Next Pope: the Devil

Discussions on Christian eschatology including different views pertaining to Jesus' second coming, rapture and tribulation, the millennium, and so forth.
Byblos
Old School
Christian: Yes

Re: Next Pope: the Devil

Post by Byblos »

Kurieuo wrote:
Alain wrote:
oscarsiziba wrote:The disciple Peter was not the first pope,that is the hijack by the Catholic church to deceive.
Matthew 16:18 And I tell you , you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my Church and the powers of death shall not prevail against it. I will give you the keys of the Kingdom of Heaven and whatever you bind on earth shall be bound in heaven and whatever you loose on earth will be loosed in Heaven.
Welcome Alain. Not that I agree with the topic title, but how does this passage support the papacy or RCC?
Not that I mean to interfere (yeah right) but I figured you'd want the story straight from the horse's mouth so-to-speak.

Peter the Rock
Origins of Peter as Pope
Peter and the Papacy
Peter's Primacy

Papacy (general link with other stuff including the above).
Let us proclaim the mystery of our faith: Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again.

Lord I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Post by Kurieuo »

Byblos wrote:
Kurieuo wrote:
Alain wrote:
oscarsiziba wrote:The disciple Peter was not the first pope,that is the hijack by the Catholic church to deceive.
Matthew 16:18 And I tell you , you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my Church and the powers of death shall not prevail against it. I will give you the keys of the Kingdom of Heaven and whatever you bind on earth shall be bound in heaven and whatever you loose on earth will be loosed in Heaven.
Welcome Alain. Not that I agree with the topic title, but how does this passage support the papacy or RCC?
Not that I mean to interfere (yeah right) but I figured you'd want the story straight from the horse's mouth so-to-speak.

Peter the Rock
Origins of Peter as Pope
Peter and the Papacy
Peter's Primacy

Papacy (general link with other stuff including the above).
Thanks Byblos. :) I was expecting you to drop in. :wave:

Whatever translation of Matt 16:18 regarding Peter being a/the rock, it still does not follow that the RCC has any authority if Peter was "the" rock.

1. Peter was not in Rome
2. Peter did not start the RCC
3. Scripture does not state he was supreme over the other apostles - in fact, Paul disputed Peter
4. Nor was the RCC the only Christian church who could trace themselves back to the apostles. Montanists, for example, perhaps very much likened to Christian Pentecostals, also could.

Furthermore, if Christ is the chief cornerstone upon which the Church is built, then what of Peter being the rock on which Christ builds his Church? I don't think giving up this entitled position is something Christ could do. To do so is to set the Church itself is built upon foundations as fickle as man and as such someone unworthy. There is only One person who fits the following Scripture:
  • 6 For this is contained in Scripture:
    “Behold, I lay in Zion a choice stone, a precious corner stone,
    And he who believes in Him will not be disappointed.”
    7 This precious value, then, is for you who believe; but for those who disbelieve,
    “The stone which the builders rejected,
    This became the very corner stone,” (1 Peter 2:6-7)
Anyway, I will let you respond with the last say. I'm happy to agree to disagree.
Byblos
Old School

Post by Byblos »

Kurieuo wrote:Whatever translation of Matt 16:18 regarding Peter being a/the rock, it still does not follow that the RCC has any authority if Peter was "the" rock.
Well, if Peter was "the" rock appointed by Christ himself (and a very good case I believe is made to that end), and if Peter appointed a successor and that successor appointed another, and another, and that lineage is traced up to the present age in the papacy then it certainly follows that the RCC still carries Christ's authority on earth.
Kurieuo wrote:1. Peter was not in Rome
Was Peter in Rome?
Peter's Roman Residency
Kurieuo wrote:2. Peter did not start the RCC
See response above.
Kurieuo wrote:3. Scripture does not state he was supreme over the other apostles - in fact, Paul disputed Peter
Even if Paul disputed Peter, it doesn't mean he wasn't regarded as chief among them. Peter's Primacy.
This Rock - of particular interest is the following:
The chief theological principle running through all of these statements is the primacy of Peter and his position as the unifying leader of all Christendom. Few Catholic doctrines attract more critical attention than the primacy of Peter, and thus of his successor, the pope. But the scriptural and historical evidence in support of this belief is incontestable. Scriptural confirmation of Peter's primacy begins with John 1:42, wherein Christ first meets him and says, "You are Simon, the son of John; you shall be called Cephas." That is, Christ, who spoke to him in Aramaic, called Peter "Cephas" (or "Kepha"), which means "stone" or "rock." Christ had a special distinction in mind for Peter: Why else would he have given him a name never used at that time? While the other apostles enjoy significant charisms (charismata), none are singled out as Peter repeatedly is:

