Morality Without God?

Discussions on a ranges of philosophical issues including the nature of truth and reality, personal identity, mind-body theories, epistemology, justification of beliefs, argumentation and logic, philosophy of religion, free will and determinism, etc.
B. W.
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes

Re: Morality Without God?

Post by B. W. »

jlay wrote:BW,

I think it all gets down, as Craig points out, objective in what sense. In the weak sense I understand what Spock is saying. But as you show with the quote, that is not the definition of OM that WLC refers to.

If man is a result of natural unguided processes, then so is self-awareness. And thus, so is self-love. And if love then so the GR. It is objectively without meaning. It is all subject to the fact that man through unguided, natural processes is self-aware. But love isn't some ideal, only an idea. A concept that will die with man.
In the same thought, Jlay, there would be no accountability if chemicals in the brain alone are what defines love and the GR. You have nothing, nothing to look forward too, all good deed and bad deeds are merely nothing. For example, brutal sexual pedophilia murder is no no more wrong than Mother Teresa giving all to feed the poor/shelter the abused. There is no accountability in the naturalist materialist view, unless humanly defined, but even that allows a brutal sexual pedophilia murderer to have gotten away with the deed because when you die and you die and then, well, nothing. You know then, Life's a B---ch, then ya die - becomes the new morality. We live in it now. Human derived GR provides no accountability.

BryanH asked this:
BryanH wrote:In order to actually prove OM, you would have to actually demonstrate that objective moral values are abstract.

Can you do that?
Accountability... would be the appropriate answer.

Accountability for our use of our intelligence that turns our subjective reason into objective actions that makes us accountable to God is one thing.

Accountability for our use of our intelligence that turns our subjective reason into objective actions which makes us accountable to only to self interest is at best delusional.

The continued practice of this shows clearly the results of such delusions upon society in the course of history as Might makes it right.

But WLC can and does say it much better than I can...
-
-
-
Science is man's invention - creation is God's
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Not my Circus....not my monkeys
Butterfly
Established Member
Christian: No
Sex: Female

Post by Butterfly »

B. W. wrote:
In the same thought, Jlay, there would be no accountability if chemicals in the brain alone are what defines love and the GR. You have nothing, nothing to look forward too, all good deed and bad deeds are merely nothing. For example, brutal sexual pedophilia murder is no no more wrong than Mother Teresa giving all to feed the poor/shelter the abused. There is no accountability in the naturalist materialist view, unless humanly defined, but even that allows a brutal sexual pedophilia murderer to have gotten away with the deed because when you die and you die and then, well, nothing. You know then, Life's a B---ch, then ya die - becomes the new morality. We live in it now. Human derived GR provides no accountability.

-
By that reasoning, where is the accountability for a "brutal sexual pedophilia murderer" who asks forgiveness from Jesus? In God's eyes all is forgiven and wiped away like it never even happened...right?
-
y@};-
A small flutter of butterfly wings, causes a great disturbance...
Spock
Established Member
Sex: Male
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Post by Spock »

jlay wrote:Spock:
I think it is safe to say that Craig would follow realism, that moral values exist independent of the human mind. That they are REAL values. The fact that Craig claims they are obvious doesn't discount this and force him into the weak objective definition of morality. And thus I think you've made errors rearding Craig's argument. I would also say it's false to say ontology presupposes epistomology, which was adressed regarding the post where I mentioned the ruler. Regarding the reductio, here would be the syllogism:

"a. Craig's argument proves God's existence by allowing the possibility of the existence of non-physical, mind-independent reality (i.e., objective moral values)
b. But non-physical, mind-independent reality (i.e., objective moral values) don't exist.
c. Therefore, Craig's argument is false, since it proposes the absurdity rejected in (b)."

Regarding (b), you would have to more than assert it. Athiest don't believe in the existence of objective moral values (in the strong sense). And yes (b) is the topic of much debate.

