Exclusivism vs. Inclusivism

General discussions about Christianity including salvation, heaven and hell, Christian history and so on.

Are you an Inclusivist or Exclusivist when it comes to being saved via Christ?

Inclusivist
31%
Exclusivist
54%
Undecided
15%

Total votes: 13

RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: Exclusivism vs. Inclusivism

Post by RickD »

melanie wrote:I'm not voting y[-(
Not a fan of labels that restricts my views into one camp or another. I am though a big fan of Jesus and scripture.

' I am the way, the truth and the light, no man comes through the Father except through me'.
Jesus is the only way.

How and when a person comes to Christ is a matter between them and God.
Whether we have heard the gospel, the right gospel makes no difference, doesn't matter if we are born in China, Afhganistan or Australia we are all unworthy. The best of us are still not good enough. Hearing the gospel doesn't mean salvation, belief does. We are all born with an innate connection to God. Missionaries are spreading the 'good news' to bring truth and understanding to that which is already within us.
Is it possible that a person who has never been exposed to the bible, I don't just mean the Amazon jungle man, can be already on their journey to Christ. How important then to get the gospel to them of course, but arguing that spreading the good news would be pointless and damaging if they were better of not knowing is presuming God does not know and could not possibly know the acceptance or rejection of our innate knowledge of God. He would be completely reliant on us to reach into the spirit of others to reveal truth. God is the revealer of truth, not us. Does God use missionaries in the most wonderous of ways, of course, but He is not reliant on it to reveal our rejection of Him. Before those missionaries step into that tiny village in Africa or Asia God already knows those who reject Him. They already reject Him. In heart and spirit. They are just given the script to reject in mind. I am not arguing against evangelising, just the notion that if someone hasn't been reached, like many in years past, that that would leave God oblivious to their acceptance or rejection of Him leaving Him no choice but to grant universal entry into heaven. Therefore making it better to not preach the gospel, thus 'getting more souls into heaven' because God would be terribly confused as to who accepts or denies Him.
I just don't think God is limited by this.
Mel,
I cast your vote for exclusivist. ;)
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
melanie
Esteemed Senior Member
Sex: Female

Post by melanie »

abelcainsbrother wrote:Come on some of you,take a stand one way or another.
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XHIw6vs4z0w

Ha, Cute song Abel
I do take a stand, unequivocally and with conviction
I'm a ballsy chic and a passionate christian... If that leads me to a position of not postulating over Gods wisdom and justice so be it.
There is nothing wrong with saying 'I don't know', I think a great harm has been done by assuming otherwise, others argue that the greater harm is not taking a 'position', but honesty and humility is far more reaching and a greater connection made when we realise that we honour what we do know and surrender what we don't.
melanie
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by melanie »

RickD wrote:
melanie wrote:I'm not voting y[-(
Not a fan of labels that restricts my views into one camp or another. I am though a big fan of Jesus and scripture.

' I am the way, the truth and the light, no man comes through the Father except through me'.
Jesus is the only way.

How and when a person comes to Christ is a matter between them and God.
Whether we have heard the gospel, the right gospel makes no difference, doesn't matter if we are born in China, Afhganistan or Australia we are all unworthy. The best of us are still not good enough. Hearing the gospel doesn't mean salvation, belief does. We are all born with an innate connection to God. Missionaries are spreading the 'good news' to bring truth and understanding to that which is already within us.
Is it possible that a person who has never been exposed to the bible, I don't just mean the Amazon jungle man, can be already on their journey to Christ. How important then to get the gospel to them of course, but arguing that spreading the good news would be pointless and damaging if they were better of not knowing is presuming God does not know and could not possibly know the acceptance or rejection of our innate knowledge of God. He would be completely reliant on us to reach into the spirit of others to reveal truth. God is the revealer of truth, not us. Does God use missionaries in the most wonderous of ways, of course, but He is not reliant on it to reveal our rejection of Him. Before those missionaries step into that tiny village in Africa or Asia God already knows those who reject Him. They already reject Him. In heart and spirit. They are just given the script to reject in mind. I am not arguing against evangelising, just the notion that if someone hasn't been reached, like many in years past, that that would leave God oblivious to their acceptance or rejection of Him leaving Him no choice but to grant universal entry into heaven. Therefore making it better to not preach the gospel, thus 'getting more souls into heaven' because God would be terribly confused as to who accepts or denies Him.
I just don't think God is limited by this.
Mel,
I cast your vote for exclusivist. ;)
Hehe cast away Klown ;)
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

