god and science needs some articles on the foundig fathers

Discussion about scientific issues as they relate to God and Christianity including archaeology, origins of life, the universe, intelligent design, evolution, etc.
ryeguy123
Familiar Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

god and science needs some articles on the foundig fathers

Post by ryeguy123 »

its just that the founding fathers used alot by atheist so i want to see some articles explaining them like where they really atheist :?
Mary
Acquainted Member
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided

Re: god and science needs some articles on the foundig fathe

Post by Mary »

http://www.adherents.com/gov/Founding_F ... igion.html

I hope this website can help you. For the specific religion of each founding father scroll down, and if you click on the religion beside their name it will take you to a page about them that explains more. Don't think that this page is 100% accurate though, because there were some founding father that we do not have much proof for, and I am not sure what sources they used to figure this information out.

God bless,
Mary
"The LORD is my light and my salvation; of whom shall I fear? The LORD is the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid?" Psalm 27:1
Canuckster1127
Old School
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Re: god and science needs some articles on the foundig fathe

Post by Canuckster1127 »

Mary wrote:http://www.adherents.com/gov/Founding_F ... igion.html

I hope this website can help you. For the specific religion of each founding father scroll down, and if you click on the religion beside their name it will take you to a page about them that explains more. Don't think that this page is 100% accurate though, because there were some founding father that we do not have much proof for, and I am not sure what sources they used to figure this information out.

God bless,
Mary
Mary,

I'm fairly extensively read in this area and a quick look at the page you reference leads me to believe it's reasonably accurate and balanced. I just looked at a few representative listing on some of the Founding Father's whom it's my experience are often not represented in a very balanced manner. Thomas Jefferson is probably the most notable person. I've read most everything that Jefferson wrote and tried to understand him in terms of how he wrote and described himself. The site you mention, does a reasonably good job of cataloging him as a formal episcopalian deist earlier in life and then eschewing religious affiliation later in life with leanings that in terms of his day would be best described as Unitarian.

In terms of the others, records exist that at least give the congregation that these men belonged to. Church membership was almost universal and socially it was near impossible for someone in the US or the colonies to rise to leadership without known association with a church. That doesn't mean each was necessarily a fervent Christian in every regard but most were and most were probably sincere in their beliefs even where they took up some of the skepticism and philosophy of the renaissance that was common too among learned men.

Good link! Thanks for putting it up.

bart
Dogmatism is the comfortable intellectual framework of self-righteousness. Self-righteousness is more decadent than the worst sexual sin. ~ Dan Allender