can god not influence human mind?

Discussions on a ranges of philosophical issues including the nature of truth and reality, personal identity, mind-body theories, epistemology, justification of beliefs, argumentation and logic, philosophy of religion, free will and determinism, etc.
rajanpunj
Acquainted Member
Christian: No
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided

can god not influence human mind?

Post by rajanpunj »

can god not influence human mind? if he can then he had no need to come to earth and proove his existence. if no then he is not omnipotent and he need not be there.
Canuckster1127
Old School
Christian: Yes
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Re: can god not influence human mind?

Post by Canuckster1127 »

You present two choices as if they are the only choices. They are not. The possession of power is not the exercising of it. God is omnipotent and yet there are many things He chooses not to do. The choice not to do something is not necessarily evidence of incapability. Further, God will not do anything that contradicts His character. God has chosen to prove His existence in a manner that still requires faith on the part of the one accepting that and establishing a relationship with Him.
Dogmatism is the comfortable intellectual framework of self-righteousness. Self-righteousness is more decadent than the worst sexual sin. ~ Dan Allender
August
Old School
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by August »

You also assume that humans only consist of mind. Maybe you need to define what mind means in this context.
Acts 17:24-25 (NIV)
"The God who made the world and everything in it is the Lord of heaven and earth and does not live in temples built by hands. [25] And he is not served by human hands, as if he needed anything, because he himself gives all men life and breath and everything else."

//www.omnipotentgrace.org
//christianskepticism.blogspot.com
jlay
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by jlay »

Can a parent influence a child's mind? Does this remove the child's autonomy?
-“The Bible treated allegorically becomes putty in the hands of the exegete.” John Walvoord

"I'm not saying scientists don't overstate their results. They do. And it's understandable, too...If you spend years working toward a certain goal and make no progress, of course you are going to spin your results in a positive light." Ivellious
rajanpunj
Acquainted Member

Post by rajanpunj »

my dear friends, i know god only wants every thing to be the best for mankind, peace allaround and no misery for anyone. if god is omnipotent and his intentions are good why is he letting so much misery to be there in this world? if he realy can influence human mind why he does not do anything? what is the use of a power which when required is not used that too if it is for the better.as only jesus was son of god rest all are humans so god should be able to do something.
Byblos
Old School

Post by Byblos »

rajanpunj wrote:my dear friends, i know god only wants every thing to be the best for mankind, peace allaround and no misery for anyone. if god is omnipotent and his intentions are good why is he letting so much misery to be there in this world? if he realy can influence human mind why he does not do anything? what is the use of a power which when required is not used that too if it is for the better.as only jesus was son of god rest all are humans so god should be able to do something.
Why is it misery if there is no god? It's all part of nature, no misery, no evil, no right, wrong, or moral values. Just a bunch of chemicals interacting.

You need to brush up on your philosophical arguments my friend, the problem of evil in the world is actually a good argument FOR the existence of God.
Let us proclaim the mystery of our faith: Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again.

Lord I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.
jlay
Ultimate Member

Post by jlay »

my dear friends, i know god only wants every thing to be the best for mankind, peace allaround and no misery for anyone.
Raj,
You shoudl pay attention to what Byblos just said. But also, if you are not going to address things you've brought up on past threads, then why bring up new ones?
In one thread you claimed "there is certainly a god in a form which is not known to us."
That is a contradictory statement in itself. And now you claim to have revelation from this God. That is to know his/her/its mind. How did you receive this revelation, and why should we trust you as a prophet??
if he realy can influence human mind why he does not do anything? what is the use of a power which when required is not used that too if it is for the better.as only jesus was son of god rest all are humans so god should be able to do something.
Do you understand the difference between a computer and a human mind? What makes a human human? would you even be human if you were forced/programmed to do things without any control over your thoughts and actions? I'd say no. God can make us do what He wants us to do. But the probelm is, you are no longer you. In fact, you aren't and you weren't.

