Praying

Discussions amongst Christians about life issues, walking with Christ, and general Christian topics that don't fit under any other area.
Storyteller
Ultimate Member
Christian: No
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided

Re: Praying

Post by Storyteller »

(((((((((((Nessa))))))))))

I`ll only ever hug you (or anyone else) if they want it though :)

I`ve had my fill of the sweet well meaning bear hugs!

Seriously though...

Don`t get hung up on praying, God knows.

Just love Him (as you do) and keep an open mind (and heart) and you may just realise one day your heart is a little fuller of the love of God. He will reach out to you, He is reaching out to you.
It`s different for everybody and what`s right for me may not be for you.

It`s perfectly okay to just sit and ache in front of God. And cry. Tears can heal. And He will hold you close and let you weep then He will dry your tears.
Faith is a knowledge within the heart, beyond the reach of proof - Kahlil Gibran
Nessa
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes

Post by Nessa »

B. W. wrote:David,

Here are two examples on what to pray and how...

Mat 6:5-13, NASB "When you pray, you are not to be like the hypocrites; for they love to stand and pray in the synagogues and on the street corners so that they may be seen by men. Truly I say to you, they have their reward in full. 6 "But you, when you pray, go into your inner room, close your door and pray to your Father who is in secret, and your Father who sees what is done in secret will reward you. 7 "And when you are praying, do not use meaningless repetition as the Gentiles do, for they suppose that they will be heard for their many words. 8 "So do not be like them; for your Father knows what you need before you ask Him. 9 "Pray, then, in this way: 'Our Father who is in heaven, Hallowed be Your name. 10 'Your kingdom come. Your will be done, On earth as it is in heaven. 11 'Give us this day our daily bread. 12 'And forgive us our debts, as we also have forgiven our debtors. 13 'And do not lead us into temptation, but deliver us from evil. [For Yours is the kingdom and the power and the glory forever. Amen.]'

John 17:1-26 expresses what to you on how one prays?

Also, what does prayer mean to you?
i dont like the word prayer..it sounds formal...impersonal....but in the bible i can see hannah and david and job and see it as more than that...
Storyteller
Ultimate Member

Post by Storyteller »

Prayer just means communication, well I think so anyway.
Faith is a knowledge within the heart, beyond the reach of proof - Kahlil Gibran
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Post by Kurieuo »

David made songs to God.
I think he's just a show off.

Hmm.
Now I feel like I need to find a harp? y/:]
:harp:
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Post by Kurieuo »

B. W. wrote:Odd, but I do not see what you see in the articles. They contain the basic concepts of prayer and why pray at all. I don't see formalizations but merely bullet point pointers or talking points mentioned. It is true that better wording should have been used but in all I just do not see your objections the way you do. Maybe I need new glasses :lol:

The condition and state of the modern church proves that most do not pray or see the need and the accuser of the brethren couldn't be more happy and pleased about this sad state too. Anyways, maybe a cross cultural language of Yankee speak and Aussie speak thing going on here. In my opinion the articles just give an overview of talking points on prayer and attempt help folks learn how to start praying...
I do have a knack for being overly critical.
Be thankful you're not my wife. :lol:

The first article does say prayer is a commandment though, which stopped me in my tracks.
But, I will stop. The authors intentions are nonetheless sincere. :P
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Post by B. W. »

Nessa wrote:
B. W. wrote:David,

Here are two examples on what to pray and how...

Mat 6:5-13, NASB "When you pray, you are not to be like the hypocrites; for they love to stand and pray in the synagogues and on the street corners so that they may be seen by men. Truly I say to you, they have their reward in full. 6 "But you, when you pray, go into your inner room, close your door and pray to your Father who is in secret, and your Father who sees what is done in secret will reward you. 7 "And when you are praying, do not use meaningless repetition as the Gentiles do, for they suppose that they will be heard for their many words. 8 "So do not be like them; for your Father knows what you need before you ask Him. 9 "Pray, then, in this way: 'Our Father who is in heaven, Hallowed be Your name. 10 'Your kingdom come. Your will be done, On earth as it is in heaven. 11 'Give us this day our daily bread. 12 'And forgive us our debts, as we also have forgiven our debtors. 13 'And do not lead us into temptation, but deliver us from evil. [For Yours is the kingdom and the power and the glory forever. Amen.]'

John 17:1-26 expresses what to you on how one prays?

Also, what does prayer mean to you?
i dont like the word prayer..it sounds formal...impersonal....but in the bible i can see hannah and david and job and see it as more than that...
Maybe this will help you. From Vines Dictionary - Prayer means simply this: communication which always has to be two-way in order to be real.

That is how I use the word prayer. In the verses I used above, please notice that this is the thought in the Two Lord's Prayers.

John 17:1-26, please note how Jesus prayed - communicated. He was talking to someone there and real.

When you think of prayer as that, verses about praying make more sense. When Moses pleaded for the the ancient Israelites not to be wiped out, he was talking to God as it were face to face. In fact, the OT mentioned this in Exodus 33:11 that the the Lord spoke face to face with Moses as a friend.

So why is prayer important - communication. Like several folks here already mentioned, just pour out your heart to God, how you feel, like you would a close friend. Another way to communicate for example is while you read the bible, ask him to help you glean insights from it. Go over a few verses and ask what do these mean and see what happens. These are just two ways to begin to learn to pray. You will flow into the rest in time so do not condemn yourself so much. Another way to learn how to pray will sound sound strange to some reading along here but I do not know any other way to make it simple regarding how to pray for others - other than - do you know how to gossip? If you do, then gossip to God about others. If it is bad gossip, the Lord will learn you a few things. If it is not bad but rather gossiping to God on what help, aid, comfort, etc, what they need - you'll see results in time.

It sounds like to me, you have the wrong ideas concerning what prayer is and how to pray and the need to pray so maybe keep in mind the Vines Expository Dictionary OT definition on prayer as meaning two way communication then it will become easier. Many responding to you have given you sound advise so... blessings from heaven rain down on you...
-
-
-
Science is man's invention - creation is God's
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Not my Circus....not my monkeys
Nessa
Ultimate Member

Post by Nessa »

i do notice that there have been times when im upset...ive told God ive hated him etc and felt real...like it was a real prayer..if you get what i mean...kinda like what ku said somwwhere else bout being raw. maybe it takes being really angry and upset to get to the place of real honest communication for me.
Nessa
Ultimate Member

Post by Nessa »

its like there can be blockages but enough fired up emotion gets me right past that and im finally talking to him...anyone else relate?
Storyteller
Ultimate Member

Post by Storyteller »

Nessa wrote:its like there can be blockages but enough fired up emotion gets me right past that and im finally talking to him...anyone else relate?
Absolutely.

Sometimes you need to be really, really emotional to just let it fly.
Nessa
Ultimate Member

Post by Nessa »

:sbump:
Storyteller
Ultimate Member

Post by Storyteller »

Oh Lord!
Storyteller
Ultimate Member

Post by Storyteller »

Just how much do I have to endure?
And for who am I enduring it for?

im all for being tested, but this is something else. I see my part in it but he wont see his, he cant. if he admits that, everything he believes in crumbles.

so I pray, and get angry at God, its easier than being angry with me.

im angry cos it hurts, recognising failure.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

Storyteller wrote:Just how much do I have to endure?
And for who am I enduring it for?

im all for being tested, but this is something else. I see my part in it but he wont see his, he cant. if he admits that, everything he believes in crumbles.

so I pray, and get angry at God, its easier than being angry with me.

im angry cos it hurts, recognising failure.
What does he believe in that will crumble, if he admits he is at least partially to blame?
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Storyteller
Ultimate Member

Post by Storyteller »

That he is always right, he cant be wrong.
if hes wrong, then, he might not be. strong.

I loved someone else.
and he knows why.
because he always had to be right
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

Storyteller wrote:That he is always right, he cant be wrong.
if hes wrong, then, he might not be. strong.

I loved someone else.
and he knows why.
because he always had to be right
That's actually somewhat ironic. He's showing how weak he actually is, by not admitting he's wrong.

Stubbornness doesn't equal strength.

Ask him, if he's always right, and can never be wrong, if he was wrong to marry you. I bet that'll confuse the hell out of him. :lol:
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony