Miraculous healings today

General discussions about Christianity including salvation, heaven and hell, Christian history and so on.
Audie
Ultimate Member
Christian: No
Sex: Female
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Re: Miraculous healings today

Post by Audie »

RickD wrote:
crochet1949 wrote:
RickD wrote:
crochet1949 wrote:
RickD wrote:I had a really humongous hemorrhoid that was killing me. I had the pastor lay hands on it and anoint it with oil.

It's still there.

Your pastor actually laid his hands on the hemorrhoid? :shakehead:

I've had problems in that area for a long time, too.

Sometimes our healing comes in heaven -- Not here on earth. We'd Like to see the healing happen Here.
I even tried hemorrhoid massage therapy and acupuncture. Neither worked.

I'm Almost afraid to as this -- but, massage therapy for THAT? Acupuncture I can almost believe. :shakehead:
I even asked the lovely nurse to kiss it and make it better...

Eeewwwwh.
Audie
Ultimate Member

Post by Audie »

crochet1949 wrote:
Audie wrote:
Jac3510 wrote:Lots of denominations are deeply divided over miracles/gifts today. I'd like to share my own views (as one who came out of a cessationist background), but in the meantime, here's a piece to get converastion going. Two short videos (both just over five minutes each):

https://www.cmalliance.org/video/watch/30048/
https://www.cmalliance.org/video/watch/30046/

In general, I'm curious about y'all's thoughts on healing today in general and your thoughts on the story here in particular. And just by way of disclaimer regarding motivation, these videos were displayed at our district conference this year (we have one annually). It's pretty typical of what I've seen elsewhere, both in my church and outside of it, and I thought it was a good representation and could put actual names/faces to otherwise abstract theological arguments.

Thoughts?
I think I want the ama to document a limb growing back.

A while back on another thread - you'd commented about 'a limb growing back' -- maybe it was the same subject and you were showing your skepticism -- and Maybe it was another skeptic and not you, personally. And , maybe it was someone in another country showing that someone's leg Did appear to be growing back.
But - if that Was possible -- there would be no need for artificial limbs to be made to replace those lost through 'whatever' means they were lost.
Just my 2 cents worth.
I've known people who simply Won't accept even the possibility of miracles. Because it Does imply the existence of a higher power.
Ive known people who are even stupider than that. So....?
crochet1949
Esteemed Senior Member
Christian: Yes
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by crochet1949 »

Audie wrote:
crochet1949 wrote:
Audie wrote:
Jac3510 wrote:Lots of denominations are deeply divided over miracles/gifts today. I'd like to share my own views (as one who came out of a cessationist background), but in the meantime, here's a piece to get converastion going. Two short videos (both just over five minutes each):

In general, I'm curious about y'all's thoughts on healing today in general and your thoughts on the story here in particular. And just by way of disclaimer regarding motivation, these videos were displayed at our district conference this year (we have one annually). It's pretty typical of what I've seen elsewhere, both in my church and outside of it, and I thought it was a good representation and could put actual names/faces to otherwise abstract theological arguments.

Thoughts?

A while back on another thread - you'd commented about 'a limb growing back' -- maybe it was the same subject and you were showing your skepticism -- and Maybe it was another skeptic and not you, personally. And , maybe it was someone in another country showing that someone's leg Did appear to be growing back.
But - if that Was possible -- there would be no need for artificial limbs to be made to replace those lost through 'whatever' means they were lost.
Just my 2 cents worth.
I've known people who simply Won't accept even the possibility of miracles. Because it Does imply the existence of a higher power.

Even stupider than What?
Audie
Ultimate Member

Post by Audie »

crochet1949 wrote:
Audie wrote:
crochet1949 wrote:
Audie wrote:

Thoughts?

Just my 2 cents worth.

Even stupider than What?
Reference is to your last sentence.
crochet1949
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by crochet1949 »

Okay -- my last sentence -- same question to you. Please expound.
Audie
Ultimate Member

Post by Audie »

crochet1949 wrote:Okay -- my last sentence -- same question to you. Please expound.
Sorry, I meant the last two.
crochet1949
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by crochet1949 »

Audie wrote:
crochet1949 wrote:Okay -- my last sentence -- same question to you. Please expound.
Sorry, I meant the last two.

Same comment -- please expound.
jpbg33
Sex: Male

Post by jpbg33 »

I believe and know that God heals today

Frankly if you do not believe in miracles or that all the gifts of the spirit are presently being used in Christians lives to day then you do not really believe the bible.

Every gift is not given to every Christian but every gift is being use in Christians lives across the world.

According to the bible most people are not Christians and that only a few will make it, that is why we are not seeing miracles every where.

