Acts 13:48

Discussions about the Bible, and any issues raised by Scripture.
1over137
Technical Admin
Christian: Yes
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided

Re: Acts 13:48

Post by 1over137 »

On the other hand, I have found this: http://www.arminianchronicles.com/2009/ ... -1348.html. There are good arguments too.
But examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
-- 1 Thessalonians 5:21

For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.
-- Philippians 1:6

#foreverinmyheart
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

Hana, the problem with reading scripture through a "Calvinist" lens, or "Arminian" lens, is that now there's a tendency to make the specific scripture fit into the theological box that one is filtering scripture through. Of course those who adhere to a specific system, certainly don't see it that way. And there's where a melee breaks out. :boxing: :duel: :comeon:
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Byblos
Old School

Post by Byblos »

RickD wrote:Hana, the problem with reading scripture through a "Calvinist" lens, or "Arminian" lens, is that now there's a tendency to make the specific scripture fit into the theological box that one is filtering scripture through. Of course those who adhere to a specific system, certainly don't see it that way. And there's where a melee breaks out. :boxing: :duel: :comeon:
Exactly. Like why is it always Calvinist or Arminianist? Why not Catholic-ist or SDA-ist for example (I'm looking after you too Bav, no worries).
Let us proclaim the mystery of our faith: Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again.

Lord I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Byblos wrote:
RickD wrote:Hana, the problem with reading scripture through a "Calvinist" lens, or "Arminian" lens, is that now there's a tendency to make the specific scripture fit into the theological box that one is filtering scripture through. Of course those who adhere to a specific system, certainly don't see it that way. And there's where a melee breaks out. :boxing: :duel: :comeon:
Exactly. Like why is it always Calvinist or Arminianist? Why not Catholic-ist or SDA-ist for example (I'm looking after you too Bav, no worries).
Byblos, it's never Catholic-ist, because we never have any real disagreements around here, involving Catholic stuff. :innocent:

And, as far as Seventh Day Advent-ist, from what I know, they don't like NFL football, because it's on Sundays. They prefer the college game, because it's on Saturday. Or, something like that, I think... :bag:
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

-Edward R Murrow

1over137
Technical Admin

Post by 1over137 »

RickD wrote: Hana, the problem with reading scripture through a "Calvinist" lens, or "Arminian" lens, is that now there's a tendency to make the specific scripture fit into the theological box that one is filtering scripture through.
I try to use my own eyes. Not specific lenses. All I strive for is consistency.
Byblos wrote: Like why is it always Calvinist or Arminianist? Why not Catholic-ist or SDA-ist for example?
Well, I am going to look into what Catholics and SDA-ists think about the verse 48.
Last edited by 1over137 on Tue May 01, 2012 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.

#foreverinmyheart
BavarianWheels
Prestigious Senior Member

Post by BavarianWheels »

Byblos wrote:Exactly. Like why is it always Calvinist or Arminianist? Why not Catholic-ist or SDA-ist for example (I'm looking after you too Bav, no worries).
:)
RickD wrote:And, as far as Seventh Day Advent-ist, from what I know, they don't like NFL football, because it's on Sundays. They prefer the college game, because it's on Saturday. Or, something like that, I think... :bag:
Uh...what? I love NFL Football...what does one have to do with the other?
Byblos
Old School

Post by Byblos »

RickD wrote:Byblos, it's never Catholic-ist, because we never have any real disagreements around here, involving Catholic stuff. :innocent:
How could you, there ain't nothin' to disagree about. :esurprised:
Let us proclaim the mystery of our faith: Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again.

Lord I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.
narnia4

Post by narnia4 »

I'll come out and say that I fall heavily on the "Calvinistic side" of interpreting that and other verses. But with me it wasn't because I started out looking at things from a Calvinistic standpoint and used that lens and so "perverted" or "skewed" my interpretation. On the contrary, I grew up primarily around people who were heavily influenced by Arminian philosophy/theology and very few Calvinists. So I came to see things more like a Calvinist would by study and trying to find which viewpoints best fit what we know from Scripture. I also try to pray for clarity and discernment rather than allowing what's attractive personally dictate how I interpret Scripture.

