What If God Had Answered Jesus' Prayer

General discussions about Christianity including salvation, heaven and hell, Christian history and so on.
Recognized Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

What If God Had Answered Jesus' Prayer

Post by 7777777 »

While Christ was dying on the cross, He asked His Father to forgive those who were killing Him. If God had forgiven them, would they have gone to heaven, even though they were not believers?
kmr
Valued Member
Creation Position: Undecided

Re: What If God Had Answered Jesus' Prayer

Post by kmr »

They either did or didn't. Because Christ forgives sins as the Father, if he were to forgive them that sin then it was forgiven ("for they [knew] not what they [did]"). However, it all comes down to whether they accept Christ or not, and if they didn't, then it wouldn't have mattered if that sin was forgiven, because they would have chosen either to continue sinning or to reject that forgiveness.
- KMR

Dominum meum amō!
Canuckster1127
Old School
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by Canuckster1127 »

7777777 wrote:While Christ was dying on the cross, He asked His Father to forgive those who were killing Him. If God had forgiven them, would they have gone to heaven, even though they were not believers?
I don't know what the eternal destiny of any of those who were killing him is and neither do you.

Heaven will be full of murders, rapists, liars, cheats, frauds and I suspect maybe some of those who stood by approving of Christ's crucifixion at that time.

I'm reminded of Saul of Tarsus who stood by holding the coats of those who stoned Stephen to death for his testimony of Christ. Saul (Paul) met Christ later on the road to Damascus and in the end died for his faith as well.

In the end, it is not anything we do or don't do that will in and of itself send us to heaven. All that matters is what we have done with Jesus Christ in the end in terms of accepting by faith the grace of God offered to us through Him. In the end as well, it is only God who can know that and make that judgement and I'm content to leave those matters with Him.
Dogmatism is the comfortable intellectual framework of self-righteousness. Self-righteousness is more decadent than the worst sexual sin. ~ Dan Allender
Sudsy
Established Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by Sudsy »

Regarding this thread's question, I wonder if this request by Jesus is a reflection of His human side that appeals to the Father to not sentence someone who doesn't really understand what they are doing. He didn't say or add to His request - 'If it be your will' as He prayed in the garden when He ended with giving into the Father's will.

Or perhaps, when these people are judged for their sinning, if they have not received the forgiveness of all of their sins through Christ, God may have answered Jesus request and will not hold these specific sins against them.

And/or perhaps we can conclude from this request, that Jesus, who is the true reflection of God, will not hold people accountable for certain sins of ignorance ? How merciful might God be in the end in His judgments on sinning ?

I'm not sure we can know exactly why Jesus made this request and just how God dealt with it. To me, it reflects such an attitude of mercy towards those involved. All we like sheep have gone astray. And God has laid upon Him (Jesus) the iniquity of us all. Wow ! Believe it and receive forgiveness.