melanie wrote:

Ha, Cute song Abel
I'm a ballsy chic and a passionate christian... If that leads me to a position of not postulating over Gods wisdom and justice so be it.
There is nothing wrong with saying 'I don't know', I think a great harm has been done by assuming otherwise, others argue that the greater harm is not taking a 'position', but honesty and humility is far more reaching and a greater connection made when we realise that we honour what we do know and surrender what we don't.
Fence sitter. y[-(
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
melanie
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by melanie »

RickD wrote:
melanie wrote:

Ha, Cute song Abel
Fence sitter. y[-(
Yep, you gotta a problem with that?..... ;)

It's prime position to view the 'enlightened, ummm deluded on both sides :mrgreen:
Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

Well, a big "hint" to all of this speculation is to remember that The Apostle Paul has already told us that God has condemned people who have never heard the Gospel. Why? Because they had rejected what about Himself God had already made clear to them (the very same basic things He has revealed to ALL, as we're instructed is true and is certain "because God has shown it to them.") And these people Paul speaks of have never heard the Gospel. So, what SCRIPTURE says is that rejecting even the basic understandings (that Paul tells us that ALL have about God) that have always been made clear to men, "ever since the creation of the world," is enough to condemn them.

So, the question should be: Do we believe Romans 1 or not?
melanie
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by melanie »

Philip wrote:Well, a big "hint" to all of this speculation is to remember that The Apostle Paul has already told us that God has condemned people who have never heard the Gospel. Why? Because they had rejected what about Himself God had already made clear to them (the very same basic things He has revealed to ALL, as we're instructed is true and is certain "because God has shown it to them.") And these people Paul speaks of have never heard the Gospel. So, what SCRIPTURE says is that rejecting even the basic understandings (that Paul tells us that ALL have about God) that have always been made clear to men, "ever since the creation of the world," is enough to condemn them.

Phil, I wasn't being serious in my last couple posts, but I really appreciate your opinion. We got into this a little while back, and I never really clarified my position. I have attempted to do so now, but my iPad had a spastic and I lost what I was writing. Too tired now but I will respond later.
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by PaulSacramento »

Philip wrote:Well, a big "hint" to all of this speculation is to remember that The Apostle Paul has already told us that God has condemned people who have never heard the Gospel. Why? Because they had rejected what about Himself God had already made clear to them (the very same basic things He has revealed to ALL, as we're instructed is true and is certain "because God has shown it to them.") And these people Paul speaks of have never heard the Gospel. So, what SCRIPTURE says is that rejecting even the basic understandings (that Paul tells us that ALL have about God) that have always been made clear to men, "ever since the creation of the world," is enough to condemn them.

Sure we can believe Romans 1.
And according to Romans 1, anyone that believes in God is saved.
Is that right?
No, we know that is not the case.
There were many the believed in God but not Christ.

As Jesus said:
Matthew 7:21-23

21 “Not everyone who says to Me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of My Father who is in heaven will enter. 22 Many will say to Me on that day, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in Your name, and in Your name cast out demons, and in Your name perform many miracles?’ 23 And then I will declare to them, ‘I never knew you; depart from Me, you who practice lawlessness.’

And then there is Jesus; warning:

Matthew 24:

“See to it that no one misleads you. 5 For many will come in My name, saying, ‘I am the Christ,’ and will mislead many.