To admit one of my biases (we all do have biases of course, but its good to have an "informed bias"), I was attracted to what I saw as a very strong intellectual Reformed tradition. Many young theologians also seem to be falling closer to the "Calvinist" side of the discussion than in the past. So I don't want to just jump on board with that, I'm not going to label myself as a Calvinist who follows Calvin rather than God. But systematic theology is very, very useful and while its not that everything Calvin or his followers taught must be correct, but if it came down to picking sides I would go against Arminianism and for Calvinism every time.
Young, Restless, Reformed
Jac3510
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by Jac3510 »

Attached is a paper I wrote way back in 2006 on this subject while I was still in my undergrad program. First paper I presented at a conference, too . . .

edit:

Here's the conclusion to the paper
  • In this paper we have briefly examined the chief arguments for the Reformed and non-Reformed views of Acts 13:48. We agree with the former in that the word tassõ means “to appoint, ordain, or establish.” The word denotes the actual bestowing of eternal life upon the Gentiles. But we also argued that to read anything further into the word presses it beyond the meaning. Tassõ means “to ordain,” not “to foreordain.” We agree with the non-Reformed position in that the context strongly displays a contrast between the Jews’ considering themselves as unworthy of eternal life to the Gentiles’ being established into it. Just as the Jews did not reject the Gospel because of their self-judgment, so also the Gentiles did not believe it because of their appointment. Rather, in rejecting the Gospel, the Jews considered themselves unworthy of eternal life. In believing the Gospel, the Gentiles were established into it.
    It seems the primary idea of the text, then, is that Luke is describing two groups of people: the Jews, unworthy of eternal life, and the Gentiles, enrolled into it. Thus, in a perfectly acceptable grammatical way, Luke says that those who had been ordained to eternal life were the ones who had believed. There is no thought of pretemporal salvation in the verse. Here, appointment to life is coterminous with belief.
Attachments
Acts_13_48.doc
(74 KiB) Downloaded 98 times
Proinsias wrote:I don't think you are hearing me. Preference for ice cream is a moral issue
And that, brothers and sisters, is the kind of foolishness you get people who insist on denying biblical theism. A good illustration of any as the length people will go to avoid acknowledging basic truths.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

BavarianWheels wrote:
Byblos wrote:Exactly. Like why is it always Calvinist or Arminianist? Why not Catholic-ist or SDA-ist for example (I'm looking after you too Bav, no worries).
:)
RickD wrote:And, as far as Seventh Day Advent-ist, from what I know, they don't like NFL football, because it's on Sundays. They prefer the college game, because it's on Saturday. Or, something like that, I think... :bag:
Uh...what? I love NFL Football...what does one have to do with the other?
Apparently, it was a lame attempt at a joke, on my part. You know, worshiping on Saturday instead of Sunday...Oh, just forget it. y#-o

-Edward R Murrow

RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Byblos wrote:
RickD wrote:Byblos, it's never Catholic-ist, because we never have any real disagreements around here, involving Catholic stuff. :innocent:
How could you, there ain't nothin' to disagree about. :esurprised:
That's what I always say. I don't know why anyone fusses over the tiny differences between Protestantism, and Catholicism. y:-$

-Edward R Murrow

Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member
Sex: It's Complicated
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by Furstentum Liechtenstein »

1over137 wrote:I try to use my own eyes. Not specific lenses. All I strive for is consistency.
Good. Keep that up and you'll do well. Keep in mind that there is a difference between God's foreordination and His foreknowledge: God foreordained the salvation of Man through Jesus' sacrifice and He foreknew which people in Acts 13:48 would be saved. Those in Acts 13:48 that failed, ordained - or appointed - their own failure.

FL
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +
1over137
Technical Admin

Post by 1over137 »

Thank you guys for keeping this discussion civil. And thank you Jac for sharing your interesting paper. I wish to show it to my old wise friend, but currently he is very busy. He studied Greek and hermeneutics also.

@Rick: Wasn't it interesting to see how the verse 48 is translated in various Bibles? For me it was and I did not ask guys for it to settle the issue. I was just curious.

#foreverinmyheart
1over137
Technical Admin

Post by 1over137 »

1over137 wrote: Well, I am going to look into what Catholics and SDA-ists think about the verse 48.
Could you guys help me with this? I was not that succesful at googling the answer.

#foreverinmyheart
sandy_mcd
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by sandy_mcd »

Canuckster1127 wrote:The Greek word in question here is tasso ..
What i would give for some tasso right now ...
http://www.nolacuisine.com/2005/11/03/h ... so-recipe/ Image