* Peter receives the first converts into the Church (Acts 2:41).
* Peter imposes the first ecclesiastical punishment (Acts 5:1).
* Peter performs the first miracle (Acts 3:1).
* Peter makes the first official ecclesiastical visit (Acts 9:32).
* Peter rendered the first dogmatic decision in the Church (Acts 15:7). It was Peter who, among the gathered apostles and presbyters, rendered the final decision regarding whether circumcision is necessary for salvation.
Kurieuo wrote:4. Nor was the RCC the only Christian church who could trace themselves back to the apostles. Montanists, for example, perhaps very much likened to Christian Pentecostals, also could.
Perhaps not but if the above claims are true it would make it the only church with a direct mandate from Christ and the only church with the promise of guidance by the Holy Spirit (i.e. infallibility).

Kurieuo wrote:Furthermore, if Christ is the chief cornerstone upon which the Church is built, then what of Peter being the rock on which Christ builds his Church? I don't think giving up this entitled position is something Christ could do. To do so is to set the Church itself is built upon foundations as fickle as man and as such someone unworthy. There is only One person who fits the following Scripture:
  • 6 For this is contained in Scripture:
    “Behold, I lay in Zion a choice stone, a precious corner stone,
    And he who believes in Him will not be disappointed.”
    7 This precious value, then, is for you who believe; but for those who disbelieve,
    “The stone which the builders rejected,
    This became the very corner stone,” (1 Peter 2:6-7)
Christ is the corner stone of salvation, without whom there can be no hope. But Christ is not physically here with us so he established a visible church to 1) administer to the faithful and, most importantly, 2) execute the great commission. The church is the visible part of Christ's primacy. She is his bride, not his substitute.
Kurieuo wrote:Anyway, I will let you respond with the last say. I'm happy to agree to disagree.
And I'm happy to answer such questions when they come up. We can disagree on many things but I know we do at least agree on the highlighted above.
Let us proclaim the mystery of our faith: Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again.

Lord I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.
jlay
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by jlay »

Peter also had a wife. Heaven forbid.
Funny how just a few verses later Jesus says to Peter, ""Get behind me, Satan! You are a stumbling block to me; you do not have in mind the things of God, but the things of men." vs. 23

I guess if we take things out of context to establish traditions we could argue that Peter is Satan. We know that he is not. Yet many in the RCC want to liberally apply this verse (18) to prop up traditions of men, lineages and such. Sounds like another group in the Bible.
-“The Bible treated allegorically becomes putty in the hands of the exegete.” John Walvoord

"I'm not saying scientists don't overstate their results. They do. And it's understandable, too...If you spend years working toward a certain goal and make no progress, of course you are going to spin your results in a positive light." Ivellious
Byblos
Old School

Post by Byblos »

jlay wrote:Peter also had a wife. Heaven forbid.
Funny how just a few verses later Jesus says to Peter, ""Get behind me, Satan! You are a stumbling block to me; you do not have in mind the things of God, but the things of men." vs. 23

I guess if we take things out of context to establish traditions we could argue that Peter is Satan. We know that he is not. Yet many in the RCC want to liberally apply this verse (18) to prop up traditions of men, lineages and such. Sounds like another group in the Bible.
Nothing is taken out of context. In Mat 16:23 Peter had taken his eyes off of God and turned them towards the world of men. Jesus was simply rebuking him (as he had done numerous times before). He was simply setting him straight. That has more to do with the fallibility of men (popes included) than it does with Peter's role as the rock upon whom the physical church was to be built after the resurrection. And if you're comparing the church to the pharisees (as an organization), there is a huge difference. The pharisees didn't recognize the Christ whereas the church is centered around Him.

jlay
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by jlay »

Simply apply your proper understanding of v. 23 to v.18

Jesus just rebuked Peter why? You said because He had taken His eyes off of the Kingdom. Agreed.
And why did Jesus say He would build His church on this rock? Because of what Peter testified, saying He was the Christ. It was this confession of Peter, which we must all confess that the church will be built on. Peter spoke the truth, and it is this truth that the church is built on. Not papal lineages. But this isn't about Peter and his role. This is about trying to Lord something over others that has nothing to do with the cross of Christ. That is the kind of stuff the Pharisees were bragging about.
-“The Bible treated allegorically becomes putty in the hands of the exegete.” John Walvoord

"I'm not saying scientists don't overstate their results. They do. And it's understandable, too...If you spend years working toward a certain goal and make no progress, of course you are going to spin your results in a positive light." Ivellious
Byblos
Old School

Post by Byblos »

As a matter of policy (personal) I tend to stay away from debates about Catholicism on this board. I will answer specific questions or clear up misconceptions if I can but that's the extent of it. I am comfortable leaving it at that.