"Don't pray for Japan"

Discussions about politics and goings on around the world. (Please keep discussions civil!)
MarcusOfLycia
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male

"Don't pray for Japan"

Post by MarcusOfLycia »

A very cynical, loud, and angry young atheist I know on Facebook recently posted something along the lines of "Don't pray for Japan in light of this earthquake. That's worthless. Send them your money instead."

A lot of other atheists picked up on this relatively quickly. Personally, I don't think any of them are actually going to give money. I found it just a snide remark against Christians (they enjoy having huge 'discussions' online for whatever reason, and conflict always generates them). It just amazes me sometimes how people can take something horrible and use it to... be horrible themselves.

None of the 300+ Christians I know that have Facebook accounts used the opportunity to tell atheists that their efforts are in vain and their core beliefs should be ignored in emergencies. Some posted to pray, but that was about it.

Sometimes I think that even if I didn't have tons of evidence for my faith, the culture of the atheists that surround me here is nauseating so much of the time I don't think I could ever be a part of it. I know some atheists (these boards have a few) who think for themselves... but the people I interface with in real life have a legitimate belief system organized for the sole purpose of mocking religious people.
-- Josh

“When you see a man with a great deal of religion displayed in his shop window, you may depend upon it, he keeps a very small stock of it within” C.H. Spurgeon

1st Corinthians 1:17- "For Christ did not send me to baptize, but to preach the gospel””not with words of human wisdom, lest the cross of Christ be emptied of its power"
jlay
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Re: "Don't pray for Japan"

Post by jlay »

In one sense they are right. Prayer should never be a substitute for action. That isn't to say we shouldn't pray.

I grow quite tired of the flippant attitude towards prayer. It is real easy to type, "Pray for this or that." We should pray, with a renewed mind, in that we may know God's will and declare it in our prayers.

The consistent thing for an atheist to do is nothing, and let nature do its thing.
-“The Bible treated allegorically becomes putty in the hands of the exegete.” John Walvoord

"I'm not saying scientists don't overstate their results. They do. And it's understandable, too...If you spend years working toward a certain goal and make no progress, of course you are going to spin your results in a positive light." Ivellious
MarcusOfLycia

Post by MarcusOfLycia »

True... very true. Although one of the guys claims to be a 'spiritualist naturalist' and sometimes a 'christian atheist'. He likes contradictions... which annoys me because I'm a Computer Scientist and contradictions make me get legitimately angry, whether they're in source code or in people's words.

Its amazing how no matter how many times I try to correct them in their complete misunderstanding of prayer, they continue to mock their view of what prayer is instead of respond to what prayer actually is... Prayer isn't the only thing like this though. One of the guys says he used to be a Christian (used to be my best friend, too, but that's a long story). I don't believe becoming an atheist is tantamount to inverting all of one's knowledge of their former belief system, but for him its the case. He knows less now and its more flawed. Not much you can do though...

I am considering asking everyone in a couple of weeks exactly what they did in place of prayer. I don't want to respond to fire with fire though in this case... it might be best just not to feed the trolls...
-- Josh

“When you see a man with a great deal of religion displayed in his shop window, you may depend upon it, he keeps a very small stock of it within” C.H. Spurgeon

1st Corinthians 1:17- "For Christ did not send me to baptize, but to preach the gospel””not with words of human wisdom, lest the cross of Christ be emptied of its power"
Canuckster1127
Old School
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by Canuckster1127 »

All social statistics I've seen indicate that people of faith send money more often and in larger amounts than atheists do. That doesn't diminish the statements but it suggests that atheists in general practically do less for those who are suffering. Ayn Rand's objectivism (a form of atheism which has greatly influenced American Capitalism) is an example of the type of thining that might contribute to this.
Dogmatism is the comfortable intellectual framework of self-righteousness. Self-righteousness is more decadent than the worst sexual sin. ~ Dan Allender
taylor1025
Newbie Member
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by taylor1025 »

I agree that we should both pray and send money.

I've also seen people (mostly dumb teenagers) post on FB that "God caused the earthquake because he hates Japan for bombing Pearl Harbor." So I guess He also hates New Orleans (Katrina), Haiti (earthquake), Australia (floods), Indonesia (tsunami), and pretty much every other country that's had a massive natural disaster? Some people...ugh.
"God doesn't abandon us. The sun shines, the birds sing, and this morning we heard the bells sounding matins..." -- Maria Nikolaevna
Silvertusk
Board Moderator
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by Silvertusk »

These people are why more don't come to Christ.
Seraph
Christian: No

Post by Seraph »

It's funny how they treat prayer like it's mutually exclusive from taking action...
I am committed to belief in God, as the most morally demanding, psychologically enriching, intellectually satisfying and imaginatively fruitful hypothesis about the ultimate nature of reality known to me - Keith Ward
MarcusOfLycia

Post by MarcusOfLycia »

I had a friend point that very fact out, to which the original poster responded with some garbage about how he thought people would post prayer instead of doing anything (as if he polled these people). Another guy came on later and had quite a long rant that really didn't say anything... I read it multiple times and still don't get it, but his attempt was to somehow agree with the original post and the "why not both?" comment.

The question is, which of the following two lines makes it sound like the intent is to help Japan more:

"Don't pray for Japan. Send money instead."

"Pray for Japan! This is a serious thing!"