Jesus himself warned that many would be mislead by those preaching in HIS name.
Why do that when there is no excuse? or when it is already foreknown who will and who will not be mislead ?
Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

“See to it that no one misleads you. 5 For many will come in My name, saying, ‘I am the Christ,’ and will mislead many.

Paul: Jesus himself warned that many would be mislead by those preaching in HIS name. Why do that when there is no excuse? or when it is already foreknown who will and who will not be mislead ?
This doesn't change anything that Romans 1 clearly asserts. This is just one more warning about being deceived, by just one more of the many tools in Satan's toolbox (false teachers). And this warning would seem to be directed more so at CHRISTIANS, as false teachings can lead one into many unfortunate actions. Nonetheless, note all those people in the OT that God repeatedly warned about this and that - and yet they continued to do so. So why did He warn THOSE people as well? As typically, they did not heed His warnings and subsequently felt His wrath and condemnation. And yet, he well knew of their ultimate choices when He warned them. So, what is different in the passage referenced?

Also (" when it is already foreknown who will and who will not be mislead"), I do hope we're not questioning here that God does indeed know ALL - and has ALWAYS known precisely all - of whom will ultimately be saved and will respond, at some point, to His wooing, nudging and help - as well as all who will NEVER do so. You're not questioning that, are you, Paul? God is either all-knowing or not. Scripture says He is. And so that He would warn those that ignored the warnings can be found throughout Scripture - not just in Romans 1. So, are you questioning that Romans 1 isn't true, or that it means something other than it plainly says?
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by PaulSacramento »

Philip wrote:

Paul: Jesus himself warned that many would be mislead by those preaching in HIS name. Why do that when there is no excuse? or when it is already foreknown who will and who will not be mislead ?
This doesn't change anything that Romans 1 clearly asserts. This is just one more warning about being deceived, by just one more of the many tools in Satan's toolbox (false teachers). And this warning would seem to be directed more so at CHRISTIANS, as false teachings can lead one into many unfortunate actions. Nonetheless, note all those people in the OT that God repeatedly warned about this and that - and yet they continued to do so. So why did He warn THOSE people as well? As typically, they did not heed His warnings and subsequently felt His wrath and condemnation. And yet, he well knew of their ultimate choices when He warned them. So, what is different in the passage referenced?

Also (" when it is already foreknown who will and who will not be mislead"), I do hope we're not questioning here that God does indeed know ALL - and has ALWAYS known precisely all - of whom will ultimately be saved and will respond, at some point, to His wooing, nudging and help - as well as all who will NEVER do so. You're not questioning that, are you, Paul? God is either all-knowing or not. Scripture says He is. And so that He would warn those that ignored the warnings can be found throughout Scripture - not just in Romans 1. So, are you questioning that Romans 1 isn't true, or that it means something other than it plainly says?
Actually, the Romans part I addressed BEFORE those passages when I mentioned that believing in God does NOT mean one is saved ( since many believed in A God and that didn't make them Christians or even Jews) and, IMO, Paul's comment in regards to God making Himself known and no one has an excuse is applicable to being righteous:
18 For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men who suppress the truth in unrighteousness, 19 because that which is known about God is evident within them; for God made it evident to them. 20 For since the creation of the world His invisible attributes, His eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly seen, being understood through what has been made, so that they are without excuse. 21 For even though they knew God, they did not honor Him as God or give thanks, but they became futile in their speculations, and their foolish heart was darkened. 22 Professing to be wise, they became fools, 23 and exchanged the glory of the incorruptible God for an image in the form of corruptible man and of birds and four-footed animals and crawling creatures.

24 Therefore God gave them over in the lusts of their hearts to impurity, so that their bodies would be dishonored among them. 25 For they exchanged the truth of God for a lie, and worshiped and served the creature rather than the Creator, who is blessed forever. Amen.

26 For this reason God gave them over to degrading passions; for their women exchanged the natural function for that which is unnatural, 27 and in the same way also the men abandoned the natural function of the woman and burned in their desire toward one another, men with men committing indecent acts and receiving in their own persons the due penalty of their error.

28 And just as they did not see fit to acknowledge God any longer, God gave them over to a depraved mind, to do those things which are not proper, 29 being filled with all unrighteousness, wickedness, greed, evil; full of envy, murder, strife, deceit, malice; they are gossips, 30 slanderers, haters of God, insolent, arrogant, boastful, inventors of evil, disobedient to parents, 31 without understanding, untrustworthy, unloving, unmerciful; 32 and although they know the ordinance of God, that those who practice such things are worthy of death, they not only do the same, but also give hearty approval to those who practice them.
Note that Paul is NOT addressing those that do NOT believe in God per say, but those that knew God:
For even though they knew God, they did not honor Him as God or give thanks, but they became futile in their speculations, and their foolish heart was darkened.
This is a comment against those that KNOW and REJECT God, not those that have yet to understand who God truly is and His true Gospel.
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Post by Kurieuo »

Romans 1 applies to those who suppress the a knowledge of God (Romans 1:18-19).

I believe the Gospel can be still heard without someone bringing it to them.
Ingredients are a heart for God, knowledge of God and then God's revealing.
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)
Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

This is a comment against those that KNOW and REJECT God, not those that have yet to understand who God truly is and His true Gospel.
That's a creative interpretation, but, I believe, is an incorrect one. Paul does not distinguish such a thing - not to mention he says that this basic knowledge of God has been around "since the creation of the world" and he uses the term "people" inclusively, even ending with "people" are without excuse. Not any certain people and not any specific group of people. You've read into the Scripture your interpretation of it. And when Scripture states, "it is the power of God that brings salvation to everyone who believes: first to the Jew, then to the Gentile, does that not suggest that no Gentiles were saved before Peter preached the Gospel to Cornelius? Remember, Peter didn't even realize that Gentiles COULD be saved. We've got no one being saved (post Jesus' Resurrection) until Cornelius and those with him. We've got not one example of anyone being saved without first hearing the Gospel. We've got many OT examples of heathens being condemned - these were people without even The Law of Moses.

Anyway, those insisting salvation apart from hearing the Gospel have no Scripture to back that up - it's mere speculation. And, to me, Romans 10:15 strongly suggests it's not possible.
melanie
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by melanie »

Absolutely God has condemned people that have never heard the gospel. This notion that every single person who never heard the gospel gets an automatic pass into heaven is not at all what I or I believe others are suggesting. This is exactly what I was meaning when I said that that gives the false impression that we are better off not evangelising to anyone, especially the missionaries in remote locations as they are better off not hearing and being saved. I just don't think this argument holds up. And would only be the case if it was being suggested that every single person who has never heard the gospel goes to heaven. Is it really any different to God knowing those that truly belong to Him who claim to be christian? We know from scripture and life experience that many people claim to be christian but they have never truly trusted. Is God at a loss as to what to do? Well they said they were, they went to church, so every professing christians gets on the eternity train. It's not like that. We know that. God sees straight into our hearts and knows our intent. Why is it so hard to believe that God could use this same all encompassing knowledge and extend it to those that never had the opportunity to hear the gospel.

I think it is a very one dimensial view to say 'well look at the world we live in today, with the Internet ect, there are very few people who haven't heard, so this argument doesn't really hold up'. Well hold on one minute....
The nature of this global community we now live in is a very new phenomenon, we can look back over the last couple thousand years and see how there are many countries and communities that would have zero exposure to the gospel, to the tune of billions of people over the centuries. To suggest with absolute certainty to a world of people who want to know what happened to all these people according to Christianity that they all went to hell is damaging far beyond what I think we realise. This type of attitude turns people away from wanting a relationship with Christ in droves. Now what if we are wrong? I think the best answer is 'we don't know, all we can do is trust Gods wisdom but what we do know is that right now we are speaking about Jesus so you and I don't have the same concern as those that never heard because we have'.

