Next Pope: the Devil

Discussions on Christian eschatology including different views pertaining to Jesus' second coming, rapture and tribulation, the millennium, and so forth.
Canuckster1127
Old School
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Re: Next Pope: the Devil

Post by Canuckster1127 »

oscarsiziba wrote:The disciple Peter was not the first pope,that is the hijack by the Catholic church to deceive.
That's a pretty strong accusation. It's one thing to disagree with a viewpoint, it is quite another to accuse others of lying and deception.

You don't believe Catholics can see this sincerely through the filter of their beliefs without it being a "deception?"
Dogmatism is the comfortable intellectual framework of self-righteousness. Self-righteousness is more decadent than the worst sexual sin. ~ Dan Allender
jenna
Make me a Sammich Member
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Gap Theory

Post by jenna »

Peter wasn't the first pope, nor was he even Roman. But saying it was a "hijack" may be coming off a little strong.
some things are better left unsaid, which i generally realize after i have said them
KrisW
Recognized Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by KrisW »

I think it's rather irrelevant whether or not Peter was first Pope or not.

The deeper question should be did Peter have any 'special authority' over the other Apostles?

Personally, I find John's writtings to be most edifying.
When fascism come to America it will be wearing black robes and carrying the scales of Justice("but don't touch the oil or the wine")
FFC
Prestigious Senior Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by FFC »

jenwat3 wrote:Peter wasn't the first pope, nor was he even Roman. But saying it was a "hijack" may be coming off a little strong.
Did someone say hijack?

:shijacked:

If Peter wasn't the first Pope who was?
"Faith sees the invisible, believes the unbelievable, and receives the impossible." - Corrie Ten Boom

Act 9:6
And he trembling and astonished said, Lord, what wilt thou have me to do?
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Post by Kurieuo »

FFC wrote:
jenwat3 wrote:Peter wasn't the first pope, nor was he even Roman. But saying it was a "hijack" may be coming off a little strong.
Did someone say hijack?

:shijacked:

If Peter wasn't the first Pope who was?
:incense: ??
jenna
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by jenna »

I don't know who the 1st pope was, but I do know it wasn't Peter. He never even lived in Rome during his discipleship.
some things are better left unsaid, which i generally realize after i have said them
FFC

Post by FFC »

jenwat3 wrote:I don't know who the 1st pope was, but I do know it wasn't Peter. He never even lived in Rome during his discipleship.
Jenna, I didn't know that living in Rome was a prerequisite for being Pope.
"Faith sees the invisible, believes the unbelievable, and receives the impossible." - Corrie Ten Boom

jenna
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by jenna »

So then where do the popes live and reside? y:-?
Byblos
Old School

Post by Byblos »

jenwat3 wrote:I don't know who the 1st pope was, but I do know it wasn't Peter. He never even lived in Rome during his discipleship.
Yes he did. And on the papacy.
Let us proclaim the mystery of our faith: Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again.

Lord I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.
jenna
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by jenna »

I still haven't gotten the concept of providing livks yet, so I will quote from another source here. "If Christ had established Peter as the first (and infallible) pope, how could Peter almost immediately have fallen what Christ labeled a satanic attitude? Also there is this question; How could Peter have later denied Christ 3 times?
10 proofs that Peter was probably never in Rome;
1) Paul was the apostle to the gentiles, not Peter. (Rom.15:16, Gal.2:7) Rome was a gentile city.
2)The emperor Claudius had banished all Jews from Rome in AD 50.
3)Peter went to Babylon-in Mesopotamia (1Peter 5:13)
4) Paul would never have written what he did in Romans 1(the book was written in AD 55), verses 11 and 15-clear insults to Peter, if he had been faithfully serving there for 13 previous years, particularly if it had been as pope. Actually A "Peter", Simon Magus (see Acts 8) was there. It was THIS Simon (not Simon Peter) who was the "pater", or "father" Simon Magus was already by this time the leading figure in the early church in Rome.
5)Romans 15:20; The apostle Paul declared that he would not preach (or write) upon any other man's foundation. Yet, Paul wrote the letter to the Romans. Thus, Peter could not have laid the foundation of the Roman congregation.
6)Romans 16 contains 30 different salutations, yet Peter, again, supposedly the resident pope there, was not greeted by Paul. This would have been a grievous slight if he had been present. Yet he wasn't even acknowledged.
7)Galatians 1:18-19 and 2:7 demonstrate that Peter was based at Jerusalem.
8)Notice Luke 22:24. Related to these points, if Peter was already designated to be the future pope, why were the disciples arguing among themselves about who was the greatest?
9)Galatians 2:7 reveals that Peter took the gospel to "the circumsion"-the Jews, and other tribes of Israel, referenced in #7.
10)2Tim.4:10-11 mentions that Paul wrote FROM ROME and records that "only Luke" was with him. Obviously this eliminates Peter.
Peter, was in fact, the leading apostle in the early New Testament Church, but he simply was not the first pope and certainly did not even live in Rome.
(quote from "Where is God's true Church?" by David C. Pack)
Byblos
Old School

Post by Byblos »

Most, if not all, the 10 points you (your link) raised are answered in some way in the two links I provided. I will leave it to the reader to look them up.
Let us proclaim the mystery of our faith: Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again.

Lord I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.
FFC

Post by FFC »

"One" thing that puzzles me is this statement in the papacy article, Byblos.
Peter is to be to the Church what the foundation is in regard to a house
Byblos, isn't Christ the cornerstone and foundation of the church? y\:D/

Byblos
Old School

Post by Byblos »

FFC wrote:"One" thing that puzzles me is this statement in the papacy article, Byblos.
Peter is to be to the Church what the foundation is in regard to a house
Byblos, isn't Christ the cornerstone and foundation of the church? y\:D/
Most definitely, Christ is the cornerstone of his universal church and by virtue of his appointment of Peter as the Rock on which Christ's church is built makes Peter (and by extension his successors) the physical continuity of that foundation. It is not a replacement, it's a continuous representation, here on earth.

jenna
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by jenna »

Byblos, where do you get that Peter was the rock on which Christ built His church?
jenna
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by jenna »

Byblos wrote:Most, if not all, the 10 points you (your link) raised are answered in some way in the two links I provided. I will leave it to the reader to look them up.
Did your link answer my post, or did my post answer your link? y/:)