Understanding the Trinity

General discussions about Christianity including salvation, heaven and hell, Christian history and so on.
Christian2
Advanced Senior Member

Post by Christian2 »

To anyone,

I recently cited John 1:
1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2 He was in the beginning with God. 3 All things were made through Him, and without Him nothing was made that was made. 4 In Him was life, and the life was the light of men. 5 And the light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it.

14 And the Word became flesh and dwelt among us, and we beheld His glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father, full of grace and truth.
to a non-trinitarian as proof that the Word of God became flesh in Jesus.

He said that there is nothing to indicate Jesus is God Almighty in John 1 through 14.

I told him that God Almighty is Father, Son and Holy Spirit. and that I, as a Trinitarian, do not claim that Jesus is God Almighty. I claim that God's Word incarnated the human Jesus. I believe that is what the Scriptures above are saying.

He told me based on what I said that I am not a Trinitarian.

When someone asks me "is Jesus God Almighty," I immediately think that he is asking is Jesus Father, Son and Holy Spirit and Jesus is not the Trinity; the Father is not the Son, the Son is not the Father, the Holy Spirit is not the Father or the Son.

If I'm not a Trinitarian, then what am I? Where did I go wrong?

I am confused. Can anyone straighten me out, please?
YLTYLT
Established Member

Post by YLTYLT »

I am no expert, But...
It does not sound like your view of the Trinity is incorrect. As long as your view is that all 3 are infinite as well, and that all 3 are God, and that each one is God. (confusing .. I know but infinity cannot be increased
infinity + infinity + infinity = infinity)

It sounds to me that you and this other person may just have differing views of what "God Almighty" means. Some, as you do ,claim it to be only the Father. Some would claim it to be any one of the Trinity as this other person seems to think. I have not studied in full detail all the names of God and their meanings, so am not sure on this one myself.

Do you have verses to support that it means only the Father?

Or, Is there someone out there that can shed some light on this?
Christian2
Advanced Senior Member

Post by Christian2 »

YLTYLT wrote:I am no expert, But...
It does not sound like your view of the Trinity is incorrect. As long as your view is that all 3 are infinite as well, and that all 3 are God, and that each one is God. (confusing .. I know but infinity cannot be increased
infinity + infinity + infinity = infinity)

It sounds to me that you and this other person may just have differing views of what "God Almighty" means. Some, as you do ,claim it to be only the Father. Some would claim it to be any one of the Trinity as this other person seems to think. I have not studied in full detail all the names of God and their meanings, so am not sure on this one myself.

Do you have verses to support that it means only the Father?

Or, Is there someone out there that can shed some light on this?
Thanks. I do feel a bit better. Since this guy is not trinitarian I do believe that he does have a different view of what 'God Almighty' means.

I don't claim that only the Father is God Almighty. I claim that God Almighty is God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit.
Byblos
Old School
Christian: Yes

Post by Byblos »

Christian2 wrote:God Almighty is God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit.
That's the one.