Quote from friend: "Regarding his (Spock's) nominalism, the problem here is that he's using words like "right" and "wrong" to refer to things that don't really exist apart from the mind. That is, those words have no corresponding reality in the extra-mental world. They're just concepts that refer to concepts, and those concepts have no root in reality. But Craig is a realist of sorts. He thinks that universals correspond to real existence in the objective world. So this all just goes back to the very, very, very old problem of realism vs. nominalism. Craig would just use a reductio against Spock's position, insofar as nominalism in general makes all knowledge of anything impossible, and moral nominalism in particular (what Spock holds at a minimum) makes all knowledge of moral issues impossible. We're just right back to his personal preference for the GR as his "objective" ruler over and against someone else's "might makes right" and someone else's divine command theory."

"The person who asserts might makes right or divine command is just mistaken. We may all have the right ruler and come to the right conclusion about whether any given act is right or wrong, but the underlying issue is not whether or not we can know if any given action is right or wrong, but rather, what the words "right" and "wrong" refer to. Do they refer to something that exists in reality itself, apart from the human mind, or do they just refer to a consistency with some personally accepted axiom (e.g., the GR, might makes right, lex talionis, etc.)? If Spock wants to say that divine command theory is MISTAKEN, then he is presuming REAL moral value, which is Craig's point."
Nothing is more obvious than the fact that Craig is assuming the philosophical position of moral realism. His argument reduces to this:

1) If God does not exist, then moral realism is false.
2) Moral realism is true.
3) Therefore God exists.

But he can't state it with this simple clarity because his ploy is to deceive his philosophically ignorant audience by assuming their common-sense realism as if it were the only possible philosophic view. WHAT A FREAKING JOKE! It looks like it is time for a brief review of a few of the elementary facts any REAL philosopher, unlike Craig, would know. His tactics are transparent to anyone with the most elementary knowledge of philosophy. Here are a few of the views that he conveniently leaves out of his argument so he can deceive people with his false dichotomy between Theism and Philosophical Realism. His argument would have no force to convince anyone if he stated his naive realism in the context of all the other possible views:

REALISM: Contemporary philosophical realism is the belief that our reality, or some aspect of it, is ontologically independent of our conceptual schemes, linguistic practices, beliefs, etc. Realism may be spoken of with respect to other minds, the past, the future, universals, mathematical entities (such as natural numbers), moral categories, the material world, and thought. Realism can also be promoted in an unqualified sense, in which case it asserts the mind-independent existence of a visible world, as opposed to idealism, skepticism, and solipsism. Philosophers who profess realism state that truth consists in the mind's correspondence to reality.

PLATONIC REALISM: Platonic realism is a philosophical term usually used to refer to the idea of realism regarding the existence of universals or abstract objects after the Greek philosopher Plato (c. 427–c. 347 BC), a student of Socrates. As universals were considered by Plato to be ideal forms, this stance is confusingly also called Platonic idealism. This should not be confused with Idealism, as presented by philosophers such as George Berkeley: as Platonic abstractions are not spatial, temporal, or mental they are not compatible with the later Idealism's emphasis on mental existence. Plato's Forms include numbers and geometrical figures, making them a theory of mathematical realism; they also include the Form of the Good, making them in addition a theory of ethical realism

NAIVE REALISM: Naive realism, also known as direct realism is a philosophy of mind rooted in a common sense theory of perception that claims that the senses provide us with direct awareness of the external world. In contrast, some forms of idealism assert that no world exists apart from mind-dependent ideas and some forms of skepticism say we cannot trust our senses. The realist view is that objects are composed of matter, occupy space and have properties, such as size, shape, texture, smell, taste and colour, that are usually perceived correctly. We perceive them as they really are. Objects obey the laws of physics and retain all their properties whether or not there is anyone to observe them.

MODERATE REALISM: Moderate realism is a position in the debate on the metaphysics of universals which holds that there is no realm in which universals exist (against platonism), nor do they really exist within the individuals as universals, but rather universals really exist within the particulars as individualised, and multiplied. This position is also called immanent realism.

