Denominations

Whether you are new or just lurking, take a moment to introduce yourself or discuss something general.
Sudsy
Established Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: Denominations

Post by Sudsy »

Raised in the southern most tip of Canada in a classical Pentecostal church.
Married and settled in an Evangelical Baptist church in various ministries.
Backslid and quit church going for some 20 years.
Returned to church in the Salvation Army.
Needed fellowship and SA was so small that I went searching and the first church I found is the one I have stayed with for the past 9 years.

It is a Mennonite Brethren church called Meadowbrook Fellowship. It is basically Anabaptist in belief and quite a growing mixture of nationalities.

Regarding denominations - not a hang up for me. I do not believe in formal church memberships that sign covenants and so am not a member. However, I am quite active, facilitate the adult Sunday class and other ministries and am glad that this is allowed to a non-member.
Canuckster1127
Old School
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by Canuckster1127 »

Sudsy,

If I'm reading you right, I think you're near where I grew up in southern ontario. My dad grew up in Chatham, in a Pentecostal church. My grandfather was an itinerant pentecostal preacher as well.

I have a lot of family history in Essex county, near Tilbury, Leamington and Windsor. I was born in London and grew up in Burlington.

Small world .... ;)

bart
Dogmatism is the comfortable intellectual framework of self-righteousness. Self-righteousness is more decadent than the worst sexual sin. ~ Dan Allender
Sudsy
Established Member

Post by Sudsy »

Canuckster1127 wrote:Sudsy,

If I'm reading you right, I think you're near where I grew up in southern ontario. My dad grew up in Chatham, in a Pentecostal church. My grandfather was an itinerant pentecostal preacher as well.

I have a lot of family history in Essex county, near Tilbury, Leamington and Windsor. I was born in London and grew up in Burlington.

Small world .... ;)

bart
Yes bart, I was born and raised in Leamington and remember the Chatham Pentecostal church well. I recall going to some revival meetings there during my youth and some tent meetings in Chatham by a guy I think his name was LeRoy Jenkins. I recall one of the soloists at the church, Gary Kivell and I think he still sings with the Kivell Family Singers but I'm not sure if it's the same Gary or not. I'm getting pretty old so it's probably his son.

My dad grew up close to Chatham also in the Wallaceburg and Botany area. My dad was unchurched until his conversion when he was in his early thirties in the little Pentecostal church in Leamington. He became a 'hell fire' street preacher. He had a great compassion for the lost. Both mom and dad were saved in that little church a couple years apart and then many in our family came to know the Lord in a very short period of time. I still have many friends and relatives at the FGT church here in Leamington.

Yep, small world.
Canuckster1127
Old School
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by Canuckster1127 »

Small world indeed. I've heard Gary Kivell many times. He has (had) a beautiful voice. I still have family at Evangel Tabernacle in Chatham. I'll probably be up in the area in the next year to do some genealogical research. I have some family in Comber to visit. My great-great grandfather Breen came to Tilbury in 1867. I also am part of the Whittal family that came to Wheatley around 1858.

Nice to meet you.

bart
Dogmatism is the comfortable intellectual framework of self-righteousness. Self-righteousness is more decadent than the worst sexual sin. ~ Dan Allender
Sudsy
Established Member

Post by Sudsy »

Nice to meet you too. My mother came from the Comber area and I know some Whittals and have worked with one in computer work. Who knows we could be related. I played old timer hockey for years with a fellow and one Christmas we found out that we were cousins. We didn't play quite so rough against each other after that. :lol:

O well, we are brothers in the Lord and thats the most important thing.