Maybe I'm reading into it, but one of them appears to show genuine concern and one seems to be intent on provoking a negative response.

I agree with the friend (and you) who pointed this out.
-- Josh

Recognized Member

Post by 7777777 »

What I find unusual about this tragedy is how the scientific community continues to distance themselves from any kind of biblical explanations. I was reading on the Internet where they listed the worst earthquakes in the past 100 years. 9 out of 10 of them occurred during the second half of the 20th century. Now I am no mathematical genius but if 1 out of 10 earthquakes occur in the first 50 years and 9 out of 10 occur in the second 50 years, THAT IS AN INCREASE IN THE OCCURRENCE OF EARTHQUAKES!! Yet, scientist after scientist keep saying, "Oh. This is normal earthquake activity". I cannot say if the end times are near or not, only fools declare as such, but I find it peculiar how scientists go out of their way to not give the Bible any credibility whatsoever.
Seraph

Post by Seraph »

By regular they don't mean constant. Earthquakes happen irregularly and not all that often so it shouldn't be that much of a surprise if theres more earthquakes in one set of 50 years than the 50 years before it. :)

When they say that, they aren't dismissing the Bible, they're just saying that an increase of earthquakes is natural and theres no reason to think that it's an idicator of the end times. The amount of Earthquakes in a century rises and falls from century to century.
I am committed to belief in God, as the most morally demanding, psychologically enriching, intellectually satisfying and imaginatively fruitful hypothesis about the ultimate nature of reality known to me - Keith Ward
Recognized Member

Post by 7777777 »

Seraph wrote:By regular they don't mean constant. Earthquakes happen irregularly and not all that often so it shouldn't be that much of a surprise if theres more earthquakes in one set of 50 years than the 50 years before it. :)
I would like to see the history of earthquakes for the past 500 years. That would settle it.
Seraph wrote: When they say that, they aren't dismissing the Bible, they're just saying that an increase of earthquakes is natural and theres no reason to think that it's an idicator of the end times. The amount of Earthquakes in a century rises and falls from century to century.
I politely disagree. You can see it in their faces when the question is asked. I can tell by their facial expressions, and their words, that they are thinking to themselves, "Here's another end of times nut case." They even say it when they aren't even asked. I heard one scientist say, "The increase in earthquakes is nothing unusual." The question about frequency wasn't even asked but he went out of his way to say it that way. But, you're right, I can't say for sure because I'm not a mind reader but I just get that feeling when I hear them answer.
Jonouchi Katsuya
Established Member

Post by Jonouchi Katsuya »

Canuckster1127 wrote:All social statistics I've seen indicate that people of faith send money more often and in larger amounts than atheists do. That doesn't diminish the statements but it suggests that atheists in general practically do less for those who are suffering. Ayn Rand's objectivism (a form of atheism which has greatly influenced American Capitalism) is an example of the type of thining that might contribute to this.
I know this is late... but...

Though this isn't necessarily true all the time. Look at Bill Gates- He has retired to become a full time philanthropist and he is not a Christian... in fact he is an atheist.

But, as someone who is not Christian ( I am Buddhist) I believe that Prayer really works. Sending good feelings and vibes towards and for another person or country like Japan should always be done if you can't do anything else. And in a big way, it means more than money.

I find obnoxious people (not Atheists) who say such things to be rather idiotic... though they may be the enlightened ones... who knows. :lol:

I hope you are all still praying for others- especially those going through great suffering.
Hi I am a Buddhist and I seek enlightenment. I do not know everything. I do not pretend to know everything. I desire strongly to discuss the Bible as you see it. Please correct me when I get something wrong.
Canuckster1127
Old School

Post by Canuckster1127 »

Of course there are exceptions. The overall numbers though reflect that pattern in every study I've seen. If you're aware of others that show differently by all means feel free to reference some. If it's needed I can find the one's I've seen in the past and reference them.

Welcome to the forum by the way. We're glad you're here.
Dogmatism is the comfortable intellectual framework of self-righteousness. Self-righteousness is more decadent than the worst sexual sin. ~ Dan Allender
Jonouchi Katsuya
Established Member

Post by Jonouchi Katsuya »

Canuckster1127 wrote:Of course there are exceptions. The overall numbers though reflect that pattern in every study I've seen. If you're aware of others that show differently by all means feel free to reference some. If it's needed I can find the one's I've seen in the past and reference them.

Welcome to the forum by the way. We're glad you're here.
I would be happy to. Maybe in my own topic? I feel it is important for people to respect those of other denominations... This goes both ways. Regardless of what we think... it is best to try to get along and appreciate what the other has to offer.
Hi I am a Buddhist and I seek enlightenment. I do not know everything. I do not pretend to know everything. I desire strongly to discuss the Bible as you see it. Please correct me when I get something wrong.
neo-x
Ultimate Member

Post by neo-x »

This goes both ways. Regardless of what we think... it is best to try to get along and appreciate what the other has to offer.
:clap:
It would be a blessing if they missed the cairns and got lost on the way back. Or if
the Thing on the ice got them tonight.

I could only turn and stare in horror at the chief surgeon.
Death by starvation is a terrible thing, Goodsir, continued Stanley.
And with that we went below to the flame-flickering Darkness of the lower deck
and to a cold almost the equal of the Dante-esque Ninth Circle Arctic Night
without.

//johnadavid.wordpress.com