IDEALISM: In philosophy, idealism is the group of philosophies which assert that reality, or reality as we can know it, is fundamentally mental, mentally constructed, or otherwise immaterial. Epistemologically, idealism manifests as a skepticism about the possibility of knowing any mind-independent thing. In a sociological sense, idealism emphasizes how human ideas — especially beliefs and values — shape society.[1] As an ontological doctrine, idealism goes further, asserting that all entities are composed of mind or spirit.[2] Idealism thus rejects physicalist and dualist theories that fail to ascribe priority to the mind. An extreme version of this idealism can exist in the philosophical notion of solipsism.

SUBJECTIVE IDEALISM: Subjective Idealism (immaterialism or phenomenalism) describes a relationship between experience and the world in which objects are no more than collections or "bundles" of sense data in the perceiver. Proponents include Berkeley,[26] Bishop of Cloyne, an Irish philosopher who advanced a theory he called immaterialism, later referred to as "subjective idealism", contending that individuals can only know sensations and ideas of objects directly, not abstractions such as "matter", and that ideas also depend upon being perceived for their very existence - esse est percipi; "to be is to be perceived".

TRANSEDENTAL IDEALISM: Transcendental idealism, founded by Immanuel Kant in the eighteenth century, maintains that the mind shapes the world we perceive into the form of space-and-time.

NOMINALISM: Nominalism is a metaphysical view in philosophy according to which general or abstract terms and predicates exist, while universals or abstract objects, which are sometimes thought to correspond to these terms, do not exist. Thus, there are at least two main versions of nominalism. One version denies the existence of universals—things that can be instantiated or exemplified by many particular things (e.g. strength, humanity). The other version specifically denies the existence of abstract objects—objects that do not exist in space and time.

CONCEPTUALISM: Conceptualism is a philosophical theory that explains universality of particulars as conceptualized frameworks situated within the thinking mind. Intermediate between Nominalism and Realism, the conceptualist view approaches the metaphysical concept of universals from a perspective that denies their presence in particulars outside of the mind's perception of them.

And I could go on of course. You would do well, jlay, to get your "philosophical" friend up to speed. I have explicitly said that I believe in objective morality. I have never written a word denying objective morality. I have never written a word that would indicate I am a nominalist. And can you guess why that might be? Here, let me help - BECAUSE I AM NOT A NOMINALIST! Duh.

Craig designed his argument to take advantage of the philosophically ignorant. It has absolutely no philosophical merit whatsoever. Only the ignorant could be duped into promoting it. His argument is filled with gaping holes from beginning to end. He has been totally debunked on the blog called Ethical Realism written by a man who believes in moral realism but rejects the idea that it must be grounded in God.
Live long and prosper
Danieltwotwenty
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by Danieltwotwenty »

Craig designed his argument to take advantage of the philosophically ignorant. It has absolutely no philosophical merit whatsoever. Only the ignorant could be duped into promoting it. His argument is filled with gaping holes from beginning to end. He has been totally debunked on the blog called Ethical Realism written by a man who believes in moral realism but rejects the idea that it must be grounded in God.
If it is so debunked then why not take it up with Craig himself......
1Tim1:15-17
Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners of whom I am the worst. But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his immense patience as an example for those who would believe in him and receive eternal life. Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory for ever and ever.Amen.
Spock
Established Member

Post by Spock »

Danieltwotwenty wrote: If it is so debunked then why not take it up with Craig himself......
Many people with degrees in philosophy have already shown him his errors and he simply ignores them. He is either totally deluded or willfully deceiving his gullible audience.
Live long and prosper
Spock
Established Member

Post by Spock »

RickD wrote:
Spock wrote:
Christ got the GR from his direct perception of Truth just like everyone else who sees it. If that Truth is God, then he got it from God but that doesn't mean that his conception of God, which was steeped in Jewish tradition, was correct.
Richard, your whole argument is that the God that the bible talks about can't be the real God because of the immoralities you think the biblical God says He condones. So, let's stick to what the bible claims. The bible claims Jesus Christ is God. So, Christ, according to the bible, IS truth. Christ, being God, can't get his direct perception of truth outside himself. I'm not saying you have to believe this, only that you have to admit that the bible says, Christ is God. If you won't admit that, then you have a whole other set of problems that undermine your credibility.
I have never said the Bible does not say that Christ is God. Though it is rather ambiguous on that point, I think the best fit to the Biblical data is that it says Christ is God.

