Could Jesus Accept someone like this?

Are you a sincere seeker who has questions about Christianity, or a Christian with doubts about your faith? Post them here to receive a thoughtful response.
jlay
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Re: Could Jesus Accept someone like this?

Post by jlay »

Bart,
RE: reading board rules. I have. I don't see anything in there to indicate that I am repsonsible for what another poster says. In this case, FL. How you want to handle FL's comments to Kris is your perogative. (As my comments to Kris, have not crossed board lines) Simply stating my opinion that FL's harsh remarks may tread board etiquette, but still may be an appropiate response, biblically speaking.

What about the man who was crucified with Jesus? One of the gospels has Jesus forgiving this criminal man and saying that he will be in paradise. Jesus was really full of forgiveness, I am unsure whether to call him a god, or just the messiah or really someone who generally just improves a person's quality of life. But I can really take into account all of the things that made Jesus a virtuous person, someone who we should all take upon ourselves to be more alike.
Kris,

I'm not sure what you are driving at here. What is the question?

Why would being more like Jesus make you virtuous? According to what standard?
Last edited by jlay on Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-“The Bible treated allegorically becomes putty in the hands of the exegete.” John Walvoord

"I'm not saying scientists don't overstate their results. They do. And it's understandable, too...If you spend years working toward a certain goal and make no progress, of course you are going to spin your results in a positive light." Ivellious
Canuckster1127
Old School
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by Canuckster1127 »

Thanks Jlay. I think you're crossing posters here. You address the first portion to me but the quote following is not mine.

bart
Dogmatism is the comfortable intellectual framework of self-righteousness. Self-righteousness is more decadent than the worst sexual sin. ~ Dan Allender
jlay
Ultimate Member

Post by jlay »

Sure,

I'll edit to make it more clear.
-“The Bible treated allegorically becomes putty in the hands of the exegete.” John Walvoord

"I'm not saying scientists don't overstate their results. They do. And it's understandable, too...If you spend years working toward a certain goal and make no progress, of course you are going to spin your results in a positive light." Ivellious
Kristoffer
Valued Member
Christian: No

Post by Kristoffer »

The standard is that liek other people that came before him, it was plain to the eye and ear that this was a good person and emulating or copying a special man means that you pretend to be them.

Like putting on a beautiful porcilean mask on to your disfigured face and finding after 5 years that your face has changed to fit the shape of the mask.
zoegirl
Old School
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by zoegirl »

But that doesn't happen if you don't acknowledge who He was. He was not simply a good man. Read through Mere Christianity. You cannot rationally believe that Christ was simply a good person.
"And we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Jesus Christ"
Kristoffer
Valued Member

Post by Kristoffer »

i say why not? Even good people can tell stories and fibs. Even good people make mistakes. If you think Jesus had a perfect life put your hand up. y@};-
zoegirl
Old School
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by zoegirl »

my hand is up...

tell you what, go read through Mere CHristianity and while you are reading it we can dialogue here about why Jesus cannot simply be a good person.
"And we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Jesus Christ"
truthman
Established Member

Post by truthman »

Kristoffer wrote:i say why not? Even good people can tell stories and fibs. Even good people make mistakes. If you think Jesus had a perfect life put your hand up. y@};-
The Bible says Jesus was perfect. I totally believe He was perfect. He was the sinless Son of God.
"Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal. And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries, and all knowledge; and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, and have not charity, I am nothing. " 1 Corinthians 13:1-2
jlay
Ultimate Member

Post by jlay »

Jesus was perfect in His standing before God in relation to His Law.

You can not be saved and deny the perfect life of Christ. It is who Christ is. The perfect, spotless Lamb of God. Obviously it depends on how you are defining perfect.
Even good people make mistakes.
Mistakes are not sins. The bible says, that sin is transgression of the law. If a child messes up tying their shoes, are they sinning? No. Did Jesus look up from the manger at the wise men, and speak in perfect Aramaic? I doubt it.

FearlessLlearsy
Established Member

Post by FearlessLlearsy »

Now, i understand more where Kris is coming from.... y:-?
Live a life with no FEAR, for the battle is already won. The Devil and his minions only cry in agonizing pain, realizing the victory is OURS.
Murray
Esteemed Senior Member
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by Murray »

I mean if he truley repents then yes he is forgiven

He must acknowledge what is wrong with his sins and do his best never to recommit them
in nomine patri et fili spiritu sancte
Murray
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Murray »

and @ kris, my hand are up :)

y=;
in nomine patri et fili spiritu sancte
SnowDrops
Established Member

Post by SnowDrops »

^Me too :esmile: .
The first step to learning is to admit that you don't know.
Danieltwotwenty
Ultimate Member

Post by Danieltwotwenty »

Both my hands are up, praise the Lord.
1Tim1:15-17
Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners of whom I am the worst. But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his immense patience as an example for those who would believe in him and receive eternal life. Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory for ever and ever.Amen.
1over137
Technical Admin

Post by 1over137 »

jlay wrote: Mistakes are not sins. The bible says, that sin is transgression of the law. If a child messes up tying their shoes, are they sinning? No. Did Jesus look up from the manger at the wise men, and speak in perfect Aramaic? I doubt it.
What I wonder about is how the two following verses fit together:

John 2:3-4
3 When the wine ran out, the mother of Jesus said to Him, “They have no wine.” 4 And Jesus said to her, “Woman, what does that have to do with us? My hour has not yet come.”

Exodus 20:12
12 “Honor your father and your mother, that your days may be prolonged in the land which the Lord your God gives you.

To quote some source: Such rudeness and irrelevance packed into one short statement!

Was it rude?
But examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
-- 1 Thessalonians 5:21

For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.
-- Philippians 1:6

#foreverinmyheart