Anyone can call them selves Christians but people can not make miracles happen or make the gifts of the spirit to be seen in there lives, because it is not people doing these things it is God doing these things through Christians. So instead of admitting that they are not Christians they just say that those things were only for Christians of the past,or they fake miracles and gifts to trick others into thinking they are Christians.

Healings and gifts are real and being use to day.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

jpbg wrote:
I believe and know that God heals today

Frankly if you do not believe in miracles or that all the gifts of the spirit are presently being used in Christians lives to day then you do not really believe the bible.
Here we go again! Will you ever stop telling people that disagree with you, that they don't really believe the Bible?

It's quite pathetic.

Let's be clear, so you won't keep making this mistake. All Christians here, well, almost all, believe the Bible. All Christians here, or almost all, disagree with you.

So stop saying you're the authority on interpretation!
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
jpbg33

Post by jpbg33 »

Actually all Christians believe the bible.

1Co 12:6  And there are diversities of operations, but it is the same God which worketh all in all. 
1Co 12:7  But the manifestation of the Spirit is given to every man to profit withal. 
1Co 12:8  For to one is given by the Spirit the word of wisdom; to another the word of knowledge by the same Spirit; 
1Co 12:9  To another faith by the same Spirit; to another the gifts of healing by the same Spirit; 

The bible says the gifts of the Spirit is given to everyone not just to people of the past.

I would rather be on the minority side then the majority side because the bible say few there be that find the right way.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

jac wrote:
Lots of denominations are deeply divided over miracles/gifts today. I'd like to share my own views (as one who came out of a cessationist background), but in the meantime, here's a piece to get converastion going. Two short videos (both just over five minutes each):
Jac,

When you said you came out of a cessationist background, do you mean you used to be cessationist, and you came out of that belief, and are now of the belief that all gifts still apply to believers?
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

-Edward R Murrow

Jac3510
Ultimate Member

Post by Jac3510 »

Broadly, yes. I used to be a cessationist. I am not any longer. I believe the gifts of the Spirit are still active in the church today. Hopefully I can offer some more thoughts both with reference to this and my OP a bit later this evening.
Proinsias wrote:I don't think you are hearing me. Preference for ice cream is a moral issue
And that, brothers and sisters, is the kind of foolishness you get people who insist on denying biblical theism. A good illustration of any as the length people will go to avoid acknowledging basic truths.
Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

jpbg: Frankly if you do not believe in miracles or that all the gifts of the spirit are presently being used in Christians lives to day then you do not really believe the bible.
Yes, there is the same SPIRIT, but that does not mean that people today still have ALL of the gifts. You have any documentation that someone healed a man lame from birth - the guy afterward sprinted down the street? Ever known a blind man to instantly have his sight restored? Anyone dead brought back to death? Etc? Where ARE these miracles being performed by people with such gifts? Why are they not all over Youtube? Why aren't these people world famous? When Jesus was doing these things in the backwater of Palestine, no TV, press, internet, etc. - he could hardly move about without great crowds. If there were just ONE person with such a gift, he'd be world famous. There would be NO doubt. Everyone would know his name! SO, WHERE ARE THESE SO GIFTED TODAY???!!!
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Jac3510 wrote:Broadly, yes. I used to be a cessationist. I am not any longer. I believe the gifts of the Spirit are still active in the church today. Hopefully I can offer some more thoughts both with reference to this and my OP a bit later this evening.
Ok, that's what I thought you meant, but wanted to be sure.

-Edward R Murrow

Kurieuo
Honored Member
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Post by Kurieuo »

Jac3510 wrote:Broadly, yes. I used to be a cessationist. I am not any longer. I believe the gifts of the Spirit are still active in the church today. Hopefully I can offer some more thoughts both with reference to this and my OP a bit later this evening.
I've never understood through-going cessationists.

I mean, it's always been logical to me, that if God is personal, then so too are his interactions with people which would be "supernatural". Furthermore, I'd counter those who say miracles aren't common -- sure the variety where you're healed and the like may not be so common -- but then the Holy Spirit ministering to people directly (even such a person might be unaware if they're quite dense, nonetheless the Holy Spirit guides such a person closing doors and opening others). All such counts as "miracles" in my opinion, they're just less obviously so since there are no bright lights in the sky.

That said, I do not believe the gifts given to the Apostles have, that we have such today. Though there is no reason as I see not to see such happen to same extent but it's just not the status quo or to be expected as I see things. They were responsible for laying down the foundations to Christ's church, so it was important God more directly lead and intervenes to help the Apostles -- "on this rock I'll build my church", Christ said to Peter. They certainly weren't left alone, as Christ promised, but were helped by the Holy Spirit.

Look forward to reading over your own post when you get to it Jac.
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)