Heaven

General discussions about Christianity including salvation, heaven and hell, Christian history and so on.
Murray
Esteemed Senior Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided

Heaven

Post by Murray »

, Recently I was thinking about heaven, and i was kind of wondering, what will it be like and what will we do. While I have read the most of the new testament and part of the old (up to and partially throught exodus), I honestly cannot find a very descriptive verse of it. I mean I realize we will recieve new bodys, that we will be maried to jesus, and that all pain and suffering will be gone, but honestly, how? I mean, What will we do in heaven, will we eat sleep, play, talk to our fellow spirits in heaven, or maybe just enjoy the company of our fellow brothers in christ? I have read a article by one of my favorite christian apologist, richard deem :ebiggrin: , that addresses this but honestly it does not satisfy my thirst for knowledge on the subject. His article speaks of helping god judge, well that does make sense, but what about what Final Judgement comes? What will we do then?

It's things like this that can occupy my mind all day in thought, and to be honest, i've gotton nowhere on it all day lol.

I was hoping perhaps you guys could share your view of what it might be like.
in nomine patri et fili spiritu sancte
Telstra Robs
Established Member
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: Heaven

Post by Telstra Robs »

Well, technically it's not heaven, rather a "New Earth" with a "New Jerusalem" which comes out of Heaven (Rev 3:12, Rev 21:2).

Revelations 21 gives a description of what the New Jerusalem will look like, and some minor detail about the geography of the New Earth (John of Patmos writes that an angel who had one of the bowls of the plagues carried him up on a very high mountain to see New Jerusalem coming out of Heaven, so obviously there is at least one mountain in the New Earth: Rev 21:9-10).

The tree of life is described in Rev 22:2 as having 12 kinds of fruit, one each month, so I suppose that we may eat of it, but I am not sure (The leaves of the tree are supposed to be for the healing of nations).

Other than that, I am not sure, besides what was written in the article you spoke of.
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Re: Heaven

Post by B. W. »

Traditional view from the Judaic – Christian perspective about heaven is that it is where God is. Thus heaven would be as God wants it to be, free from ruin, decay, death, sin. So by looking at God, you just may find out what the current realm of heaven is like now. Also, the current heaven is described as being located in a spiritual dimension, for God is Spirit. The beginning chapters of Revelation do capture some snap shots of heaven as events described happened before the last three chapters ever happened.

In the closing chapters of the book of Revelation, you have God joining heaven (his dwelling place) and earth together. To do so requires a remaking of all things after riding the world of the devil, sin, and death all placed in a area of eternal confinement. Also, looking at heaven and new earth in the book of Revelation helps one understand what the current heaven is like. Bascially the current heaven is a place of life, where the full Majesty of the Lord resides, a place full of good things where no ruin, sin, death dwells.
-
-
-
Science is man's invention - creation is God's
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Not my Circus....not my monkeys