Modest Dress and Headcoverings: Male Response?

Discussion for Christian perspectives on ethical issues such as abortion, euthanasia, sexuality, and so forth.
Judah
Advanced Senior Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Female

Post by Judah »

Yes, but I forgot to mention who a plumber is - or does.

More info for Turgy:

A plumber is a person who fits and repairs pipes and fixtures for water, drainage, or gas systems.
The word comes from Old French plommier meaning a worker in lead. These days lead is something of a no-no in many cases due to the contamination of the water that it holds or which passes through it, but that is from where my dictionary tells me the word is derived. I've just noticed that the word plumber is rather appropriate in that case, the abbreviation for lead being Pb.

FFC inviting me to have a crack at explaining... here the word crack means to have a go at it.
Trying to turn the rusted up nut a crack meant to turn it a tiny bit.

Stringed musical instruments frequently have the note G as one of their strings, but don't get confused with the musical G string. I don't believe there is any relationship to its meaning here - unless FFC can think of one ???
(No FFC, better not even try!) :D
Turgonian
Christian: No

Post by Turgonian »

Thank you! I knew what a plumber was, but I didn't get the rest, because we don't have the same fashion in the Netherlands...I believe. I'll set my brain on the task. ;)
The Bible says they were "willingly ignorant". In the Greek, this means "be dumb on purpose". (Kent Hovind)
Gman
Old School
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by Gman »

Turgonian wrote:Thank you! I knew what a plumber was, but I didn't get the rest, because we don't have the same fashion in the Netherlands...I believe. I'll set my brain on the task. ;)
Turgy... I wouldn't if I were you.. :lol:
The heart cannot rejoice in what the mind rejects as false - Galileo

We learn from history that we do not learn from history - Georg Friedrich Wilhelm Hegel

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable, if anything is excellent or praiseworthy, think about such things. -Philippians 4:8
FFC
Prestigious Senior Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by FFC »

Stringed musical instruments frequently have the note G as one of their strings, but don't get confused with the musical G string. I don't believe there is any relationship to its meaning here - unless FFC can think of one ???
(No FFC, better not even try!)

Judah, have you ever held a blade of grass between your fingers and blew? It makes a rather high pitched whistle...combine that theory with your previous ode to flatulence, add a g-string, and you may have some interesting music indeed. :lol:

I'm sorry, I couldn't resist.
"Faith sees the invisible, believes the unbelievable, and receives the impossible." - Corrie Ten Boom

Act 9:6
And he trembling and astonished said, Lord, what wilt thou have me to do?
Gman
Old School

Post by Gman »

FFC wrote:
(No FFC, better not even try!)

Judah, have you ever held a blade of grass between your fingers and blew? It makes a rather high pitched whistle...combine that theory with your previous ode to flatulence, add a g-string, and you may have some interesting music indeed. :lol:

I'm sorry, I couldn't resist.
LOL... :lol: :lol: :lol: Then add a can of beans and you would have yourself a referee without the need for a whistle... I don't think he would be too popular to hire in games though... :lol:

We learn from history that we do not learn from history - Georg Friedrich Wilhelm Hegel

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable, if anything is excellent or praiseworthy, think about such things. -Philippians 4:8
FFC

Post by FFC »

G-man wrote:LOL... Then add a can of beans and you would have yourself a referee without the need for a whistle... I don't think he would be too popular to hire in games though...
But thank goodness the stadium is full of fans. (someone may have to explain this one to Turgy :wink: )
"Faith sees the invisible, believes the unbelievable, and receives the impossible." - Corrie Ten Boom

Gman
Old School

Post by Gman »

Ouch... Yes, but the fans are in a stadium are they not? Where dosth the wind blowith but around and around? :lol:
Judah wrote:G-strings are very scanty, exceedingly scanty, underwear that basically covers nothing at the back and only the barest essentials in the front.
The strategically placed fig leaf is an attempt at modesty, presumed to be how the suddenly self-aware and highly embarrassed Adam and Eve tried to cover themselves.
I think Turgy probably gets it by now, but if this helps, try imagining a man wearing dental floss for underwear...

Judah
Advanced Senior Member

Post by Judah »

Oh my goodness, you gentlemen are entertaining but quite incorrigible! :roll:
And I've just come away from posting something quite uplifting to my Journal to do with music also - see entries for Nov 11 and Nov 9.

