John 16:7, why does Jesus have to leave in order for the Com

General discussions about Christianity including salvation, heaven and hell, Christian history and so on.
Christian2
Advanced Senior Member

John 16:7, why does Jesus have to leave in order for the Com

Post by Christian2 »

Nevertheless I tell you the truth; It is expedient for you that I go away: for if I go not away, the Comforter will not come unto you; but if I depart, I will send him unto you. (John 16:7)

I've read a lot of commentaries on this one today. I would appreciate some thoughts from you all.

Thanks.

PS: Here is John Gill's commentary:

The Spirit of God in some sense had come, before the death of Christ; he had appeared in the creation of all things out of nothing, as a joint Creator with the Father and Son; he was come as a spirit of prophecy upon the inspired writers, and others; the Old Testament saints had received him as a spirit of faith; he had been given to Christ as man, without measure, and the disciples had been partakers of his gifts and graces; but he was not come in so peculiar a manner as he afterwards did; as the promise of the Father, the glorifier of Christ, the comforter of his people, the spirit of truth, and the reprover of the world: there are reasons to be given, why the Spirit of God should not come in such a manner before, as after the death of Christ. The order of the three divine persons in the Trinity, and in the economy of man's salvation, required such a method to be observed; that the Father should first, and for a while, be more especially manifested; next the Son, and then the Spirit: besides, our Lord has given a reason himself, why the Spirit "was not yet given, because Jesus was not yet glorified", Joh 7:39; And the coming of the Spirit as a comforter, and the spirit of truth, was to be through the intercession, and by the mission of Christ; and therefore it was proper he should go away first, in order to send him; add to all this, that if Christ had not gone away or died, there would have been nothing for the Spirit to have done; no blood to sprinkle; no righteousness to reveal and bring near; no salvation to apply; or any of the things of Christ, and blessings of grace, to have taken and shown; all which are owing to the death of Christ, and which show the expediency of it: the expediency of Christ's death for the mission of the Spirit to his disciples, is very conspicuous; for hereby they were comforted and supported under a variety of troubles; were led into all truth, and so furnished for their ministerial work; and were made abundantly successful in it, that being attended with the demonstration of the Spirit and of power.
TallMan
Established Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male

Re: John 16:7, why does Jesus have to leave in order for the

Post by TallMan »

To fulfil Old Testament pattern: Jesus had to return to the Father, present himself / his blood in the Holy of Holies for the "Shekinah" glory to descend - for the Holy Spirit to be given.

Receiving the Spirit like they did at Pentecost is in fact receiving Jesus in the true sense:

"Even the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him:
but ye know him; for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you.
I will not leave you comfortless: I will come to you.
Yet a little while, and the world seeth me no more; but ye see me: because I live, ye shall live also.
At that day ye shall know that I am in my Father, and ye in me, and I in you." (John 14:17-20)
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Post by B. W. »

Christian2 wrote:Nevertheless I tell you the truth; It is expedient for you that I go away: for if I go not away, the Comforter will not come unto you; but if I depart, I will send him unto you. (John 16:7)

I've read a lot of commentaries on this one today. I would appreciate some thoughts from you all.

Thanks.

PS: Here is John Gill's commentary:

The Spirit of God in some sense had come, before the death of Christ; he had appeared in the creation of all things out of nothing, as a joint Creator with the Father and Son; he was come as a spirit of prophecy upon the inspired writers, and others; the Old Testament saints had received him as a spirit of faith; he had been given to Christ as man, without measure, and the disciples had been partakers of his gifts and graces; but he was not come in so peculiar a manner as he afterwards did; as the promise of the Father, the glorifier of Christ, the comforter of his people, the spirit of truth, and the reprover of the world: there are reasons to be given, why the Spirit of God should not come in such a manner before, as after the death of Christ. The order of the three divine persons in the Trinity, and in the economy of man's salvation, required such a method to be observed; that the Father should first, and for a while, be more especially manifested; next the Son, and then the Spirit: besides, our Lord has given a reason himself, why the Spirit "was not yet given, because Jesus was not yet glorified", Joh 7:39; And the coming of the Spirit as a comforter, and the spirit of truth, was to be through the intercession, and by the mission of Christ; and therefore it was proper he should go away first, in order to send him; add to all this, that if Christ had not gone away or died, there would have been nothing for the Spirit to have done; no blood to sprinkle; no righteousness to reveal and bring near; no salvation to apply; or any of the things of Christ, and blessings of grace, to have taken and shown; all which are owing to the death of Christ, and which show the expediency of it: the expediency of Christ's death for the mission of the Spirit to his disciples, is very conspicuous; for hereby they were comforted and supported under a variety of troubles; were led into all truth, and so furnished for their ministerial work; and were made abundantly successful in it, that being attended with the demonstration of the Spirit and of power.
For several reason which Gill brings out as well as sealing as Paul brings out 2 Co 1:22 - 2 Co 5:5 - Eph 1:13, 14 - Eph 4:30

