Rebuttal for this?

Are you a sincere seeker who has questions about Christianity, or a Christian with doubts about your faith? Post them here to receive a thoughtful response.
Short1
Recognized Member
Christian: Yes

Rebuttal for this?

Post by Short1 »

Hey folks.. a person on facebook posted this.. he's sort of a skeptic christian/agnostic goofy kid.. I was wondering what your thoughts and responses to it were:

"If you wanted to be a martyr, I would have nailed you to the cross myself.
Your suffering is not for my sins, they're for your own glory. Revel in it."

Responses/rebuttals?
Thanks!
(this site saved me from losing my faith!)
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Re: Rebuttal for this?

Post by Kurieuo »

Short1 wrote:Hey folks.. a person on facebook posted this.. he's sort of a skeptic christian/agnostic goofy kid.. I was wondering what your thoughts and responses to it were:

"If you wanted to be a martyr, I would have nailed you to the cross myself.
Your suffering is not for my sins, they're for your own glory. Revel in it."

Responses/rebuttals?
Thanks!
(this site saved me from losing my faith!)
Several thoughts.

The first sentence seems dramatic. Does he really want to kill people?

I also do not see Jesus as a martyr. Self-sacrificed yes, but not a martyr. He did not die to inspire others to follow His beliefs. He died to redeem humanity.

Re: God's glory.

How glorious a scene it would have been if God just zapped humanity from existence?

God in His very nature is completely glorious.

He did not need to come to earth in human form and suffer on the cross to receive his own glory (as though God lacked glory). There is nothing glorious in that for God. There is something glorious in that for us who hope in Christ's death and resurrection. Something glorious in God reaching out to us. To God however, He could have already revelled in His own glory without coming to earth. God was already complete in His glory.