Scripture is clear
If you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.
No where in scripture does it mention babies, children or mentally handicapped. I don't think it can be said they are sinless, except in the case of babies and extremely handicapped. Children lie, steal, cheat and they know it's wrong. But no-one is suggesting that a seven year old is burning in the pits of hell for stealing a Mars bar. Scripture does not say 'all children escape judgment and go to heaven' or the mentally disabled. But we know that our loving God makes allowances for children and mentally challenged people, why? Because of His nature. We assume that God's nature would always ensure that every judgment of eternity is done in complete perfect fairness. But yet the exclusivist would argue that the inclusive idea that those that have never heard scripture still have a chance of salvation is non biblical whilst still adhering to the salvation of children and mentally handicapped which is also not represented in scripture. The same assumtions are being made on Gods character and absolute fairness but to differing degrees.
This is why I won't sit in the exclusive camp because they use this assumption to back their own ideas but to condemn another's and I won't sit in the inclusive camp because they take this assumtion often further than I am personally comfortable with.

Now imagine I am talking to a an Aboriginal/Koori man, he asks me what about all the aboriginals who have died never hearing the gospel. Keeping in mind few things, firstly that ancestral connection is an integral part of Koori culture and because of Australia's geographical location up untill only a couple hundred years ago they were completely isolated, not a chance of a bible sneaking in anywhere or a missionary. Also it is argued that Aboriginals have been here for anywhere between 40,000 to 60,000 years, a bloody long time, we are talking about a lot of people and a lot of souls, even if we just take into account a couple thousand years since Jesus.
So I answer this man in the mindset of an exclusivist 'well they are all in hell', and the man responds well that's not fair, they never even had a chance. I reply well you see that's how God intended it, your ancestors were geographically placed here because they were never going to accept Jesus anyway. The man says so God placed countless ancestors of mine on this land, knowing they never had a chance of salvation so that they could all end up for eternity in hell. Would it not have been better for them to not have been born at all?
I reply well, they aren't actually all in hell, my bad, the mentally handicapped and the children escaped such a predicament.
Right says the man, so only those unfortunate or as it would seem fortunate enough to die in youth or be mentally challenged went to heaven.
Yep, that about sums it up.
Well I don't know if I like the sound of a God that operates like that
And the icing on the cake, well sir, none of us deserve to go to heaven, we are all guilty, just like your ancestors and derserve Hell, but Jesus died on the cross for us, so that we might have eternal life.
Well he sure as hell didn't die on that cross for any of my ancestors now did he?

I have read about and spoken to people who have asked these questions and got similar type responses. Do you think they embraced christianity? I was reading of a missionary who had been doing work in China, an elderly gentlemen spoke to this lady of an encounter he had with a missionary some years earlier where has was asking about his ancestors and was told they were all in hell. Even though something was drawing him to God and christianity for many years, he could never accept what this missionary told him, and rejected that kind of God. It wasn't until this lady spoke to him of Gods perfect fairness and perfect love that this man was able to embrace where his heart was leading him.

It is damaging to use our assumtions on something so vitally important when sharing with others the message of Christ. People come to forums like this with these kinds of questions, and we are representing Jesus and His message. I ask again, what if we are wrong? What if this wrong assumptions puts a barrier between a person and Jesus?
It is not only OK to say 'I dont know', I think its vitally crucial to do so!
Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