Getting back to modesty and head coverings (from immodesty and bottom uncoverings) there has been quite a lot of talk going on about that Muslim school teacher in Britain losing her job for not removing her veil in the classroom. Apparently it was hard to hear her speak through it. And in a recent court case a judge had to adjourn the session because he couldn't hear properly what the veiled one was saying. The court began again with another judge - presumably one who can hear words spoken through cloth. One Muslimah said that integration is all about allowing Muslimahs to continue wearing the veil without discrimination. That certainly sounds like one way to spin a yarn.
Turgonian

Post by Turgonian »

Sorry, FFC, I didn't see your exhortation to refrain until it was too late. :lol:

Here comes...a real sonnet.

G-strung plumber

The plumber came, he saw, he went to work.
Now he would straighten, wipe his brow and frown,
Then he would grab his tools, and screw or jerk
At plumbing. As he bent, his jeans went down.

I do not joke about one's underwear,
For gentlemen avoid that sort of thing.
It also helped his butt was nearly bare;
He only wore a certain type of string.

It is the latest fashion, I assume,
But still this new experience was numbing.
I started thinking of that crack of doom:
What was the state of his interior plumbing?

Without the small protection of his jeans,
I hoped the plumber hadn't eaten beans.
The Bible says they were "willingly ignorant". In the Greek, this means "be dumb on purpose". (Kent Hovind)
FFC

Post by FFC »

Turgonian wrote:Sorry, FFC, I didn't see your exhortation to refrain until it was too late. :lol:

Here comes...a real sonnet.

G-strung plumber

The plumber came, he saw, he went to work.
Now he would straighten, wipe his brow and frown,
Then he would grab his tools, and screw or jerk
At plumbing. As he bent, his jeans went down.

I do not joke about one's underwear,
For gentlemen avoid that sort of thing.
It also helped his butt was nearly bare;
He only wore a certain type of string.

It is the latest fashion, I assume,
But still this new experience was numbing.
I started thinking of that crack of doom:
What was the state of his interior plumbing?

Without the small protection of his jeans,
I hoped the plumber hadn't eaten beans.
Very good, Turgy, I can almost hear the music. :lol:

Judah
Advanced Senior Member

Post by Judah »

Yep Turgy, that is a real sonnet. Very inspirational! :D

To conclude the poetry component (er, unless someone really wants very badly to resurrect it, that is) here is my final stanza to the lazy pseudo-ode begun several posts above.

There he stood, his jeans half-mast
Her own expression quite aghast
His lack of underwear a sorry sight
Yet it must surely serve him right
If plumbers want to have a crack
They really ought to wear a sack.

Right, now something more relevant to the original post...

Teacher who refused to remove veil wins £1,100 for hurt feelings
Mrs Azmi, from Dewsbury, had appeared without her veil at her interview for the job as an ethnic minority achievement curriculum support assistant.
She said she was "caught unawares" because she thought a woman would assess her and was willing to remove her veil in front of children providing male colleagues were not present.
After her suspension for failing to comply with management instruction, she brought a test case under the Employment Equality (Religion or Belief) Regulations 2004. She said: "It is clear that discrimination has taken place and I am disappointed the tribunal has not been able to uphold that part of my claim.
"I am pleased the tribunal recognised the victimising way in which the school and local education authority have handled this matter and the distress that has caused me."
The panel awarded her £1,000 for injured feelings with an extra 10 per cent because statutory grievance procedures had not been complied with. It found she had not been directly or indirectly discriminated against on religious grounds or treated detrimentally because she was bringing a claim. But it did find she had been subjected to a course of conduct which created an intimidating, hostile, degrading, humiliating or offensive environment for her.
Asked whether she would ever take off her veil if males were present, she replied: "No. I teach perfectly well with my veil on. Just give it a chance — that's what I call integration."
Kirklees council said: "The education of the children is of paramount importance. . . the tribunal has agreed that the action taken was correct."
Judah
Advanced Senior Member

Post by Judah »

