Knowing God's Voice

Are you a sincere seeker who has questions about Christianity, or a Christian with doubts about your faith? Post them here to receive a thoughtful response.
Sudsy
Established Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Knowing God's Voice

Post by Sudsy »

Jesus said John 10:27 - 'My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me'. John 18:37 - 'Every one that is of the truth heareth my voice' and Revelation 3:20 ‘Behold, I stand at the door and knock; if anyone hears My voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and will dine with him, and he with Me'. This last text, I believe, was addressed specifically to a local church of believers.

So, would it be correct to say that anyone who does not know the voice of God from all other voices/thoughts going on in their head should consider whether or not they are born again ? Or considering the last verse especially, can a true believer 'shut out' the voice of God and therefore, not be having personal fellowship with God even though they are a born again child of God ?

Some say that the call of salvation in one's heart to turn to God is that voice and not to expect much direction by God in any other sense of hearing a voice. Others say that knowing God's voice distinctly is a norm for any true believer. Still others may regard learning to know the voice of God clearly is a matter of the quality of relationship one has with God. And there may be other views as well.

I'm curious as to what other believers believe and experience in knowing the voice of God. Jesus also indicated that at judgment time there would be those who claimed to be followers but He said that He never knew them. Might this be those who never really knew God's voice and they just thought the religious ideas rolling around in their heads was God when it was not God at all ?

Any thoughts on this subject ?
DannyM
Ultimate Member

Re: knowing God's voice

Post by DannyM »

Never 'heard' God's voice. The only 'hearing' of God's voice, for me, is by way of reading his word. I 'hear' him through his word, and also by way of the 'little voice' in my head telling me to not to turn back to the life I once lived. The conscience is God's voice.
credo ut intelligam

dei gratia
Gman
Old School

Re: Knowing God's Voice

Post by Gman »

The heart cannot rejoice in what the mind rejects as false - Galileo

We learn from history that we do not learn from history - Georg Friedrich Wilhelm Hegel

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable, if anything is excellent or praiseworthy, think about such things. -Philippians 4:8
Gman
Old School

Post by Gman »

God's voice??

Ultimately it is felt in those moments of love.. Yes, that's it. :esmile:
The heart cannot rejoice in what the mind rejects as false - Galileo

We learn from history that we do not learn from history - Georg Friedrich Wilhelm Hegel

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable, if anything is excellent or praiseworthy, think about such things. -Philippians 4:8
zackabba1
Familiar Member
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by zackabba1 »

I'll share a kind of funny moment with you on this.

Sometimes I pray in my head, instead of out loud.

At the time (and sometimes I still do) I would struggle with the same thing you are; how do you hear God's voice?

So, in prayer, I said (in my head) "Lord, I really want to hear you, but I don't know how."

He responded "I'm talking with you right now. Do you love me with all your heart, soul, and mind?"

I said "Yes, but, Lord, how do I hear you?"

Do you see the irony in this? He speaks in many different was. One of the ways is through your thoughts, that tiny voice in your head. That may well be Him talking to you (even when you don't realize it). When you see that five dollar bill on the ground, and think "I should find the owner of this," that's Him speaking through you.

You could say "but how do I know that it's not just me talking to myself in my head?"

Well, sometimes it may be. But you will knw it's God, at least influencing your thoughts, if everything matches up with the Bible ( he won't say "well, no one will notice if I take this cake" or something like that)

He'll speak to you in psalms and verses you've learned as well.

He's a Counsuler as well, and can help you through your problems, though His Word.

ALWAYS seek out a pastor or a Christian perwhen you think you hear God's voice.

God Bless!
Zack