Astronomers warn of 2036 asteroid collision

Discussions on Christian eschatology including different views pertaining to Jesus' second coming, rapture and tribulation, the millennium, and so forth.
Gman
Old School
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Astronomers warn of 2036 asteroid collision

Post by Gman »

Possible asteroid collision?
An asteroid considered to be the largest threat to Earth may strike the planet within the next 25 years, according to Russian astronomers.

Scientists at St Petersburg State University have predicted that asteroid Apophis may hit Earth on April 13, 2036.

"Apophis will approach Earth at a distance of 37,000-38,000km on April 13, 2029. Its likely collision with Earth may occur on April 13, 2036," Professor Leonid Solokov said.

The chance of the asteroid striking Earth intact is slim as it will probably disintegrate into smaller pieces and hit the planet at various times.

But if the asteroid does collide with Earth, NASA estimates the energy from this particular asteroid to be roughly the same as hundreds of nuclear bombs.

However, they have recently released new research which shows the chance of Apophis striking in 2036 to be less than 1 in 45,000.

But astronomers say it is best to be prepared for all situations.

"Our task is to consider various alternatives and develop scenarios and plans of action depending on results of further observations of Apophis," Sokolov said.

Russia's space agency is currently considering a project to prevent the asteroid from colliding with Earth.

Source: http://news.ninemsn.com.au/technology/8 ... on-in-2036
The heart cannot rejoice in what the mind rejects as false - Galileo

We learn from history that we do not learn from history - Georg Friedrich Wilhelm Hegel

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable, if anything is excellent or praiseworthy, think about such things. -Philippians 4:8
puritan lad
Esteemed Senior Member
Creation Position: Undecided

Re: Astronomers warn of 2036 asteroid collision

Post by puritan lad »

Here are some others: ;)

"To suppose that whatever God requireth of us that we have power of ourselves to do, is to make the cross and grace of Jesus Christ of none effect." - JOHN OWEN

//covenant-theology.blogspot.com
//christianskepticism.blogspot.com/
Gman
Old School

Post by Gman »

Well laugh it up for now.. If you like taking chances on your view, that is your game... ;)

Luke 21:36 Be always on the watch, and pray that you may be able to escape all that is about to happen, and that you may be able to stand before the Son of Man.”

Luke 21:25 There will be signs in the sun, moon and stars. On the earth, nations will be in anguish and perplexity at the roaring and tossing of the sea.

1 Corinthians 14:1 Follow the way of love and eagerly desire gifts of the Spirit, especially prophecy.

We learn from history that we do not learn from history - Georg Friedrich Wilhelm Hegel

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable, if anything is excellent or praiseworthy, think about such things. -Philippians 4:8
puritan lad
Esteemed Senior Member
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by puritan lad »

Gman wrote:Well laugh it up for now.. If you like taking chances on your view, that is your game... ;)

Luke 21:36 Be always on the watch, and pray that you may be able to escape all that is about to happen, and that you may be able to stand before the Son of Man.”

Luke 21:25 There will be signs in the sun, moon and stars. On the earth, nations will be in anguish and perplexity at the roaring and tossing of the sea.

1 Corinthians 14:1 Follow the way of love and eagerly desire gifts of the Spirit, especially prophecy.
I doubt that, even in the unlikely case you are correct, that I'm going to miss any rapture event based on my millennial beliefs. In that case, no Christian who lived before 1830 will make it into the kingdom, until Darby and Scofield came along to tell us what the Bible really meant.

On the other hand, if you are correct, I still have 25 years to get it right,
"To suppose that whatever God requireth of us that we have power of ourselves to do, is to make the cross and grace of Jesus Christ of none effect." - JOHN OWEN

//covenant-theology.blogspot.com
//christianskepticism.blogspot.com/
Gman
Old School

Post by Gman »

I doubt that, even in the unlikely case you are correct, that I'm going to miss any rapture event based on my millennial beliefs. In that case, no Christian who lived before 1830 will make it into the kingdom, until Darby and Scofield came along to tell us what the Bible really meant.
I wouldn't assume it would have anything to do with salvation or the rapture for that matter.. But maybe missing a crown or two and not being prepared.
puritan lad wrote:
On the other hand, if you are correct, I still have 25 years to get it right,
You mean cry wolf... ;)