But the mere fact that the Bible says something does not imply that it is true, so what's you point?
RickD wrote:
Spock wrote: . There are big problems with believing in the God Christ spoke of. For example, when I read descriptions of Yahweh I see much that seems irrational, false, and morally abominable. And we don't even know if the Gospel record is accurate because it was written long after the fact.
This is irrelevant. You're arguing against the God that the bible portrays. The bible portrays Jesus Christ as God in the flesh.
Again, I don't follow your logic. The fact that the Bible says something does not make it true, so what is your point?

ETA: OK - I'm guessing you are saying that the OT picture of God is false because the NT picture of God in Christ is so much better. Is that it?
Live long and prosper
neo-x
Ultimate Member

Post by neo-x »

something is correct if the majority says it's correct and if society chooses to enforce that rule.
There is something completely, absolutely, horribly wrong with this statement. In fact to be honest, it's not only, not right, it's not even wrong, y#-o it's retarded.

This idea is retarded because it takes no measure on the intellectual level to ascertain whether the majority is correct or not. Just because you legalize something, does not make it anymore moral than you wearing red tights and a cape and believing yourself to be superman.
Well since he already admitted OM doesn't exist, it's all subjective (albeit according to majority rule, which can change and shift with ebb and flow of the tide) I would presume Bryan would have no issue whatsoever arguing that the Holocaust is morally justifiable, at least in Nazi Germany era. That is if Bryan wishes to be consistent with his stance.
If he is to be consistent than he has to concede that the Holocaust was not only justified, it was a moral and a good thing. Lets be clear here, he is not arguing only that morality is not objective, but passively, that subjective morality is the version which is correct. "Correct" implies that the right and the good course of action, is indeed what the majority decides.

I am sure BraynH is a nice fellow who would not want his words taken to such a case as Holocaust but then sadly, his statement logically takes it there even if he doesn't want it to be.

When good is decided by vote, this is the only response you'll get from me :xxpuke:

Reminds of a good reason why I am not an atheist anymore.
It would be a blessing if they missed the cairns and got lost on the way back. Or if
the Thing on the ice got them tonight.

I could only turn and stare in horror at the chief surgeon.
Death by starvation is a terrible thing, Goodsir, continued Stanley.
And with that we went below to the flame-flickering Darkness of the lower deck
and to a cold almost the equal of the Dante-esque Ninth Circle Arctic Night
without.

//johnadavid.wordpress.com
Butterfly
Established Member
Sex: Female

Post by Butterfly »

neo-x wrote:
BryanH wrote:something is correct if the majority says it's correct and if society chooses to enforce that rule.
There is something completely, absolutely, horribly wrong with this statement. In fact to be honest, it's not only, not right, it's not even wrong, y#-o it's retarded.

This idea is retarded because it takes no measure on the intellectual level to ascertain whether the majority is correct or not. Just because you legalize something, does not make it anymore moral than you wearing red tights and a cape and believing yourself to be superman.
I am by no means defending what BryanH said, but it makes just as much sence as saying that something is moral because the Bible says it is. The Bible says God committed genocide, so genocide must be moral. :shakehead:

-
y@};-
A small flutter of butterfly wings, causes a great disturbance...
Danieltwotwenty
Ultimate Member

Spock wrote:
Danieltwotwenty wrote: If it is so debunked then why not take it up with Craig himself......
Many people with degrees in philosophy have already shown him his errors and he simply ignores them. He is either totally deluded or willfully deceiving his gullible audience.

So why are these things never bought up in debates, it seems that no one has made a public challenge in the debate arena.

