horror at the chief surgeon.
Death by starvation is a terrible thing, Goodsir, continued Stanley.
And with that we went below to the flame-flickering Darkness of the lower deck
and to a cold almost the equal of the Dante-esque Ninth Circle Arctic Night
without.

//johnadavid.wordpress.com
jlay
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by jlay »

I've already addressed this with SH.
He has already incorrectly accused myself and other of saying the law was wrong, or the law was a mistake. I spoke directly to this and now he does the exact same thing again. I can understand it once, but when you've been confronted on this once and then commit the same error, it becomes a dirty, underhanded debate tactic.

Regardless of whether you categorize the law into moral, ceremonial, etc., it doesn't change who the law was addressed to. On multiple occasions the scripture clearly states, "Here ye O' Israel."
-“The Bible treated allegorically becomes putty in the hands of the exegete.” John Walvoord

"I'm not saying scientists don't overstate their results. They do. And it's understandable, too...If you spend years working toward a certain goal and make no progress, of course you are going to spin your results in a positive light." Ivellious
abelcainsbrother
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Gap Theory

Post by abelcainsbrother »

No we are not under the law but grace.However if you are saved the closer you are to Jesus the more of the law you will be automatically doing.Your focus should be on your relationship with Jesus not the law because Jesus already fulfilled it for you and you can't do it anyway and you insult Jesus trying to.You are forgetting what he did for you and thinking you can do it on your own.James to me is saying you are not saved really if you don't have works for your faith.
Hebrews 12:2-3 Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith;who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross,despising the shame,and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.

2nd Corinthians 4:4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not,lest the light of this glorious gospel of Christ,who is the image of God,should shine unto them.
Starhunter

Post by Starhunter »

PaulSacramento wrote: SO you don't believe the other Laws to be given By God?
God and Moses worked together on those by-laws, but the ceremonial laws God instructed Moses to write them.
The Civil laws were not written all at once, but as problems needed to be addressed, not unlike our system of law.

But all the by-laws on health and civility etc are extractions of the ten or based on the ten.

The ten laws are succinct as well as broad. For eg, "Thou Shalt not steal" covers more than just stolen property, it can be stolen time, reputation, room or space, energy, ideas etc.
Starhunter

Post by Starhunter »

neo-x wrote:
I don't see Christ as embodiment of the law...He is God, law is not God, nor these two entities are interchangeable. Christ is not law in flesh, Christ is God, he is all there is. The law was an imperfect shadow for the real substance which is Christ. A taskmaster until the son arrived. Essence of God is not = the law given to Israel. These are far deeper theological issues concerning what is God, or His essence etc. so lets not dive into that.

The law wasn't a mistake it was just what was provided as a temp until God's appointed time for Christ to redeem mankind was to come. Its not how I see it, its how the scriptures tell it.

P.S The law was never perfect to begin with, it was never intended by God to be perfect either, or else it could have saved us. It's inability to save us is not a mistake, it is a consequence of its purpose.
I differ in my view of the law, I think it's perfect, because it covers all bases from worship to God through to coveting. But I get where you are coming from, and appreciate your sharing.
Starhunter

Post by Starhunter »

jlay wrote:I've already addressed this with SH.
He has already incorrectly accused myself and other of saying the law was wrong, or the law was a mistake. I spoke directly to this and now he does the exact same thing again. I can understand it once, but when you've been confronted on this once and then commit the same error, it becomes a dirty, underhanded debate tactic.

Regardless of whether you categorize the law into moral, ceremonial, etc., it doesn't change who the law was addressed to. On multiple occasions the scripture clearly states, "Here ye O' Israel."
There's been a misunderstanding somewhere, as I did not intend to do what you said I did.
Starhunter

Post by Starhunter »

abelcainsbrother wrote:No we are not under the law but grace.However if you are saved the closer you are to Jesus the more of the law you will be automatically doing.Your focus should be on your relationship with Jesus not the law because Jesus already fulfilled it for you and you can't do it anyway and you insult Jesus trying to.You are forgetting what he did for you and thinking you can do it on your own.James to me is saying you are not saved really if you don't have works for your faith.
True, anyone who accepted Christ, in OT or NT times was under grace, and not under the law.

The law is like the face of God, it can only kill the sinner, but with Christ in the heart, the demands of the law of God are met, and He will cause sinners to be able to see God without dying.
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

Starhunter wrote:
PaulSacramento wrote: SO you don't believe the other Laws to be given By God?
God and Moses worked together on those by-laws, but the ceremonial laws God instructed Moses to write them.
The Civil laws were not written all at once, but as problems needed to be addressed, not unlike our system of law.

But all the by-laws on health and civility etc are extractions of the ten or based on the ten.

The ten laws are succinct as well as broad. For eg, "Thou Shalt not steal" covers more than just stolen property, it can be stolen time, reputation, room or space, energy, ideas etc.
You didn't answer my question.

Let me put it this way:

In your view, ONLY the 10 commandments are the ones that ALL must follow, Jew and Christian alike?
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

Starhunter wrote:
neo-x wrote:

I differ in my view of the law, I think it's perfect, because it covers all bases from worship to God through to coveting. But I get where you are coming from, and appreciate your sharing.
To state that the Law is perfect is to state that the Law is God since ONLY God is perfect.
IS that what you are doing? are you stating that the Law is EQUAL to God?, the SAME as God?
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

Starhunter wrote:
If the law was perfect, there would've been no need for Christ. I know you don't realize it, but by saying the law is perfect, you are trampling on the cross of Christ.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Byblos
Old School

Post by Byblos »

RickD wrote:
Starhunter wrote:
If the law was perfect, there would've been no need for Christ. I know you don't realize it, but by saying the law is perfect, you are trampling on the cross of Christ.
I don't know about that Rick. Theoretically it is possible for one to be saved by the law (if kept perfectly) so the law must be perfect. It just so happens that in our fallen nature no one is perfect so no one can be saved by the law. It is not a trampling on the cross to call the law perfect, perhaps only that one can be saved by the law (the imperfection is in us, not the law).
Let us proclaim the mystery of our faith: Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again.

Lord I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

Byblos wrote:
RickD wrote:
Starhunter wrote:
I don't know about that Rick. Theoretically it is possible for one to be saved by the law (if kept perfectly) so the law must be perfect. It just so happens that in our fallen nature no one is perfect so no one can be saved by the law. It is not a trampling on the cross to call the law perfect, perhaps only that one can be saved by the law (the imperfection is in us, not the law).
We need to distinguish the Law being perfect FOR it's intended purpose and the Laws BEING perfect.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Byblos wrote:
RickD wrote:
Starhunter wrote:
Galatians 2:16
"Knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the Law but through faith in Christ Jesus, even we have believed in Christ Jesus, that we may be justified by faith in Christ, and not by the works of the Law; since by the works of the Law shall no flesh be justified".

Galatians 2:21
21 I do not nullify the grace of God, for if righteousness were through the law, then Christ died for no purpose.

Galatians 3:11
"Now that no one is justified by the Law before God is evident; for, ‘The righteous man shall life by faith'".

Acts 13:38-39
"Therefore let it be known to you, brethren, that through Him forgiveness of sins is proclaimed to you, and through Him everyone who believes if freed from all things, from which you could not be freed through the Law of Moses".
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

-Edward R Murrow

RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Are we still required to follow Mosaic Law?
Is like asking, "Do you still beat your wife?"

WE were never required to follow mosaic law. Mosaic law was given to Israel, not to US.

WE never were required to follow Mosaic law. Including the 10 commandments which can't be separated from the rest of the Law.

-Edward R Murrow