Dutch government backs burqa ban
The BBC wrote:The Dutch cabinet has backed a proposal by the country's immigration minister to ban Muslim women from wearing the burqa in public places.
The burqa, a full body covering that also obscures the face, would be banned by law in the street, and in trains, schools, buses and the law courts.
The cabinet said burqas disturb public order, citizens and safety.
The decision comes days ahead of elections which the ruling centre-right coalition is expected to win.
Immigration Minister Rita Verdonk, who is known for her tough policies, said it was important that all people in the Netherlands were able to see and identify each other clearly to promote integration and tolerance.
Last year a majority of MPs in the Dutch parliament said they were in favour of a ban.
An estimated 6% of 16 million people living in the Netherlands are Muslims.
But there are thought to be fewer than 100 women who choose to wear the burqa, a traditional Islamic form of dress.

Civil rights debate
The latest move came after an expert committee judged that it would not contravene Dutch law.
Other forms of face coverings, such as crash helmets with visors that obscure the face, would also be covered by a legal ban.
Ms Verdonk insisted the burqa was not an acceptable part of public life in the Netherlands.
"The Cabinet finds it undesirable that face-covering clothing - including the burqa - is worn in public places for reasons of public order, security and protection of citizens," she said.
Critics of the proposed ban say it would violate civil rights.
The main Muslim organisation in the Netherlands, CMO, said the plan was an "over-reaction to a very marginal problem", the Associated Press reported.
But the minister told the BBC that social interaction would be easier if faces were not covered.
"It is very important that we can see each other and can communicate with each other. Because we are so tolerant we want to respect each other."

Tension
The issue of the type of clothing worn by Muslim women has become a hotly-debated subject in a range of European countries.
France has passed a law banning religious symbols, including Muslim headscarves, from schools.
Some German states ban teachers in public schools from wearing headscarves, but there is no blanket rule against burqas.
Italy has banned face-coverings, resurrecting old laws passed to combat domestic terrorism, while citing new security fears.
The issue of Muslim women's dress also surfaced in the UK, where former Foreign Secretary Jack Straw said women should not wear the veil.
The Dutch relationship with its Muslim community has been under scrutiny since the murder of film-maker Theo van Gogh by Islamic extremists in November 2004.
Earlier this year Ms Verdonk clashed with a minority party in the governing coalition over her handling of the citizenship case of Somali-born Dutch MP Ayaan Hirsi Ali.
The MP scripted a controversial film about the treatment of women in Islamic society, directed by van Gogh before he was killed.
But she admitted lying on her 1992 application for Dutch citizenship, and Ms Verdonk initially called for the MP to be deported.
LadyHel
Acquainted Member

Post by LadyHel »

Erm... I'm not male, but for reasons that I can't be bothered to discuss here, it's probably appropriate for me to post on this.
It depends. Personally, I find kids who haven't gone through puberty dressing like they're on the pull one of the most disturbing things ever. On the other hand "modest dressing" is often escapism and hiding form the world. It often denotes a lack of confidence with your body and that's not right either.
I like wearing short skirts and tight tops sometimes, because I like my body. I wear the clothes for me, not for anybody else.
I suppose that's the point. It's who you're doing it for. If you do it because you like the way it makes you look, that's fine. If you're doing it because you think somebody will like you more for it, that's not.

It's the difference between caking your face in a mask of foundation, and using a bright eyeshadow that draws attention to you and highlights your eyes.
Turgonian

Post by Turgonian »

LadyHel wrote:On the other hand "modest dressing" is often escapism and hiding form the world. It often denotes a lack of confidence with your body and that's not right either.
No it doesn't. The people I know who dress modestly (quite a lot of people) have no confidence problems whatsoever. Apparently they are so confident that they expect to be accepted wearing modest clothes.
oscarsiziba
Recognized Member

Re: Modest Dress and Headcoverings: Male Response?

Post by oscarsiziba »

One writer says of fashion:'Fashion taxes without reason and collects without mercy'.
Women as well as men have great accountability for the way they dress and behave as no action has no bearing on the life of another-even the smallest action.Bathsheba was very right to bath,but her small act of wantonness was cause of David's big sin.Behold how a small action has bigger repercussions!
I would say to men and women-dress in a way that would not make you blush if Jesus visited you or opened your wardrobe.The redeemed are pictured as putting on robes(what does that indicate)?
God help us. 8)
Like Balaam, they are angry at those who would prevent their ruin.