other's ...Romans 8:9, 15-16, 23
-
-
-
Science is man's invention - creation is God's
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Not my Circus....not my monkeys
Christian2
Advanced Senior Member

Post by Christian2 »

OK, thanks guys. :)
DMZ3000
Newbie Member
Christian: No
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Post by DMZ3000 »

I get that, essentially, his death brought the coming of the holy spirit. The holy spirit allowed the disciples to do everything Jesus had been able to. In fact, jesus promised that everyone who believed in jesus and received the spirit would be able to perform such miracles.

So why isn't there a SINGLE christian who can so much as bend a spoon with his/her mind/spirit?
rachel1
Newbie Member
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Schroeder's Creation Perspective

Re: John 16:7, why does Jesus have to leave in order for the Com

Post by rachel1 »

I don't think you quite understand the meaning of the phrase "Holy Spirit". To break it down, there are three basic parts of God making up one greater being: the Father (creator), the Son (Jesus Christ), and the Holy Spirit (?). So the question here is "What is the last part of the Trinity?" Well, it's really complicated but at the same time, it's not. So basically, as an atheist (which is what I am assuming you are, or an agnostic) you can scientifically realize that every human being has a consciousness through which they experience life. The individual part of this is your soul. What makes individuality matter, and what makes you who you are. However, through Christ we have all received a collective part of consciousness: The Holy Spirit. What this is is essentially the Lord's love living in each and every one of us, and our way as people to pray, give thanks, and make unbelievers question why we are the way we are. Jesus was never talking about literal, physical miracles (although telekinetically bending silverware is hardly a miracle) but he was talking about moving people towards the love of an omnipotent, omniscient, and omnipresent God who makes himself evident to us every day.

I'm not a pastor or a priest, and I am certainly not trying to brainwash you. I am curious about your misconceptions of the Bible though. If you have any more questions, feel free to DM me. Hope this helped! Have a good day no matter what!
jpbg33

Re: John 16:7, why does Jesus have to leave in order for the Com

Post by jpbg33 »

First I am one with little faith. Do I believe yes, but I see my self as the less of them all and God has answered many prayers of mine from little to grate and some He hasn't answered yet but He well.

Some simple prayers that I have had answered

1. I prayed for the wind to blow a glider off of a roof twice and it happened ones for me and ones for my nephew.
2. I prayed for candy to come out of a candy machine which happened and yes I paid for it.
3. I prayed for a car to start and it started me and my brother was left out in the snow and the car would not start we tried to start it several times but it wouldn't so we prayed and asked God to let it start and trued the key and it started right up we went home and kill it then just to see what would happen we turned the key and it would start any more.
There were many more, and all of them were witnessed except for one of the gliders.

bigger prays I have had answered

1. I prayed for God to let a man and his wife have a child that couldn't have kids and with in a month or so I was give word that she was pregnant and they are now proud parents of a little girl.
2. I have prayed for a broken marriage to be put back together and it was.
and there were more I'm memory fells me though.

The biggest was I pray for my one of my uncles to get saved all my life then just about a week before he died he asked God to save him.

So don't tell me miracles are not real.

The reason they are not happening all the time is first most people who clam to be Christians are not second when you pray far someone they most have faith that God will heal them as well as the one praying far them and third some time people do not have enough faith. Forth some times God is using us in the circumstances that we are in. There are other reasons but these are the ones I see.

God still works miracles big and small