Neanderthal genome reveals interbreeding with humans

Discussion about scientific issues as they relate to God and Christianity including archaeology, origins of life, the universe, intelligent design, evolution, etc.
Gman
Old School
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Neanderthal genome reveals interbreeding with humans

Post by Gman »

I found this article to be interesting.. But not surprising.

How closely are Neanderthals related to us?

"They are so closely related that some researchers group them and us as a single species. "I would see them as a form of humans that are bit more different than humans are today, but not much," says Svante Pääbo, a palaeogeneticist at the Max Planck Institute in Leipzig, Germany, whose team sequenced the Neanderthal genome.

The common ancestor of humans and Neanderthals lived in Africa around half a million years ago. After that, the ancestors of Neanderthals moved north and eventually made it to Europe and Asia. Our ancestors, meanwhile, stuck around Africa until about 100,000 years ago before eventually conquering the globe. Neanderthals died out around 28,000 years ago."

What did they find?

"Any human whose ancestral group developed outside Africa has a little Neanderthal in them — between 1 and 4 per cent of their genome, Pääbo's team estimates. In other words, humans and Neanderthals had sex and had hybrid offspring. A small amount of that genetic mingling survives in "non-Africans" today: Neanderthals didn't live in Africa, which is why sub-Saharan African populations have no trace of Neanderthal DNA."

Source: http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn1 ... tml?page=1
The heart cannot rejoice in what the mind rejects as false - Galileo

We learn from history that we do not learn from history - Georg Friedrich Wilhelm Hegel

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable, if anything is excellent or praiseworthy, think about such things. -Philippians 4:8
WConn
Established Member
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided

Re: Neanderthal genome reveals interbreeding with humans

Post by WConn »

If you had ever met my dad you would have known immediately that neanderthals interbred with humans.
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member
Sex: It's Complicated
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Re: Neanderthal genome reveals interbreeding with humans

Post by Furstentum Liechtenstein »

WConn wrote:If you had ever met my dad you would have known immediately that neanderthals interbred with humans.
uh...would it be uncouth on my part to repeat the common aphorism that «the apple doesn't fall far from the tree»?

FL y:o)
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +