Lie

Discussion for Christian perspectives on ethical issues such as abortion, euthanasia, sexuality, and so forth.
CeT-To
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided

Lie

Post by CeT-To »

Im pretty sure everyone has seen this come up °what if people tell a lie to save some one from physical and emotional pain...or death?

Would that still be wrong? Im confused because if we are talking about moral absolutes then doesnt it mean it IS still wrong to lie even if its to save ones life? Yes it is less of a sin to lie than to let them die ...but a sin is a sin ...no?

God Bless you guys!!

Francesco
But joy and happiness in you to all who seek you! Let them ceaselessly cry,"Great is Yahweh" who love your saving power. Psalm 40:16

I Praise you Yahweh, my Lord, my God!!!!!
smiley
Established Member

Re: Lie

Post by smiley »

Abraham lied twice to save his life, and God not only did not chastise him for it, He even punished the Pharaoh and threatened him with death because he acted upon being fooled into believing Abraham's lies.

I hear there are also passages that indicate that God Himself lied, but I haven't read those parts of the Bible yet.
"Imagine if we picked the wrong god. Every time we go to church, we're just make him madder and madder." - Homer Simpson
jlay
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by jlay »

Numbers 23:19
God is not a man, that he should lie,
nor a son of man, that he should change his mind.
Does he speak and then not act?
Does he promise and not fulfill?
-“The Bible treated allegorically becomes putty in the hands of the exegete.” John Walvoord

"I'm not saying scientists don't overstate their results. They do. And it's understandable, too...If you spend years working toward a certain goal and make no progress, of course you are going to spin your results in a positive light." Ivellious
BavarianWheels
Prestigious Senior Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by BavarianWheels »

Now as we take a commercial break...
Am I the only one that sees a skull that Christ is raising his hands to in your profile pic, CeT-To?

...and we're back.
sinnerbybirth
Established Member

Post by sinnerbybirth »

BavarianWheels wrote:.
Now as we take a commercial break...
Am I the only one that sees a skull that Christ is raising his hands to in your profile pic, CeT-To?

...and we're back.
Hmmmm. y:-? You may be right. I thought It looked like an angel. But, now that you say that, I guess it could be. y:O2 Sounds like a Rorschach test is in order. 8-}2 I personally think they all look like ink blots.
Canuckster1127
Old School
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by Canuckster1127 »

Looks like a Dove to me.
Dogmatism is the comfortable intellectual framework of self-righteousness. Self-righteousness is more decadent than the worst sexual sin. ~ Dan Allender
CeT-To

Post by CeT-To »

Yeah i think its a dove LOL by the way its a painting...

Anyway can anyone answer my question?
But joy and happiness in you to all who seek you! Let them ceaselessly cry,"Great is Yahweh" who love your saving power. Psalm 40:16

Alpha~Omega
Recognized Member

Post by Alpha~Omega »

I dont know the exact bible passage, but i remember (i believe it was Jesus who said this) "to flee from death" in other words, avoid becoming a martyr.
The Neurotic Saint.
CeT-To

Post by CeT-To »

im not talking about that, im saying if for example some one is hiding in a closet and im infront of the closet and the murder ( with a gun or knife) asks me where he is ....what do i say?

Alpha~Omega
Recognized Member

Post by Alpha~Omega »

Well let me ask you this, what would you say to the murderer? If you did decide to lie, you saved that persons life. Although you still lied, and lieing is a sin, but i think that since you helped him to "flee from death" you obeyed God's commandment. I like to think of it as an exception to the rule. I hope this helps you bro.
The Neurotic Saint.
sinnerbybirth
Established Member

Post by sinnerbybirth »

CeT-To wrote: °what if people tell a lie to save some one from physical and emotional pain...or death?
John 13:38 Jesus answered, “Will you lay down your life for Me? Truly, truly, I say to you, a rooster will not crow until you deny Me three times.
Jesus told Peter that Peter was going to lie three times.

John 18:27 Peter then denied it again, and immediately a rooster crowed.
Peter lied three times.
CeT-To wrote:Would that still be wrong? Im confused because if we are talking about moral absolutes then doesnt it mean it IS still wrong to lie even if its to save ones life? Yes it is less of a sin to lie than to let them die ...but a sin is a sin ...no?
Did Peter repent? or Was Peter convicted by Christ's words in John 21: 15-17. Notice Jesus asked three times if Peter loved him?

15 So when they had finished breakfast, Jesus said to Simon Peter, “Simon, son of John, do you love Me more than these?” He *said to Him, “Yes, Lord; You know that I love You.” He said to him, “Tend My lambs.” 16 He said to him again a second time, “Simon, son of John, do you love Me?” He said to Him, “Yes, Lord; You know that I love You.” He said to him, “Shepherd My sheep.” 17 He said to him the third time, “Simon, son of John, do you love Me?” Peter was grieved because He said to him the third time, “Do you love Me?” And he said to Him, “Lord, You know all things; You know that I love You.” Jesus *said to him, “Tend My sheep."

Yes, sin is sin. I also believe this comes down to a condition of the heart. This is a touchy situation, not one that all believers will agree on. But, I also believe we will be judged on this and much more we have done in our lives.
sinnerbybirth
Established Member

Post by sinnerbybirth »

With what I have said above, let me also say this. It is natural to justify our sins and shortcomings with a reason or excuse. Just don't make a practise out of this type of lifestyle. There is no excuse for sinning knowingly.
Alpha~Omega
Recognized Member

Post by Alpha~Omega »

Your name says it all! lol
The Neurotic Saint.
CeT-To

Post by CeT-To »

sinnerbybirth wrote:With what I have said above, let me also say this. It is natural to justify our sins and shortcomings with a reason or excuse. Just don't make a practise out of this type of lifestyle. There is no excuse for sinning knowingly.
Is desperation an excuse even tho you are knowingly lying ( sinning) ? I know i sound like badguy right now but i really want to find a firm answer y:-?

sinnerbybirth
Established Member

Post by sinnerbybirth »

CeT-To wrote:Is desperation an excuse even tho you are knowingly lying ( sinning) ? I know i sound like badguy right now but i really want to find a firm answer y:-?
I think a firm answer would be based on you conviction. Some poeple are convicted, moved, compelled, or led (by the Holy Spirit) differently. :ewink: