Revelation 8:8 being fullfilled?

Discussions on Christian eschatology including different views pertaining to Jesus' second coming, rapture and tribulation, the millennium, and so forth.
Anonymiss
Recognized Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided

Revelation 8:8 being fullfilled?

Post by Anonymiss »

There's a lot going around right now with people connecting Revelation 8:8 to the current Gulf of Mexico oil catastrophe. However, if you read two previous verses: Revelation 8:5 and Revelation 8:7 - they sound more akin to a chain of huge meteor/asteroid impact events.. nothing like that has happened in recent years to my knowledge?

I'd like to hear the thoughts on this of others here.
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member
Sex: It's Complicated
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Re: Revelation 8:8 being fullfilled?

Post by Furstentum Liechtenstein »

I don't see Revelation 8:8 in the BP catastrophe. First, the «mountain burning with fire» is missing. Second, I doubt that a third of the ships of the world will be destroyed (Re 8:9) as a result of this oil spill.

FL
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +
jlay
Ultimate Member
Sex: Male

Post by jlay »

the «mountain burning with fire» is missing.
This whole mess began with the oil platform exploding in a ball of fire and collapsing into the sea.
-“The Bible treated allegorically becomes putty in the hands of the exegete.” John Walvoord

"I'm not saying scientists don't overstate their results. They do. And it's understandable, too...If you spend years working toward a certain goal and make no progress, of course you are going to spin your results in a positive light." Ivellious
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member

jlay wrote:
the «mountain burning with fire» is missing.
This whole mess began with the oil platform exploding in a ball of fire and collapsing into the sea.
That's a stretch if I ever heard one! Let's see if a third of the world's ships are taken out by this catastrophe (Re 8:9) and a third of sea creatures are destroyed.

Where are the effects of the first trumpet? (Re 8:7) Nowhere, they are nowhere.

FL
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +
jlay
Ultimate Member

Post by jlay »

FL,

Do seven lamp stands look like seven churches?

I'm not saying what is or isn't. I'm simply saying what did happen involved fire. I'm just addressing what was said to be the 'missing point.' I personally don't take any eschatological position regarding man made or natural disasters. Lord knows we've had enough Pat Robertsons.
But due to the symbolic language of Revelation it is quite likely that these events will play out veiled to most of the world. It won't be 'obvious,' so to speak.

Do you really expect a literal seven headed beast rising out of the sea?
-“The Bible treated allegorically becomes putty in the hands of the exegete.” John Walvoord

"I'm not saying scientists don't overstate their results. They do. And it's understandable, too...If you spend years working toward a certain goal and make no progress, of course you are going to spin your results in a positive light." Ivellious
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member

Jlay,

you're taking this far further than the original post intended. Sticking strictly to Revelation 8:8, the present spill doesn't fit the prophecy because,

1. 8:7 is supposed to come before 8:8 and nothing unusual happened in the world before BP's problem.
2. I doubt a third of marine life and a third of ships will be destroyed as a result of this oil spill.
3. Rev 6 and Rev 7 (and the Tribulation) must take place before Rev 8:8.

Whenever something unusual happens, religious people are quick to force-fit the event into prophecy. Don't worry, when the Real Thing happens, there will be no doubt about it.

FL

+ + +

+ + +
jlay
Ultimate Member

Post by jlay »

Whenever something unusual happens, religious people are quick to force-fit the event into prophecy.

Agree
Don't worry, when the Real Thing happens, there will be no doubt about it.
Disagree.

Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member

jlay wrote: Don't worry, when the Real Thing happens, there will be no doubt about it.

Disagree.
Agree. That was only my opinion.

FL

+ + +

+ + +
Anonymiss
Recognized Member
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by Anonymiss »

Somewhere in Revelation does it hint anything about climate change?
ChrisB
Established Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by ChrisB »

Anonymiss wrote:Somewhere in Revelation does it hint anything about climate change?
It might, but I'm not entirely sure on this one.

"Therefore, since all things will be dissolved, what manner of persons ought you to be in holy conduct and godliness, looking for and hastening the coming of the day of God, because of which the heavens will be dissolved, being on fire, and the elements will melt with fervent heat?" 2 Peter 3:11, 12

"Then the fourth angel poured out his bowl on the sun, and power was given to him to scorch men with fire. And men were scorched with great heat, and they blasphemed the name of God who has power over these plagues; and they did not repent or give Him glory." Revelation 16:8, 9
"Materialists and madmen never have doubts." -G.K. Chesterton