1 Corinthians 8 through 10, eating meat sacrificed to idols

Discussions about the Bible, and any issues raised by Scripture.
Christian2
Advanced Senior Member

1 Corinthians 8 through 10, eating meat sacrificed to idols

Post by Christian2 »

I have been over and over these Scriptures and I am confused.

1 Corinthians 8 and,

1 Corinthians 10: (NIV)

25Eat anything sold in the meat market without raising questions of conscience, 26for, "The earth is the Lord's, and everything in it."

27If some unbeliever invites you to a meal and you want to go, eat whatever is put before you without raising questions of conscience. 28But if anyone says to you, "This has been offered in sacrifice," then do not eat it, both for the sake of the man who told you and for conscience' sake — 29the other man's conscience, I mean, not yours. For why should my freedom be judged by another's conscience? 30If I take part in the meal with thankfulness, why am I denounced because of something I thank God for?

Is Paul saying Christians can or cannot eat meat sacrificed to idols?

Eating meat sacrificed to idols was forbidden Gentile Christians by the Jerusalem Council,

Acts 10:

29that you abstain from things offered to idols, from blood, from things strangled, and from sexual immorality. If you keep yourselves from these, you will do well.

Thanks.
A Y323
Recognized Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: 1 Corinthians 8 through 10, eating meat sacrificed to id

Post by A Y323 »

I think your question is answered earlier in chapter 8:

"8But food does not bring us near to God; we are no worse if we do not eat, and no better if we do. 9Be careful, however, that the exercise of your freedom does not become a stumbling block to the weak. 10For if anyone with a weak conscience sees you who have this knowledge eating in an idol's temple, won't he be emboldened to eat what has been sacrificed to idols? 11So this weak brother, for whom Christ died, is destroyed by your knowledge. 12When you sin against your brothers in this way and wound their weak conscience, you sin against Christ. 13Therefore, if what I eat causes my brother to fall into sin, I will never eat meat again, so that I will not cause him to fall."

Also take a look at verse 4: "So then, about eating food sacrificed to idols: We know that an idol is nothing at all in the world and that there is no God but one."

So Paul says that an idol is nothing; there is only one true God and no other. As long as you know that, and give thanks to God for the food, it's OK. But he also says that not everyone knows this. So if you have a brother/sister in Christ who thinks it is immoral to eat food offered to idols, then you should not do it around that person.

So basically, it's just like he says at the end of chapter 10: "31So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God. 32Do not cause anyone to stumble"

You can eat if you give the thanks to God, but you should not eat if it could cause your brother/sister in Christ to stumble.

As for the Acts passage, I think you meant Acts chapter 15. Chapter 10 is related in a way (it is about Peter's vision of the unclean animals and the Lord told him to kill and eat), but that specific verse you cited is in chapter 15. Anyway, you need to get the context from the beginning of the chapter. The council in Jerusalem wanted the newly-converted Gentiles to start following the Jewish laws (namely circumcision). Paul and Barnabas were there and were quick to disagree and debate with them about that. Eventually the council decided 'Well, if we tell them to stay away from unclean food and sexual immorality, that's good enough.' Look at Acts 15:19-21 :

19"It is my judgment, therefore, that we should not make it difficult for the Gentiles who are turning to God. 20Instead we should write to them, telling them to abstain from food polluted by idols, from sexual immorality, from the meat of strangled animals and from blood. 21For Moses has been preached in every city from the earliest times and is read in the synagogues on every Sabbath."
(that is James talking in cause you're wondering)

So instead of being hard on the Gentiles and making them follow all the Jewish laws, they decided those things were good enough because they had been taught since Moses and wouldn't be as unfamiliar.

(Bible references from NIV)
Christian2
Advanced Senior Member

Post by Christian2 »

Yes, I meant Acts 15. Thanks.

My concern was that Paul was disobeying the decision of the Jerusalem Council.

20Instead we should write to them, telling them to abstain from food polluted by idols, from sexual immorality, from the meat of strangled animals and from blood.

Although I do see where Paul warned people about abstaining from sexual immorality, I do not see where he warned his followers of all four in one sentence. I've come to the conclusion that since Paul preached orally (with follow-up letters), it is not necessary that we find that exact sentence in any of his writings.

I found 1 Corinthians 8-10 difficult to follow.

Thanks.
A Y323
Recognized Member

Post by A Y323 »

Christian2 wrote:Although I do see where Paul warned people about abstaining from sexual immorality, I do not see where he warned his followers of all four in one sentence.
As I noted in my last post, it was James that suggested those four things, not Paul.

What specifically about 1 Corinthians 8-10 do you find difficult to follow? You could try to find a good commentary to help you understand. I found this in a commentary on Acts 15, maybe it will help:
The principal barrier to social and religious unity among the Jewish and Gentile Christians was the low standard of behavior so common among the latter. Idol feasts were shameful debaucheries, marked by the most vulgar and immoral behavior, the prohibitions against pollution of idols and fornication being almost, in fact, one prohibition. In fact, it is possible that all four of these restrictions relate to idol worship. There is a wider concept, however, in which they have been honored by the historical church (see below). Clement said:

The things which pollute both the soul and the body are these: to partake of the table of demons, that is, to taste things sacrificed, or blood, or a carcase which is strangled.

Although from the Pseudo-Clementine writings, the above quotation states rather clearly that the eating of blood and things strangled was also connected with idolatrous feasts.
So the prohibition is against idol worship, not necessarily against the food itself. Apparently in Corinth, there were people who thought eating food offered to an idol was considered idol worship, and there were other people who knew that's not true. Paul's message was to those who knew eating the food is OK; they did so with no regard to their brothers/sisters in Christ who did not know it's OK.
Christian2
Advanced Senior Member

Post by Christian2 »

I found this article.

http://www.1corinthiansonlinebiblestudy ... index.html

I need to read it again.

Thanks.
A Y323
Recognized Member

Post by A Y323 »

I disagree with that article; I think it came to the wrong conclusion. The article says this:

"While Paul allows initially in his argument; he may eventually prove it wrong. This is the case in 1 Corinthians 8-10. In chapter 8, he allows those Corinthians who view themselves as being more spiritual than others to retain this false notion temporarily. However, by the end of chapter 10, those who think they have the liberty to eat meat offered to idols Paul reveals them for what they are."

But the end of 1 Corinthians 10 says this:

"30If I take part in the meal with thankfulness, why am I denounced because of something I thank God for? 31So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God. 32Do not cause anyone to stumble, whether Jews, Greeks or the church of God— 33even as I try to please everybody in every way. For I am not seeking my own good but the good of many, so that they may be saved."

Do you see the difference? The question of eating meat sacrificed to idols has a sometimes "yes"/sometimes "no" answer, not a 100% "no" answer. If your conscience tells you it is OK, then it is OK, unless you are with a brother/sister in Christ who thinks it is not OK. If your conscience tells you it is not OK, or you are with a brother/sister in Christ who thinks it is not OK, then it is not OK. Paul is pretty clear about this in his writings.

13Therefore let us stop passing judgment on one another. Instead, make up your mind not to put any stumbling block or obstacle in your brother's way. 14As one who is in the Lord Jesus, I am fully convinced that no food is unclean in itself. But if anyone regards something as unclean, then for him it is unclean. 15If your brother is distressed because of what you eat, you are no longer acting in love. Do not by your eating destroy your brother for whom Christ died. 16Do not allow what you consider good to be spoken of as evil. 17For the kingdom of God is not a matter of eating and drinking, but of righteousness, peace and joy in the Holy Spirit,
--- Romans 14:13-17

19Let us therefore make every effort to do what leads to peace and to mutual edification. 20Do not destroy the work of God for the sake of food. All food is clean, but it is wrong for a man to eat anything that causes someone else to stumble. 21It is better not to eat meat or drink wine or to do anything else that will cause your brother to fall.
--- Romans 14:19-21

8But food does not bring us near to God; we are no worse if we do not eat, and no better if we do. 9Be careful, however, that the exercise of your freedom does not become a stumbling block to the weak. 10For if anyone with a weak conscience sees you who have this knowledge eating in an idol's temple, won't he be emboldened to eat what has been sacrificed to idols? 11So this weak brother, for whom Christ died, is destroyed by your knowledge.
--- 1 Corinthians 8:8-11

27If some unbeliever invites you to a meal and you want to go, eat whatever is put before you without raising questions of conscience. 28But if anyone says to you, "This has been offered in sacrifice," then do not eat it, both for the sake of the man who told you and for conscience' sake— 29the other man's conscience, I mean, not yours. For why should my freedom be judged by another's conscience? 30If I take part in the meal with thankfulness, why am I denounced because of something I thank God for? 31So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God. 32Do not cause anyone to stumble, whether Jews, Greeks or the church of God— 33even as I try to please everybody in every way. For I am not seeking my own good but the good of many, so that they may be saved.
--- 1 Corinthians 10:27-33

16Therefore do not let anyone judge you by what you eat or drink, or with regard to a religious festival, a New Moon celebration or a Sabbath day. 17These are a shadow of the things that were to come; the reality, however, is found in Christ.
--- Colossians 2:16-17

2Such teachings come through hypocritical liars, whose consciences have been seared as with a hot iron. 3They forbid people to marry and order them to abstain from certain foods, which God created to be received with thanksgiving by those who believe and who know the truth. 4For everything God created is good, and nothing is to be rejected if it is received with thanksgiving, 5because it is consecrated by the word of God and prayer.
--- 1 Timothy 4:2-5

(Bible references NIV)
A Y323
Recognized Member

Post by A Y323 »

Hello Christian2. If you're still looking for a commentary on these chapters, here is one I would recommend: http://www.twft.com/?page=C2000

That is a link to the library of sermons by pastor Chuck Smith of Calvary Chapel. He goes through the whole Bible, so you can scroll down to find a sermon on 1 Corinthians 7-8 and another one on 1 Corinthians 9-10. You could even get the one on Acts 14-15 if you're still wondering about that. To download, you have to right click on the download link and select "save link as" and it will download as an MP3 file. If you just left click it, it will stream in your internet browser.

