Would god approve of apologetics?

Discussion about scientific issues as they relate to God and Christianity including archaeology, origins of life, the universe, intelligent design, evolution, etc.
ben_ridge
Newbie Member
Christian: No

Would god approve of apologetics?

Post by ben_ridge »

Let's pretend I'm god, and I just stumbled across this website. Here is what goes through my head:

Why do my children have such little faith? Why do they obsess over trying to prove that I exist? Why can't they just believe in me? If it is to ward off their own doubt, why can't they read my word and be at peace? I've already given them everything they need to know in a single book. So why do they seek more? I know I've charged them with converting the damned, but this is not what I had in mind. I don't want my children to save souls by arguing with them, no no no. I want them to love those around them; and through love, self-sacrifice, and good works, the world will see that my children are righteous and that I am the one true god. These arguments my children have constructed, they are filled with man's wisdom. Man's wisdom is yet in a young state and their science has much to discover... and yet my children have replaced my infallible word for man's fallible knowledge. Indeed they only supplement their arguments with tiny portions of my word when it is convenient for them. Why was my word not enough? My poor poor children, they have gone astray.
zoegirl
Old School
Christian: Yes
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: Would god approve of apologetics?

Post by zoegirl »

Because we are told in HIs word that we are to love Him with our whole heart, MIND, and body...

Because when Thomas doubted, GOd provided the evidence for him and did not rebuke him.

Because God is a God of reason and order as well as heart...

Because we are told we should know the reason we believe...
"And we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Jesus Christ"
smiley
Established Member
Sex: Male

Post by smiley »

It seems you've forgotten Jesus Himself constantly engaged in arguments on the street. And we are told to imitate His life.
"Imagine if we picked the wrong god. Every time we go to church, we're just make him madder and madder." - Homer Simpson
zoegirl
Old School

Post by zoegirl »

Good example!
sinnerbybirth
Established Member
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by sinnerbybirth »

Hey Ben,

Apologetics comes from the Greek word apologia, whick means a defense, as in a court of law. Christian apologetics involves making a case for the truth of the Christian faith.

William Lane Craig says,
"The Bible actually commands us to have such a case ready to give to any unbeliever who wants to know why we believe what we do. 1 Peter 3:15 says, "Always be prepared to make a defence [apologia] to anyone who asks you for a reason for the hope that is in you."

Check out a book titled "On Guard" by William Lane Craig

Hope this helps.
jlay
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by jlay »

First. Let's not pretend your God.

2nd. Apologetics is a pretty broad based concept.
Because when Thomas doubted, GOd provided the evidence for him and did not rebuke him.
Zoe, we musn't forget what Jesus said to Thomas. Blessed are who?

I enjoy a good deal of apologetics. And some, I see very much like Ben is saying. But, we musn't throw out the Baby with the bath water. Paul went to great lengths, speaking in the public arena and explaining many things to the pagan gentiles, and to the Jews.

If you have someone who is agnostic because they have been raised with a materialsitic world view with no exposure to the gospel, then it would be foolishness to just ask them to have faith. If their worldview is founded on materialism then it would be appropiate to expose the fallacies in such a worldview.

But I would agree to an extent that sometimes His Word is excluded in preference of man made arguments. I would be very careful of justly broadly applying 1 Pet 3:15 to the entire arean of apologetics.
And yes, it is my opinion that some of the arguments do conflict with the Word itself. But that is a much different thread.
-“The Bible treated allegorically becomes putty in the hands of the exegete.” John Walvoord

"I'm not saying scientists don't overstate their results. They do. And it's understandable, too...If you spend years working toward a certain goal and make no progress, of course you are going to spin your results in a positive light." Ivellious
zoegirl
Old School

Post by zoegirl »

Agreed...Jlay, (lol, what color is the sky? :-)

My only point, albeit quickly typed off, was referring back to the Original question of whether GOd would approve of apologetics...in revealing to Thomas his wounds, was He showing approval or disapproval? I would say He was willing to give HIs approval to investigation while affirming those who believe.
sinnerbybirth
Established Member
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by sinnerbybirth »

zoegirl wrote: My only point, albeit quickly typed off, was referring back to the Original question of whether GOd would approve of apologetics...in revealing to Thomas his wounds, was He showing approval or disapproval? I would say He was willing to give HIs approval to investigation while affirming those who believe.
I to was referring to the Original question of "Would GOD approve of apologetics" :)