Martial Arts; the coolest thing ever right?

This area is for friendly discussions only. Post in a more relaxed setting without fear of being attacked. No sensitive topics allowed and strictly no debating!
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: Martial Arts; the coolest thing ever right?

Post by RickD »

Storyteller wrote:
Byblos wrote:
PaulSacramento wrote:
Bluejay4 wrote:I'm hoping to become a kickboxer/mixed martial artist when I'm older, in fact I've already started my training. Do any of you guys practice martial arts? Jesus vs Raphael in a MMA match who would win?(please don't ban me for this)
I have a 3rd degree BB in Kyokushin Karate and Okinawan Goju Ryu.
2nd degree BB in TKD and Judo.
I competed in full contact: Muay Thai, boxing and vale tudo and stick fighting.
I have teaching certification in:
Wing Chun, Kali/Escrima, Hung Kuen and Shinkage Ryu Bujutsu.
I also have experience in:
Southern and Northern Praying Mantis, Chen taiji, Aikido, Tenjin Shinyo ryu jujutsu, Tenshin Shoden katori Shinto ryu, Yagyu Shinkage ryu, Dog Brother MA and so forth.

Been doing MA since 1978.
For a second I thought this was the how to combat terrorism thread. Remind me to never get on your bad side Paul. :mrgreen:
Was thinking the same thing. Or, Paul can go out in front. :mrgreen:
No. You go out in front, with your expert horseback riding falling skills.
:knight:
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Storyteller
Ultimate Member
Christian: No
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by Storyteller »

Only if you give me a bow and arrow.
Faith is a knowledge within the heart, beyond the reach of proof - Kahlil Gibran
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by PaulSacramento »

I fell in love with MA when I was a kid and never looked back.
It's been an amazing ride and I have trained in Europe, China and Japan and have friends in the MA that I have known for decades.
It's been a painful ride at times, the numerous broken bones and concussions and being choked out and hit with sticks have been worth it for sure.
BTW, firearms are also a MA, same goes for archery and spear work.
MA is about edged and impact weapons and firearms and to be a complete martial artist is to know all the aspects of combat.
The paradox is that the more you are exposed to fighting, the more experienced you get at it, the less you want to do it !
I often felt conflicted about my MA and my faith and then I read this:
Psalms 144:1
Praise be my Lord my Rock,
He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

:amen:

Of course, as my wife can attest, I am much more civilized and easy going since I found Our Lord, before that I was, well, I was very comfortable with violence ( still am to an extent).
Storyteller
Ultimate Member

Post by Storyteller »

Something tells me you have a few tales to tell :mrgreen:

Violence scares me, I don't like it, thats why Wing Chun appeals so much. That and the discipline.

One of my gradings went down in history. I was pushed beyond my limit, to the point I was physically sick but I kept going. Quit? Me? :shock: I am still proud of that grading.
Faith is a knowledge within the heart, beyond the reach of proof - Kahlil Gibran
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

Storyteller wrote:Something tells me you have a few tales to tell :mrgreen:

Violence scares me, I don't like it, thats why Wing Chun appeals so much. That and the discipline.

One of my gradings went down in history. I was pushed beyond my limit, to the point I was physically sick but I kept going. Quit? Me? :shock: I am still proud of that grading.
I've been exposed to a few different systems of wing chun ( Moy Yat, Ip Man's and Kulo village).
Depending on the teacher, WC can be one of the more violent MA/
Simple and direct it is, when TRAINED properly, one of the better systems in kung fu.
The problem is that, from what I have seen, it is rarely trained properly.
WC is one of those systems that MUST be trained not only with lots of sparring BUt lots of sparring VS outside systems.
Storyteller
Ultimate Member

Post by Storyteller »

PaulSacramento wrote:
Storyteller wrote:Something tells me you have a few tales to tell :mrgreen:

I've been exposed to a few different systems of wing chun ( Moy Yat, Ip Man's and Kulo village).
Depending on the teacher, WC can be one of the more violent MA/
Simple and direct it is, when TRAINED properly, one of the better systems in kung fu.
The problem is that, from what I have seen, it is rarely trained properly.
WC is one of those systems that MUST be trained not only with lots of sparring BUt lots of sparring VS outside systems.
My teacher has a direct line of teaching from Kernspecht and Leung Ting. He is ranked one of the top 40 in the world.
I cant even begin to describe how awesome he is.
Or how much WC has taught me.
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member
Sex: It's Complicated
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by Furstentum Liechtenstein »