I've been going through these sermons myself, I've gone through Genesis, Exodus, Ecclesiastes, and currently going through Proverbs. They have all been good. I skimmed through the 1 Corinthians 7-8 and 9-10 ones last night and they are also good.

Hope this helps.
Christian2
Advanced Senior Member

Post by Christian2 »

Thanks. I'll check it out.
Christian2
Advanced Senior Member

Post by Christian2 »

A Y323 wrote:I disagree with that article; I think it came to the wrong conclusion. The article says this:

"While Paul allows initially in his argument; he may eventually prove it wrong. This is the case in 1 Corinthians 8-10. In chapter 8, he allows those Corinthians who view themselves as being more spiritual than others to retain this false notion temporarily. However, by the end of chapter 10, those who think they have the liberty to eat meat offered to idols Paul reveals them for what they are."

But the end of 1 Corinthians 10 says this:

"30If I take part in the meal with thankfulness, why am I denounced because of something I thank God for? 31So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God. 32Do not cause anyone to stumble, whether Jews, Greeks or the church of God— 33even as I try to please everybody in every way. For I am not seeking my own good but the good of many, so that they may be saved."

Do you see the difference? The question of eating meat sacrificed to idols has a sometimes "yes"/sometimes "no" answer, not a 100% "no" answer. If your conscience tells you it is OK, then it is OK, unless you are with a brother/sister in Christ who thinks it is not OK. If your conscience tells you it is not OK, or you are with a brother/sister in Christ who thinks it is not OK, then it is not OK. Paul is pretty clear about this in his writings.

13Therefore let us stop passing judgment on one another. Instead, make up your mind not to put any stumbling block or obstacle in your brother's way. 14As one who is in the Lord Jesus, I am fully convinced that no food is unclean in itself. But if anyone regards something as unclean, then for him it is unclean. 15If your brother is distressed because of what you eat, you are no longer acting in love. Do not by your eating destroy your brother for whom Christ died. 16Do not allow what you consider good to be spoken of as evil. 17For the kingdom of God is not a matter of eating and drinking, but of righteousness, peace and joy in the Holy Spirit,
--- Romans 14:13-17

19Let us therefore make every effort to do what leads to peace and to mutual edification. 20Do not destroy the work of God for the sake of food. All food is clean, but it is wrong for a man to eat anything that causes someone else to stumble. 21It is better not to eat meat or drink wine or to do anything else that will cause your brother to fall.
--- Romans 14:19-21

8But food does not bring us near to God; we are no worse if we do not eat, and no better if we do. 9Be careful, however, that the exercise of your freedom does not become a stumbling block to the weak. 10For if anyone with a weak conscience sees you who have this knowledge eating in an idol's temple, won't he be emboldened to eat what has been sacrificed to idols? 11So this weak brother, for whom Christ died, is destroyed by your knowledge.
--- 1 Corinthians 8:8-11

27If some unbeliever invites you to a meal and you want to go, eat whatever is put before you without raising questions of conscience. 28But if anyone says to you, "This has been offered in sacrifice," then do not eat it, both for the sake of the man who told you and for conscience' sake— 29the other man's conscience, I mean, not yours. For why should my freedom be judged by another's conscience? 30If I take part in the meal with thankfulness, why am I denounced because of something I thank God for? 31So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God. 32Do not cause anyone to stumble, whether Jews, Greeks or the church of God— 33even as I try to please everybody in every way. For I am not seeking my own good but the good of many, so that they may be saved.
--- 1 Corinthians 10:27-33

16Therefore do not let anyone judge you by what you eat or drink, or with regard to a religious festival, a New Moon celebration or a Sabbath day. 17These are a shadow of the things that were to come; the reality, however, is found in Christ.
--- Colossians 2:16-17

2Such teachings come through hypocritical liars, whose consciences have been seared as with a hot iron. 3They forbid people to marry and order them to abstain from certain foods, which God created to be received with thanksgiving by those who believe and who know the truth. 4For everything God created is good, and nothing is to be rejected if it is received with thanksgiving, 5because it is consecrated by the word of God and prayer.
--- 1 Timothy 4:2-5

(Bible references NIV)
Thank you for all your hard work. I am still working on this subject. LOL