God does have the power to influence us. And do so in such a way that does not reduce us to less than the humans He made us to be. And He revealed that plan to mankind, that if implemented ends suffering, one by one. Read John 14-15
-“The Bible treated allegorically becomes putty in the hands of the exegete.” John Walvoord

"I'm not saying scientists don't overstate their results. They do. And it's understandable, too...If you spend years working toward a certain goal and make no progress, of course you are going to spin your results in a positive light." Ivellious
rajanpunj
Acquainted Member

Post by rajanpunj »

dear jlay i dont get any revelations.i have just made my mind to know the truth. my mind is like a child's mind. i have lot of queries, i am seeking truth, tales and scriptures are not going to satisfy me, they can only guide me.all great men only tought and guided us how to live a good and just life(again as i always say there is no absolute, so the degree varied). kindly dont get offended by my questions,my intentions are to get some knowledge from wise people like you who use this site.
jlay
Ultimate Member

Post by jlay »

No offense has been taken.
Please do not expect that if there are inconsistencies in your thinking and logic that they will not be pointed out.
You are in fact claiming to know something about God, and in the same breath claiming not to really know anything.
i have just made my mind to know the truth.
Here is a good starting point. Not real sure what you are saying here. Are you saying that you have made up your mind to know the truth, (in other words, you have set your mind on pursuing truth) or, that you made you mind to know the truth? There is a difference.

In another thread you said,
"there is certainly a god in a form which is not known to us."
Let's clarify what you are saying here because it seems to be self-defeating. You say, there is certainly a God. That means you are certain there is a God. Next you say, in a form which is NOT known.
It could be that I don't know what you mean by form, and you are welcome to clarify. But without clarifcation you seem to be saying that God is not known to us, but we are certain there is a God. And then in this thread you go on to say,
"i know god only wants every thing to be the best for mankind, peace allaround and no misery for anyone."
You say that you KNOW what God wants. How?

This is a valid question,
if god is omnipotent and his intentions are good why is he letting so much misery to be there in this world?
The reason I ask these things, (And I would like an answer) is how can we be expected to explain suffering and misery if you in fact have invalid and faulty conceptions of who this God really is?

The 2nd part of the question has do to with influence. And I think that is best answered in what I have addressed here regarding misconceptions about God's character, and about what makes us, us.

Canuckster1127
Old School
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by Canuckster1127 »

rajanpunj wrote:dear jlay i dont get any revelations.i have just made my mind to know the truth. my mind is like a child's mind. i have lot of queries, i am seeking truth, tales and scriptures are not going to satisfy me, they can only guide me.all great men only tought and guided us how to live a good and just life(again as i always say there is no absolute, so the degree varied). kindly dont get offended by my questions,my intentions are to get some knowledge from wise people like you who use this site.
rajunpunj, help me out here. You want help and to discuss things, and that is fine. Would you please tell us a little bit about who you are, where you live, what you do (student, work, retired etc.) and what your beliefs are. That will help us to know as much about you as you can find about many of us by checking profiles and past threads.

Your name and the nature of some of your comments suggest to me that you are coming from a perspective that is eastern or Hindu. I ask to understand you better not to label you.
Dogmatism is the comfortable intellectual framework of self-righteousness. Self-righteousness is more decadent than the worst sexual sin. ~ Dan Allender
puritan lad
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by puritan lad »

rajanpunj,

If the problem of evil perplexes you, this may help, though I would suggest that your problem is much deeper.

The Problem Of Evil Answered
rajanpunj wrote:i dont get any revelations.i have just made my mind to know the truth. my mind is like a child's mind.
If you don't get ay revelations, how do you account for your ability to know anything?
rajanpunj wrote:i have lot of queries, i am seeking truth, tales and scriptures are not going to satisfy me, they can only guide me.
Argumentum ad circulum. Why do you assume that the Sciptures aren't truth? If you don't know what truth is, how will you know when to start looking, and why will you exclude the Scriptures?
rajanpunj wrote:all great men only tought and guided us how to live a good and just life
On what authority will you make this claim? Don't we first have to have a standard by which we can judge "great men" as well as define a "good and just life"?
rajanpunj wrote:(again as i always say there is no absolute, so the degree varied).
Are you absolutely sure that there are no absolutes?
rajanpunj wrote:kindly dont get offended by my questions,my intentions are to get some knowledge from wise people like you who use this site.
I hope that this is true. As Bart suggested, we need to know both your starting point and your standard for your search for truth.
"To suppose that whatever God requireth of us that we have power of ourselves to do, is to make the cross and grace of Jesus Christ of none effect." - JOHN OWEN

//covenant-theology.blogspot.com
//christianskepticism.blogspot.com/