It seems a little fishy if he has been debunked but never challenged in a public arena. I call bull :spoop:

Dan
Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners of whom I am the worst. But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his immense patience as an example for those who would believe in him and receive eternal life. Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory for ever and ever.Amen.
neo-x
Ultimate Member

Post by neo-x »

Butterfly » Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:21 am

neo-x wrote:
BryanH wrote:
something is correct if the majority says it's correct and if society chooses to enforce that rule.

There is something completely, absolutely, horribly wrong with this statement. In fact to be honest, it's not only, not right, it's not even wrong, it's retarded.

I am by no means defending what BryanH said, but it makes just as much sence as saying that something is moral because the Bible says it is. The Bible says God committed genocide, so genocide must be moral.
Of course, and that is all the more reason to not follow this kind of principle in the first place.
It would be a blessing if they missed the cairns and got lost on the way back. Or if
the Thing on the ice got them tonight.

I could only turn and stare in horror at the chief surgeon.
Death by starvation is a terrible thing, Goodsir, continued Stanley.
And with that we went below to the flame-flickering Darkness of the lower deck
and to a cold almost the equal of the Dante-esque Ninth Circle Arctic Night
without.

//johnadavid.wordpress.com
Danieltwotwenty
Ultimate Member

Butterfly wrote:
neo-x wrote:
BryanH wrote:something is correct if the majority says it's correct and if society chooses to enforce that rule.

I am by no means defending what BryanH said, but it makes just as much sence as saying that something is moral because the Bible says it is. The Bible says God committed genocide, so genocide must be moral. :shakehead:

-
y@};-
Nowhere does the Bible say God committed genocide, if you could even call it genocide since a creator has the right to give and take life, only humans are capable of genocide.
Spock
Established Member

Post by Spock »

Danieltwotwenty wrote:
Spock wrote:

So why are these things never bought up in debates, it seems that no one has made a public challenge in the debate arena.

It seems a little fishy if he has been debunked but never challenged in a public arena. I call bull :spoop:

Dan
Your call of "bull" is ridiculous. If you need to appeal to authority you demonstrate that you don't understand the issues being discussed and are unable to make a reasoned judgement yourself. I have proven Craig's errors in this thread in simple terms that anyone with an elementary understanding of philosophy can see and understand. If you can't see Craig's errors for yourself even after they've been explained in detail then you have no warrant to have any position on what he says pro or con because the whole topic is obviously over your head.

Furthermore, these issues HAVE come up in debate! Craig just ignores them. I saw this happen just two nights ago when I watched Oxford professor of philosophy Peter Millican decimate Craig's argument in this 2 hour video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9JVRy7bR7zI
Live long and prosper
Spock
Established Member

Post by Spock »

Danieltwotwenty wrote:Nowhere does the Bible say God committed genocide, if you could even call it genocide since a creator has the right to give and take life, only humans are capable of genocide.
If that is true, then there is nowhere in the Bible where the Bible says anything since words will have lost all meaning.
Last edited by Spock on Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Live long and prosper
Danieltwotwenty
Ultimate Member

Spock wrote:
Danieltwotwenty wrote:Nowhere does the Bible say God committed genocide, if you could even call it genocide since a creator has the right to give and take life, only humans are capable of genocide.
If that is true, then there is nowhere in the Bible where the Bible says anything since words will have lost all meaning.

If that is your personal opinion that's fine, I whole heartedly disagree.

God cannot murder/commit genocide/homicide/infanticide/democide/regicide and all the other cide's, God has the right to give and take life as he sees fit, it is an intrinsic feature of being God.

Dan
Spock
Established Member

Post by Spock »

Danieltwotwenty wrote:
Spock wrote:

If that is your personal opinion that's fine, I whole heartedly disagree.

God cannot murder/commit genocide/homicide/infanticide/democide/regicide and all the other cide's, God has the right to give and take life as he sees fit, it is an intrinsic feature of being God.

Dan
The issue is that the Bible says the biblegod commanded Israel to commit genocide.

You can't solve this problem with word games.
Live long and prosper