Word Faith movement

Discussions surrounding the various other faiths who deviate from mainstream Christian doctrine such as LDS and the Jehovah's Witnesses.
Anonymous

Word Faith movement

Post by Anonymous »

Hello everybody!
Even though I have posted this subject on Aberrant Christianity which might give you my personal idea about it, could you tell me about YOUR experience about this phenomenon?
Thanks!
Murray
Esteemed Senior Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided

Re: Word Faith movement

Post by Murray »

what?
in nomine patri et fili spiritu sancte
kmr
Valued Member

Post by kmr »

My experience is that God grants what is prayed for if in accordance with His name and will, but not always what we ask for (or when we ask for it).
- KMR

Dominum meum amō!
neo-x
Ultimate Member

Post by neo-x »

I am against the idea that God grants us everything we pray for, even if we ask him in his name. It is all up to him, sometimes he does, sometimes he doesn't. A more careful approach is that we should know what to pray and especially when to pray. Christians today sound more like beggars. They ask for anything and everything, even the things that they can do themselves. Sorry if it sounds harsh to anyone, I mean no ill intent by it. Just saying what I have observed. This kind of 'pray whatever you like in Jesus' name and you'll have it' is a raging trend today and sadly it leads more people to stumble. I have seen this in my church, sorry ex-church.
It would be a blessing if they missed the cairns and got lost on the way back. Or if
the Thing on the ice got them tonight.

I could only turn and stare in horror at the chief surgeon.
Death by starvation is a terrible thing, Goodsir, continued Stanley.
And with that we went below to the flame-flickering Darkness of the lower deck
and to a cold almost the equal of the Dante-esque Ninth Circle Arctic Night
without.

//johnadavid.wordpress.com
kmr
Valued Member

Post by kmr »

Yeah, I agree, because we often pray for things that aren't in his name, such as financial success. The deal is that back in the day, "in my name" meant in accordance with his will, it was a really big deal and was meant to be taken as seriously as swearing by your own death, not just tagging "in Jesus' name, amen" at the end of every little thing you pray for. It's not some secret code, it is a serious commitment to following God's will.
- KMR

Dominum meum amō!
neo-x
Ultimate Member

Post by neo-x »

Exactly and in a more divine approach it is a means to serve him, as you correctly said, rather than have your wishlist granted.
It would be a blessing if they missed the cairns and got lost on the way back. Or if
the Thing on the ice got them tonight.

I could only turn and stare in horror at the chief surgeon.
Death by starvation is a terrible thing, Goodsir, continued Stanley.
And with that we went below to the flame-flickering Darkness of the lower deck
and to a cold almost the equal of the Dante-esque Ninth Circle Arctic Night
without.

//johnadavid.wordpress.com
Legatus
Established Member
Location: California, USA, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way Galaxy

Post by Legatus »

It should be noted that these 'faith teachers" want you to "prove" you faith by sending them a "faith gift" or "seed faith", such as say $500 or $1000. They often say that God will reward you a hunded fold. You should ask them then why they do not send YOU money. The most likely reason therefore that they invented this idea of word faith is because they wanted your money (tax free!). Telling people that God will give them anything they want is something people want to hear, and so, to get your money, these faith teachers tell you what your itching ears want to hear 2 Tim 4:3 .

In the time of the apostles, anyone who demanded money like that was denied any leadership position.
God had a very specific response to linking the power of the Holy Spirit with money,as we see here:
Acts 8:18 When Simon saw that the Spirit was given at the laying on of the apostles' hands, he offered them money
Acts 8:19 and said, "Give me also this ability so that everyone on whom I lay my hands may receive the Holy Spirit."
Acts 8:20 Peter answered: "May your money perish with you, because you thought you could buy the gift of God with money!
Acts 8:21 You have no part or share in this ministry, because your heart is not right before God.
Acts 8:22 Repent of this wickedness and pray to the Lord. Perhaps he will forgive you for having such a thought in your heart.
Acts 8:23 For I see that you are full of bitterness and captive to sin."
Thus we see that acording to the apostles (and God), sending money to a faith teacher and expecting power in return is "wickedness".

And these faith teachers always claim that the power of their faith gives them the ability to do miracles, do miracles (actually, just clever stories about miracles) mean that you are extra holy and anointed by God, what did Jesus say about that?
Mat 7:22 Many will say to me on that day, 'Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and in your name drive out demons and perform many miracles?'
Mat 7:23 Then I will tell them plainly, 'I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!'
Thus we see that Jesus does not equate "miracles" with even being a Christian or being saved, much less being "anointed" (the word faith teachers often use about themselves).

We not only see that "wickedness" and evildoers" are said of these teachers, but extra wickedness, as seen here, because they teach it to others.
James 3:1 Not many of you should presume to be teachers, my brothers, because you know that we who teach will be judged more strictly.
Thus they will not only be judged as wicked and evil, but judged with extra strickness. In short, there is a special place in hell for the faith teachers.
CallMeDave
Valued Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by CallMeDave »

Anonymous wrote:Hello everybody!
Even though I have posted this subject on Aberrant Christianity which might give you my personal idea about it, could you tell me about YOUR experience about this phenomenon?
Thanks!
An excellent book for you to read would be Dr. Walter Martins 'Kingdom of the Cults' which covers Word of Faith Theology and toxic Christian Cults who claim to be Christian yet deny essential historical Doctrines of the Christian Faith. After a person understands the basic toxic theology of the WOF movement, you can turn on TBN (Trinity Broadcast Network) and easily pick out the Televangelists promoting these heretical teachings ; look for themes of 'Name it and Claim it' / the 'Prosperity Gospel' / '10 Fold increase' which God is 'obligated' to do for you / speaking words from your mouth can make things or situations materialize or disappear, et al .... Heres some more popular ones : Joyce Meyer, Creflo Dollar, Maurice Cerrilo , Paula White , Paul and Jan Crouch (owners of TBN) , TD Jakes, Benny Hinn, Ken Copeland.
"I never asserted such an absurd proposition, that something could arise without a Cause" -- staunch atheist Philosopher David Hume.

"What this world now needs is Christian love or compassion" -- staunch atheist Bertrand Russell.