Local Flood vs Global Flood

Discussion about scientific issues as they relate to God and Christianity including archaeology, origins of life, the universe, intelligent design, evolution, etc.
Gman
Old School
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: Local Flood vs Global Flood

Post by Gman »

Kenny wrote: So do you think if God hadn't sent the flood to kill all of mankind (except Noah and family) Man kind would have destroyed himself?

Ken
Sure.. Let's look at the record.

Genesis 6:5; 11 The Lord saw how great the wickedness of the human race had become on the earth, and that every inclination of the thoughts of the human heart was only evil all the time. 6 The Lord regretted that he had made human beings on the earth, and his heart was deeply troubled. 11 Now the earth was corrupt in God’s sight and was full of violence. 12 God saw how corrupt the earth had become, for all the people on earth had corrupted their ways.

While the text doesn't say they would have destroyed themselves, the human heart was evil all the time which isn't good. Probably much like having a bunch of murders at hand dominating over others.
The heart cannot rejoice in what the mind rejects as false - Galileo

We learn from history that we do not learn from history - Georg Friedrich Wilhelm Hegel

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable, if anything is excellent or praiseworthy, think about such things. -Philippians 4:8
bippy123
Prestigious Senior Member
Christian: Yes
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by bippy123 »

For me I'm an old earth creationist who is still open minded and i lean towards a local flood but I'm open to a global one as well. Do I sound confused :mrgreen:
My one question on the global flood is that there were people in other lands that did not yet receive knowledge of God, so maybe scripture when talking about the world was talking about the world of the Hebrews and their neighbors.

Like I said I'm open to both interpretations and this is why I consider a thread like this fun and informative and it allows us to think.
Kenny
Ultimate Member
Christian: No
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Post by Kenny »

Gman wrote:
Kenny wrote: So do you think if God hadn't sent the flood to kill all of mankind (except Noah and family) Man kind would have destroyed himself?

Ken
Sure.. Let's look at the record.

Genesis 6:5; 11 The Lord saw how great the wickedness of the human race had become on the earth, and that every inclination of the thoughts of the human heart was only evil all the time. 6 The Lord regretted that he had made human beings on the earth, and his heart was deeply troubled. 11 Now the earth was corrupt in God’s sight and was full of violence. 12 God saw how corrupt the earth had become, for all the people on earth had corrupted their ways.

While the text doesn't say they would have destroyed themselves, the human heart was evil all the time which isn't good. Probably much like having a bunch of murders at hand dominating over others.
Yeah; then he allowed Noah and his family, along with their sinful nature to repopulate the Earth. It was just a matter of time before the same thing happened when he allowed Adam and Eve along with their sinful nature to repopulate the Earth. Just seems a lot could have been saved had he taken Noah and family to heaven at that time. What do you think?

Ken
RickD wrote
"What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence".