Blasphemy against the holy spirit??

General discussions about Christianity including salvation, heaven and hell, Christian history and so on.
Danieltwotwenty
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Blasphemy against the holy spirit??

Post by Danieltwotwenty »

Hi Guys
What does it actually mean to blaspheme the Holy spirit, i am unsure whether i have done it ior not before i was a Christain and if i have done it does that mean i cant repent for it?

Your Friend in Christ
Daniel
1Tim1:15-17
Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners of whom I am the worst. But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his immense patience as an example for those who would believe in him and receive eternal life. Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory for ever and ever.Amen.
Kenzel
Recognized Member
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided

Re: Blasphemy against the holy spirit??

Post by Kenzel »

From what I've been told, to blaspheme the Holy Spirit is to totally reject the gift of salvation and forgiveness that God has offered us, thus making the sin unforgivable. If you had committed that sin, you would have never become a Christian. So don't worry! Hopefully I made sense and was able to answer your question!
Danieltwotwenty
Ultimate Member

Hi
Thank you for your reply Kenzel,
but what about when i was not a Christain was i rejecting God then?
Daniel
Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners of whom I am the worst. But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his immense patience as an example for those who would believe in him and receive eternal life. Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory for ever and ever.Amen.
Danieltwotwenty
Ultimate Member

Actually i was just thinking, and i just came to a realisation. To blaspheme the Holy Spirit is to totally reject God in this life altogether until you expire.
I cant take the credit though, you know when you have a moment of clarity that comes from God ( pretty sure that was one of those ).

Praise be to God
Daniel
Danieltwotwenty
Ultimate Member

Also Kenzel thankyou, now that i understand i see you were saying the same thing hahahaha :pound:

Daniel
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

To blasphemy something we must KNOW it, just as to REJECT something, we must KNOW it.
The blasphemy against the HS is to KNOW the HS and thus to KNOW God and Christ, to KNOW their love and grace AND to REJECT it.
The non-believer that doesn't know the HS and rejects what he THINKS the HS is, is NOT blasphemying against it, he is just ignorant of the HS and God and Christ.
Only a believer can reject and blasphemy against the HS.
Add to that the issue that it is VIA the HS that we BECOME believers to begin with.
As Paul said, "No man can say Christ is the Son of God but via the HS".
Seraph
Christian: No

Post by Seraph »

I've heard it interpreted by some pastors (one I'm thinking of is Mark Driscol) that blasphemy against the Holy Spirit is continously rejecting the Holy Spirit's influence on us to be drawn to Jesus until our deaths, so essentially being a non-Christian for the duration of ones life. I'm not sure how true it is though, though I really hope this is the correct interpretation.

Lately I've been thinking about the possibility that it could refer to a Christian who experiences God's love and later turns from Him, similar to what PaulSacramento said. If this is true, what if the person later repents and attempts to come back to Jesus once again?

Sometimes I worry that I might be guilty of this sin if that is the true definition. I don't think I'm ignorant of the Holy Spirit and I think I've felt the presence of God/The Holy Spirit a long time ago, but there have periods later on where my doubt and anger at God became so severe that my relationship with God was badly damaged to the point of me believing that God probably doesn't exist, only to return later to being a believing Christian once I got a grip later on. God's put up with a lot of complaining and inappropritate angry outbursts from me, and I sometimes wonder if I'm still within the bounds of His patience or not. In the Bible it seems that God has gotten angry for much less.

Is it possible for a living person to be a Christian (or attempt to be), yet be guilty of the unforgivable sin and thus permanently unsaved?
I am committed to belief in God, as the most morally demanding, psychologically enriching, intellectually satisfying and imaginatively fruitful hypothesis about the ultimate nature of reality known to me - Keith Ward
Echoside
Valued Member
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by Echoside »

Seraph wrote: Is it possible for a living person to be a Christian (or attempt to be), yet be guilty of the unforgivable sin and thus permanently unsaved?
I wouldn't worry too much, the parable of the prodigal son and tons of verses in the Bible point to just how vast God's grace is.
jestes
Familiar Member

Post by jestes »

Here's how I look at it. Jesus said that this was the one sin that 'would not' be forgiven. I don't remember reading 'could not'. I feel that Jesus meant that people who blaspheme the holy spirit like that are so dead-set in their unbelief and rejection that they aren't going to ever embrace the love of Christ in the first place. It's not that God can't/wont forgive them if they asked for it, but that they flat out refuse to ask in the first place. Those people have hardened themselves to the point where they ignore repeated attempts by God to bring them to faith.