:swhat: I am very much concerned by all this sabre-rattling among Christians! Martial Arts are Arts of WAR! It says it right there in the name!

y[-o< Oh, pleeeze Baby Jeesus, enlighten all these lost soles and let them not drone on about war games...

y0:) O! ...wood that youse awl be holey like me
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +
EssentialSacrifice
Advanced Senior Member

Post by EssentialSacrifice »

just a thought but ... how many holes do you have in you ? :target:
Trust the past to God’s mercy, the present to God’s love, and the future to God’s providence. -St Augustine
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

FL wrote:
Oh, pleeeze Baby Jeesus, enlighten all these lost soles and let them not drone on about war games...
Lost soles? Didn't your wife bring her shoe collection to Inuvutkatuk?
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member
Sex: It's Complicated
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by Furstentum Liechtenstein »

EssentialSacrifice wrote:just a thought but ... how many holes do you have in you ? :target:
I count 7.
RickD wrote:Lost soles? Didn't your wife bring her shoe collection to Inuvutkatuk?
:sleep:

I was attempting to be funny and not my usual annoying self. I also was attempting to link this topic on «Arts of War» with the one questioning the morality of drones.

Christianity really does need a bit more infused Buddhism, don't you think? Drones and Asian martial arts are equally reprehensible in the Buddha's view...

yp**==

PS...the shoe collection has stayed in the south...
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +
Bluejay4
Recognized Member

Post by Bluejay4 »

How about that 13 second knockout though!!!!!!!
“I fear no man. If you breathe oxygen, I do not fear you.” – Conor McGregor

"Of David. The LORD is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? The LORD is the stronghold of my life; of whom shall I be afraid?" - Psalms 27:1
Nessa
Ultimate Member

Post by Nessa »

Storyteller wrote:Only if you give me a bow and arrow.
download (1).png
download (1).png (438 Bytes) Viewed 3026 times
Bluejay4
Recognized Member

Post by Bluejay4 »

Ladies and Gentlemen we are live!!!!! From the place upstairs, God's throne room, for UFC 2000. And now it's time to begin our first round of the evening, five rounds for the UFC's flyweight division. Introducing first, fighting out of the blue corner!!! This man is a mixed martial artist with a professional record of 20 wins, zero losses. His height is 5'2 and weighing in at 125 pounds and fighting out of Nazareth, Israel...Jesus ''the living water'' Christ!!!

"Of David. The LORD is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? The LORD is the stronghold of my life; of whom shall I be afraid?" - Psalms 27:1
Nessa
Ultimate Member

Post by Nessa »

Bluejay4 wrote:Ladies and Gentlemen we are live!!!!! From the place upstairs, God's throne room, for UFC 2000. And now it's time to begin our first round of the evening, five rounds for the UFC's flyweight division. Introducing first, fighting out of the blue corner!!! This man is a mixed martial artist with a professional record of 20 wins, zero losses. His height is 5'2 and weighing in at 125 pounds and fighting out of Nazareth, Israel...Jesus ''the living water'' Christ!!!
Jesus seems to have lost some inches in his height since the first post and gained some pounds.

Too much time spent breaking bread maybe? y:-?
Bluejay4
Recognized Member

Post by Bluejay4 »

Nessa wrote:
Bluejay4 wrote:Ladies and Gentlemen we are live!!!!! From the place upstairs, God's throne room, for UFC 2000. And now it's time to begin our first round of the evening, five rounds for the UFC's flyweight division. Introducing first, fighting out of the blue corner!!! This man is a mixed martial artist with a professional record of 20 wins, zero losses. His height is 5'2 and weighing in at 125 pounds and fighting out of Nazareth, Israel...Jesus ''the living water'' Christ!!!
Jesus seems to have lost some inches in his height since the first post and gains some pounds y:-?

Too much time spent breaking bread maybe?
Hehe, I'd say less breaking bread but more adequate research. Really Jewish guys were quite small and thin, Jesus must've been a walking stick!