Melanie: "The man says so God placed countless ancestors of mine on this land, knowing they never had a chance of salvation so that they could all end up for eternity in hell. Would it not have been better for them to not have been born at all?"
I do know that what you have written above is an inaccurate analogy of what I assert may well be true. It is very likely that God looks at it as a situation of being that man's ancestors DID indeed have an opportunity for salvation but that they rejected the real God (even though they did not have a COMPLETE understanding of Him) and instead made up gods of their own choosing. And because they did this, God refused them the Gospel. And, to God, all future things are as if they just happened yesterday. This is why those whose names are written in the Book of Life were always known to God before they even existed. Again, Romans speaks of those perishing for rejecting God as having only basic but key understandings of Him - but even those understandings were responded to with rejection, so they are without excuse. So, if God foreknew that such people would instead NOT have (one day) rejected at least what He had provided them about Himself, then He would have placed them in time and history and given them what they needed to know so as to be saved. And so those basic understandings God gave such people of Himself - THOSE understandings that they nonetheless rejected and disobeyed WERE their opportunity. The opportunity to accept or reject need not begin with or even include knowledge of Christ. And THAT is the common misconception.

Also, when it comes to children and the mentally handicapped, you are confusing things by comparing them to those without the Gospel. Those without the Gospel CAN seek and honor God (Cornelius did!) and such people CAN and DO have the mature capacity to understand their sins in relation to their God-given conscience (as mature adults) that accuse them. Children and the mentally ill do not have and NOT yet have the mature capacity to understand what makes them guilty before God - a mature awareness of His existence and their own sin in relation to their God-given consciences. Again, children, the mentally ill are not considered as are adults because God doesn't punish for what people are INCAPABLE of doing. But a man without the Gospel CAN honor and obey God, he CAN seek Him, He does not have to flee, ignore or reject Him. And such a person can know exactly what he is doing in relation to what basic understandings and conscience knowledge of sin he has - while children and the mentally ill cannot. So your categories analogies do not hold up.
melanie
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by melanie »

Philip wrote:
Melanie: "The man says so God placed countless ancestors of mine on this land, knowing they never had a chance of salvation so that they could all end up for eternity in hell. Would it not have been better for them to not have been born at all?"
I do know that what you have written above is an inaccurate analogy of what I assert may well be true. It is very likely that God looks at it as a situation of being that man's ancestors DID indeed have an opportunity for salvation but that they rejected the real God (even though they did not have a COMPLETE understanding of Him) and instead made up gods of their own choosing. And because they did this, God refused them the Gospel. And, to God, all future things are as if they just happened yesterday. This is why those whose names are written in the Book of Life were always known to God before they even existed. Again, Romans speaks of those perishing for rejecting God as having only basic but key understandings of Him - but even those understandings were responded to with rejection, so they are without excuse. So, if God foreknew that such people would instead NOT have (one day) rejected at least what He had provided them about Himself, then He would have placed them in time and history and given them what they needed to know so as to be saved. And so those basic understandings God gave such people of Himself - THOSE understandings that they nonetheless rejected and disobeyed WERE their opportunity. The opportunity to accept or reject need not begin with or even include knowledge of Christ. And THAT is the common misconception.

Also, when it comes to children and the mentally handicapped, you are confusing things by comparing them to those without the Gospel. Those without the Gospel CAN seek and honor God (Cornelius did!) and such people CAN and DO have the mature capacity to understand their sins in relation to their God-given conscience (as mature adults) that accuse them. Children and the mentally ill do not have and NOT yet have the mature capacity to understand what makes them guilty before God - a mature awareness of His existence and their own sin in relation to their God-given consciences. Again, children, the mentally ill are not considered as are adults because God doesn't punish for what people are INCAPABLE of doing. But a man without the Gospel CAN honor and obey God, he CAN seek Him, He does not have to flee, ignore or reject Him. And such a person can know exactly what he is doing in relation to what basic understandings and conscience knowledge of sin he has - while children and the mentally ill cannot. So your categories analogies do not hold up.
I don't have the time right now to respond in any depth but phil you have not raised anything new. You are using your assumptions, that's fine, we all do, to discredit my assumptions when after all assumptions are the mother of all mistakes.
I reject your assumption that God placed aboriginals or whoever in their geographical position so as not to expose them to the gospel, or that God deliberately withheld the gospel from them for thousands of years. This idea is not found anywhere in scripture, you are mealy trying to make sense of a very poignant, important question with I think less than adequate explanations.